Why does the Bronx get express bus service so late at night?

Via Garibaldi 8

Its true most if not all BxM routes are faster then the subways and ect, thats one of the reason it runs so late in the night. I think BxM7 should have 24/7 or later service, i did the last 7 the other nite from the bronx also the last to the bronx i can tell you on both trips it was packed as hell. So far i did the last trips from the city on about every route that runs out my depot and i can tell you that they are ues well (7A,7,9,10) , the 6 is a hit and miss.

That's very interesting and also quite pathetic at the same time... My thing is though if I compare the service that the Bronx gets to say even Queens which has no subway service either in certain parts and longer commutes, it seems as if they still get far more service by way of frequencies and the length of time that the routes run and almost as if they're getting favoritism over the other boroughs in terms of more express bus service. I'm not necessarily complaining but trying to understand how they get their service aside from ridership, etc.

I will be getting a chance to ride some of the BxMs more in the near future, so perhaps I'll be able to analyze ridership and such better. I have a few trips for business and also for hanging out so I'll get to see then. The BxM1, BxM2 and BxM4 I'll get to ride. The BxM10 I've used a few times to and from Morris Park and that was a quick ride, but the bus wasn't really crowded going or coming.

Many Woodlawn residents use the BxM4 because the Bx34 doesn't even run on weekends. The Bx31 is a bus that NEVER follows it's schedule. Woodlawn has a nice night life, pubs, bars, restaurants... It would take an extremely long time to commute from Woodlawn to the city. Why don't you try doing this for yourself?

The BxM6 gets decent ridership, so does that matter? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Parkchester actually needs that BxM6, looking at a map doesn't tell everything. There's a reason it's there, so don't be like Dora the Explorer thinking the map tells all.

The BxM11 also gets good ridership, and you forget how these buses are not running on 7th Avenue, and how painfully long it takes for the 2 train to get from Manhattan to the Bronx.

I'll laugh again at your cut express bus. LOL!

If I may ask, where in the Bronx are you exactly? You must be pretty north I imagine... Riverdale or something like that...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its true most if not all BxM routes are faster then the subways and ect, thats one of the reason it runs so late in the night. I think BxM7 should have 24/7 or later service, i did the last 7 the other nite from the bronx also the last to the bronx i can tell you on both trips it was packed as hell. So far i did the last trips from the city on about every route that runs out my depot and i can tell you that they are ues well (7A,7,9,10) , the 6 is a hit and miss.

Yeah I agree with the 7. It should run 24/7. All those BxM routes have great rush hour service and most if not all of those people will say they aint taking the subway. One thing I hate is some of the drivers on the 10 crawl , but it varies between drivers, some will crawl and some will haul ass.

If I may ask, where in the Bronx are you exactly? You must be pretty north I imagine... Riverdale or something like that...
Jamaica mon... I mean Baychester/Eastchester (on the border).. It might as well be Jamaica, more Jamaicans here than the island itself... jk

I'm a 10 minute walk from the first stop on the 5 train, 20 minute walk from the first stop on the 2 train, Riverdale my buttocks!! Hahaha I wish.. :)

Jamaica mon... I mean Baychester/Eastchester (on the border).. It might as well be Jamaica, more Jamaicans here than the island itself... jk

I'm a 10 minute walk from the first stop on the 5 train, 20 minute walk from the first stop on the 2 train, Riverdale my buttocks!! Hahaha I wish.. :)

Yeah, I read somewhere that the area has a high West Indian population. 1 hour 15 minutes... That's about what my commute can take with traffic on the express bus from Staten Island...

Yeah I agree with the 7. It should run 24/7. All those BxM routes have great rush hour service and most if not all of those people will say they aint taking the subway. One thing I hate is some of the drivers on the 10 crawl , but it varies between drivers, some will crawl and some will haul ass.

The BxM7 is one route that does get very good usage. It see them coming into the city with decent loads in Midtown and then at 23rd st they're also very crowded with the line of folks waiting to get on.

