M15 SBS driver refused to let me board in front

mdude04

The thing is, they are not required to pick up passengers after they leave the stop and hit a red light. Once they are out of the stop/off of the curb of said stop, they don't have to pick anyone up. Some do it for the sake of courtesy, others don't. That is how it mostly is for 99.9% of the bus routes here in the city (the .1% being the Bx24). It's nothing new at all.

Exactly! I rode with ops several times and they tell me straight up, once the doors are closed, it's a wrap because if that passenger was to be injured away from the curb, worse yet out of the stop, it'll be 100% driver's fault.

Gorgor, get over yourself already.

The thing is, they are not required to pick up passengers after they leave the stop and hit a red light. Once they are out of the stop/off of the curb of said stop, they don't have to pick anyone up. Some do it for the sake of courtesy, others don't. That is how it mostly is for 99.9% of the bus routes here in the city (the .1% being the Bx24). It's nothing new at all.

The stop in question, 44th and 1st, is right before the light. And by right before the light, I mean the bus is physically unable to pull away from the curb or even move from the stop without going into the crosswalk. Therefore the bus never left the bus stop at all.

Perhaps a picture from Google Street View will help.

That stop's a bit strange because the fare machines are all the way on 43rd Street, and buses will sometimes stop by the fare machines right after the light at 43rd, and other times stop at the end of the block by 44th, like with what happened to me.

The only time I made a Complaint was because my bus, the Q38 never came and I was waiting 50 minutes that I was waiting. Then the bus operator says the same excuse, there's a traffic Jam on the LIE, which the Q38 uses one block of the frontage Road on its entire route, which is 45-50 minutes long, and the Frontage Road never is crammed because the Q88 uses the LIE frontage Road and it's never late when it it arrives at the QCM. 57 Avenue gets a lot of cars down there, but at 12 in the afternoon… NO. I've rode M15 SBS before but it's not bad. People would complain that the bus left the stop without them, it's their fault

That was probably the reason he told you to board from the back to begin with. If the front end was crowded, that is most likely the reason why(because of course, you dont want to force yourself to the rear from the front if it was crowded).

Exactly! I rode with ops several times and they tell me straight up, once the doors are closed, it's a wrap because if that passenger was to be injured away from the curb, worse yet out of the stop, it'll be 100% driver's fault.

Gorgor, get over yourself already.

It's amazing to me how these great Members aren't even Bus ops and they have and know the rules /Regulations of a Operator.....Excellent excellent guys and keep up the good work with the field.....NUFF SAID

The only time I made a Complaint was because my bus, the Q38 never came and I was waiting 50 minutes that I was waiting. Then the bus operator says the same excuse, there's a traffic Jam on the LIE, which the Q38 uses one block of the frontage Road on its entire route, which is 45-50 minutes long, and the Frontage Road never is crammed because the Q88 uses the LIE frontage Road and it's never late when it it arrives at the QCM. 57 Avenue gets a lot of cars down there, but at 12 in the afternoon… NO. I've rode M15 SBS before but it's not bad. People would complain that the bus left the stop without them, it's their fault

Sorry but the Q88 and the Q38 are completely different routes that go NEAR and around the Perimeter of Queens CTR Mall.

I do the QM10 and guess what,I get traffic on 108st which is PART of the 38 route and 57ave which is also hit by traffic .Q38 and the Q88 hit traffic period so lets not forget what time of year it is either cuz I KNOW the area in Question THUS,The op was probably telling you the truth.

That was probably the reason he told you to board from the back to begin with. If the front end was crowded, that is most likely the reason why(because of course, you dont want to force yourself to the rear from the front if it was crowded).

So the solution is for me to board through the back and force my way to the front so I can get my transfer?????

No the solution would be to wait till you can get to the front when it's safe for you to do so ...

I'm sorry but that makes absolutely no sense. I'm pretty sure walking onto the front of the bus is pretty safe since that is the only way to enter for 98% of NYC buses. When is it SAFER to walk down the entire length of an artic while it's en route, after picking up more pax, making my way through a crowd of people, than it is to step right on the bus and get the transfer then and there?

Also, the MTA rules (which you seem to be quite fond of) clearly state if you paid cash and need a transfer, you enter through the front

well wasn't it packed solid in the front??So yeah I do make sense .Middle door would be a start

It was packed but not impassable. And I fail to see how going through the back or middle door, and then still having to make my way through that exact same crowd because I would still need to get to the front for my transfer, makes any more sense.

If I enter through the front, I need to get through that crowd to go back and get a seat.

If I enter through a rear door, I need to get through that crowd to get to the front for my transfer. Then I would need to get through the crowd *again* after getting my transfer. So going through a rear door makes much less sense.

Those people don't disappear if I don't enter through the front door, and neither does my need for a transfer.

