Why does the Bronx get express bus service so late at night?

Via Garibaldi 8

The problem is simply The MTA isnt paying for the service in the Bronx. So they barely cut any service besides the BxM7B to City Island. So as much as I love being a Bronx Express Bus Rider when i see buses running Saturday, Sunday and middays completely empty going to Manhattan I feel resources are being wasted. Recently since my move to Allerton I can attest to horrible subway service and the awesome Manhattan bound express is. Service is not so great going back to the Bronx. Buses tend to leave ahead of schedule. I took the BxM11 and always seem to miss it even when I get to the stop a minute or two earlier than the scheduled time. I once missed a bus even though I was at the stop (32nd Street) 3 minutes early so I walked to the first stop at 26th street, and caught the BxM11 it left a full 6 minutes earlier than the scheduled departure. This seems to be the norm I'm learning.

lol... Well 6 minutes isn't "bad"(sarcasm). It's the norm on some Staten Island routes to arrive 10 - 15 minutes ahead of schedule, especially the X10. :mad: Apparently the X17J has this problem from time to time too. This morning I took car service over to catch the 09:08. I look at my Blackberry at it is 09:06 and I'm thinking great I have two minutes before the bus comes. :cool:

Then I see the damn bus turning off of Richmond to go up by Goethals Road North as I'm waiting at the light to get to my stop. :mad: I wasn't exactly thrilled when I saw that the next bus wasn't until 09:29. In any event, the next bus arrived almost 10 minutes before it was due at 09:22. I was thinking this can't be another X17J, as the X17J part was messed up, but it was. He did good time though so I didn't complain, but still. I would've preferred the 09:08.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol... Well 6 minutes isn't "bad"(sarcasm). It's the norm on some Staten Island routes to arrive 10 - 15 minutes ahead of schedule, especially the X10. :mad: Apparently the X17J has this problem from time to time too. This morning I took car service over to catch the 09:08. I look at my Blackberry at it is 09:06 and I'm thinking great I have two minutes before the bus comes. :cool:

Then I see the damn bus turning off of Richmond to go up by Goethals Road North as I'm waiting at the light to get to my stop. :mad: I wasn't exactly thrilled when I saw that the next bus wasn't until 09:29. In any event, the next bus arrived almost 10 minutes before it was due at 09:22. I was thinking this can't be another X17J, as the X17J part was messed up, but it was. He did good time though so I didn't complain, but still. I would've preferred the 09:08.

You know what it is for some reason R/O ( road ops) don't pay attention as much as they do to local routes time points, well depends on what part of the route also the time. But I don't play with my time points meaning going ahead of time. Number one I'm still on probation and two I don't know who the hell watching me. Even after I'm done with my probation I'm still not going ahead of time cause I know how it feels when ppl is waiting for a bus on time and comes to find out the bus had depart mins before its time, especially when ppl have to get to work.

here is a solution to the X10 reprint the schedule to say bus times are adjusted to leave 10 mins earlier to manhattan thus making the schedule accurate problem solved

And it saves money to boot.

Am I the only one who DOESN'T UNDERSTAND how having a bus that costs $3.25 LESS than before will generate MORE MONEY?!?!?

Please explain because this makes absolutely no sense.

Maybe it'll generate more ridership. I don't know what's going through their heads.

Has anyone thought of the fact that the Bronx is more densely populated than Staten Island and the eastern half of Queens? The popualtion density in most of the Bronx is such that subways, local buses and express buses can all get decent ridership. Hence express buses run nearly 24/7 in the Bronx. The ridership on routes like the BxM7 and BxM10 is certainly there and the other routes also have great "ridership potential".

But that's the issue: The express buses aren't doing too well (at least during those times).

1) Dude shut up X90 could simply be interlined with any SI express route like X14 problem solved.

2) I doubt BXM4 has weekend ridership everytime I used it on weekends I was the only one on the bus I was very lonely the BXM4 doesn't have weekend demand it carries air. BXM4 would be more effective if rerouted over bruckner via allerton which would decrease travel time thus garnering more ridership. At rush hour the BXM4 gets smoked by the (D) express however off-peak the BXM4 is king in terms of speed. I agree.

