New York City Bus Riddles

BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody could answer mine.

I am the QM11 an express route from Wall Street to Queens. I'm nearly identical to my cousins that also run from Wall St to Queens but they've all been renumbered since 2010. I am the only Queens-Wall Street express route that still has my original number

QM24.

QM24.

That wasn't a riddle. He was just explaining his previous riddle. 

Anyways, the current riddle is: 

There once were two of us a long time ago. He ran fairly quick. I ran kinda slow.

I ran north and south; he ran east and west, yet no one could figure who ran the best.

And although we both had exactly the same name, *we never did meet in the scheme of thangs.

He served the best clientele Manhattan could offer, running on the classiest of blocks to fill his coffers.

He ran aside a park and sorta close to museums, on full display so all could see him.

I kissed Miss 10 at the Times Sq. 'X' but that was the fullest extent of our unnatural sex.

Had two running mates to help pass the time but both went their way and I went mine.

From the bottom of Central to the hem of Liberty, I'd like to think it she who set me free.

Alas, it was budget cuts which doomed our stay; those nasty little snippets that always get final say.

Who are we?

*Memory is kinda sketchy on this. Could've met in midtown.

M20?

i once served to connect two hubs but when the the budget spoke i got snipped. later when two friends the got cut down and married. They took my name? what route am i?

I don't know what you're trying to say with some of this, but my guess is the B61... If it's right, then I pass....

i once served to connect two hubs but when the the budget spoke i got snipped. later when two friends the got cut down and married. They took my name? what route am i?

B47? (B47 Served Prospect Park & Wmsburg Plaza, got cut, B40 & 78 merged to serve a partial restoration as B47))

Thanks.

There were three of us back in the 1960s. From Queens came one of us. James Madison killed him, then resurrected him on the other side, yet Madison let the 2nd one of us pass by right beneath his nose.

From uptown Manhattan came the 3rd of us, who crossed the 2nd one. Two of us have since been renamed, leaving one of us today. All three still basically have their same routes now as they did back then.

Who were we then and who are we now? (Clue: the magic numbers are "2&3 to be used together either way)

No guesses? I can't believe it's that difficult. I like using Manhattan because most everyone is familiar with the routes. Using past history adds some flavor, a little bit of mystery and a dab of research. I'll leave it unanswered so if/when this thread revives again a week/month/year from now someone might wish to solve it :)

No guesses? I can't believe it's that difficult. I like using Manhattan because most everyone is familiar with the routes. Using past history adds some flavor, a little bit of mystery and a dab of research. I'll leave it unanswered so if/when this thread revives again a week/month/year from now someone might wish to solve it :)

The M1,2,3 AND 4.

103 59st, m103 lex and q103?

/

Uh uh. You were WAY CLOSER with your previous guess.

The answer:

1) Then? M15 from Jackson Hts to 23rd St. Actual terminus was W. 26th St & 5th Ave. It would lay up at the curb on 5th Ave & Broadway at 25th St right outside Madison Park, named after James Madison, America's 4th President. It would start its run back to Queens (resurrected) 'on the other side' of the park at Madison Ave & E. 24th St. Now? Q32.

2) Then? M15 cross town on 23rd St ran right by Madison Park's southern tip (under his nose). Now? M23 crosstown.

3) Then? M15 from 126th St & 2nd Ave. Crossed M15/23 at 2nd Ave & E. 23rd St. Now? Still M15 today.

Uh uh. You were WAY CLOSER with your previous guess.

The answer:

1) Then? M15 from Jackson Hts to 23rd St. Actual terminus was W. 26th St & 5th Ave. It would lay up at the curb on 5th Ave & Broadway at 25th St right outside Madison Park, named after James Madison, America's 4th President. It would start its run back to Queens (resurrected) 'on the other side' of the park at Madison Ave & E. 24th St. Now? Q32.

2) Then? M15 cross town on 23rd St ran right by Madison Park's southern tip (under his nose). Now? M23 crosstown.

3) Then? M15 from 126th St & 2nd Ave. Crossed M15/23 at 2nd Ave & E. 23rd St. Now? Still M15 today.

sorry for not being technical enouph.

sorry for not being technical enouph.

Actually you almost had it. The only miss was the M15 on 2nd Ave. My lengthy explanation was just explaining the clues I left in my OP. Was no need for anyone to type all that mumbo. Just the 'then' and 'now' parts :)

When you say 'city' do you mean Manhattan or all of NYC?

My guess is the Bx12. Siblings are the local service btn Sedgwick/Webb Avenue & the Pelham Bay Pk subway station, local service from Belmont M-F in the afternoons and the Summer-only service to Orchard Beach. The sibling with no connection would be the Bx29 to City Island.

Archived