Is overcrowding on Lexington Av and Canarsie lines overhyped?

JubaionBx12+SBS

A hot button complaint for subway commuters is overcrowding. The Lexington Av and Canarsie lines are the two worst lines in that regard. However, there is evidence to support the fact that the complaints are slightly exaggerated. There is NO way that all 30TPH running along the Lex Av express during rush hour are sardine packed in every car. In fact I have observed and rode on a couple of trains during rush hour on that line and the Canarsie line that have plenty of standing room. If it is the case that one can find room on the most crowded lines during rush hour , why do people complain so much about the crowds on the train?

This is not to argue the fact that most trains on the (4), (5) ,(6) and (L) lines are packed during rush hour. I'm just saying there shouldn't be such riff-raff about it unless all of them were.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lance25
Is overcrowding on Lexington Av and Canarsie lines overhyped?

mta600_2.jpg

Grand Central (Lexington Avenue)

03ltrain2-cityroom-blog480.jpg

Bushwick Av-Aberdeen St (Canarsie)

You tell me.

Of all the trains that are on the (4)(5)(6) and (L) during rush hour, how many of them do you think/youve observed werent completely full? And for how big of a stretch are they not completely full?

For the (4)(5) the crowds are biggest between Brooklyn Bridge and 86 Street. 1 out of every 5 trains in that stretch will be empty by Lex Av standards meaning just a few standees in the middle cars and possibly some seats in the front or back.

The (L) usually gets 2TPH where you have a good shot at a seat around Union Square(PM Brooklyn bound) and Lorimer Street (AM Manhattan bound).That's not bad being that most riders get on/off in the Willamsburg section.

The (6) is hit or miss because of the low headway. The UES crowds would put it above the (4)(5) but that crowd usually transfers to other lines at 59th or 51st resulting in what looks like bigger loads on the express. Ridership along Park Av south is also really high.

Guest lance25

Actually it is. Half the time, the trains are at or near capacity before even reaching Manhattan. During rush hours, it's a damn chore just to get into the trains sometimes.

Is EVERY single car of EVERY single train like that? NO!

Yeah, you're right; not every car is like that. Most are far worse. Look at the right side of the first picture, there's at least room for another 2 people in there and another 2 by the door. And in most cases it takes at least 2 attempts to close the doors because there's always people trying to squeeze in and make that particular train when there's one less than 2 minutes behind it.

ALL of them are like that. Ever since I've been taking the (4)(5) in the morning only ONCE was a train empty, and by that I mean not all of the spots for leaning against the opposite doors were taken. I consider myself lucky when I'm able to get a standing spot so that I can let people pass me without making contact or without having to exit the train to let them back on.

Even though after a (4) or (5) leaves another train is about 90 seconds behind it, all of them are crowded; no exceptions. There are always people who have to let a train go by because there's just simply not enough room.

Yeah, you're right; not every car is like that. Most are far worse. Look at the right side of the first picture, there's at least room for another 2 people in there and another 2 by the door. And in most cases it takes at least 2 attempts to close the doors because there's always people trying to squeeze in and make that particular train when there's one less than 2 minutes behind it.

ALL of them are like that. Ever since I've been taking the (4)(5) in the morning only ONCE was a train empty, and by that I mean not all of the spots for leaning against the opposite doors were taken. I consider myself lucky when I'm able to get a standing spot so that I can let people pass me without making contact or without having to exit the train to let them back on.

Even though after a (4) or (5) leaves another train is about 90 seconds behind it, all of them are crowded; no exceptions. There are always people who have to let a train go by because there's just simply not enough room.

There is room in the middle of the car usually if you get past all of the people who stand around the door. I never feel packed in on the (6) line and I ride it during rush hour most of the time.

The (6) carries 800,000 passengers a day so what the f**k are you talking about? I don't know what subway line you are riding on, but it most certainly isn't the Lexington Avenue Line, because when I ride the Lexington Avenue Line I feel like I am riding the metro of Tokyo. It's so bad that I even suggest that we get those people pushers that exist in Asian Subway systems.

I had to squeeze myself into a (4) train at Wall St. around 9pm this evening. Who the hell do you think you're kidding sir?

Speaking of which, I couldn't fit on either (4) or (5) train one summer Friday morning at 8am in Borough Hall in Brooklyn!

