Will The F and R train swap cars?

SubwayMustang

R46s on the R are dirty as hell whenever I ride them.They are getting too old and boring on the R as well.

I don't think so. Why?

A. Most people take the (N)(Q) instead of the (R)

B. Most people take the (D)(N) instead of the (R)

C. Most people take the (E)(F)(M) instead of the (R)

The (R) isn't really useful unless you need Downtown Manhattan serivce, but even then people would turn to the (1) or Lexington lines because the (R) is so god damn slow. If I'm not mistaken, the (F) got higher grades after they got R160s, and I think the (MTA) intends to keep it that way.

A occasional R160 runs on the (R) and a occasional R46 runs on the (F), but the (MTA) isn't going to completely swap cars because the (F) is used much more then the (R) IMHO. I've never rode a packed (R) before even during rush hours but I ride a packed (F) everyday.

To be blunt, if you have not been on a packed R train, you don't ride the R regularly. I can't remember the last time I was on an R that was not packed.

Other things related to this topic-

-Yes, R160s handle crowds better, which is part of why this switch would not happen.

-Particular lines are assigned fleets. The R is assigned 29 trains of Jamaica R46s. Since no other Jamaica line is assigned many R46s, The R46s there generally do not run anywhere else. The F is assigned 3 trains of R46s, 14 trains of R160B1s and 27 trains of R160As. Any of the R160s will often show up on the E, as Jamaica really does not consider the two R160 fleets as different types for assignment purposes.

- You could not do a train for train swap. The R needs 29 trains and the F needs 44.

I don't get the current assignment, there are 3 R46 on the (F) & 3 R160 on the (R). What is the point of having 3 sets switched?

I believe that is an old assignment for the R. The R has not had R160's assigned since June when Jamaica sent some R46's to Pitkin when it gave up the G and sent about 50 R160's to Coney island. I did see an R160 R on the holiday this past Monday but would be surprised to see any on a regular weekday. I am not a regular F rider but have yet to see any R46 F trains this summer.

Archived