Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

It's just sucks the way they do things,you could of been a great T/O but was nervous on a dam signal exam and your terminated over 1 signal it just sucks because you left your job for this

Yeah, I hear ya, but that's just the nature of the beast. We all accepted that risk ("you're mission, should you choose to accept it"LOL), and it REALLY hurts when you put in all that time and preparation only to blow it on a one-shot test, but you CAN request list reinstatement after a year. But as far as leaving a good, steady job for this, it ends up being worth it when you pass. And you WILL pass, THAT'S how you increase your chance of success, by SEEING yourself nailing that thang.

Edited by Red5Xwing

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone... Can someone explain the signal exams a little more. is this a practical or written exam?

It's both last I knew.....the 100%-or-else written followed by a signals practical, where you and whoever else in your class that passed the written portion go with your TSS's to a train to do at least a call-on.....you take turns of course.

Edited by Red5Xwing

@red5xwing, thanks... I guess just gotta study the signals? Its seems like this is what everyone is talking about that seems to be so critical in school car.

Nope, not just signals....leave NO stone unturned! It's just that you get TWO chances to pass on everything else, the 1st and 2nd yard practicals (cuts/adds, preparing a train for service), the midterm, final, and road practical all give you two chances as far as I know.

However, the signals exam is the one that gets you terminated for ONE incorrect answer. Your TSS's will help you prepare, I had Richarson and Lovell...both EXCELLENT instructors!, It wasn't them, it was ME, I didn't get it done when I had the chance, and that happens to some of us. But for YOU, the advice would be to study them a minimum of 1hr a day, make index cards(paper AND app, I use StudyDroid), and of course classmates can quiz each other. The support system is there, and you can succeed where some of us didn't...You'll be alright, just go and get it!!

Anything specific i need to bring with me Friday for the drug test part, obviously besides Driver License?

thanks

Your letter and completed application that they sent you. I don't remember much else, but it should all be on the letter they send you. BTW, the drug test is good for only 30 days, and it's not uncommon to have to go back there to 180 a LEAST once more for another test, and yes you would have to bring back all the same items as before.

Your letter and completed application that they sent you. I don't remember much else, but it should all be on the letter they send you. BTW, the drug test is good for only 30 days, and it's not uncommon to have to go back there to 180 a LEAST once more for another test, and yes you would have to bring back all the same items as before.

Got it, thank you!

I hope so brother, been waiting for this letter to come for 6 years lol !

Boy do I know it!LOL!! But trust me, your journey to the cab(AND GREAT PAY) is actually starting now!, all the paperwork, visits to 180, heart bursting out of your chest EVERY time your phone rings is just part of it. When you get sworn in, and they give you your rulebook, you could actually start perusing the signals then to get sort of a head start.

Boy do I know it!LOL!! But trust me, your journey to the cab(AND GREAT PAY) is actually starting now!, all the paperwork, visits to 180, heart bursting out of your chest EVERY time your phone rings is just part of it. When you get sworn in, and they give you your rulebook, you could actually start perusing the signals then to get sort of a head start.

HAHA, funny everything you say is so true. It's actually a pretty big pay cut for me. But i'm looking at it as more of longevity and pension etc... for the future of my family!

HAHA, funny everything you say is so true. It's actually a pretty big pay cut for me. But i'm looking at it as more of longevity and pension etc... for the future of my family!

Pay CUT? LOL, well I guess I forgot that for some people it would be a cut in pay....but you're right....there is longevity and good pension with this, AND the ability to move up to TSS, Tower Operator, RCC, etc.

@ralphed007 thank you! Uhm.. I'm a sis not a bro but I get it lol this job is a "man's job" but I've seen plenty of female TO's. My list # is 426*. I'm dinner with the medical now waiting for final processing. Was told I should get a call by the end of this week. I'm just nervous because if I quit my job and make one mistake on the signal test I'm S.O.L and unemployed. Been waiting too long for this... But I'm staying positive and praying lol

@tprashad0719 thanks my brother I remember those days walking at 207 St Yard and learning about the R-42's and R-32's.... and @mikeems1 thank you too. I'm really exited and it's a great feeling to know that I finally got this letter. The drug test basically consist of getting there and hand in your completed application as well as them performing a urine check on you and remember to go back 10 years as far as your background. List all the jobs you've had in the past and addresses where you have lived etc...I won't be a whole day thing depending on how many people there. Bring your completed application, S.S card, ID , passport if you wish, birth certificate, just in case bring your H.S diploma too. Now when you're done with the drug test they will tell you to leave a number where you can be reached for them to call you in for a medical and final processing. That's the big day where you'll be in the for the most part of the day. It's recommended to bring in snacks as well. And yes, a TSS rode my train yesterday and he advised to study signals atleast 1 hour a day to make the test a little more easier to pass. Even though we all get nervous and things happen unfortunately but let's be positive and try to nail this guys. Good luck to all and let's keep in touch. Anybody else wanna share helpful thoughts we appreciate it very much.

Tss lovell is excellent, I don't have him unfortunately but I can tell you the training sucks ..if there is no train available to train on ..that's your day ..sit in class and waste the day..i believe the training can be better, some TSS are cocky because there already on the job and your just a list number to them..school car changed on Jan 2015 and it just gets harder due to new bullitens..i barely surviving this and so is my other class mates..one dropped out already so leaves us with 9...if you have a job as we speak take a leave don't quit ..you never know..there are days I wake up and say screw this ..but I just suck it up and fetch my two big bags and proceed on my 2.5 hours of subway traveling time ..because you will be in every yard within your division you choose..but I'll see how my first practical go and hopefully signal test the first one

Edited by tprashad0719

The problem with study groups is that everyone don't have the time,or some people rather study on there own..the training is not what a lot of people expected honestly. .a lot of people rather start off as a conductor and maybe just go t/o from there ..some people rather stay a conductor. .pay is not a huge difference as well ..

@Tprashad, I wish you the best whatever happens.

To everyone, it's a brutal training regimen, and some very smart, hardworking people have failed it at every imaginable stage. Signals test is particularly tricky because it demands perfection and people can freeze under the stress, and no second chance for signals test (either one).

Yes, if you have the option to take a leave from your current job than do that.