What would you change in a Bus TYPE?

KNIGHTRIDER3:16

I want maximum room for my riders/customers- I'd rule out low floors

I second that...ditch the low floors, ditch the hybrid drive systems, bring back the V-Drive transmission, bring back the alcoas = happy BLITZ

Make HF buses dominate the transit industry again. This goes for RTS, Orions, New Flyer, NABI etc. This includes local service transit serving purposes. Have Allison more more engines. As for the RTS bring back the V Drive configuration. Have nothing but Diesel & CNG type buses produced while Hybrids would not exist until the 2020's. One more thing, have less boxy buses & have diverse bus design in the bus industry as well.

High floor buses for local/limited bus routes might be alright, but high floors should not be on SBS routes at all. This would slow SBS buses down too much, and the biggest difference between SBS and local/limited buses is that many of the local/limited bus routes in the system are so messed up that there is not much that can be done to further mess them up.

That being said, I am not crazy about ordering more high floors and putting them on local/limited routes either, because of the accursed wheelchair lift which takes about a minute longer per wheelchair/walker to operate than the ramp does on the low-floors. This results in disgusting travel times influenced by ridiculous variables on routes like the Bx1/2 aka Access-A-Ride on crack.

Also many people with walkers do not even ask for the ramp on low floors for obvious reasons, while on high floors they may need the lift.

High floor buses for local/limited bus routes might be alright, but high floors should not be on SBS routes at all. This would slow SBS buses down too much, and the biggest difference between SBS and local/limited buses is that many of the local/limited bus routes in the system are so messed up that there is not much that can be done to further mess them up.

That being said, I am not crazy about ordering more high floors and putting them on local/limited routes either, because of the accursed wheelchair lift which takes about a minute longer per wheelchair/walker to operate than the ramp does on the low-floors. This results in disgusting travel times influenced by ridiculous variables on routes like the Bx1/2 aka Access-A-Ride on crack.

Also many people with walkers do not even ask for the ramp on low floors for obvious reasons, while on high floors they may need the lift.

Thanks liberty for a very good post

How about NO HIGH FLOORS for wheelchair heavy routes period they are too slow the low floors keep rtes on schedule by allowing em to just roll on in. like that. LETS NOT order more high floors period. HIGH floor + wheelchair= VERY LATE BUS!!!!!! think ppl all new buses I am sorry to say it need to be low floor period.

Thanks liberty for a very good post

How about NO HIGH FLOORS for wheelchair heavy routes period they are too slow the low floors keep rtes on schedule by allowing em to just roll on in. like that. LETS NOT order more high floors period. HIGH floor + wheelchair= VERY LATE BUS!!!!!! think ppl all new buses I am sorry to say it need to be low floor period.

It's only slow if you suck at operating a wheelchair lift, the ramp still takes some time to unfold and fold back up. You still have to buckle in and flip the seat up for a wheelchair.

Low floors suck on routes that get packed very easily, there's no room in the high floor section to stand and the low floor section is too cramped after there's five standees, those front wheel wells taking up the space of six seats really kills it.

Good point...how about an artic with a low floor section up until the second door only, than high floor with window facing seats the rest of the way. This way, people will be encouraged to move to the high floor section because its not as cramped. All of the old and useless/wheelchair benches will be in the front low floor section. This way grandma won't be tempted block up 3 seats for tired able bodied people with her million bags.

Convert the Orion 7s to HIGH FLOOR...trust me I've heard that it can be done but the MTA doesn't want to invest paying Orion for that really high bill of doing such a task.

How is that going to work when Daimler is not even doing that for anyone else....the MTA would need Daimler to do the conversion and since they dont make any high floors anymore....that wont work....plus there are a lot of complications if a conversion of that magnitude would take place.

Sorry I disagree with that.....SBS was better with the HF and it didn't slow down the Bx12 when they had them!

I second that...ditch the low floors, ditch the hybrid drive systems, bring back the V-Drive transmission, bring back the alcoas = happy BLITZ

The only part I would stay FAR away from is a V-Drive. Those things are much harder to service than the T's. And takes longer too. The whole engine cradle has to be removed to perform some maintenance. Mechanics absolutely love working on the Millennium RTS'.

Convert the Orion 7s to HIGH FLOOR...trust me I've heard that it can be done but the MTA doesn't want to invest paying Orion for that really high bill of doing such a task.

That's not even structurally possible. Not only that, if MTA wanted more HF's they would have ordered more Orion V's. Don't know where you heard that, but it's 200% false.

