Subway - What If?

VWM

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jova42R said:

I think that all of these are realistic!

@Theli11 good reroutes!

I mean.. a whirlpool, a damn flying train crashing into flushing. I don't know how Toxic Waste crashed into the Brighton Tracks, and missed the North Bound Express track (only). It's a lot, but then again this is all hypothetical, and a lot of this wouldn't happen. Though at this point in 2020 anything could happen.

3 hours ago, Jova42R said:

How could a derailing train knock out power to half of Midtown?

Something a bit more realistic:

• A garbage train on the Bay Ridge Branch derails and spews toxic garbage onto the platform at Avenue H (Q). This causes the closure of the station and all tracks except the NB express track (you can use that track)
  • A slow moving NJT train in sunnyside Yard collides with an overspeeding Amtrak train, and they both knock into the support structures of the (7). As a precaution, The (7) line is closed Hunters Point Av to QB Plaza.
  • A severe windstorm on the East River causes whirlpools between 50 St and 57 St. Because of this, the 53 St Tunnels are closed.
  • A track fire inside the Bowling Green loop causes all trains in the area to not be able to pass. This affects the (1)(4)(5)(R).

REROUTE AWAY!

Subway:

(1) : No trains between 14th St & South Ferry. Trains kip 18 23rd and 28th Sts in both direction 

(2)(3) : Trains run local south of Times Sq-42nd St  

(4) : No trains between Brooklyn Bridge & Borough Hall. Trains run in 2 sections. 

1. Between Woodlawn and Brooklyn Bridge via local.

2. Between Borough Hall and Utica/New Lots Avs

Layover: Trains in Brooklyn layover at Joraselem St Tunnel

Free Shuttle bus between Brooklyn Bridge and Borough Hall.

(5) : No trains between Grand Central and Bowling Green/Flatbush Av. Use Shuttle bus between Brooklyn Bridge and Borough Hall. 

(7) : No trains between Queensboro Plaza and 34th St-Hudson Yard. Shuttle bus provided between Queensboro Plaza and 34th St-Hudson Yard. 

(A): Some trains run local on 8th Av between 59th & Canal Sts.

(B) : Service suspended. 

(E) : Train sun via 63rd St  (F) between Roosevelt Av and West 4th St. (E) train will only stop at 36th St.

(F) : Train will stop at 36th St both direction. 

(M) : Train will run via 63rd St  (F) between 36th St, Queens and 47th-50th Sts.

(Q) :  No trains between Prospect Park and Coney Island Free shuttle bus provided.

LIRR: All service to from Hunters Point and Long Island City rush hour trips cancelled. Trains operate slow speed. LIRR Ticket will be cross honor at (7) train shuttle bus, Times Sq, 34th St-Penn Station, Woodside, Forest Hill, kew Garden, Jamaica.

NJT: Some trains from Sunnyside Yard will operate slow speed at Sunnyside Yard.

Amtrak: Some trains from Sunnyside Yard or thru service operate slow speed.

NYC Ferry: Astoria and Soundview Ferries will operate closer to Queens side to avoid whirlpool.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/drive?state={"ids"%3A["1bDB8rM2oBr4BFMb-7npxHqHtsvluzrMd"]%2C"action"%3A"open"%2C"userId"%3A"106523161310491323262"}&usp=sharing

Edited by FamousNYLover

21 hours ago, Theli11 said:

I can't tell if this is a joke or irony or both..

21 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

Garbage train derail might be realistic, but amtrak and NJT, LIRR hitting Flushing Line struction is not realistic.

Also (B)(Q) is not Bay Ridge Branch which he made mistake. (R) and late night (N) doesn't get affected since it's not in Bowling Green.

I think he really need to go to NYCSUbway.org and track maps before he do scenarios.

my point

On 5/15/2020 at 3:01 PM, FamousNYLover said:

(E) : Train sun via 63rd St  (F) between Roosevelt Av and West 4th St. (E) train will only stop at 36th St.

(F) : Train will stop at 36th St both direction. 

(M) : Train will run via 63rd St  (F) between 36th St, Queens and 47th-50th Sts.

