Why does the Bronx get express bus service so late at night?

Via Garibaldi 8

I've been analyzing the bus loads of the BXM express buses coming to the city and some of them aren't all that crowded, yet they get express buses up to 23:00 at night on most lines. Going back to the Bronx, the BMXs get good service as well and in many cases, their services goes well past the express bus service that Staten Island receives and we have far longer commutes. :mad:

So what gives? Now overall I know most Bronx express bus lines are well utilized, but that doesn't mean that each bus is well utilized. It's great that they get service so late, but I think that the other boroughs should have just as much express bus service as the Bronx gets, especially if they have higher ridership. What boogles my mind is that many of the Bronx express bus routes are relatively short and some mirror subway lines to boot.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been analyzing the bus loads of the BXM express buses coming to the city and some of them aren't all that crowded, yet they get express buses up to 23:00 at night on most lines. Going back to the Bronx, the BMXs get good service as well and in many cases, their services goes well past the express bus service that Staten Island receives and we have far longer commutes. :mad:

So what gives? Now overall I know most Bronx express bus lines are well utilized, but that doesn't mean that each bus is well utilized. It's great that they get service so late, but I think that the other boroughs should have just as much express bus service as the Bronx gets, especially if they have higher ridership. What boogles my mind is that many of the Bronx express bus routes are relatively short and some mirror subway lines to boot.

cause their subway service is always screwed up they need most of their lines some however can go bye bye or lose an unproductive segments. Brooklyn has late express from manhattan but there is no damand for night manhattan-bound service. The queens expresses also run late at night as well the ones that don't mirror lirr or dont have the demand. What would you do to improve staten island express service PM me I could use the hints. Many BM lines don't warrent night service due to low usage I mean anemic empty x25 low

cause their subway service is always screwed up they need most of their lines some however can go bye bye or lose an unproductive segments. Brooklyn has late express from manhattan but there is no damand for night manhattan-bound service. The queens expresses also run late at night as well the ones that don't mirror lirr or dont have the demand. What would you do to improve staten island express service PM me I could use the hints. Many BM lines don't warrent night service due to low usage I mean anemic empty x25 low

Well that's true, but just because their subway service sucks doesn't warrant them to get such good express bus service. We on Staten Island have NO subways and far higher ridership AND longer commutes, so if anything we should have extended express bus service before they do. :mad:

I'm wondering if the fact they're all (MTA) Bus routes has anything to do with it because the city suppliments those lines, so of course they'll run more service since it doesn't cost them (the (MTA)) anything.

Well that's true, but just because their subway service sucks doesn't warrant them to get such good express bus service. We on Staten Island have NO subways and far higher ridership AND longer commutes, so if anything we should have extended express bus service before they do. :mad:

I'm wondering if the fact they're all (MTA) Bus routes has anything to do with it because the city suppliments those lines, so of course they'll run more service since it doesn't cost them (the (MTA)) anything.

There you go. You've answered your own question. The city pays for the MTA Bus routes, so the MTA runs excess service on them.

Now of course, if we can prove to them that there's demand for late night service, maybe it'll get done. :( Add that to the list of topics for future meetings.

Being fair the "BXM7' is the only Bronx express routes that should run late and maybe in near future like the X-1 have 24/7 service.

Other routes like the BXM3, BXM9 and BXM10 does not need inbound (To Manhattan)running so late especially on Sunday nights. On Sunday Nights the last Midtown bound BXM3, BXM9 and BXM10 should leave their Bronx terminals i.e Yonkers-Getty Sq., Throgs Neck and Eastchester at around 8pm.

Those last trips on Sunday often have *zero* riders.

Returning northbound to Bronx/Yonkers, those lines can continue to have their last trips at around 11pm-Midnight.

And Garbaldi as i stated in earlier posts, i always felt the BXM2 does not need Sunday service since Riverdale Ave riders can use the BX7 to the (M2)

(M3) (M4) (M5) in Washington Heights or the BXM1 if they don't want to use the (1) subway or even Metro North.

To answer the question, it goes back to the pre (MTA) takeover and when Liberty Lines and NY Bus service ran the Bronx express lines. They ran it that late as a Manhattan Commutter line similar to say Coach USA in the NJ and Rockland/Orange Counties and (NJT) NJ transit as well.