3) The BX expresses have much higher ridership than brooklyn lines period. dude NO ONE USED X25 it was useless period it made weekend BXM4 look crushloaded that's how empty X25 was. I disagree checkmate S93 would be better off being sent to NJ elizbeth which would garner huge ridership I am scared that if extended to NJ it may become a slaveship on wheels.

1) It would have to be an East Midtown route. The X14 serves West Midtown.

2) That's why there should be an off-peak discount for express buses. Maybe it would fill up routes like the BxM4 a bit more.

3) Exactly. But I'm saying why it could've had low ridership: Nobody's going to depend on a bus every 30 minutes when the subway runs every 2-3 minutes, even if it's more crowded and delay-prone.

As far as the S93 goes, you'd be subjecting it to traffic on 2 bridges, which would kill the reliability. The S98 going over the Goethals Bridge would be much better. The few people coming from Bay Ridge can transfer from the S93 to the S98 (if my S93 extension to Arlington were implemented)

Back to the Bronx Express routes. Some of you people need to wake up and smell the coffee. Staten Island you need a car point blank in most cases. Queens on the other hand is just under served.

Having a car doesn't make a difference if you're going to Manhattan. Most express bus riders aren't going to drive all the way to Manhattan. Maybe they'll (grudgingly) drive to Brooklyn and take the subway, or drive to the ferry, but they won't drive to Manhattan.

1) As for S.I, I'm 50/50. They should just convert the SIR into a subway line for Staten Island with much more frequent headways. That Tottenville EXP is the shit during the weekdays taking you to Tottenville in 22 minutes or less. The ferry has its perks, but if you are like me and you can't be f*cked with the ferry going back to the city, the express bus gets you to the city in 30-45 mins. That has been my only option to get back to the city considering that I live in this area of Queens now (vomit).

There are some things that can be improved on the S.I end of things, I agree on that.

2) The x90 has always been based out of a Manhattan depot, it wont interline with anything.

1) The SIR doesn't have the ridership to run more frequently, and by running more frequently, you'd be screwing with how it connects with the ferry.

Now if it were connected to Manhattan, that would be a different story.

2) But the X25 was interlined with the X29.

So true but sending the S93 to elizbeth improves connectivity between SI and NJ and will eliminate the notion that SI has limited transportation. That notion is born from lack of NJ bound service yeah S79 and S53 are frequent to Brooklyn yes Express service to manhattan is excellent and you have the ferry to boot one thing in SI that is missing!!!!! NO SERVICE TO NJ FROM SI!!!!!!! The S89 only goes to bayonne one problem its rush hr only and ppl aren't just going to bayonne NJ ppl are heading out to other places in NJ. That is the weakness of SI transit.

That's one weakness, but overall, the low density of Staten Island means that intra-SI travel will always be hard.

Well, express buses have a higher cost per passengers than local and limited-stop buses. Turning the X90 into a limited stop variant reduce costs. In addition said variant can also be interlined with another local route if necessary.

Yeah, but an express bus can be interlined with another express route. I'll have to agree with Gorgor on this.

I don't think so at all. I don't just use the express buses in Staten Island but in Brooklyn, Queens and also in the Bronx too and I have pointed that out. I felt that it was necessary to point out some of the arguments being proposed as to why the Bronx has such frequent service late at night compared not just to Staten Island but the other outer boroughs in general. Some of them are legitimate ones and some of them aren't. For example the argument of bad subway service could be said for Queens and Southern Brooklyn also in particular and if anything those two boroughs have seen their express bus service reduced.

From what I've seen so far, there appears to be several reasons as to why they receive such late service, but it makes me wonder if the (MTA) is really reviewing all express bus lines as they claim they do every three months. You notice that just about all of the BM (BM1 - BM4 anyway) express buses in Brooklyn have had 5 runs or more runs cut on Saturdays on each line on the argument of low ridership, but you have the same thing on some BxM express buses as well, yet those buses continue to run empty late into the night, so I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the (MTA).

And yes I'm a bit annoyed because I need that service going to and from Brooklyn and use it regularly, so if they were cutting across the board then I would say okay fine. Everyone is sharing the pain across all boroughs, but this isn't happening.