My neck of the woods. Most of my family still lives in the area. Palm Tree market smh full of jamaicans. Wickham Av there are ricans starting to move on the block. Lived on Wickham till we moved to LI then I moved off to Jersey.

Oh so basically you guys are saying that because the MTA cut the X90 my opinion on this matter means absolutely nothing?

That's the biggest load of bs I've ever heard. The reason that we got about the X90 being cut was that because the subway which is three quarters of a mile west of where the X90 ran parallel and was a perfectly good alternative. The BxM11 doesn't run parallel to the (2)<5>, it runs on the exact same street for the entirety of its route. And so what if the stations aren't ADA accessible in the Bronx? Lexington Avenue has tons of stairs, and assuming that someone with disabilities is able to get down, they'll have to fight to fit in the train with the rest of us, and have a struggle because there's no room to hold on inside the train. Don't even give me any of the M15 SBS crap because that takes over an hour to get downtown.

I'm not disabled but I even sometimes can't make the 3/4 of a mile trek to the subway and opt for the 15 minute long ride on the crosstown to get me there.

And finally, the X90 was a RUSH HOUR ONLY bus which was to spare riders the walk and the headache of trying to cram into a (6) train car with 200-300 other riders inside already. The BxM11 and the others I mentioned run ALL DAY, EVERY DAY, and from what I can see are only to serve people who are too scared to take the subway at night. Really??

--

And by <5>, I mean the (5) train that goes to Nereid Avenue as opposed to Eastchester.

Orion you may disagree with i say but i don't the BXM6 should run on weekends. The (MTA) Bus should just on weekends have the BXM10 re-routed to serve that BXM6 on Metro Oval and Parkchester Sq. (6) station on weekends.

Other than i agree with almost everything else you said Orion. The BXM11 is really a help since the WPR (2)(5) lines is ongoing a long term rehab work as well.

Many Woodlawn residents use the BxM4 because the Bx34 doesn't even run on weekends. The Bx31 is a bus that NEVER follows it's schedule. Woodlawn has a nice night life, pubs, bars, restaurants... It would take an extremely long time to commute from Woodlawn to the city. Why don't you try doing this for yourself?

The BxM6 gets decent ridership, so does that matter? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Parkchester actually needs that BxM6, looking at a map doesn't tell everything. There's a reason it's there, so don't be like Dora the Explorer thinking the map tells all.

The BxM11 also gets good ridership, and you forget how these buses are not running on 7th Avenue, and how painfully long it takes for the 2 train to get from Manhattan to the Bronx.

YOU JUST MAD BECAUSE YOUR EXPRESS BUS WAS CUT.

Oh hey, why don't you try living in the Bronx and commuting to Manhattan. It takes me from 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 50 minutes to get to 34th and 8th, with NO subway delays. You're whining when your commute takes any longer than 25 minutes? Hahahahahahahaha!!!

Oh so basically you guys are saying that because the MTA cut the X90 my opinion on this matter means absolutely nothing?

That's the biggest load of bs I've ever heard. The reason that we got about the X90 being cut was that because the subway which is three quarters of a mile west of where the X90 ran parallel and was a perfectly good alternative. The BxM11 doesn't run parallel to the (2)<5>, it runs on the exact same street for the entirety of its route. And so what if the stations aren't ADA accessible in the Bronx? Lexington Avenue has tons of stairs, and assuming that someone with disabilities is able to get down, they'll have to fight to fit in the train with the rest of us, and have a struggle because there's no room to hold on inside the train. Don't even give me any of the M15 SBS crap because that takes over an hour to get downtown.

I'm not disabled but I even sometimes can't make the 3/4 of a mile trek to the subway and opt for the 15 minute long ride on the crosstown to get me there.

And finally, the X90 was a RUSH HOUR ONLY bus which was to spare riders the walk and the headache of trying to cram into a (6) train car with 200-300 other riders inside already. The BxM11 and the others I mentioned run ALL DAY, EVERY DAY, and from what I can see are only to serve people who are too scared to take the subway at night. Really??