I am sure someone else like COTB can explain further.

So in sense hope it answers the basic question.

There you go. You've answered your own question. The city pays for the MTA Bus routes, so the MTA runs excess service on them.

Now of course, if we can prove to them that there's demand for late night service, maybe it'll get done. :( Add that to the list of topics for future meetings.

Well then why is that none of the Staten Island buses are supplemented by the city? The city supplements those lines because many of them aren't near subway lines, but we have NO subway lines, so what in the hell is that??? :mad: :mad: :mad: May I point out that some of the current express bus lines were once also private and then the (MTA) took them over, but apparently the city isn't supplementing any of our express bus lines.

As for demonstrating that we need later service... Please... The numbers speak for themselves. The X1, X10 and X17 have are the highest used express buses in the system. The demand is there but the service isn't. :mad: :mad:

Well then why is that none of the Staten Island buses are supplemented by the city? The city supplements those lines because many of them aren't near subway lines, but we have NO subway lines, so what in the hell is that??? :mad: :mad: :mad: May I point out that some of the current express bus lines were once also private and then the (MTA) took them over, but apparently the city isn't supplementing any of our express bus lines.

As for demonstrating that we need later service... Please... The numbers speak for themselves. The X1, X10 and X17 have are the highest used express buses in the system. The demand is there but the service isn't. :mad: :mad:

now you know how my dutchess county friends feel and my LI buddies welcome to my world.

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF OCEAN COUNTY NJ

Just caught the X1 yesterday afternoon and there were about a good 15-20 standees and this is normal for the X1. They run hundreds of express buses on the weekdays but the MTA can't get the much simpler weekend service to run properly. :tdown: :tdown:

Also, the X10 schedules at the bus stops and the official schedule itself are about 10 minutes off. The X10 usually shows up 10 minutes early along the narrows rd stops.

And I couldn't agree anymore that the X1 should be 24/7.

Just caught the X1 yesterday afternoon and there were about a good 15-20 standees and this is normal for the X1. They run hundreds of express buses on the weekdays but the MTA can't get the much simpler weekend service to run properly. :tdown: :tdown:

Also, the X10 schedules at the bus stops and the official schedule itself are about 10 minutes off. The X10 usually shows up 10 minutes early along the narrows rd stops.

And I couldn't agree anymore that the X1 should be 24/7.

I spoke about this very problem at the hearing stating that we often having standees late at night on the X1 and also on the X10 as well. I have wrote in on several occasions about the X10 and some of them have been adhering to the schedule. However, I am still finding that going towards Manhattan the X10s are about 10 minutes early and that is simply because they aren't adhering to the schedule and the fact that they are given too much time to get from one stop to another. It is something that I plan to speak about at the next hearing because we have been writing over and over about this problem and it needs to be addressed because we're not benefiting from the increased service that has been provided on the X10. :mad:

Yep, I've long felt that the Bronx (in general) gets too much express service, especially on weekends.... I think it has to do w/ what Shortline brought up, back to the MTA just takin on the services & scheduling of the former PBL routes..... also, the point that checkmate brought up, is most likely the reason they have buses running as late as they do...

I remember someone on another forum (non transit related) sayin that the bronx locals & the expresses run as late as they do, because it's the city's way of keeping people off bronx trains when it gets dark as much as possible - given the high amt. of crimes in the subway system... he also went on this rant about, all the city caring about in the bronx with is the (1) & the (6) & him having to deal with the neglect along the concourse line, and the lack of service the city provides during yankee games.....

^^ of course I'm paraphrasing, but this was all part of a racist tirade, regarding the city's outlook on the bronx, being that it's heavily spanish.... some of it was funny, some of it was completely ignorant...

just wanted to bring that up since it's somewhat relevant.... I kinda sorta agree with that point of view (as it pertains to express buses, that is)....

Yep, I've long felt that the Bronx (in general) gets too much express service, especially on weekends.... I think it has to do w/ what Shortline brought up, back to the MTA just takin on the services & scheduling of the former PBL routes..... also, the point that checkmate brought up, is most likely the reason they have buses running as late as they do...

I remember someone on another forum (non transit related) sayin that the bronx locals & the expresses run as late as they do, because it's the city's way of keeping people off bronx trains when it gets dark as much as possible - given the high amt. of crimes in the subway system... he also went on this rant about, all the city caring about in the bronx with is the (1) & the (6) & him having to deal with the neglect along the concourse line, and the lack of service the city provides during yankee games.....

