Could A Transit Center Work/Be A Benefit In Some Of The Boroughs?

EE Broadway Local

I've a concept to propose for discussion: In some of the Boroughs (Staten Island, Queens, Brooklyn, and The Bronx), where multi bus lines meet at common points (i.e. The Hub, Kings Plaza, Hillside Avenue and 179th Street), if space was available, could a transit center (a place where multi bus lines that meet at a common hub are assigned a bus bay, shade and benches are provided and an information booth (where a schedule and a map of each of the bus lines that serve the transit center are posted and restrooms are present, easing transfers and congestion) work/be a benefit in New York City?

We already have one on Staten Island... The Eltingville Transit Center which was opened back in 2004. My question is prior to the Transit Center, where did all of the express and local buses terminate at?? Anybody know? :confused: Of course the St. George Terminal is another one, as is the terminal in Port Richmond, but they aren't official Transit Center's per se.

Queens/Brooklyn: Ridgewood Intermodal Terminal

Queens:

Jamaica Bus Terminal- Maybe label as Bay

74th St Bus Terminal/Victor Moore Bus Terminal

Brooklyn: Washington Plaza Bus

Staten Island:

St. George

Eltingville Transit Center:

Nassau County:

Roosevelt Field Mall- Relocate bus stops to 3rd floor of parking lot or have Simon Malls provide free bus/van service from mall entrance and bus stop.

Rosa Park Hempstead Transit Center

Long Beach Station (Organized)

Westchester County

New Rochelle Intermodal Transit Center

White Plains TransCenter

Yonkers- Gettys Square (Make this area more organize and made Bee-Line bus stops easy to find.)

We already have one on Staten Island... The Eltingville Transit Center which was opened back in 2004. My question is prior to the Transit Center, where did all of the express and local buses terminate at?? Anybody know? :confused: Of course the St. George Terminal is another one, as is the terminal in Port Richmond, but they aren't official Transit Center's per se.

Simple. Buses stopped at Richmond Ave or Arthur Kill. The (S79) (S59) (S55) (S56) stopped on Richmond Ave and The S74 on Arthur Kill.

Prior to opening of The Eltingville TC was basically a 'parking lot. The X1 and the other Manhattan express buses would stop at that parking lot. One of reasons the Eltingville TC was created was the high number of riders who were hit in accidents at Arthur Kill/Richmond Ave.

And to EE question, due to lack of space there not many places that could create a 'Transit Center.' Bus Hubs like Downtown Brooklyn, East Village (4th Ave/8th Street)Main & Roosevelt-Downtown Flushing, Canarise-Rockaway Parkway that all in dire of them.

So hope it answers the questions.

Brooklyn has Ridgewood Intermodal Center, like how Yuki pointed out.

As Shortline Bus said, many places just don't have the space. Brooklyn does have some locales that are transit center-worthy, though:

Triangle Junction/The Junction, Atlantic Terminal, Williamsburg Bridge Plaza, Stillwell Avenue Station, Broadway Junction, Kings Plaza, the already-mentioned Rockaway Parkway Station, and Downtown Brooklyn.

Granted, some of these places already have varying degrees of transit center-ness.

EDIT: The Triangle Junction at Flatbush Av (2)(5) (the Target/Applebee's/etc.) used to be a big parking lot. Imagine if they made a transit center out of that...

Yuki EE local was asking what places in NYC that a new bus hub/transit center could be bulit? You listed those that are already bulit.

Queens/Brooklyn: Ridgewood Intermodal Terminal

Queens:

Jamaica Bus Terminal- Maybe label as Bay

74th St Bus Terminal/Victor Moore Bus Terminal

Brooklyn: Washington Plaza Bus

Staten Island:

St. George

Eltingville Transit Center:

Nassau County:

Roosevelt Field Mall- Relocate bus stops to 3rd floor of parking lot or have Simon Malls provide free bus/van service from mall entrance and bus stop.

Rosa Park Hempstead Transit Center

Long Beach Station (Organized)

Westchester County

New Rochelle Intermodal Transit Center

White Plains TransCenter

Yonkers- Gettys Square (Make this area more organize and made Bee-Line bus stops easy to find.)