--

And by <5>, I mean the (5) train that goes to Nereid Avenue as opposed to Eastchester.

LOL! Too scared to ride the subway... I've certainly heard a few folks allude to that idea. Goes to show that snobs are everywhere... :)

--

Well you have the M15, and your Second Avenue subway coming up. Does ANY borough have their own subway line designated for just one borough's use? Shuttles and the SIR are different. Many residents in your area who are on the train for like 5 minutes hog up the seats while we have to stand all the way to the Bronx. You want MTA to lick your cojones because of a possible half hour commute? Get real... Just wait for the T train so people like you could stop crowding the Lexington lines. You guys STILL have it easy!

Why don't you take the 2 train from Wakefield... Then take the BxM11 from there. Talk from experience, not a god damned map. See how long that ride is. See how much your ass hurts for being stuck on a plastic seat for HOURS.

Well you have the M15, and your Second Avenue subway coming up. Does ANY borough have their own subway line designated for just one borough's use? Shuttles and the SIR are different. Many residents in your area who are on the train for like 5 minutes hog up the seats while we have to stand all the way to the Bronx. You want MTA to lick your cojones because of a possible half hour commute? Get real... Just wait for the T train so people like you could stop crowding the Lexington lines. You guys STILL have it easy!

Why don't you take the 2 train from Wakefield... Then take the BxM11 from there. Talk from experience, not a god damned map. See how long that ride is. See how much your ass hurts for being stuck on a plastic seat for HOURS.

Sorry, I think I bust a gut laughing about the (T) train and the Second Avenue Subway in your post. The (T) will NEVER HAPPEN. The (Q) to 96th will be AT LEAST another 10-15 years. And I'm pretty sure that someone coming from Staten Island would have a faster commute than me if I were to take the select downtown during rush hour.

And I'm not saying get rid of the BxM11 and those other buses altogether, I'm just saying that they don't need to running around the clock every single day. I'm just trying to say how the MTA's reason for eliminating the X90, X25, and all those other express buses that ran RUSH HOURS ONLY applies exactly to many of the Bronx express buses which run practically 24/7/365.

I'm not against Bronx express buses or the riders at all, I'm just sick of the huge amount of hypocrisy that the MTA is spewing out.

Sorry, I think I bust a gut laughing about the (T) train and the Second Avenue Subway in your post. The (T) will NEVER HAPPEN. The (Q) to 96th will be AT LEAST another 10-15 years. And I'm pretty sure that someone coming from Staten Island would have a faster commute than me if I were to take the select downtown during rush hour.

And I'm not saying get rid of the BxM11 and those other buses altogether, I'm just saying that they don't need to running around the clock every single day. I'm just trying to say how the MTA's reason for eliminating the X90, X25, and all those other express buses that ran RUSH HOURS ONLY applies exactly to many of the Bronx express buses which run practically 24/7/365.

I'm not against Bronx express buses or the riders at all, I'm just sick of the huge amount of hypocrisy that the MTA is spewing out.

These routes actually have people riding on them late at night, it's about the $$ in the end of the day, not how much something makes sense, welcome to business. If you were the MTA and saw there were more people riding the BxM11 than the X90, which would you cut first? I can't even get on the 1:30AM BxM7 sometimes because it's so crowded! So then I have to take the (4), to the (2), to the (5) shuttle, and get home at 3:00-4:00AM.

The MTA cut the Q79, and apparently they've actually really needed that route, so people are actually spreading the word about how badly they want that route back. I don't see/hear about ANY articles of people wanting the x90 back.

I'd just take a cab or ride a bike if I lived around your area. Biking is one of the best ways to get around in Manhattan (if no one steals it when you park it).

The BxM7 has a better chance of becoming a 24 hour express bus than the x90 coming back, since it's so crowded from the moment it starts running, til the very end.