The thing is that some of those runs may just be deadhead runs converted to revenue service. From what everybody's saying, the runs are pretty full going back to The Bronx, so they're going to have to deadhead back to Manhattan to make another Bronx-bound trip anyway.

Ugh... You and the BM4 already... Just stop it really. We heard you already for the 50th time about the route being a waste.... Blah blah blah blah blah. If it isn't the BM4, it's the BxM4, BxM4C, or the QM4. :) If you feel so strongly about certain bus routes being a waste then write in about them. It's "unfortunate" that thousands of other folks that use these lines don't share your opinion.

What about the millions of riders that don't, and are using their fares to subsidize them?

The thing is that some of those runs may just be deadhead runs converted to revenue service. From what everybody's saying, the runs are pretty full going back to The Bronx, so they're going to have to deadhead back to Manhattan to make another Bronx-bound trip anyway.

Well if that's the case then they can do the same thing with the BM1 - BM4 runs that they axed. :mad:

Now they're deadheading to pick up folks in Manhattan. Again hypocrisy from the (MTA).

What about the millions of riders that don't, and are using their fares to subsidize them?

Well those millions of riders can give money to build subways then if they have such issues with our express bus service, but they don't want to give money for that either, so meanwhile we're not supposed to have anything, and we ALSO pay taxes. :mad:

1) Well if that's the case then they can do the same thing with the BM1 - BM4 runs that they axed. :mad:

Now they're deadheading to pick up folks in Manhattan. Again hypocrisy from the (MTA).

2) Well those millions of riders can give money to build subways then if they have such issues with our express bus service, but they don't want to give money for that either, so meanwhile we're not supposed to have anything, and we ALSO pay taxes. :mad:

1) Well, I'll agree with you there.

2) Who said they aren't willing to give money to build/improve the subways? If people knew for a fact that the money was going to build the subways and not getting lost in bureaucracy, I'm sure there would be even more supporters of subway expansion.

1)

2) Who said they aren't willing to give money to build/improve the subways? If people knew for a fact that the money was going to build the subways and not getting lost in bureaucracy, I'm sure there would be even more supporters of subway expansion.

Oh please. The (MTA) is not going to spend billions to build subways and you know it, even if the people supported it, which I doubt they would. They don't even want to spend more for service, so why would they want to spend what could be thousands of their own money for subway service for isolated areas of the city? All you ever hear is oh they shouldn't raise the fare. We can't afford it. Times are always rough, even when we weren't in a recession. It is called being CHEAP. :) If anything they would say something stupid like those folks should just move to the city as if there is room for 500,000 or more people to just up and move to Manhattan. LOL

If they're crying about the little crumbs we get by way of express bus service I could imagine what an uproar they would make over subway service. :o

Oh please. The (MTA) is not going to spend billions to build subways and you know it, even if the people supported it, which I doubt they would. They don't even want to spend more for service, so why would they want to spend what could be thousands of their own money for subway service for isolated areas of the city? All you ever hear is oh they shouldn't raise the fare. We can't afford it. Times are always rough, even when we weren't in a recession. It is called being CHEAP. :) If anything they would say something stupid like those folks should just move to the city as if there is room for 500,000 or more people to just up and move to Manhattan. LOL

If they're crying about the little crumbs we get by way of express bus service I could imagine what an uproar they would make over subway service. :o

Well, technically there is. The advantage of a high density area is that every additional person doesn't cause a very high environmental impact. I mean, back in the early 1900s, Manhattan had something like 2.5 million people, compared to 1.5 million today.

And subway service saves them money in the long run. Not only can they cut back on express bus service, but they can cut back on the local service as well. The B46 wouldn't run every 1 minute during rush hour if there was a Utica Avenue subway, and they would save on fuel, maintainance, and wages.

Plus, of course, the subway would increase the property values of the properties in the area, which would generate additional tax revenue for the city (plsu, the ridership will probably be higher with the train than the bus)

Well, technically there is. The advantage of a high density area is that every additional person doesn't cause a very high environmental impact. I mean, back in the early 1900s, Manhattan had something like 2.5 million people, compared to 1.5 million today.