^^ of course I'm paraphrasing, but this was all part of a racist tirade, regarding the city's outlook on the bronx, being that it's heavily spanish.... some of it was funny, some of it was completely ignorant...

just wanted to bring that up since it's somewhat relevant.... I kinda sorta agree with that point of view (as it pertains to express buses, that is)....

Well I had a colleague of mine who was white and she would have to go through a rough part of the Bronx to get to her neck of the woods so she would haul @ss over to the express bus so that she could avoid the riff raff. She would complain about how the (6) train was such a mess on Sundays with chicken bones and such all over the place and basically the express bus allowed her to avoid all of that. I personally can see that as a reason why they have express bus service so late both to and from the Bronx. It also seems as if the communities with express bus service are extremely vocal. They don't give the city an inch. I recall reading somewhere about how pissed they were about having the old buses which broke down frequently, which makes me think that perhaps that was why they received all new MCIs while Queens and Brooklyn still had some old fleet that they had to use (the Orions, with a mix of new MCIs). There is no question that Riverdale is extremely vocal as well.

I think the only routes that were privately operated were the ones that run via New Jersey. Even then, the arrangement was different (I believe the SI private companies were self-sufficient, whereas the ones in the other boroughs became unprofitable and needed the city's help)

And yeah, the numbers are there, but nobody's presented the numbers to them. :( Just mention that there are regularly standeees on the last few buses and that shows that there's a need for later service. Maybe they're not studying the numbers because nobody told them to.

I think the only routes that were privately operated were the ones that run via New Jersey. Even then, the arrangement was different (I believe the SI private companies were self-sufficient, whereas the ones in the other boroughs became unprofitable and needed the city's help)

And yeah, the numbers are there, but nobody's presented the numbers to them. :( Just mention that there are regularly standeees on the last few buses and that shows that there's a need for later service. Maybe they're not studying the numbers because nobody told them to.

That's the thing though... I mentioned all of that in the last hearing. I told them that the last buses of the night often have standees and talked about how dangerous of a situation it is, so if they didn't know before, they know now. I strongly believe that they don't want a pandora's box to be opened. The last thing they want is express buses 24/7 but at some point I think their hand will be forced to do so. :)

Of course I'll love it when that day comes around or at least when I can have an X1 or an X10 at 03:00 or 04:00 in the morning after a night out in the city. :cool: I tell ya though you go out and have some drinks and boy I just crash on the express bus w/my Italian shades on and it is the best nap. B)

Part of it goes back to the crime wave in NYC say between 1970-'95. Not meant to sound racial but part of the appeal of the old Liberty Lines/NY Bus Service prior to the (MTA) takeover was that the very few Bronx Neighborhoods with a large 'white' population i.e Riverdale, Throgs Neck and City Island were in 2-fare zones at least a couple of miles from nearest subway stops. The (2) and (5) at that time (before gentrifcation came to parts of the South Bronx a decade back around 2000)went through the South Bronx which for years was the most crime ridden neighborhood in NYC.

Even though the South Bronx and other parts of the boro are 'safer' according to crime stats, the stagima of the 1970's/80's crime wave era remain..

That part of the reason even though ideally almost all of the Bronx express routes (other than the BXM7 and maybe the BX1)does not need late evening service on weekends running as late until 12 Midnight. My take is I don't have a problem with most buses running until around Midnight on weekday evenings. Personally it's weekend late evening i agree with "B35" it's too much especially on Sunday Nights.

Thus, many (MTA) riders citywide wondered why during the June 2010 doomsday cuts the Bronx express routes were basically 'untouched.'

Well I had a colleague of mine who was white and she would have to go through a rough part of the Bronx to get to her neck of the woods so she would haul @ss over to the express bus so that she could avoid the riff raff. She would complain about how the (6) train was such a mess on Sundays with chicken bones and such all over the place and basically the express bus allowed her to avoid all of that. I personally can see that as a reason why they have express bus service so late both to and from the Bronx. It also seems as if the communities with express bus service are extremely vocal. They don't give the city an inch. I recall reading somewhere about how pissed they were about having the old buses which broke down frequently, which makes me think that perhaps that was why they received all new MCIs while Queens and Brooklyn still had some old fleet that they had to use (the Orions, with a mix of new MCIs). There is no question that Riverdale is extremely vocal as well.