Also don't think that 2nd Avenue construction is to play with lego blocks or something underground. The MTA is actually trying to get the (T) up and running, the problem with the (T) is that every time they try to work on it, a MAJOR recession hits. :)

These routes actually have people riding on them late at night, it's about the $$ in the end of the day, not how much something makes sense, welcome to business. If you were the MTA and saw there were more people riding the BxM11 than the X90, which would you cut first? I can't even get on the 1:30AM BxM7 sometimes because it's so crowded! So then I have to take the (4), to the (2), to the (5) shuttle, and get home at 3:00-4:00AM.

The MTA cut the Q79, and apparently they've actually really needed that route, so people are actually spreading the word about how badly they want that route back. I don't see/hear about ANY articles of people wanting the x90 back.

I'd just take a cab or ride a bike if I lived around your area. Biking is one of the best ways to get around in Manhattan (if no one steals it when you park it).

The BxM7 has a better chance of becoming a 24 hour express bus than the x90 coming back, since it's so crowded from the moment it starts running, til the very end.

Also don't think that 2nd Avenue construction is to play with lego blocks or something underground. The MTA is actually trying to get the (T) up and running, the problem with the (T) is that every time they try to work on it, a MAJOR recession hits. :)

I'd rather not spend $50 a day on cab fare, and LOL good luck getting me to hop on my bike at 7 in the morning when I'm barely even wide awake enough to walk to the bus stop at the corner.

And once again you guys manage to change the subject and start bashing me about the X90. All I did was simply state how the express bus serving my neighborhood was taken away when delays on the subway usually double the commute time than when there's no delays, which was a perfectly legitimate point because one of your defenses for late night and weekend Bronx express bus service is screwed up subway service.

For those in Upper East Side/Yorkville like Gorgor, I still feel a compromise is to create a "M90" limited making limited stops along York between 92nd and 57th then non-stop express via FDR and then all stops via Park Row/Chambers to Battery Park City.

I'm sorry but that makes no sense at all. How does reducing the fare by $3.25 help the MTA at all? We have no problem with the $5.50 fare at all.

Now can we get BACK ON TOPIC please?!?

That's the thing though... I mentioned all of that in the last hearing. I told them that the last buses of the night often have standees and talked about how dangerous of a situation it is, so if they didn't know before, they know now. I strongly believe that they don't want a pandora's box to be opened. The last thing they want is express buses 24/7 but at some point I think their hand will be forced to do so. B)

Of course I'll love it when that day comes around or at least when I can have an X1 or an X10 at 03:00 or 04:00 in the morning after a night out in the city. :cool: I tell ya though you go out and have some drinks and boy I just crash on the express bus w/my Italian shades on and it is the best nap. B)

You asked for later service, not necessarily 24/7 service.

The Bx7 + M2 Bus for downtown?? No way! That ill take more then 1 and half. Maybe the BxM1 id take or Bx7 to the (1).

The M2 doesn't even serve West Midtown.

Apparently the city supplements the Bronx express bus routes and they all run under (MTA) Bus. However, the X90 was not supplemented by the city. I personally think it is a load of BS. If the city is going to supplement express bus service for the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens because the routes are struggling then what about other express bus routes that are struggling? The city's way of thinking is that some areas lack subway service so in order to give these areas service that don't necessarily have high ridership they pay for them. Since it costs the (MTA) next to nothing to run them then they of course don't cut the service in most cases. My thing is hey Staten Island has NO subways and yet our service ends way before the Bronx does and they have far shorter commutes. And yeah I agree that the X90 could've been suplemented by the city too if they're going to argue about a lack of subways or subways being f*cked up.

I honestly am trying to understand this because quite frankly I want to write to the city about this nonsense. If they can supplement express bus service for some then they need to do it for all! :mad:

I get the feeling that it also has to do with certain communities having more pull and making more of a stink about keeping their express bus service. If that's the case when we on Staten Island need to start making more noise and I have no problem stirring the pot either to get what we're due in terms of express bus service.