The stop in question, 44th and 1st, is right before the light. And by right before the light, I mean the bus is physically unable to pull away from the curb or even move from the stop without going into the crosswalk. Therefore the bus never left the bus stop at all.

Perhaps a picture from Google Street View will help.

That stop's a bit strange because the fare machines are all the way on 43rd Street, and buses will sometimes stop by the fare machines right after the light at 43rd, and other times stop at the end of the block by 44th, like with what happened to me.

Well, again, some do it for the sake of courtesy, others don't. I've been in that situation at this stop before and I've been picked up a few times and other times they refused. Some of the SBS stops in general along the line are kinda on the funny side.

Look, the operator probably had a good reason to ask you to go through the back, I doubt it was just random. Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean there wasn't a wheelchair, a person in crutches, etc. He probably asked you to go through the back to speed up the boarding, that way you wouldn't be waiting for the person to get off. In any case, the SBS has three door buses, so it's only about an extra 15 feet to walk through the next door and then walk up to the front for a transfer. Obviously, if he went and got you, he saw you and knew you needed a transfer.

This nonsense about filing a complaint is just that: nonsense. It's just not that big a deal. You could easily have just gotten on through the second door and then walked over to get the transfer, and he would have given it to you, as he eventually did.

If the situation happens again, which chances are it won't, just go through the middle door and ask for the transfer. I really doubt the b/o was just trying to spite you -- it was probably just a wheelchair getting off. Those rules, by the way, are probably for two-door buses, so they don't matter as much on the three-door LFSA. In any case, you got your transfer, and that's the end of it.

I don't doubt there was a good reason for it, but what I don't get is why some people here think I was ridiculous for just doing what the official MTA rules state and being confused when those rules were suddenly changed. The rule, btw, has been part of the MTA's SBS literature since the introduction of the Bx12SBS and continues to be listed as the rule for M15SBS and M34SBS. It doesn't make sense to board any other way, because you could just buy one fare and let other people take the receipt to the front of the bus and get free transfers.

He gave you a transfer after the fact, so it seems like he was apologetic. Maybe he was stressed, or confused?

Yeah, I did not expect that. He was very angry when he shouted at me to go to the back and must have realized I was flustered. I definitely appreciated that, but a bit more communication up front would have helped.

So the solution is for me to board through the back and force my way to the front so I can get my transfer?????

See below.

I'm sorry but that makes absolutely no sense. I'm pretty sure walking onto the front of the bus is pretty safe since that is the only way to enter for 98% of NYC buses. When is it SAFER to walk down the entire length of an artic while it's en route, after picking up more pax, making my way through a crowd of people, than it is to step right on the bus and get the transfer then and there?

Also, the MTA rules (which you seem to be quite fond of) clearly state if you paid cash and need a transfer, you enter through the front

Which is correct, however, bus operators dont want the front section to be all that blocked up. It's a notorious problem that when the front section of the bus is packed and a wheelchair passenger is about to come on, people can barely move, thus delaying the bus.

Also, it doesnt really matter if what KR said made sense or not because whether it makes sense to you or not, some people actually do wait till the bus is clear enough or when they get to a stop that a lot of people get out of to get the transfer from the B/O and I've witnessed this myself. Hell, even yours truly has done it quite a few times before I exited the bus (which is what a majority of folks who pay with coins do in the first place...)

See below.

Which is correct, however, bus operators dont want the front section to be all that blocked up. It's a notorious problem that when the front section of the bus is packed and a wheelchair passenger is about to come on, people can barely move, thus delaying the bus.

Also, it doesnt really matter if what KR said made sense or not because whether it makes sense to you or not, some people actually do wait till the bus is clear enough or when they get to a stop that a lot of people get out of to get the transfer from the B/O and I've witnessed this myself. Hell, even yours truly has done it quite a few times before I exited the bus (which is what a majority of folks who pay with coins do in the first place...)

This is what I was getting at but put better thanks CS

Okay, so knowing that is a common practice definitely changes things. I always thought that not getting your transfer at the time of boarding was essentially forfeiting your right to a transfer. But that's just silly me, going by the MTA's official policies.

SBS: "Please board at the front of the bus if you need a transfer"

Non-SBS: "Ask the bus driver for a transfer when you pay your fare"

How silly and uninformed I am by following the rules

This is what I was getting at but put better thanks CS

And all I was getting at is that I was the one following the rules and procedures. It is the b/o who changed the rules on me with no explanation. What I didn't get was your reaction as though I was somehow in the wrong and the b/o creating a new rule shouldn't have confused me in the slightest.

Okay, so knowing that is a common practice definitely changes things. I always thought that not getting your transfer at the time of boarding was essentially forfeiting your right to a transfer. But that's just silly me, going by the MTA's official policies.

SBS: "Please board at the front of the bus if you need a transfer"

Non-SBS: "Ask the bus driver for a transfer when you pay your fare"

How silly and uninformed I am by following the rules

You are rather silly to actually believe that people actually follows SBS rules, well knowing that some people till this very day dont even know how to enter/exit or pay the fare or even get a transfer!