And subway service saves them money in the long run. Not only can they cut back on express bus service, but they can cut back on the local service as well. The B46 wouldn't run every 1 minute during rush hour if there was a Utica Avenue subway, and they would save on fuel, maintainance, and wages.

Plus, of course, the subway would increase the property values of the properties in the area, which would generate additional tax revenue for the city (plsu, the ridership will probably be higher with the train than the bus)

Yeah yeah yeah... Like I said tell me who is willing to pay for that though. Aside from that, express bus service can also add value to a home. It certainly is a caveat along Shore Rd. They also advertise "steps from the express bus" when I look at apartments on Shore Rd. :cool:

Yeah yeah yeah... Like I said tell me who is willing to pay for that though. Aside from that, express bus service can also add value to a home. It certainly is a caveat along Shore Rd. They also advertise "steps from the express bus" when I look at apartments on Shore Rd. :cool:

Well, the city and MTA should be willing to pay for it, considering the advantages I listed above.

And the express bus can add value to a home, but a subway does it more. All of the areas that were gentrified have been near a subway line (and I don't even think any of them were near an express bus line)

Well, the city and MTA should be willing to pay for it, considering the advantages I listed above.

And the express bus can add value to a home, but a subway does it more. All of the areas that were gentrified have been near a subway line (and I don't even think any of them were near an express bus line)

I suppose, but don't underestimate the value of the almighty express bus. :cool: I'll still prefer the express bus over the subway any day. :)

Ugh... You and the BM4 already... Just stop it really. We heard you already for the 50th time about the route being a waste.... Blah blah blah blah blah. If it isn't the BM4, it's the BxM4, BxM4C, or the QM4. :) If you feel so strongly about certain bus routes being a waste then write in about them. It's "unfortunate" that thousands of other folks that use these lines don't share your opinion.

TRUST ME it's nowhere near thousands thousands DO NOT use em you are too emotional with lines I go by what is actually on the lines. The bus operators tell me the same thing BM4 on weekends carry air. BXM4 carries just a few and is stupidly slow. QM4 at off-peak is beyond empty since you use em you should know that. BM4,QM4 don't need off-peak service. BXM4 needs a streamlining and nothing more. BXM4C there is just no excuse

TRUST ME it's nowhere near thousands thousands DO NOT use em you are too emotional with lines I go by what is actually on the lines. The bus operators tell me the same thing BM4 on weekends carry air. BXM4 carries just a few and is stupidly slow. QM4 at off-peak is beyond empty since you use em you should know that. BM4,QM4 don't need off-peak service. BXM4 needs a streamlining and nothing more. BXM4C there is just no excuse

I'm not emotional about anything. You're just obsessed w/certain lines and b*tching about incessantly. The BM4 only runs a few hours on Saturdays and stops running well before the BM1, BM2 and BM3 do, so I don't know what "weekends" you're referring to. The BxM4 is generally used well overall, as is the QM4. The BxM4C I don't know about since I don't use it, but it is the only express bus service for Westchester County provided by Bee-Line, so please. Give it a rest already. :)

I'm not emotional about anything. You're just obsessed w/certain lines and b*tching about incessantly. The BM4 only runs a few hours on Saturdays and stops running well before the BM1, BM2 and BM3 do, so I don't know what "weekends" you're referring to. The BxM4 is generally used well overall, as is the QM4. The BxM4C I don't know about since I don't use it, but it is the only express bus service for Westchester County provided by Bee-Line, so please. Give it a rest already. :)

U have a point the amount of BM4 runs on saturday is about 10 if all eliminated the BM1 and BM3 can get their weekend service enhanced. BM4 ppl will just transfer to B31.

I never said BXM4 was useless I said it was slow and needs to lose the concourse

U have a point the amount of BM4 runs on saturday is about 10 if all eliminated the BM1 and BM3 can get their weekend service enhanced. BM4 ppl will just transfer to B31.

I never said BXM4 was useless I said it was slow and needs to lose the concourse

Yeah well I'm sure the folks along the Concourse beg to differ.