Oh and since I use the BM expresses in Brooklyn I'd make a stink about getting service restored on Saturdays too since they've been constantly cutting our service on the BM1 - BM4 and yet they have empty BxMs running into Manhattan.... Talk about hypocrisy.

It has absolutely nothing to do with political power. It has to do with which communities were originally served by those private companies.

I think the city should calculate how much it gives to the MTA for the private lines and just give it to them. That way, they could use the money for worthwhile lines rather than on wasteful lines (e.g. they could restore the B4 instead of running the BM4 off-peak)

You have to consider that, overall, the Bronx express routes are cheaper to run than the Brooklyn express routes, so that could explain why service is provided so late. Of course, the SI routes are the cheapest (especially on the weekends), but the thing is that the city doesn't subsidize them.

Well said bro, i have ppl that comes on the bus and tell me thats why they rather pay $550 to avoid taking the over croweded trains where delays is always a factor, also they are places where the subways dont reach and also ADA compatible is also a factor.

I thought the fare was $5.50, not $550. :)

YOU JUST MAD BECAUSE YOUR EXPRESS BUS WAS CUT.

Oh hey, why don't you try living in the Bronx and commuting to Manhattan. It takes me from 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 50 minutes to get to 34th and 8th, with NO subway delays. You're whining when your commute takes any longer than 25 minutes? Hahahahahahahaha!!!

The fact that the Bx34 was cut is no reason for the BxM4 to exist: It's a reason for the Bx34 to be brought back (or for Bx16 service to be expanded)

As far as the BxM6 goes, I'd say to have the BxM10 cover it on weekends.

--

It's not 3/4 of a mile: It's 1/2 mile and there are areas where people have to walk up to 1/2 mile to access any bus period (my area is one of them).

But to be fair, the X90 did have decent ridership, so it should be brought back with less frequent service.

Replies in red.

WHY is it that the MTA can afford to have Bronx express buses running at midnight on a Sunday but they have to cut quite a few rush hour only express buses that had decent ridership levels?

And who cares if the subway is screwed up? They eliminated my express bus and the subway here is ALWAYS messed up in the morning. A subway ride that takes 15 minutes in the afternoon coming back can easily take 25-30 minutes in the morning rush due to trains bunching up and generic delays. Quite a few times it has taken 45 minutes due to just randomly stopping in the tunnel and not moving for a good 5-10 minutes.

Also I was looking at the Bronx Bus Map, and I cannot believe any of this:

- The BxM4 runs above the (:)(D) for almost its entire route

- The BxM6 is easily within walking distance of the (6)<6> Parkchester station

- For the ENTIRETY of its route, the BxM11 runs DIRECTLY UNDER the (2)<5> trains

If the MTA decided that in June 2010 they were going to remove express buses and give the reason because they ran parallel to subway lines, I saw remove those routes, or AT LEAST THE BxM11 because the <5> train right there goes to the exact same place much faster.

Who cares if they run PARALLEL to the subway lines? The subway is much slower then the bus! Like others said, most station are NOT accesable, so the handicapped can not take the subway. And yeah who cares about the X90....WE DON'T CARE!!! Its NOT our route so keep this TO YOURSELF, WE DON'T GIVE A DAMN WHAT YOU SAY. If you want to complain, don't come here and post your garbage.

--

Stop doing this, you keep FAILING! Yeah so what the X90 only went RUSH HOURS which ment it was a waste of a bus line. Bus lines that run rush hours only HAVE LOW RIDERSHIP AND COSTS THE MTA MONEY, so they cut it. Big deal, like I said noone gives a damn that you have to walk to take the crowded subway..

Uhh, the (T) WILL HAPPEN. Second av sagas is the website YOU NEED TO GO TO. Those bronx express buses run to make the ride FASTER. Wheelchair passengers cannot use some stations cause there not accessable, like me and other said. So they take the BUS instead...

