MTA to Lay off 981 Long Island Bus Employees

East New York

LI-BUS.jpg

The Metropolitan Transit Authority has notified the New York State Labor Department that it plans to lay off 981 employees by the end of the year and shutter its Long Island Bus headquarters in Garden City.

The layoff notification, issued Tuesday, precedes the impending shut down of the MTA’s Long Island Bus operation. Earlier this year, Nassau County struck a deal with Veolia Transportation to privatize countywide bus service, in a move the Mangano administration says will save Nassau millions of dollars.

“Nassau’s County’s transition from the MTA to a private operator will save taxpayers over $26 million while restoring significant route cuts planned by the MTA,” said Katie Grilli-Robles, a spokeswoman for County Executive Ed Mangano. “The critics are clearly defenders of the status quo and are not concerned about Nassau taxpayers.”

But many are unhappy with the move, especially those 981 employees directly affected by the layoffs, which includes members of the Transport Workers Union Local 252.

Angry Long Island Bus employees and riders spoke out at Friday’s meeting of the Nassau County Legislature, decrying the privatization deal. The meeting got so raucous Legis. Peter Schmitt reportedly walked out along with the rest of the Republican majority.

Jamie Horwitz, a spokesman for the 200,000-plus member Transport Workers Union, said it wasn’t so much the deal with Veolia the union opposed, but the lack of details that have come forth from the county so far.

“[The Mangano administration] promised all of the details would be released in August; it’s now November,” Horwitz said. “It’s really getting scary at this point, because there’s no actual deal with Veolia yet and no details of what would be in that deal.”

Read the complete story here.

This is so disturbing and selfish!

That they are allowing Ed Mangano to do this. It's hard out here already and now these good bus drivers are on the verge to not having a job. What kind of world do we live in?

A world where if your company no longer exists, you job therefor no longer exists. This part was kinda a given from the moment this process started.

Correct. The senior guys don't have as much to worry about as the ones on the lower end of the seniority list.

Only if the people of Nassau pay less in taxes then it'll be a win-win for them

somehow that probably wont happen, unless they do it like they did the stadium, and put it up to a vote, the people can vote for more bus service but higher taxes to pay for it or no tax increases and service cuts.

A world where if your company no longer exists, you job therefor no longer exists. This part was kinda a given from the moment this process started.

I understand that, but Ed Mangano is going to do whatever he wants he doesn't care about bus drivers or bus riders its sad though.

yea but thats nothing new, if you work for a business and the business goes out of business, then its obvious you are going to be out of a job. I wonder if a lot of these drivers applied for jobs with Veolia

I understand that, but Ed Mangano is going to do whatever he wants he doesn't care about bus drivers or bus riders its sad though.

dude do you really think mangando cares about 10% of the population get real the service route layout is too broken for anyone in nassau to even care!!! The bus riders are too few in number 100,000 in a county of 1.3 million is PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The lines need to be advertized as guaranteed links to LIRR and reroute and eliminate dead segments of several weak lines. If they do that WATCH RIDERSHIP INCREASE!!!!!!!!!!!

yea but thats nothing new, if you work for a business and the business goes out of business, then its obvious you are going to be out of a job. I wonder if a lot of these drivers applied for jobs with Veolia

you again love to point out the obvious hun. Obviously they applied for veolia. Heck if mangando is actually right about preventing the service cuts then the micacle will begin and we all will dance. I am taking a wait and see approach. Again I DARE YOU TO TRY and use LIB for regular errands within nassau you will learn how hard that is to do. I got lucky as a shopper the buses were coming 2 mins after I was done with the shops literally they were quite convenient for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I absolutely agree with you with that logic. But some of the LIB lines are way over crowded, poorly managed and buses are not well maintained. I've taken it many times where sometime it takes me 30 min & other times it takes me over 2.5 hrs to get to the same destination. There will be a serious casualty if those buses are cut any further.

How come L.I.B Bus ops cant come to our depots instead?? This ain't cool but I guess it was coming like what KR said.

They were all offered jobs with Veolia. Some of the mechanics however are supposed to be laid off. This leads me to believe Veolia may contract maintenance through the MTA. This would also mean MTA could hire more mechanics.

your profile says Manhasset, so did you take into account Northern Blvd traffic? I went to NYIT for two semesters and I know the traffic problems Northern Blvd and Route 107 can have up there. Northern Blvd in the afternoon can be a nightmare to get anywhere.

of course a lot of the delays has to do with traffic. There is routine rush hour traffic or mother of nature/accident traffic. If its routine traffic, I am sure they have it all accounted for in their scheduling.

When a bus is suppose to come every 15 min during rush hour & nothing comes for 45 min or an hour (it happens too often), something is really amiss. Then 3-4 LIB all come at once.

• 2 weeks later...
If Mangano wants to improve service, why is he letting the (MTA) lay off almost 1,000 workers?

Ive worked 2 days over at LIB now.....seems to me nobody really cares....people are just getting as much over time as they can....and want to jump ship....

The buses always run when you don't need them...

so true so true especially in LI. However not the case with my lucky ass.

your profile says Manhasset, so did you take into account Northern Blvd traffic? I went to NYIT for two semesters and I know the traffic problems Northern Blvd and Route 107 can have up there. Northern Blvd in the afternoon can be a nightmare to get anywhere.

where do those ppl on 107 come from foxie I am a bit curious.

If Mangano wants to improve service, why is he letting the (MTA) lay off almost 1,000 workers?

Those people have to be laid off by law. They work for MTA, which will no longer be providing the service.

Ive worked 2 days over at LIB now.....seems to me nobody really cares....people are just getting as much over time as they can....and want to jump ship....

That's definitely the consensus right now. Many of their employees do not want to work for Veolia, and want to stay with MTA. I expect a lot of the LIB guys to apply with the MTA. Those who haven't already.

Archived