+Select-Bus-Service+ riders taken to court

Via Garibaldi 8

According to a report on NY1, several +Select-Bus-Service+ riders have been handed summonses on routes like the M15. Passengers claim that at the stops they boarded at, all of the ticket machines were broken. They even took out their Unlimited Metrocards to prove that they were not trying to beat the fare but were still served a $100.00 summons. While the (MTA) admits that in some cases machines at some stops were out of service they say that overall the machines are working 90% of the time.

Passengers hit with these summonses as a result of the broken machines are told that they will still have to appear in court where they still may be ordered to pay the $100.00 fine.

The report was an exclusive report on TV tonight (NY1) and is not the NY1 website at the moment, but what I posted above is the gist of the story. What do you think of this practice by the (MTA) of giving passengers fines even if the machines are shown to be broken?

According to a report on NY1, several +Select-Bus-Service+ riders have been handed summonses on routes like the M15. Passengers claim that at the stops they boarded at, all of the ticket machines were broken. They even took out their Unlimited Metrocards to prove that they were not trying to beat the fare but were still served a $100.00 summons. While the (MTA) admits that in some cases machines at some stops were out of service they say that overall the machines are working 90% of the time.

Passengers hit with these summonses as a result of the broken machines are told that they will still have to appear in court where they still may be ordered to pay the $100.00 fine.

The report is was an exclusive report on TV tonight (NY1) and is not the NY1 website at the moment, but what I posted above is the gist of the story. What do you think of this practice by the (MTA) of giving passengers fines even if the machines are shown to be broken?

Theft! Robbery. The (MTA)'s engaging in a stick-up of these folks who got on at stops with busted machines if they make them pay that $100.00 fine. Fine for what?

I find it hard to believe ALL the machines at an SBS station were broken at the same time

It's very possible. I have an Unlimited Express Bus Plus card and had to pick up a bid Downtown back in July by Water St. I decided to take the M15 SBS up to 42nd to get back to my office. I went to get my ticket from the machine and one of them was broken and this was maybe around 09:40 in the morning, relatively early. You have to realize that there are three machines (two for Metrocards) and one for coins (at least I recall it being this way at the stop I boarded at), so it's very possible for both Metrocard machines to be out of order considering how many passengers ride that line. I have been in Union Square trying to get a new Metrocard and every single vending machine I went to was out of order for credit cards. Hard to believe but true.

When I saw that over on Water St, I thought to myself, so what if both of these machines were broken what would happen? Luckily for me one was working, but I would've been pissed had both been broken and I was given a summons. Mind you my Metrocard costs me $50.00 a week, so why would I try to beat the fare to get a $100.00 summons? Makes no sense.

This needs to rectified and quickly. It's ridiculous that folks even have to go to court for this but if they're actually fined for out of service machines, then I think it's even more ridiculous. NY1 says that they'll be following the stories to see if any of the passengers are indeed ordered to pay the fine for the broken machies. It seems as if the (MTA) is forcing these folks to go through the procedures just because. I wonder if it would make a difference if you showed your receipt from the Metrocard you bought? I actually picked up one today since my Express bus card expires Thursday and I always go to the vending machine so that I can get a receipt in case there is a problem.

If they were all broken, I wonder if the passengers alerted the SBS operator and they should of just have gotten on the local M15 to avoid taking the risk of a fine

That was another idea that I thought of too, but I would've thought that they had something in place for this situation. Something else I pointed out on my trip on the M15 is that the ticket only gives you one hour to get from South Ferry to 125th st, which is certainly not enough time, so in that instance I suppose you be fined too if the bus is caught in traffic, etc. On a day like today I'm sure it would've taken longer than an hour because of the weather. Now I don't know how many people ride for the entire trip, but even if it isn't that many people the idea of being fined for that is a bit outrageous.

That was another idea that I thought of too, but I would've thought that they had something in place for this situation. Something else I pointed out on my trip on the M15 is that the ticket only gives you one hour to get from South Ferry to 125th st, which is certainly not enough time, so in that instance I suppose you be fined too if the bus is caught in traffic, etc. On a day like today I'm sure it would've taken longer than an hour because of the weather. Now I don't know how many people ride for the entire trip, but even if it isn't that many people the idea of being fined for that is a bit outrageous.