Oopps.

I meant to organize some transit center for easy to find bus when bus show up as NOT IN SERVICE.

At Roosevelt Field Mall, when I try to catch 12:30 N93 Nassau Hub Shuttle, he pulled up to N93 as NEXT BUS PLEASE. When he change to N93, I rush to front door, but only ended up leaving me behind.

Maybe it need to be organized all bus terminals clear.

Brooklyn has Ridgewood Intermodal Center, like how Yuki pointed out.

As Shortline Bus said, many places just don't have the space. Brooklyn does have some locales that are transit center-worthy, though:

Triangle Junction/The Junction, Atlantic Terminal, Williamsburg Bridge Plaza, Stillwell Avenue Station, Broadway Junction, Kings Plaza, the already-mentioned Rockaway Parkway Station, and Downtown Brooklyn.

Granted, some of these places already have varying degrees of transit center-ness.

EDIT: The Triangle Junction at Flatbush Av (2)(5) (the Target/Applebee's/etc.) used to be a big parking lot. Imagine if they made a transit center out of that...

I'll comment on every last one of those.... and yes, I remember the old municipal parking lot - I used to chain my bike to the fencing when I would ride out to Bulletproof comics..... That was a huge waste of space, though... at least the one out in canarsie is used; if you saw 10 vehicles in that old parking lot by the junction, that was considered high.....

- The junction.... only (full) routes that terminate there are the Q35 & the B11.... sure, you have the short turn B44's & short turn B103's also... but to have the B41, the B6, the B103, and the BM2 deviate to some central point where a transit center would be situated, I'm sure you know the repercussions of doing that.... and I'm not even referring to the dollar vans that would attempt to steal passengers

- Atlantic Terminal, forget it.... two words.

Brooklyn Nets.

You don't have transit centers @ stadium facilities..... that would be like havin the sturgis motorcycle rally at JFK airport; chaos all over the place... lol....

- WBP... would be difficult to pull off, but at least the space for buses is most definitely there.....

- Stillwell av... well, what do you think mermaid loop is, bro.....

Only route in the vicinity that doesn't serve it, is the B36....

- Broadway Junction.... has the potential, I agree with you here.... It'd be easy to pull off too; all you'd have to do is ban taxis (or any other traffic) from using van sinderen b/w broadway & fulton st..... in the process, you can move the B12 & the B25 there too....

it would resemble something very similar to how NJT's buses serve Newark-Penn....

- Kings plaza, pointless to turn that into a transit center.... the current scenario is as good as you're gonna get.... Suffice it to say, kings plaza isn't a major transfer point anyway.... it's not like roosevelt field or smith haven mall.....

- Rockaway parkway... I also agree with you here....

Declare eminent domain on that bank, and use up a couple sq yards of that municipal parking lot & we could be in business..... lol....

- Downtown brooklyn, agree here also.... I would make that entire square block binding johnson st, tillary st, cadman plaza E & cadman plaza W a (where they got that small war vets memorial) a transit center.... an underground passageway would have to be carved out from where the transit center would be situated, to the subway (borough hall) to make it work; basically an entrance to the subway at/around tillary st....

without lookin at a timetable or a map, do you know exactly where the B62 & the B45 terminate (don't have to answer that here in a post, just say it to yourself or w/e as you're readin this).... just tryna make a small point in mentioning those 2 routes....

Are you sure? I could've sworn it opened in 2007

Are you sure? I could've sworn it opened in 2007

Eltingville transit center?

nah fam, it was well before '07.... think about it, the S89 started running back in '07....

ETC was propped up well before the S89 came to fruition....

I'm not 100% sure, but '04 sounds about right.... either '03 or '04....

I'll comment on every last one of those.... and yes, I remember the old municipal parking lot - I used to chain my bike to the fencing when I would ride out to Bulletproof comics..... That was a huge waste of space, though... at least the one out in canarsie is used; if you saw 10 vehicles in that old parking lot by the junction, that was considered high.....