My express bus interlining proposal would have eliminated most of those problems with one borough getting more than another. Since some BXMs would enter manhattan then at random interline with an SI route like X10 or X1 or some BM lines. But if you want an idea of how that can work I would let you figure it out

Um, hello....you can't interline an MTA Bus express route with a New York City Bus X route....two different operations, unions and so on. Your plan won't work. You also fail to realize that these buses are based out of their own designated depots. Your plan would fail in the end.

Let's have a quick fact check here. The x90 was a low ridership bus that cost the MTA money while there were viable transit options in the M15 local and Limited, the 4-5-6 subway, and the M101/2/3 bus nearby.

Which take on average 10-15 minutes longer than the X90 because of the walk from York to Lex. In addition, you can never get a seat on those, and sometimes you can't even get standing room on the subway and have to let a train go by.

Now, that awful commute from the UES downtown, the one you loathe so? Guess who takes a longer commute from East Harlem downtown? Me. Now let's go through some of those viable options. The Lex from the UES is incredibly quick, I've timed it from 125 and it's about an 18 minute ride to 14th street. From 86th it's around 12 on the express and 15 on the local. The longest ride I can remember in the past three years was when I caught the 6 at 14th and it literally broke down, and even then it was a 35 minute commute uptown.

Yes, I'm not disputing the fact that the subway is fast. But for me here's a break down of my commute:

- Walk to Lex OR crosstown bus = 15 minutes

- (4)(5) to Brooklyn Bridge = 20 minutes

- Walk to the World Financial Center = 15 minutes

As you can see, I've got at least a half mile walk from the subway to my final destination, and have to deal with taking a bus or having another half mile walk. Yes, I get a seat on the bus, but forget it with the train.

Now here's a break down of my commute with the X90:

- Walk to the nearest corner = 1 minute

- X90 to World Financial Center = 40 minutes

Not only do I save about 9 minutes, I also save a huge amount of walking in addition to having a nice comfy seat on the way down AND being able to go over my notes so I can be productive on the ride down.

The M15 SBS I use when I'm further east (let's not forget, the TA felt bad about the x90 so it implemented a special new bus with a new fleet that runs frequently), and I've taken it from 96th to 14th many times, and it runs 35 minutes, always. All the way to SF you're looking at a 60 minute ride, which is little more than the x90 was for half the fare and more frequent service.

M15 SBS uptown has great service, but the downtown one runs into trouble around the bridge and then the tunnel, in addition to the SAS construction. Also, how am I supposed to get over to the World Financial Center from the M15 without having my commute go well over an hour?

Replies in blue

And please, nobody say how TransportAzumah will be taking over service because until I see one shred of evidence or anything suggesting that, it means absolutely nothing.

Let's have a quick fact check here. The x90 was a low ridership bus that cost the MTA money while there were viable transit options in the M15 local and Limited, the 4-5-6 subway, and the M101/2/3 bus nearby.

Now, that awful commute from the UES downtown, the one you loathe so? Guess who takes a longer commute from East Harlem downtown? Me. Now let's go through some of those viable options. The Lex from the UES is incredibly quick, I've timed it from 125 and it's about an 18 minute ride to 14th street. From 86th it's around 12 on the express and 15 on the local. The longest ride I can remember in the past three years was when I caught the 6 at 14th and it literally broke down, and even then it was a 35 minute commute uptown.

The M15 SBS I use when I'm further east (let's not forget, the TA felt bad about the x90 so it implemented a special new bus with a new fleet that runs frequently), and I've taken it from 96th to 14th many times, and it runs 35 minutes, always. All the way to SF you're looking at a 60 minute ride, which is little more than the x90 was for half the fare and more frequent service.

The Lex bus is a marginally longer ride, which I could only really understand if you were disabled and couldn't use the subway or walk/roll to the SBS. In that case it's at least a 45 minute to 60 minute ride from 110 to 6th. However, it's so close to the SBS, subway, and M2 that I really wonder why you'd ride it.

So those are your trasportation options. The UES and much less vocal (or less b!tchy) East Harlem feature excellent bus service and a subway line that is efficient, if imperfect for riders all the way on York, in which case you take the SBS. You have plenty of trasprtation. I have a longer commute than you do and I just walk, like a normal person. [you also have the 72, 79, 86, 96, and 106 crosstown buses] I honestly find it hard to believe that you only miss the x90 solely for its efficiency, because there are so many just as good, cheaper options. I just don't buy that for a minute.