There is room in the middle of the car usually if you get past all of the people who stand around the door. I never feel packed in on the (6) line and I ride it during rush hour most of the time.

I've been riding the (4)(5)(6) every day since the June 2010 cuts and they're just horrible. In the middle there's people back to back, so basically 2 rows of standees in the aisle and it requires a lot of effort and pushing to exit if you're in there.

Don't be so foolish to say such things, the Lexington Avenue Line of all the times I've unfortunately happened to be in the area at rush hours is loaded to the maximum, even the cars that are more likely to be less loaded are packed, most of the time there's another train RIGHT behind the other held up by the signal, it's a hot mess down there.

I really can't agree with you there, buddy

Did any of you guys check to see if the other cars on your train were less crowded? That is also part of the argument here. The back cars usually have plenty of standing room unless it's the middle or rush hour.

The very last car can occasionally be a bit less crowded (as in you don't need to let any trains go by first), but I wouldn't count on it.

Also, I see you live in the Bronx, so if you don't mind what stop do you take the train down to in Manhattan?

There is NO way that all 30TPH running along the Lex Av express during rush hour are sardine packed in every car.

This is not to argue the fact that most trains on the (4), (5) ,(6) and (L) lines are packed during rush hour. I'm just saying there shouldn't be such riff-raff about it unless all of them were.

I don't think you ride the Lexington Av (4)(5)(6) or the (L) on a regular basis.

I can't speak for the (4)/(5)/(L), but I ride the (6) daily between 59th or Grand Central and 23rd St, both AM rush around 8am and PM rush 5/6PM. It is, at least in that area, hit and miss. In the morning, I almost always get on, albeit standing, not always overcrowded though. The few times I have to wait for a train to pass, only 1 or 2 more have to go by before I get on. When either that happens or I miss a train by a few seconds, usually there's another one less than a minute away. In the afternoon, it is pretty much the same thing.

Half the time though, I'll spot a (4) or (5) or several moving slower than us that looks packed.

The real fun is when there is some sort of service disruption. When that happens, fuhgeddaboutit.

Just my $2.25

The very last car can occasionally be a bit less crowded (as in you don't need to let any trains go by first), but I wouldn't count on it.

Also, I see you live in the Bronx, so if you don't mind what stop do you take the train down to in Manhattan?

I usually take the (6) to 23rd Street from Pelham Bay Park. I'm usually in Manahttan around 9 am on the subway. Some days I transfer to the (4)(5) at 125th and get off at Grand Central in an effort to save time. That effort doesn't always work out due to slow express service. When I transfer I am always on the express by 9.

I make my return trip on the (6) in between 4:30 and 5 pm. I usually get it from 51st Street transferring from the (E).

I have rode those lines on numerous other occasions to different points within Manhattan during all times of the day. That is my college commute I am giving you.

I usually take the (6) to 23rd Street from Pelham Bay Park. I'm usually in Manahttan around 9 am on the subway. Some days I transfer to the (4)(5) at 125th and get off at Grand Central in an effort to save time. That effort doesn't always work out due to slow express service. When I transfer I am always on the express by 9.

I make my return trip on the (6) in between 4:30 and 5 pm. I usually get it from 51st Street transferring from the (E).

I have rode those lines on numerous other occasions to different points within Manhattan during all times of the day. That is my college commute I am giving you.

Based on those times you are at the near end of the am rush and the near start of the pm rush. So those are not really the peak times yet. Granted it's been years ago I last rode those line regularly, but that doesn't mean the overcrowding is 'over hyped'. They are crowded, there is no question about it. At transfer points like 59th-lex, there will be a mass change of riders getting off and then on. that is the best time to be in the train to grab a seat.

In Manhattan by 9? That's not rush hour any more in terms of (6) train ridership. Most Wall Street bankers need to be in by 9, so the trains are much less crowded when you're traveling. 4:30-5 isn't rush hour either.

I'm usually in the subway by 7:30-8:00 when it's just ridiculous, but the time I go home is really sort of unpredictable. It could be anywhere from 4:00 to 8:00 really, and sometimes I'll end up down by Wall Street at the end of the day so I'll just take Mario's home. But sometimes when I take the train from Brooklyn Bridge the (6) can be SRO in the middle before the train even leaves the first stop.

Archived