- The junction.... only (full) routes that terminate there are the Q35 & the B11.... sure, you have the short turn B44's & short turn B103's also... but to have the B41, the B6, the B103, and the BM2 deviate to some central point where a transit center would be situated, I'm sure you know the repercussions of doing that.... and I'm not even referring to the dollar vans that would attempt to steal passengers

- Atlantic Terminal, forget it.... two words.

Brooklyn Nets.

You don't have transit centers @ stadium facilities..... that would be like havin the sturgis motorcycle rally at JFK airport; chaos all over the place... lol....

- WBP... would be difficult to pull off, but at least the space for buses is most definitely there.....

- Broadway Junction.... has the potential, I agree with you here.... It'd be easy to pull off too; all you'd have to do is ban taxis (or any other traffic) from using van sinderen b/w broadway & fulton st..... in the process, you can move the B12 & the B25 there too....

it would resemble something very similar to how NJT's buses serve Newark-Penn....

- Kings plaza, pointless to turn that into a transit center.... the current scenario is as good as you're gonna get.... Suffice it to say, kings plaza isn't a major transfer point anyway.... it's not like roosevelt field or smith haven mall.....

- Rockaway parkway... I also agree with you here....

Declare eminent domain on that bank, and use up a couple sq yards of that municipal parking lot & we could be in business..... lol....

- Downtown brooklyn, agree here also.... I would make that entire square block binding johnson st, tillary st, cadman plaza E & cadman plaza W a (where they got that small war vets memorial) a transit center.... an underground passageway would have to be carved out from where the transit center would be situated, to the subway (borough hall) to make it work; basically an entrance to the subway at/around tillary st....

without lookin at a timetable or a map, do you know exactly where the B62 & the B45 terminate (don't have to answer that here in a post, just say it to yourself or w/e as you're readin this).... just tryna make a small point in mentioning those 2 routes....

The (B45) terminates across the street from the BOE. The (B62) terminates in front of 130 Livingston Street. They both terminate near the Transit Museum. Those two as well as the (B54) have their own terminal downtown.....

The (B45) terminates across the street from the BOE. The (B62) terminates in front of 130 Livingston Street. They both terminate near the Transit Museum. Those two as well as the (B54) have their own terminal downtown.....

yeah, you get the point....

the B54 is another route that fits the bill.....

Eltingville transit center?

nah fam, it was well before '07.... think about it, the S89 started running back in '07....

ETC was propped up well before the S89 came to fruition....

I'm not 100% sure, but '04 sounds about right.... either '03 or '04....

You're right. I got it confused. The buses didn't start serving it directly until '07

marcus+oakley_yes+indeed+lion.jpg

Which is what I meant by "some of them already have some degree of transit center-ness."

Yeah. I was wondering whether to even put down KP. I mean, does anyone transfer there? I mean, the only bus routes there, are the B3, B41, B46 :P

[kidding, kidding]

If not for the 18 months they shared the stop, you could say the B62 stole the B57's terminal :)

While we're at it, why does the 26 to Ridgewood run down on Jay instead of Adams?

Yeah. I was wondering whether to even put down KP. I mean, does anyone transfer there? I mean, the only bus routes there, are the B3, B41, B46 :P

[kidding, kidding]

If not for the 18 months they shared the stop, you could say the B62 stole the B57's terminal :)

While we're at it, why does the 26 to Ridgewood run down on Jay instead of Adams?

most amount of xferring (as you probably know) that occurs around KP, either involves the Q35, B2, or the B3.... I'm willin to say the vast majority of w/e xfers that takes place w/ the B47 at KP, is for the B3 itself....

the B62/57 thing, sure, you could look at it like that... I mean, they couldn't have the B62 (after the old B61 split) have the same terminal over there w/ the (current) 61 & the 65...

far as the 26 using jay... probably has somethin to do w/ the rest of the ridgewood routes using adams.... a way of serving another corridor; not much of a rhyme or reason to it....

The (B26) route down Jay is a remnant from back in the day when the route terminated on Johnson-Adams Street.......

"U can take me out of Brooklyn, but u can't take Brooklyn out of me!!!"

Archived