I'd rather not spend $50 a day on cab fare, and LOL good luck getting me to hop on my bike at 7 in the morning when I'm barely even wide awake enough to walk to the bus stop at the corner.

And once again you guys manage to change the subject and start bashing me about the X90. All I did was simply state how the express bus serving my neighborhood was taken away when delays on the subway usually double the commute time than when there's no delays, which was a perfectly legitimate point because one of your defenses for late night and weekend Bronx express bus service is screwed up subway service.

I'm sorry but that makes no sense at all. How does reducing the fare by $3.25 help the MTA at all? We have no problem with the $5.50 fare at all.

Now can we get BACK ON TOPIC please?!?

About that, your the one who got this off topic....

Now I don't care what you say, but you seem like YOUR THE ONLY ONE WHO GOT AFFECTED BY THE SERVICE CUTS....

GROW UP! :mad:

***facepalm***

You asked for later service, not necessarily 24/7 service.

Let's not be ridiculous now. You know there is no way in hell that the (MTA) is going to give us 24/7 express bus service, at least not immediately. Asking for that at the hearing, I would've been wasting my time. What I proposed by having some of the less utilized express buses be turned and ran later at night is a pretty fair compromise in order to keep the costs somewhat neutral so that they can't just say no like they did with your S93 proposal. I mean I'm sure folks wouldn't mind having service every hour later on in the evening when the demand tends to be lighter if they could have a few more buses late at night like 02:00 or 03:00 in the morning back to Staten Island. For example on Saturdays on the X10 they have a bus scheduled at 18:00, then at 18:26 and 18:56. That 18:26 bus could be put to run at 02:00 in the morning back to Staten Island where it would be better utilized. The key thing with the X10 is to have the B/Os stop running 10 - 15 minutes early and hourly service at that time would be fine. :mad: :mad:

It has absolutely nothing to do with political power. It has to do with which communities were originally served by those private companies.

I'm sorry but I beg to differ. The folks up in Riverdale would throw a fit if any of their express bus service was touched and if you don't think that they don't have any pull then think about this. They're the only community in the Bronx with 3 express bus lines and the only one that has direct Downtown express bus service. You are very mistaken in thinking that the Bronx folks aren't vocal about their service and it's not just one community, but all of the communities in general.

I think the city should calculate how much it gives to the MTA for the private lines and just give it to them. That way, they could use the money for worthwhile lines rather than on wasteful lines (e.g. they could restore the B4 instead of running the BM4 off-peak)

You have to consider that, overall, the Bronx express routes are cheaper to run than the Brooklyn express routes, so that could explain why service is provided so late. Of course, the SI routes are the cheapest (especially on the weekends), but the thing is that the city doesn't subsidize them.

I disagree about the city just giving the (MTA) monies. The monies should be allocated for specific services and Staten Island should get its fair share of those services so that we get our express bus service later. :mad:

The city also apparently subsidies these routes because some areas don't have subway service, so based on that theory, we should have our service subsidized by them too seeing that we have no subway service at all. :mad:

As far as express bus service in the Bronx, I think it's fine that they get what they have, but the city needs to spread the love around. Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island should elegible for the same late night service that the Bronx gets, plain and simple and what I need to figure out is how the cities goes about subsidizing certain lines. Either way I plan on writing the mayor about this and my elected officials. :mad: As for Gorgor's X90, I also agree that if the city can keep express bus routes around because the subways in the Bronx are often f*cked up then the X90 should be kept around as well, as the (4)(5) and (6) lines often f*ck up as well. The other day I had to wait almost 20 minutes for a (5) train to show up because something happened along the line delaying service in both directions. :)

Wow, I didn't even know that the elimination of the X90 is serious business today.

The X90 is now called the M15+SBS.. What else do you want?

If hes commute is sooooooooooooo long.. Pay a damn yellow cab, but will cost more and get hit with traffic.

TBH from 125th Street to 14th Street on the LEX is just 15min compared to the local bus.