Being fair the "BXM7' is the only Bronx express routes that should run late and maybe in near future like the X-1 have 24/7 service.

Other routes like the BXM3, BXM9 and BXM10 does not need inbound (To Manhattan)running so late especially on Sunday nights. On Sunday Nights the last Midtown bound BXM3, BXM9 and BXM10 should leave their Bronx terminals i.e Yonkers-Getty Sq., Throgs Neck and Eastchester at around 8pm.

Those last trips on Sunday often have *zero* riders.

Returning northbound to Bronx/Yonkers, those lines can continue to have their last trips at around 11pm-Midnight.

And Garbaldi as i stated in earlier posts, i always felt the BXM2 does not need Sunday service since Riverdale Ave riders can use the BX7 to the (M2)

(M3) (M4) (M5) in Washington Heights or the BXM1 if they don't want to use the (1) subway or even Metro North.

To answer the question, it goes back to the pre (MTA) takeover and when Liberty Lines and NY Bus service ran the Bronx express lines. They ran it that late as a Manhattan Commutter line similar to say Coach USA in the NJ and Rockland/Orange Counties and (NJT) NJ transit as well.

I am sure someone else like COTB can explain further.

So in sense hope it answers the basic question.

The Bx7 + M2 Bus for downtown?? No way! That ill take more then 1 and half. Maybe the BxM1 id take or Bx7 to the (1).

WHY is it that the MTA can afford to have Bronx express buses running at midnight on a Sunday but they have to cut quite a few rush hour only express buses that had decent ridership levels?

And who cares if the subway is screwed up? They eliminated my express bus and the subway here is ALWAYS messed up in the morning. A subway ride that takes 15 minutes in the afternoon coming back can easily take 25-30 minutes in the morning rush due to trains bunching up and generic delays. Quite a few times it has taken 45 minutes due to just randomly stopping in the tunnel and not moving for a good 5-10 minutes.

Also I was looking at the Bronx Bus Map, and I cannot believe any of this:

- The BxM4 runs above the (:((D) for almost its entire route

- The BxM6 is easily within walking distance of the (6)<6> Parkchester station

- For the ENTIRETY of its route, the BxM11 runs DIRECTLY UNDER the (2)<5> trains

If the MTA decided that in June 2010 they were going to remove express buses and give the reason because they ran parallel to subway lines, I saw remove those routes, or AT LEAST THE BxM11 because the <5> train right there goes to the exact same place much faster.

lol... Yeah the BxM10 trip I took to Morris Park to visit a co-worker was maybe 30 minutes to Midtown. The end of the month I'll be using the BxM1 and BxM2 to Riverdale and back... :)

Exactly! I cant stand to sit on the 2 or 5 anymore when visiting family. I dealt with the 2 & 5 all my life and when I realized the 10 was faster it was a wrap. A friend of mine works the 10 and I usually wait for his bus.

WHY is it that the MTA can afford to have Bronx express buses running at midnight on a Sunday but they have to cut quite a few rush hour only express buses that had decent ridership levels?

And who cares if the subway is screwed up? They eliminated my express bus and the subway here is ALWAYS messed up in the morning. A subway ride that takes 15 minutes in the afternoon coming back can easily take 25-30 minutes in the morning rush due to trains bunching up and generic delays. Quite a few times it has taken 45 minutes due to just randomly stopping in the tunnel and not moving for a good 5-10 minutes.

- The BxM4 runs above the (:)(D) for almost its entire route

- For the ENTIRETY of its route, the BxM11 runs DIRECTLY UNDER the (2)<5> trains

If the MTA decided that in June 2010 they were going to remove express buses and give the reason because they ran parallel to subway lines, I saw remove those routes, or AT LEAST THE BxM11 because the <5> train right there goes to the exact same place much faster.