This means that both (E)(F) trains are running on the local track, or are they just stopping at 36 St and going back on the express?? All while (R) trains are running through the station also? Meaning that you'd have all 4 trains stopping at 36 St, just to have the (E) and (F) go back on the express.. 

To be fair, I don't see how a Whirlpool would affect a tunnel, 

What if: 

It's about 7:13 am, and the following has happened: 

A downtown (4) train has derailed while switching to the local tracks affecting downtown local and express services on Lexington Av,

Multiple Track Fires have appeared in the areas of DeKalb Av (Downtown Brooklyn), Halsey St (Broadway), and right before Jay St - Metro Tech (Affects the (A) , (C) and (F) trains.)

A women in distress has fallen and sadly was hit by an incoming train at 63 - Rego Park, meaning no southbound local service. 

A wild (drunk) man with a sword, injures about 20 people by accident gets himself electrocuted at 168 St ( (1) platforms) forcing the power to be cut from both tracks, and the police to investigate the incident. [The man was wearing a full rubber outfit so he survives] 

Reroute the lines in appropriate fashion: 

6 hours ago, Theli11 said:

What if: 

It's about 7:13 am, and the following has happened: 

A downtown (4) train has derailed while switching to the local tracks affecting downtown local and express services on Lexington Av,

Multiple Track Fires have appeared in the areas of DeKalb Av (Downtown Brooklyn), Halsey St (Broadway), and right before Jay St - Metro Tech (Affects the (A) , (C) and (F) trains.)

A women in distress has fallen and sadly was hit by an incoming train at 63 - Rego Park, meaning no southbound local service. 

A wild (drunk) man with a sword, injures about 20 people by accident gets himself electrocuted at 168 St ( (1) platforms) forcing the power to be cut from both tracks, and the police to investigate the incident. [The man was wearing a full rubber outfit so he survives] 

Reroute the lines in appropriate fashion: 

Can you specific where (4) train derail?

10 hours ago, Theli11 said:

125 St, Southbound

A wild (drunk) man with a sword, injures about 20 people by accident gets himself electrocuted at 168 St (  platforms) forcing the power to be cut from both tracks, and the police to investigate the incident. [The man was wearing a full rubber outfit so he survives] 

IF the Dekalb Av fire affects the (B)(D)(N)(Q)(R), and the Halsey St fire affects the (J) in addition to the aforementioned wild cards, then I would reroute as follows:

(1) - No trains between 137 St-City College and Dyckman St - Use nearby stations on the (A)(C) lines. 

(3) - Some trains will run local from 96 St to Chambers St to provide local service for the (1) due to limited number of trains in service caused by limited terminal capacity at 137 St.

(4) - No trains between 125 St and 86 St - Trains run local from 86 St to Brooklyn Bridge in both directions; At 125 St, (4) trains will board on the uptown "express" track. - Some (4)  trains from Brooklyn will terminate at 59 St on the upper level due to capacity limitation at 86 St

(5) - No trains between East 180 St and 86 St - Trains run express from 86 St to Brooklyn Bridge - Some trains may get rerouted via 7 Av from Nevins St to 149 St-Grand Concourse to keep train flow moving between the Bronx and Manhattan and between Manhattan and Brooklyn and to mitigate issues due to limited capacity at 86 St to reverse trains.

(6) - No trains between 125 St and Brooklyn Bridge; Trains from Pelham Bay Park will run express from Hunts Point Av to 3 Av-138 St due to switch configuration limitations between 3 Av and 125 St on the Pelham Line. - (6) trains will board at 125 St on the uptown "local" track.