I don't think that means you have 1 hour from South Ferry to 125th. I think it means you have to board within 1 hour of purchasing the ticket. Who would even ride that? lol, I never seen fare inspectors on the SBS. Out of the 15 times I used it, I still have all 15 tickets. Plus I doubt the fare inspectors look that closely to your ticket as that would delay the bus too long

I don't think that means you have 1 hour from South Ferry to 125th. I think it means you have to board within 1 hour of purchasing the ticket. Who would even ride that? lol, I never seen fare inspectors on the SBS. Out of the 15 times I used it, I still have all 15 tickets. Plus I doubt the fare inspectors look that closely to your ticket as that would delay the bus too long

If that is the case though, how would anyone know if you boarded in one hour or not? You could be right, but from what I read on the back, I was led to believe that your ticket expires in one hour.

P.S. I just read what the (MTA) says about broken machines...

"If a machine is not working, please take down the machine number,

board the bus and tell the bus operator. If a machine does not issue a

receipt or return your MetroCard ask the bus operator for a business

reply envelope or call 718-330-1234."

I doubt most folks know this though, so in theory the (MTA) expects them to just board the bus and let the B/O know.

If they were all broken, I wonder if the passengers alerted the SBS operator and they should of just have gotten on the local M15 to avoid taking the risk of a fine

A local bus is not an alternative if you have to get somewhere quickly. That's the point of SBS. It's faster, more predictable, and more reliable than the local and for many this is especially important when they have to be on time for work or appointments.

It sucks to hear that this is happening, because I see SBS as progress and a great success. That's the nature of the city agency though. When you deal with them you really have to cover your a$$. There are stickers on the bus stop machines telling you what to do if the machine malfunctions (write down number, etc). You have to be ready with a pen and paper to document exactly what was going on. Once you have a written record you have something in your favor should you go to court.

I actually used the Bx12 SBS a few weeks ago and had a similar situation. Machines were broken at Fordham Plaza (westbound), however I never wrote anything down or followed procedure. I was lucky nobody came around to check, but in the future I had better not be so laid back about these things, as there are many mofo's in the bowels of the city agency...beware!

It also helps to take a picture of the machine with a cell phone camera, such that they see the screen that says "Out of service" and the number of the machine in the same shot. Also the digital image is time-stamped so there is a really small chance of the city agency screwing you if you have an issue.

I hope that the worst thing that happens to these people is that they have to spend time going to court, if they are not guilty. Would be a shame if they got fined for no reason.

I heard that some strange ones have actually been jamming the machines at Fordham Plaza quite often, which sucks because it means the MTA has to deal with something they didn't even cause. Hopefully it has calmed down now if that's what was happening.

When I rode the M15 SBS on Sunday that was the first time I saw inspectors checking receipts. At 1 Avenue & East 67 Street. They don't keep your receipt. They just look at the time and date. Either you hold it as they look or they might take it from you, look at it, and return it to you. There were three guys, one came in through each door.

My bus was only carrying about 15-20 people, now I wonder how they do it with a standing load? I wish they would just get on the buses and let them go as they check the receipts, but oh well. Considering the fact that they don't check receipts very often, it probably adds no more than a minute or two every two weeks to a regular SBS rider's commute. It isn't super, but it isn't terrible either.

When I rode the M15 SBS on Sunday that was the first time I saw inspectors checking receipts. At 1 Avenue & East 67 Street. They don't keep your receipt. They just look at the time and date. Either you hold it as they look or they might take it from you, look at it, and return it to you. There were three guys, one came in through each door.

My bus was only carrying about 15-20 people, now I wonder how they do it with a standing load? I wish they would just get on the buses and let them go as they check the receipts, but oh well. Considering the fact that they don't check receipts very often, it probably adds no more than a minute or two every two weeks to a regular SBS rider's commute. It isn't super, but it isn't terrible either.

It wouldn't make sense to keep the tickets because if they had inspectors come on at another stop then what? The probability is slim, but you never know.

Yes, when I take M15 SBS on Christmas Week, southbound trip they check at 79th St, 14th St, Chinatown.

And uptown at Chinatown, 24th, 42nd, 57th, 67th, 79th.

I remember sometimes fare inspector was at 106th St as well.

Sometimes fare inspector take ride on M15 SBS for short distance as well.

I find it hard to believe ALL the machines at an SBS station were broken at the same time

It happened a lot in today's rain. On the Southbound side, the machines were down at 125th and another stop. The operator I had let us on and made us pay at the next stop and continued on with the run.

There were fare inspectors along the route at 110th but the driver waved them off and continued on.