How is that going to work when Daimler is not even doing that for anyone else....the MTA would need Daimler to do the conversion and since they dont make any high floors anymore....that wont work....plus there are a lot of complications if a conversion of that magnitude would take place.

The Orion VIII and IX are priority right now. They wouldn't even entertain such a thing.

Sorry I disagree with that.....SBS was better with the HF and it didn't slow down the Bx12 when they had them!

I'm on the fence about that one.... I don't really see much of a difference unless you get into the technical aspects of it. LF's are more convenient for the elderly and disabled..... Etc...

The Orion VIII and IX are priority right now. They wouldn't even entertain such a thing.

I'm on the fence about that one.... I don't really see much of a difference unless you get into the technical aspects of it. LF's are more convenient for the elderly and disabled..... Etc...

#1. Thats what I thought.

#2. I'm somewhat in favor of LFs being on the SBS, could you imagine what would happen if we had HFs on the M15 SBS?! Them folks in the city (tourists mostly) barely know how to enter/exit properly, it would be worse with D60HFs on it!

The 3 door boarding on the low floor articulateds makes boarding processes much faster. One of the major cons about this, however, is the very tight standing space. If that can be fixed, then I'm all for the idea of LFs on our SBS.

The only part I would stay FAR away from is a V-Drive.

I've heard countless stories from B/Os about how there were RTSs that would need engine servicing and it would take long to repair due to the V-Drive setup.....while I somewhat do agree with this.....you know how I love my Allison VR-731s!!!

#1. Thats what I thought.

#2. I'm somewhat in favor of LFs being on the SBS, could you imagine what would happen if we had HFs on the M15 SBS?! Them folks in the city (tourists mostly) barely know how to enter/exit properly, it would be worse with D60HFs on it!

The 3 door boarding on the low floor articulateds makes boarding processes much faster. One of the major cons about this, however, is the very tight standing space. If that can be fixed, then I'm all for the idea of LFs on our SBS.

I've heard countless stories from B/Os about how there were RTSs that would need engine servicing and it would take long to repair due to the V-Drive setup.....while I somewhat do agree with this.....you know how I love my Allison VR-731s!!!

stories from B/O's about bus repair don't really count. If anything, working to V-Drive configured buses is a bit easier than their T-Drive counter parts because of component placing. Everything that that you would normally have to reach into the engine compartment to service is either on the side by the transmission or right under the rear bench seat. I watched a transmission get taken down in 3 hours 2 weeks ago. the guys that did it slept/walked around the depot aimlessly for the rest of the day. as long as you know what you are doing, there are no problems.

stories from B/O's about bus repair don't really count. If anything, working to V-Drive configured buses is a bit easier than their T-Drive counter parts because of component placing. Everything that that you would normally have to reach into the engine compartment to service is either on the side by the transmission or right under the rear bench seat. I watched a transmission get taken down in 3 hours 2 weeks ago. the guys that did it slept/walked around the depot aimlessly for the rest of the day. as long as you know what you are doing, there are no problems.

That holds true for the RTS, but some of the other older V's aren't as easy to maintain as the RTS, and it's cradle still has to be removed to perform some maintenance tasks. I've dropped a few of those bad boys in my day.

In regards to the high floor conversion thing...from what I was told there's a battery as thin as a pencil that can be placed on the low-floor part of the bus instead of the lead-acid/lithium-ion batteries on top of the bus, which as a result floorboards would have to be placed to make the floor as high as the rear section.

Like I said that would have to be done by the vendor and not the MTA. Maybe I went a little off the wall saying it was possible, but when I thought about it and discussed it with a B/O out of Castleton he explained to me the situation with the thin battery and it seemed plausible to me.

Go back to producing the Orion V as the flagship model; that bus made a great workhorse and I don't really know if the VII is really going to be able to live up to that level. Restyle the front based on the NG, and offer it in a 45' length in addition to the current 40' standard length. This is what it would look like:

MTAHEVExterior.jpg

Interior-Backward.jpg

Interior-Front-Stop.jpg

they board wheelchair ppl much faster than high floors

That's about all they have going for them. There's less seating space because of the front wheel wells and less space in general because of the split-floor layout, which means that a 40' low floor bus actually has less de facto capacity than the high floor it replaces. I have no problem with having some of them in the fleet and I have no problem using them on low- to mid-ridership routes that tend to serve predominantly elderly areas. However, lines that tend to get crushloaded when run with high floors (Bx3, Bx28, Q44) shouldn't be run with low floors unless you're willing to cut the headways by something like 20%.

Archived