Now, I've been civil so far. But I haven't addressed one thing, which is your choice not to pay for SBS bus.

You childish, selfish, self-centered, arrogant, obnoxious, inconsiderate, self-righteous ----. You live on the Upper East Side, the most expensive neighborhood in a rich borough of affluent city. You were happy to pay $11 a day so you could have your own express bus. You can afford it.

But no. As millions are poorer than you, as more service is cut to people more in need than you, as the MTA looks to increase fares due to a lack of revenue, you decide not to pay. You won't pay $2.25 to ride a stupid bus because you have to prove your little point. How adorable. You will farebeat to ruin transit service in the whole city just because you don't have your dear little express bus, even when plenty of service is still available.

I just wish I could be there when you get slapped with your $150 fine for your adorable little farebeating scheme.

While I agree that he shouldn't be farebeating, in all fairness, there have been others here that have admitted to farebeating in other threads and I didn't see you jumping down their throats. Perhaps it is just because he lives in an upscale neighborhood that you suddenly care oh so much about his farebeating??? If you're so against farebeating then spread the criticism around to all that farebeat because this is the first time that I hear you chastising anybody about doing it and believe me there are thousands of people doing it so let's spread the blame around here.

As for the X90, the route actually garnered a decent level of ridership in comparison to other express bus routes that were kept, so your accusation of it costing the (MTA) so much isn't 100% accurate. The problem was that they ran too much service, but the route itself could've been continued with a reduction in service that was more in line with the ridership, making it much more cost effective to run.

Despite all of the accusations of the X90 riders being spoiled, etc., I think that should be put aside and the route should be analyzed based on the ridership and on the reason that it was implemented in the first place. Bronx express bus riders have cited terrible service on their subways as to why they need their express bus service and Gorgor has cited sardine can (4)(5) and (6) trains, along with long commutes Crosstown as to why the X90 is needed, and I happen to agree with him. I do frequent the Upper East Side for shopping and restaurants, and while he may have a ton of options, most of them are indeed slow. There is no question that just about all of the Crosstown buses crawl because of traffic, etc. ,and this isn't any different on the Upper East Side, as I know from my own personal experiences on lines like the M31, M79, M66, M72, etc.

As far as the M15 SBS is concerned ,it is nothing more than a glorified limited stop bus, and having used it to get from Downtown along Water St and back to my office over by 42nd, I wasn't all that impressed. I have used the M15 on numerous occasions when only limited stop service existed and the only difference now is that you pay before you board so the bus leaves the stop a bit quicker, but there are still too many stops.

With that said, if I were Gorgor, I would stop complaining about the X90 for now and see what Jazumah is working on in terms of running service to cover the former X90. Quite frankly it shouldn't really matter who is running the service, so long as it is efficient, clean and reliable. If he really has such issues with the X90 being run by the (MTA) then go to the board meetings like I do and speak out about your issues.

Tonight when I got in, I received a letter from one of my representatives Michael Grimm regarding the new tolls that were recently imposed by the Port Authority. While I salute his fight to fight the tolls and to get a light rail for Staten Island, I also know that the light rail will not benefit me, at least not directly, so I've been writing to him speficially about how our express bus service needs to improved on Staten Island and have been talking to the (MTA) about our needs for expanded service. These sorts of improvements do not happen over night and they take time.

When Vito Fossella was in office, I was in close contact with him about how express bus service could be improved and because so many of us were proactive about improving express bus service on Staten Island, he eventually made it one of his pet projects, pushing for the HOV lane on the Gowanus, which I currently benefit from, as well improved service on lines like the X1.

Since Grimm has reached out to me a few times about transportation issues, I will continue to contact him about the need to push for more express bus for Staten Island and I will continue to go the board meetings to press the (MTA) for our fair share of express bus service. That in my opinion is the way to go about getting the service that you feel that you need.

:tdown:

Yeah well I'm sure the folks along the Concourse beg to differ.