(J) - No trains between Broadway Junction and Myrtle Av; Trains rerouted via the (M) to/from Metropolitan Av - (Z) trains and (J) / (Z) skip stop service suspended

(A) - No trains between Chambers St and Utica Av - Trains run local between Utica Av and Euclid Av in both directions

(C) - No trains between World Trade Center and Euclid Av - Take the (A) local

(E) - Northbound trains run local from Queens Plaza to 71 Av. Southbound trains run local from Roosevelt Av to Queens Plaza

(F) - No trains between 2 Av and 4 Av-9 St; For service to Bergen St, Carroll St, and Smith-9 Its, use (G) train service (or reroute (F) via the (G) to Bedford-Nostrand Avs). If switch and signal capabilities permit, you can extend the (F) from 2 Av to Delancey St-Essex St to preserve the connection to the (J). Northbound (F) trains run local from 21 St-Queensbridge to 71 Av. Southbound trains run local from Roosevelt Av to 21 St-Queensbridge

(B) - Suspended

(D) - No trains between 34 St-Herald Sq and 36 St-4 Av

(M) - No trains between 71 Av and Queens Plaza; Use the (E)(F) trains instead - If the pocket track at Queens Plaza is unavailable, maybe reroute (M) to 96 St-2 Av.

(N) - No trains between Whitehall St and 59 St-4 Av; Trains run local from Canal St to 57 St-7 Av.

(Q) - No trains between Canal St and Prospect Park; Trains run local from Canal St to 57 St-7 Av.

(R) - No trains between Forest Hills-71 Av and 36 St-4 Av

(W) - Suspended

Edited by darkstar8983

On 5/16/2020 at 10:48 PM, Theli11 said:

This means that both (E)(F) trains are running on the local track, or are they just stopping at 36 St and going back on the express?? All while (R) trains are running through the station also? Meaning that you'd have all 4 trains stopping at 36 St, just to have the (E) and (F) go back on the express.. 

To be fair, I don't see how a Whirlpool would affect a tunnel, 

There's no physical way for the (E)(F) to stop ONLY at 36 St and switch back to the express track. Unless you'd have the (E)(F) skip stations to Roosevelt Av and then switch back to express (northbound) or run them express via the local track west of Roosevelt Av (but stop at 36 St), utilize the punchbox to switch the (E) (F) (M) to 63 St while keeping the (R) on the local track to Queens Plaza. Either way, a recipe for disaster.

On 5/17/2020 at 11:28 PM, darkstar8983 said:

There's no physical way for the (E)(F) to stop ONLY at 36 St and switch back to the express track. Unless you'd have the (E)(F) skip stations to Roosevelt Av and then switch back to express (northbound) or run them express via the local track west of Roosevelt Av (but stop at 36 St), utilize the punchbox to switch the (E) (F) (M) to 63 St while keeping the (R) on the local track to Queens Plaza. Either way, a recipe for disaster.

It wasn't my proposal, he specified 36 St rather than saying they're on the local tracks. the wording of it was weird for me.

What if:

This occurs on a normal weekday at 3:45AM and repairs are expected to spill into the AM Rush.

- There's a loss of power on the 6 Av Line (all four tracks) between 14 St and 23 St

Keep as many trains as possible in the entire B division considering the maximum capacity constraints. 

42 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

What if:

This occurs on a normal weekday at 3:45AM and repairs are expected to spill into the AM Rush.

- There's a loss of power on the 6 Av Line (all four tracks) between 14 St and 23 St

Keep as many trains as possible in the entire B division considering the maximum capacity constraints. 

(B) suspended

(C) via 8th Avenue express 

(D) via 8th local 

(F) via crosstown 

(M) via (J) to Broad

Let me add a few things here and there. 

It is a Saturday, 4:15 PM.

The 8th Avenue Line is shut down from south of 59th Street to West 4th Street in both directions for necessary track work. However, service is facing extensive delays in both directions because a person was hit by a train at 7th Avenue. In addition, there is signal work being done on the 60th Street tubes, so trains going from Broadway to Queens Boulevard are operating via 63rd Street instead for the weekend. 

Reroute all trains which will be affected by this disruption, using the current weekend service pattern. Complete suspensions of any line are not acceptable, but partial suspensions if needed can be done. However, if any partial suspensions are done, have a plan for what will happen for affected trains that are currently operating within that suspended section.  

It might help to first make necessary reroutes based on the signal work and track work that I mentioned, and then reroute trains based on incident at 7th Avenue. 

