Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you do yard posting,do you pick the yard ?

You don't pick the yard, but they try and give you a yard close to home. That's a good thing, and can also be bad, because some of my classmates are stuck at places like Utica, which is just non-stop relaying, you won't learn much there.

I'm in YX now, and I do cuts, adds, washes, barn moves, put-ins/outs etc. When you start YX, you will really get to put your skills to use, and build the confidence that you need, especially if you work in an actual yard. I get off on weekends, but work the PM shift. I'm paired with senior guys who has their own job duties as well. It's not training, you have jobs to perform in YX, sometimes on your own. Your partner will help you out, if you ask for help. If there is anything you don't know, just ask. It won't be like school car where your classmates and instructors are laughing at your questions, or when your classmates just want to hurry and get the day over with. In YX you will have plenty of time to ask all the questions you need want to ask.

Here is a pic of the clip for you keys, you use individual key rings on each key, for when you need to remove a key from the clip.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=carabiner+clip&FORM=AWIR

Edited by ErikNYC

@mikeems1...hi everyone. I haven't logged in for a few days. I'm back now lol. I'm glad you signed up for the Conductor exam. An advice I can share is that the test in not hard. It's simply basic knowledge questions. They will ask about points of interest for example...where is the Empire state Building, or where is Little Italy in Manhattan. They will throw a little timetable questions like how long does it take for Train such and such to reach certain stops or how long is a round trip from terminal to terminal. They will put a diagram and just gotta pay attention to diagrams provided. Other than that, it's pretty easy. As for as top pay for T/O's, I know that this January, as part of our contract, we're due for the last 2 % raise. So top pay for Road T/O's will be $34.50 an hour. And C/R's top pay on the road will be $30 11 an hour. The job is very easy, just once in a few gotta deal with certain situations, sick passenger, delays and etc....but other than that it's a cool job.

Thanks erik,so basically everyone in your class was given a yard close to home ?

As close as possible depending where you live. We'll see where we are placed next week. I live in the Bronx, so I have many options and yards that are close to me, others aren't so lucky.

Hello all, I'm new to forums....but NOT new to reading these posts as I have "lurked" for a while. I can't really give any advice, as I was already in schoolcar but lost a "fight" with "Mr.Zignal Teste;-)". I CAN say, that patience is key to all those waiting to be called....I was bursting at the seams for "the call" too, but it WILL come!!

With all this increase in service they are talking about, does that mean and increase in need of T/O's? I see when letters go out seems as if its at like 200-300 at a time. Am i wrong in thinking this. I know i am very close to the last round of letters so just wondering.

Thanks guys!

tprashad0719, it does move fast. As soon as you know it, you'll be taking that final & road practical. Then its the road for you. As far as traveling & walking, get used to it. This is transit. Sometimes you even have to walk fast with all that equipment. Due to signal problems, my partner and i got to the terminal late, dispatcher got on the radio and told us to change ends cause he needed us out quick. Sometimes you don't get to rest. Just think, they could do to you what they did to me, as soon as i was off probation, they sent me to get cbtc and opto qualified. Rapid transit is an understatement.

@mikeems1...Hey my brother did you opened up your mailbox today? I opened mines up to FINALLY find the letter I was expecting for Drug test for Train Operator. My list number is few higher than yours so I'm pretty sure you got your letter today latest tomorrow. Keep me updated. I gotta go November 13th at 7:30am for Drug exam. @tprashad0719, right behind you my brother. Hope all is well with you.

Congratulations running on rails,tommorow I'm at 207st yard ,for those who failed the famous signal exam ..any idea which signals you had trouble with?

The one that nailed me was the signal aspect of a home interlocking signal. In my answer I literally "redefined" into something like a grade timer. I'm STILL kicking myself....grrr.

Dammit,is it one with yellow over yellow ? Diverging route?

Yep....THAT very one. And the thing is, I went over all of my answers at LEAST seven times and STILL didn't catch it. I'll tell you brutha', you do NOT want to experience what it's like to be called into the Superintendent's office and told which one nailed you and that you're basically fired. Please, PLEASE keep studying those signals and know them COLD, HOT, WARM, whichever....make it your BUSINESS to master them!