ERR what folks?? air doesn't count buddy those BXM4 buses carry air on saturdays and sundays. Even at rush hour the line is a sad joke I know you know nothing about the BXM4 stick to staten island. I see most of the concourse ppl aren't even thinking about the BXM4 they are either on BX1 LTD BX2 or (D) and at rush hr the (D) even with reliability iissues is still the fastest grand concourse mode of travel. Get on BXM4 then report back if anyone uses it for concourse service 90% of those BXM4 riders DO NOT WANT the concourse understand get that through ur fanning head.

It's like saying BM5 should run 24/7 NOT. BXM4 if made faster more ppl would use it so you screw over 4 ppl and make 50 others happy the MTA only cares about numbers hon.

Um, hello....you can't interline an MTA Bus express route with a New York City Bus X route....two different operations, unions and so on. Your plan won't work. You also fail to realize that these buses are based out of their own designated depots. Your plan would fail in the end.

That part I understand only structural changes would make the idea remotely feasable. Where all express lines would have to be run in one division.

That part I understand only structural changes would make the idea remotely feasable. Where all express lines would have to be run in one division.

No, you clearly dont understand. It's not structural changes. It's SYSTEMWIDE changes. Express buses wont run in one division because that would clearly screw up systemwide service schedules and service patterns. Once again, that still wont work. Its a reason why Express Buses operate and interline with routes out of their own depots.

While I agree that he shouldn't be farebeating, in all fairness, there have been others here that have admitted to farebeating in other threads and I didn't see you jumping down their throats. Perhaps it is just because he lives in an upscale neighborhood that you suddenly care oh so much about his farebeating??? If you're so against farebeating then spread the criticism around to all that farebeat because this is the first time that I hear you chastising anybody about doing it and believe me there are thousands of people doing it so let's spread the blame around here.

As for the X90, the route actually garnered a decent level of ridership in comparison to other express bus routes that were kept, so your accusation of it costing the (MTA) so much isn't 100% accurate. The problem was that they ran too much service, but the route itself could've been continued with a reduction in service that was more in line with the ridership, making it much more cost effective to run.

Despite all of the accusations of the X90 riders being spoiled, etc., I think that should be put aside and the route should be analyzed based on the ridership and on the reason that it was implemented in the first place. Bronx express bus riders have cited terrible service on their subways as to why they need their express bus service and Gorgor has cited sardine can (4)(5) and (6) trains, along with long commutes Crosstown as to why the X90 is needed, and I happen to agree with him. I do frequent the Upper East Side for shopping and restaurants, and while he may have a ton of options, most of them are indeed slow. There is no question that just about all of the Crosstown buses crawl because of traffic, etc. ,and this isn't any different on the Upper East Side, as I know from my own personal experiences on lines like the M31, M79, M66, M72, etc.

As far as the M15 SBS is concerned ,it is nothing more than a glorified limited stop bus, and having used it to get from Downtown along Water St and back to my office over by 42nd, I wasn't all that impressed. I have used the M15 on numerous occasions when only limited stop service existed and the only difference now is that you pay before you board so the bus leaves the stop a bit quicker, but there are still too many stops.

With that said, if I were Gorgor, I would stop complaining about the X90 for now and see what Jazumah is working on in terms of running service to cover the former X90. Quite frankly it shouldn't really matter who is running the service, so long as it is efficient, clean and reliable. If he really has such issues with the X90 being run by the (MTA) then go to the board meetings like I do and speak out about your issues.

Tonight when I got in, I received a letter from one of my representatives Michael Grimm regarding the new tolls that were recently imposed by the Port Authority. While I salute his fight to fight the tolls and to get a light rail for Staten Island, I also know that the light rail will not benefit me, at least not directly, so I've been writing to him speficially about how our express bus service needs to improved on Staten Island and have been talking to the (MTA) about our needs for expanded service. These sorts of improvements do not happen over night and they take time.

When Vito Fossella was in office, I was in close contact with him about how express bus service could be improved and because so many of us were proactive about improving express bus service on Staten Island, he eventually made it one of his pet projects, pushing for the HOV lane on the Gowanus, which I currently benefit from, as well improved service on lines like the X1.