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The 8th Avenue Line is shut down from south of 59th Street to West 4th Street in both directions for necessary track work. However, service is facing extensive delays in both directions because a person was hit by a train at 7th Avenue. In addition, there is signal work being done on the 60th Street tubes, so trains going from Broadway to Queens Boulevard are operating via 63rd Street instead for the weekend. 

Reroute all trains which will be affected by this disruption, using the current weekend service pattern. Complete suspensions of any line are not acceptable, but partial suspensions if needed can be done. However, if any partial suspensions are done, have a plan for what will happen for affected trains that are currently operating within that suspended section.  

It might help to first make necessary reroutes based on the signal work and track work that I mentioned, and then reroute trains based on incident at 7th Avenue. 

Bare with me , I think I might’ve dragged it with this one but I really tried , here it goes 

Signal Work Reroutes

(A) : 207 - Far Rock via Central Park West Exp , then via the (D) between 59th St and West 4th St , making stops at Spring St

(C) : 168 - Euclid via Central Park West Lcl , then via the (D) between 59th St and West 4th St , making stops at 14th St and 23rd St

(E) : WTC - JC via the (F) between West 4th and Roosevelt Avenue

(R) : Forest Hills - Bay Ridge via (Q) to Lex - 63rd and then via the (F) to 36th St

* (F) trains remain current route , Coney Island - Jamaica 179th St

** (D) trains remain current route , Coney Island - Norwood 205th St

Incident at 7th Avenue :

(A) : Service Suspension between 59th St - Columbus Circle and 42nd St-Bryant Park

Two Sections  207 - 59 via Central Park Local / Bryant Park - Far Rock via (D) between 42nd St and West 4th St

Affected Trains Will Hold In Stations In Area of Suspension

(C) : Service Suspension between 168th St and Chambers St

* All northbound (C) trains past Chambers St will short-turn at 5 Av - 42nd St along with the (A) & (D) .

Afterwards , there will be no northbound service past Chambers St.

** All southbound (C) trains that haven’t reached 59th St will be taken out of service at 81st St or 59th St - Columbus Circle 

(D) : Service Suspension between 59th St - Columbus Circle and 42nd St - Bryant Park

Two Sections : 205 - 59 via Central Park Local / Bryant Park - Coney Island
Affected Trains Will Hold In Stations In Area of Suspension

* (E) trains will remain current route , WTC - JC via the (F) between West 4th and Roosevelt Avenue

** (F) trains will remain current route , Coney Island - Jamaica 179th St

@BM5 via Woodhaven how’d I do ?

Edited by Maxwell179

6 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

(A) : Trains run via  (D) line bween 59th  & West 4th Sts, making local stop on 6th Av

(C): Trains via via (D) (F) line between 59th & West 4th St, making local stops.

(D): Trains run with delay on 6th Av.

(F): Trains run with delay on 6th Av/63rd St.

(M): Delays on 6th Av/63rd St Tunnel.

(N): Trains run in 2 sections. (7) train will provide service between Queensboro Plaza and Times Sq.

Q32 and Q101 will cross honor at Queens Plaza, Queensboro Plaza, 60th St/2nd Av, 59th St/2nd Av, and 59th-60th St/Lex Av, 59th St/Madison Av.

1. Between Astoria-Ditmars Blvd and Queensboro Plaza

2. Between Times Sq-42nd St and 86th St-Gravesend

(Q): Trains will have delay at 63rd St tunnel.

(R): Trains run via (D)(F) line between 36th St, Queens and DeKalb Av.

Edited by FamousNYLover

17 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

(B) suspended

(C) via 8th Avenue express 

(D) via 8th local 

(F) via crosstown 

(M) via (J) to Broad

I would have done:

(B) runs only from Brighton Beach to DeKalb Av, then vía the (Q) to 96 St

(D) runs In 2 sections:

1. From 205 St to 59 St-Columbus Circle, then via the (A) local to West 4 St, then via the (F) to 2 Av. 

2. from Coney Island to Atlantic Av-Barclays Center, then via the (Q) to 96 St

(M) train runs only from Metropolitan Av to Essex St, then via the (J) to Chambers St

(C) trains run express between 59 St and Canal St ( (D) trains make local stops at 50 St and 23 St. No (E) trains to/from 179 St.