Apparently the city supplements the Bronx express bus routes and they all run under (MTA) Bus. However, the X90 was not supplemented by the city. I personally think it is a load of BS. If the city is going to supplement express bus service for the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens because the routes are struggling then what about other express bus routes that are struggling? The city's way of thinking is that some areas lack subway service so in order to give these areas service that don't necessarily have high ridership they pay for them. Since it costs the (MTA) next to nothing to run them then they of course don't cut the service in most cases. My thing is hey Staten Island has NO subways and yet our service ends way before the Bronx does and they have far shorter commutes. And yeah I agree that the X90 could've been suplemented by the city too if they're going to argue about a lack of subways or subways being f*cked up.

I honestly am trying to understand this because quite frankly I want to write to the city about this nonsense. If they can supplement express bus service for some then they need to do it for all! :mad:

I get the feeling that it also has to do with certain communities having more pull and making more of a stink about keeping their express bus service. If that's the case when we on Staten Island need to start making more noise and I have no problem stirring the pot either to get what we're due in terms of express bus service.

Oh and since I use the BM expresses in Brooklyn I'd make a stink about getting service restored on Saturdays too since they've been constantly cutting our service on the BM1 - BM4 and yet they have empty BxMs running into Manhattan.... Talk about hypocrisy.

Here we go again with your precious express bus rants!

#1. The (B) and (D) train stations for the most part have no ADA accessibility, the BxM4 fixes that problem and runs farther than the (B) and (D)

#2. The BxM6 reaches places that the (6) doesnt, ever thought of that?

#3. There IS no <5> for quite a long time in The Bronx because of the construction along the line & the East 180th Street Station & Signal rehab IIRC, the BxM11 is the replacement for the time being. Also, no ADA accessibility along the (2)/(5) for the most part (and dont say build escalators or elevators unless you are paying for them)

Notably so, the BxM4 and BxM11 pick up handicapped passengers.

Also, 30-45 minutes is not that bad compared to 1hr + going to another borough, so stop complaining.

Exactly! I cant stand to sit on the 2 or 5 anymore when visiting family. I dealt with the 2 & 5 all my life and when I realized the 10 was faster it was a wrap. A friend of mine works the 10 and I usually wait for his bus.

Its true most if not all BxM routes are faster then the subways and ect, thats one of the reason it runs so late in the night. I think BxM7 should have 24/7 or later service, i did the last 7 the other nite from the bronx also the last to the bronx i can tell you on both trips it was packed as hell. So far i did the last trips from the city on about every route that runs out my depot and i can tell you that they are ues well (7A,7,9,10) , the 6 is a hit and miss.

Here we go again with your precious express bus rants!

#1. The (:) and (D) train stations for the most part have no ADA accessibility, the BxM4 fixes that problem and runs farther than the (B) and (D)

#2. The BxM6 reaches places that the (6) doesnt, ever thought of that?

#3. There IS no <5> for quite a long time in The Bronx because of the construction along the line & the East 180th Street Station & Signal rehab IIRC, the BxM11 is the replacement for the time being. Also, no ADA accessibility along the (2)/(5) for the most part (and dont say build escalators or elevators unless you are paying for them)

Notably so, the BxM4 and BxM11 pick up handicapped passengers.

Also, 30-45 minutes is not that bad compared to 1hr + going to another borough, so stop complaining.

Well said bro, i have ppl that comes on the bus and tell me thats why they rather pay $550 to avoid taking the over croweded trains where delays is always a factor, also they are places where the subways dont reach and also ADA compatible is also a factor.

Many Woodlawn residents use the BxM4 because the Bx34 doesn't even run on weekends. The Bx31 is a bus that NEVER follows it's schedule. Woodlawn has a nice night life, pubs, bars, restaurants... It would take an extremely long time to commute from Woodlawn to the city. Why don't you try doing this for yourself?

The BxM6 gets decent ridership, so does that matter? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Parkchester actually needs that BxM6, looking at a map doesn't tell everything. There's a reason it's there, so don't be like Dora the Explorer thinking the map tells all.

The BxM11 also gets good ridership, and you forget how these buses are not running on 7th Avenue, and how painfully long it takes for the 2 train to get from Manhattan to the Bronx.

YOU JUST MAD BECAUSE YOUR EXPRESS BUS WAS CUT.

Oh hey, why don't you try living in the Bronx and commuting to Manhattan. It takes me from 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 50 minutes to get to 34th and 8th, with NO subway delays. You're whining when your commute takes any longer than 25 minutes? Hahahahahahahaha!!!

I'll laugh again at your cut express bus. LOL!

Archived