And I never said that it was a common practice. I said that people do it. Just because you entered the bus through the rear doesnt forfeit your right for a transfer while on the M15 SBS. Just show him/her the receipt from the coin machine and there you go. Thinking that way kinda makes you look stupid. Just sayin'

It could be possible B/O might having checking other parts of bus to see if doors closed.

When I ride bus with my Manhattanville B/O friend, sometimes doors rear doors get stuck and sometimes he checks the door.

Most Chinese people who rides M15 SBS and along other seniors doesn't know, sometimes when they need transfer, they use any doors and come up to get a transfer.

Thinking that way kinda makes you look stupid. Just sayin'

Now that's just uncalled for. You are stupid for going into threads and criticizing people when they don't follow the rules, and then calling me stupid because I do follow the rules. How am I to know which rules are arbitrary? You know, the SBS rules say "You pay your fare at the stop at either the MetroCard Fare Collector or Coin Fare Collector machine before boarding." I bet that means I can't pay after I board. Oh wait; I'm stupid for assuming that. I'm sure that's just an arbitrary thing and there's no reason the MTA wrote that in its list of rules. The subway rules state "Swipe your MetroCard through the slot in the top of the turnstile," but I'm sure I can just wait for someone to open the emergency exit door and go through there. It would be stupid to think I have to enter the subway the way the MTA tells me to. The MTA says I cannot stretch my legs out on a subway or bus, but only stupid people would think that means I'm not allowed to stretch my legs out on a subway or bus.

I'm sorry, but saying it's stupid to be informed of the proper procedure and abide by that procedure is among the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen.

Also, I never said I expected riders to know the SBS rules, but I did assume the bus operators do! Thank you for making me realize I was wrong about that.

Don't accuse others of calling you stupid after you get told. *coughgorgorcough*

Oh for the love of Pete. How on earth am I the one who "got told"? I did exactly what the official MTA rules say to do. Where in the world does everyone get off saying I did something wrong? These bus operators in this forum are the ones who were clueless about the rule.

When I point that out, and the best response is "well you're stupid for thinking the rules mean anything," then somehow I'm the one who got owned? Good lord.

Also, I'm not "accusing"; I'm quoting. Cait Sith is the one who used the word "stupid"

Now that's just uncalled for. You are stupid for going into threads and criticizing people when they don't follow the rules, and then calling me stupid because I do follow the rules. How am I to know which rules are arbitrary? You know, the SBS rules say "You pay your fare at the stop at either the MetroCard Fare Collector or Coin Fare Collector machine before boarding." I bet that means I can't pay after I board. Oh wait; I'm stupid for assuming that. I'm sure that's just an arbitrary thing and there's no reason the MTA wrote that in its list of rules. The subway rules state "Swipe your MetroCard through the slot in the top of the turnstile," but I'm sure I can just wait for someone to open the emergency exit door and go through there. It would be stupid to think I have to enter the subway the way the MTA tells me to.

I'm sorry, but saying it's stupid to be informed of the proper procedure and abide by that procedure is among the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen.

Also, I never said I expected riders to know the SBS rules, but I did assume the bus operators do! Thank you for making me realize I was wrong about that..

It's only uncalled for if your feelings were hurt or if you were offended and if you were, that's not my problem if you can't take sarcasm. And reading comprehension must suck for you.

#1. This has nothing to do with the subway. And going through the subway is much simpler than people comprehending Select Bus Service because people automatically assume that its the same as every other bus line in the system when its not, which makes the concept difficult for some. So trying to put the subway into a discussion about how to pay/board/get a transfer on the SBS just makes you and your argument a lot more stupid.

#2. Again, I didn't say that NO ONE follows the MTA's rules for +SBS+, I said that a majority of folks do things differently and there are some that don't follow the rules. I never said it was a common practice. You were just putting words in my mouth, therefore making you and your argument look a lot more stupid

#3.

I'm sorry, but can you point out where I said that? Because I can from my last post to you that I clearly did not say that. This is what was said

Just because you entered the bus through the rear doesnt forfeit your right for a transfer while on the M15 SBS. Just show him/her the receipt from the coin machine and there you go. Thinking that way kinda makes you look stupid. Just sayin'

Take a minute or two to comprehend what was said there. The context of the post was about how you can get your transfer, not about the procedure. You can always ask the bus operator for a transfer at anytime during the ride. People who understand the system well enough knows that. What you thought of my post was completely different from what was said.

As for this

"You pay your fare at the stop at either the MetroCard Fare Collector or Coin Fare Collector machine before boarding." I bet that means I can't pay after I board. Oh wait; I'm stupid for assuming that.

I think this is somewhat self explanatory....

fuckthat.jpg

Archived