I dont even live near an express bus. The nearest for me is the BxM10 which is at 180th Street/Morris Park ave. But even that i dont need because it takes me 20-25min from up here in the Bronx to Midtown.

If Gorgor wants an express bus, move to another borough. But expect longer commute time.

Wow, I didn't even know that the elimination of the X90 is serious business today.

The x90 is ALWAYS serious business around here!:)

I don't know what the big deal is about the x25 and x90. The ridership PROVED that there is not enough demand for a inter-borough express route. If anything I agree w/ Shortline that maybe the (MTA) should try a M90 Limited or even extend the current M98. But in no way shape or form should MCIs be back on a inter-borough run.

Gorgor and via Garibaldi 8, you both sound like little kids......"IF I CAN'T HAVE IT, THEN THEY CAN'T EITHER!" Let's face it, the Bronx express service is needed and very well patronized. I'm not doubting that express service on S.I. does not need improving, but don't go around trying to cut other commuter throats. Because if you honestly think those 3000s would head toward S.I. if the (MTA) cut service in the Bronx, you been smoking some good purple kush!

1) Let's not be ridiculous now. You know there is no way in hell that the (MTA) is going to give us 24/7 express bus service, at least not immediately. Asking for that at the hearing, I would've been wasting my time. What I proposed by having some of the less utilized express buses be turned and ran later at night is a pretty fair compromise in order to keep the costs somewhat neutral so that they can't just say no like they did with your S93 proposal.

2) I'm sorry but I beg to differ. The folks up in Riverdale would throw a fit if any of their express bus service was touched and if you don't think that they don't have any pull then think about this. They're the only community in the Bronx with 3 express bus lines and the only one that has direct Downtown express bus service. You are very mistaken in thinking that the Bronx folks aren't vocal about their service and it's not just one community, but all of the communities in general.

3) I disagree about the city just giving the (MTA) monies. The monies should be allocated for specific services and Staten Island should get its fair share of those services so that we get our express bus service later. :mad:

The city also apparently subsidies these routes because some areas don't have subway service, so based on that theory, we should have our service subsidized by them too seeing that we have no subway service at all. :mad:

4) As far as express bus service in the Bronx, I think it's fine that they get what they have, but the city needs to spread the love around. Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island should elegible for the same late night service that the Bronx gets, plain and simple and what I need to figure out is how the cities goes about subsidizing certain lines. Either way I plan on writing the mayor about this and my elected officials. :mad: As for Gorgor's X90, I also agree that if the city can keep express bus routes around because the subways in the Bronx are often f*cked up then the X90 should be kept around as well, as the (4)(5) and (6) lines often f*ck up as well. The other day I had to wait almost 20 minutes for a (5) train to show up because something happened along the line delaying service in both directions. B)

1) You could've said something like "ultimately, we should have 24/7 service" or something like that.

And my S93 proposal wasn't cost-neutral, but the additional revenue would offset the costs. Now if they bothered to read my revised proposal (it wasn't even revised. I just elaborated on it more), they'd know that.

2) Does Hylan Blvd ring a bell? Hell, my neighborhood has 2 express buses off-peak, as does Arrochar (though admittedly, it's because these areas are close to the SIE)

3) There are services more important to restore than the express buses. I know you're going to disagree, but the money used for running the BM3 on Saturdays would be better used to restore off-peak service on the B4.

Plus, if the city gives the MTA the money, they have more of an incentive to try to increase the ridership on the lines.

4) It's a blank check agreement. The MTA tells the city what it costs to run the MTA Bus routes (minus the revenue brought in) and the city gives them the money. This also applies to the local routes, though most of them are pretty efficient.

As far as why the Bronx routes get later service than the Brooklyn routes, it's because they are cheaper to run, so the MTA probably feels that there is higher demand in the evening for the Bronx routes. As far as the Queens routes go, I think the Bronx routes are still more efficient.