Yes, when I take M15 SBS on Christmas Week, southbound trip they check at 79th St, 14th St, Chinatown.

And uptown at Chinatown, 24th, 42nd, 57th, 67th, 79th.

I remember sometimes fare inspector was at 106th St as well.

Sometimes fare inspector take ride on M15 SBS for short distance as well.

So they checked as much as 6 times in one trip?? Jesus... :eek:

Speaking of SBS Machine, sometimes some people don't have enough money on Pay-Per-Ride/Reduced Fare MetroCard and went they put in it says, INFUSSICANT FARE and they look for receipt.

Few days ago, when I was with 126th St B/O Female friend, on uptown route, 34th St riders reported all machine was broken. I went to check from middle door and it was signed up as OUT OF SERVICE. There was one lady with cell phone deep in conversation, she did not notice SBS Machine was broken, even B/O honked at her to indicate that machine is not working.

I wonder what if foreign tourists who doesn't speak English and don't know how to use M15 SBS Machine and ended up getting summon for beating fare by fare inspector, I wonder how they going to communicate?

When I take ride on Bx12SBS, even with machine broken, I never seen Bx12 folks complaint.

....and I was called a "blithering idiot" by some fly-by-night member on RD, back when they first put SBS on the Bx12... when I mentioned that I wasn't too fond of the idea of SBS, due to the fact that it could be used as a way for the MTA to siphon money out of riders....

yeah +SBS+ has its benefits, but I still view it as nothin more than a souped up version of a limited.....

hell, thanks to SBS (and serious overcrowding), I avoid the Bx12 like the plague.....

What do you think of this practice by the of giving passengers fines even if the machines are shown to be broken?

Hate to say this, but sooner or later, I saw something like this comin.... I think it's a crooked way of tryna steal (yes, steal) money from oblivious passengers who won't know what to do when they're at a SBS stop, where none of the machines are functional.... for anyone suggesting that the local should've been taken or w/e, all I have to say about that is, it isn't a remedy to anything here... at the same token, it inconveniences riders wanting/needing limited (err, SBS) service.....

....and I was called a "blithering idiot" by some fly-by-night member on RD, back when they first put SBS on the Bx12... when I mentioned that I wasn't too fond of the idea of SBS, due to the fact that it could be used as a way for the MTA to siphon money out of riders....

yeah +SBS+ has its benefits, but I still view it as nothin more than a souped up version of a limited.....

hell, thanks to SBS (and serious overcrowding), I avoid the Bx12 like the plague.....

Hate to say this, but sooner or later, I saw something like this comin.... I think it's a crooked way of tryna steal (yes, steal) money from oblivious passengers who won't know what to do when they're at a SBS stop, where none of the machines are functional.... for anyone suggesting that the local should've been taken or w/e, all I have to say about that is, it isn't a remedy to anything here... at the same token, it inconveniences riders wanting/needing limited (err, SBS) service.....

The real kicker is if they raise the fine to $500.00 as some politicians are currently calling for to combat farebeating. Ray Kelly also wants the fine to be raised, saying that it would be a big deterrant for those fare beating. I agree, but imagine being slapped with a $500.00 summons because the machines are legitimately broken... I'm going to be on the lookout for the results of those folks that were shown on NY1 tonight to see how their court appearances turn out...

Would you believe over 100 buses legit OOS at the same time in the same depot? This is the MTA, equipment is prone to breakdown frequently for numerous reasons not involving employees..

2 Metrocard Machines and 2 Coin Machines you can't say that 4 machines are broken....

Yes I can, I would even go so far as to say six turnstiles OOS one night @ West 4.

The MTA should have the machines programmed to notify status, or were these turned off to like a certain system in the MCIs?

If the SBS machine were broken, I would hop on the local and pay there as I wouldn't want to risk a $100 ticket. The M15 SBS may be quick but it's not that much faster than local.

Passengers should be allowed to use the system regardless of machine error and should not be inconvienced.

Don't like SBS, but don't think the MTA should be screwing folks over either.

Yes I can, I would even go so far as to say six turnstiles OOS one night @ West 4.

yup, that happened 2 weeks ago.... there was actually a line of ppl. along 6th av waiting to enter the station (same side as the movie theatre).... went as far back as that stinkin pickle stand....

cops directed all the folks exiting the station through the gate, and to take the east exit (same side as the basketball court); anyone on that side seeking entry had to cross the street....

everyone had to use that 1 turnstile.... enter only...

Archived