(F) trains run via 53 St / 8 Av from Roosevelt Av to West 4 St. Some (F) trains run via Crosstown to reduce congestion.

(N) trains run via the (R) line from Atlantic Av-Barclays Center to 34 St-Herald Sq

(W) suspended (or limited service supplemented by the (N) ).

16 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

Bare with me , I think I might’ve dragged it with this one but I really tried , here it goes 

*List of Reroutes*

@BM5 via Woodhaven how’d I do ?

It seems rather difficult to have (C) trains terminating at Chambers Street if (A) trains are running through as well. Also, having the (E) running via 6th Avenue under the signal and track work reroutes (pre-7th Avenue incident), where (A) and (C) trains utilize 6th Avenue as well will overwhelm the local track between Bryant Park and West 4th Street. Otherwise, nothing else looks physically impossible. 

11 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

(A) : Trains run via  (D) line bween 59th  & West 4th Sts, making local stop on 6th Av

(C): Trains via via (D) (F) line between 59th & West 4th St, making local stops.

(D): Trains run with delay on 6th Av.

(F): Trains run with delay on 6th Av/63rd St.

(M): Delays on 6th Av/63rd St Tunnel.

(N): Trains run in 2 sections. (7) train will provide service between Queensboro Plaza and Times Sq.

Q32 and Q101 will cross honor at Queens Plaza, Queensboro Plaza, 60th St/2nd Av, 59th St/2nd Av, and 59th-60th St/Lex Av, 59th St/Madison Av.

1. Between Astoria-Ditmars Blvd and Queensboro Plaza

2. Between Times Sq-42nd St and 86th St-Gravesend

(Q): Trains will have delay at 63rd St tunnel.

(R): Trains run via (D)(F) line between 36th St, Queens and DeKalb Av.

The (M) no longer runs to 96th Street on the weekends. Also, for a typical incident where there is someone hit by train, it typically results in a long delay, so holding (A)(C)(D)(F) trains is not an option. You'll still need to provide service in both directions somehow. Also, why are (R) being rerouted onto 6th Avenue, when they have access to the Broadway Line from Lex-63rd. You're just sending trains for no reason into the delays on 6th Avenue. (N) trains are not being affected by this, since only trains trying to access the QBL cannot access it from the 60th Street tubes.

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It seems rather difficult to have (C) trains terminating at Chambers Street if (A) trains are running through as well. Also, having the (E) running via 6th Avenue under the signal and track work reroutes (pre-7th Avenue incident), where (A) and (C) trains utilize 6th Avenue as well will overwhelm the local track between Bryant Park and West 4th Street. Otherwise, nothing else looks physically impossible. 

Would the (E) down Broadway to Whitehall St be better ?

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The (M) no longer runs to 96th Street on the weekends. Also, for a typical incident where there is someone hit by train, it typically results in a long delay, so holding (A)(C)(D)(F) trains is not an option. You'll still need to provide service in both directions somehow. Also, why are (R) being rerouted onto 6th Avenue, when they have access to the Broadway Line from Lex-63rd. You're just sending trains for no reason into the delays on 6th Avenue. (N) trains are not being affected by this, since only trains trying to access the QBL cannot access it from the 60th Street tubes.

He didn't say during Essential

Next;

It's a summer weekend in NYC. The following sections are currently closed due to track work related repairs;

53rd St Tunnel (between 5th Av-53rd St and Queens Plaza (E) )

Lex/63rd St to 57th St-7th Av (Q)

Whitehall St (R) Middle Track

(E) trains are running via the (F) in both directions in Manhattan to 2nd Avenue.

(Q) trains are running via 6th Avenue.

Suddenly, a signal issue shuts down the entire 8th Avenue line between 59th St & West 4th St, and a work train breaks down on the southbound 6th Avenue tracks of the Manhattan bridge. Reroute the (A)(C)(D)(E)(Q) and (F).