I don't know what the big deal is about the x25 and x90. The ridership PROVED that there is not enough demand for a inter-borough express route. If anything I agree w/ Shortline that maybe the (MTA) should try a M90 Limited or even extend the current M98. But in no way shape or form should MCIs be back on a inter-borough run.

Gorgor and via Garibaldi 8, you both sound like little kids......"IF I CAN'T HAVE IT, THEN THEY CAN'T EITHER!" Let's face it, the Bronx express service is needed and very well patronized. I'm not doubting that express service on S.I. does not need improving, but don't go around trying to cut other commuter throats. Because if you honestly think those 3000s would head toward S.I. if the (MTA) cut service in the Bronx, you been smoking some good purple kush!

The X25 was interlined with the X29, and it could return if it were interlined with another route in the Midtown area. I think the problem was the low frequency that killed it. Even if it offers a more comfortable ride, people aren't willing to wait 30 minutes for a bus, and pay $5.50 to boot.

And the X90 was pretty efficient as well. It cost around $10 per person (which is decent for an express bus), and if the frequencies were reduced (and it was interlined with another express route), it could've become even more efficient.

1) You could've said something like "ultimately, we should have 24/7 service" or something like that.

Uhh... No... I believe my proposal is far more rational especially in these economic times. You have to crawl before you can walk and they aren't making any big changes cost wise. I would be happy for now having a few more buses late at night running until say 04:00 or so.

2) Does Hylan Blvd ring a bell? Hell, my neighborhood has 2 express buses off-peak, as does Arrochar (though admittedly, it's because these areas are close to the SIE)

I said the BRONX not Staten Island... B)

QUOTE=checkmatechamp13;469621]

3) There are services more important to restore than the express buses. I know you're going to disagree, but the money used for running the BM3 on Saturdays would be better used to restore off-peak service on the B4.

Plus, if the city gives the MTA the money, they have more of an incentive to try to increase the ridership on the lines.

Yeah well there is no way in hell that I would give up my Saturday BM3 service just for B4 service... Besides the city subsidizes the BM3 anyway along with the other BM express bus lines. :cool:

As far as why the Bronx routes get later service than the Brooklyn routes, it's because they are cheaper to run, so the MTA probably feels that there is higher demand in the evening for the Bronx routes. As far as the Queens routes go, I think the Bronx routes are still more efficient.

Cheap or not Queens gets shabby express bus service, esp. late at night and there are areas that are quite isolated and far out.

I said before that if they need it then fine, but the other boroughs need their fare share of express bus service as well. You can't tell me that other areas of the city with longer commutes shouldn't have later service and in some cases have HIGHER ridership than these Bronx lines and they shouldn't have it. That's preposterous.

Many of the reasons that have been given could very well be applied to the other boroughs so I see no reason why the other boroughs shouldn't have expanded service as well.

1) I said the BRONX not Staten Island...

2) Yeah well there is no way in hell that I would give up my Saturday BM3 service just for B4 service... Besides the city subsidizes the BM3 anyway along with the other BM express bus lines. :cool:

3) Cheap or not Queens gets shabby express bus service, esp. late at night and there are areas that are quite isolated and far out.

1) What's your point? The other Bronx express routes don't have as high ridership as the Riverdale routes.

2) Yeah, but I'm sure there are plenty of people in Sheepshead Bay who would agree with me. A friend of my grandmother lives right across the street from the first stop of the BM3 and doesn't even know it exists. She just wants the B4 back. Yeah, some people would be pissed by seeing the BM3 go, but more people would benefit from having the B4 restored.

In any case, since the city subsidizes the BM3, it's alright, but the fact that the city has a blank-check agreement in the first place (instead of just giving the MTA the money) is what's the problem. I'm sorry, but the BM3 and BM4 shouldn't be allowed to stay while the B4 is cut back.

Hell, since you want to talk about express buses, they shouldn't be allowed to stay while the X27 is cut back.

3) Alright.

Archived