Since Grimm has reached out to me a few times about transportation issues, I will continue to contact him about the need to push for more express bus for Staten Island and I will continue to go the board meetings to press the (MTA) for our fair share of express bus service. That in my opinion is the way to go about getting the service that you feel that you need.

In the afternoons if I get out of the subway at the same time an eastbound crosstown gets to Lex I can easily out walk it to York with my normal walking pace, but in the morning having a seat on the bus to Lex when I'm barely awake is great.

And I don't care who the heck operates a new service as long as there is reliable service on a route that resembles the X90. I am skeptical about service returning though because I have not seen any evidence suggesting that TransportAzumah will be starting service other than a few posts on here. If there are any legal documents online or something on their website then please send me a link to them.

And regarding fare beating... yes of course I know it's wrong, but out of my 30+ times riding the select I've only seen fare inspectors once, and this was around 23rd Street on the uptown when the (4)(5)(6) trains were suspended north of 14th. The fare inspector near me only pointed at a few people at random, one of them being me, and only briefly glanced at the tickets from where he was standing in the door way. I don't even think someone with perfect 20-20 vision can read that small print from there when I'm standing almost in the articulated part. And most of the time I only use it to go one or two stops and stay by the door, so I'll just get off if I see them. It's not like they stop people who are exiting the bus to check their tickets.

But also, I don't care if you bash on me for fare beating, but if you're going to then do it to everyone else who admits to it as well. So what if I come from an upper class neighborhood, screw the MTA. I'd rather pay $15 round trip on a cab than $4.50 for the select. And also to be honest I think that traveling within an upper class neighborhood I'll run into less, or maybe even no fare inspectors on my trips. I've heard people talk about the fare inspectors that slow their buses down when they're going downtown but I've never heard of fare inspectors being on the Upper East Side before.

Speaking of that, before the select I would save all the errands for one day and then just take a cab there and back, but now that I've got free transportation I just go whenever I have free time.

----

Or what about this. I know that this will NEVER happen, but what if select M15 selects (hehe), like every 4th or 5th one went non stop via the FDR Drive between 23rd Street and Brooklyn Bridge in peak direction?

In the afternoons if I get out of the subway at the same time an eastbound crosstown gets to Lex I can easily out walk it to York with my normal walking pace, but in the morning having a seat on the bus to Lex when I'm barely awake is great.

And I don't care who the heck operates a new service as long as there is reliable service on a route that resembles the X90. I am skeptical about service returning though because I have not seen any evidence suggesting that TransportAzumah will be starting service other than a few posts on here. If there are any legal documents online or something on their website then please send me a link to them.

And regarding fare beating... yes of course I know it's wrong, but out of my 30+ times riding the select I've only seen fare inspectors once, and this was around 23rd Street on the uptown when the (4)(5)(6) trains were suspended north of 14th. The fare inspector near me only pointed at a few people at random, one of them being me, and only briefly glanced at the tickets from where he was standing in the door way. I don't even think someone with perfect 20-20 vision can read that small print from there when I'm standing almost in the articulated part. And most of the time I only use it to go one or two stops and stay by the door, so I'll just get off if I see them. It's not like they stop people who are exiting the bus to check their tickets.

But also, I don't care if you bash on me for fare beating, but if you're going to then do it to everyone else who admits to it as well. So what if I come from an upper class neighborhood, screw the MTA. I'd rather pay $15 round trip on a cab than $4.50 for the select. And also to be honest I think that traveling within an upper class neighborhood I'll run into less, or maybe even no fare inspectors on my trips. I've heard people talk about the fare inspectors that slow their buses down when they're going downtown but I've never heard of fare inspectors being on the Upper East Side before.

Speaking of that, before the select I would save all the errands for one day and then just take a cab there and back, but now that I've got free transportation I just go whenever I have free time.

One day you will realize +Select Bus Service is not free. That will not be a good day for you.

No, you clearly dont understand. It's not structural changes. It's SYSTEMWIDE changes. Express buses wont run in one division because that would clearly screw up systemwide service schedules and service patterns. Once again, that still wont work. Its a reason why Express Buses operate and interline with routes out of their own depots.

I was only referring to select lines many rush hr only ones would never work but off peak if risky too you have a point

Archived