State Senate bill would outlaw food in the subway

Nova RTS 9147

From SAS Saga: Over the past few months, the MTA’s rat problem has drawn headlines as the authority has struggled to clean up its stations and rodents have become comfortable in the confines of the subway. A few State Senators are fighting back now with what promises to be a controversial proposal to ban all food from the subway. Sponsored by Senator Perkins and relying on a constituent survey that laid the blame for subway litter on the shoulders of sloppy straphangers, the bill would carry a fine of up to $250 for those caught eating underground.

The bill, available here, was referred to the Senate Transportation Committee earlier this week. It has the support of Senators Espaillat, Huntley and Oppenheimer as well and would ban the consumption of food on any subway, station or platform under the control of New York City Transit. Any fine collected under the measure would to Transit for use under a New York Subway Littering Prevention Fund and would cover the costs of publicizing the measure, among other uses.

It’s unclear exactly what the future holds for this bill right now. Banning food would go a long way toward improving cleanliness under ground, but enforcement, of course, would be problematic. Furthermore, the MTA draws some real estate revenue from newsstands and other businesses that sell food in the subway system. As the authority continues to assess its anti-trash can pilot, I’ll keep an eye on this measure as it winds its way through the legislative process. It is definitely not the worst idea to emerge from Albany.

The State Senate Bill

What do you guys think?

I like it. Get it passed and enforce it!! Our subways and buses are littered with nothing but trash and it needs to change. The folks doing the littering clearly have no respect for their fellow passengers and they need to be fined for it. Public transportation is NOT a kitchen. It is supposed to be used to get you from point A to point B and I get sick of folks using the subway and buses to eat their whole friggin' meal. Instead of taking their garbage with them they leave it all over the bus or subway. :mad: Not only that but who wants to smell what you're eating?? Completely rude and inconsiderate. The reality is with the cut backs in cleaning staff, there is simply not enough manpower to keep up with all of the slobs in this city.

As stated, just enforcing this rule will cause a ton of issues, but if it means a cleaner subway system and less rodents, I'm all for it.

Yeah well they said the same thing about smoking years ago... Gotta start somewhere otherwise we'll be overrun with rodents. Rodents will always exist, but the situation is getting worse and that's the real problem.

Yeah well they said the same thing about smoking years ago... Gotta start somewhere otherwise we'll be overrun with rodents. Rodents will always exist, but the situation is getting worse and that's the real problem.

I hear you. I don't expect the the subway to be pefectly clean, and yes rodents will always be around but to see people not eating down there, I think that's a miracle waiting to happen.

I hear you. I don't expect the the subway to be pefectly clean, and yes rodents will always be around but to see people not eating down there, I think that's a miracle waiting to happen.

I have to agree... Sadly enough the problem starts at home though. Kids aren't trained properly and they're slobs growing up and slobs as adults. I don't buy that "I don't have time to eat at home" nonsense, but that's besides the point. If people would just take their trash with them when they eat and properly disposed of it, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. That's the real problem. It's quite pathetic that people have to be fined just to refrain from being slobs. :(

This isn't fair to people that never even made a mess when they ate not to mentioned that I threw out my trash in the bin. It only takes a few people to mess things up for everyone.

This is true, but folks need to realize that eating is allowed really as a courtesy and since they have no consideration then take it away. The majority of the folks that do the eating do not clean up behind themselves and they're the ones that have the audacity to complain the most about the buses and subways being filthy. Really?? I mean they think they've got maid service. Utterly ridiculous. Like I said lack of home training. My mother nor my father would never allow me to throw my trash on the floor the way I see these kids doing that today and if I had kids I wouldn't dare allow it either. :mad:

This is true, but folks need to realize that eating is allowed really as a courtesy and since they have no consideration then take it away. The majority of the folks that do the eating do not clean up behind themselves and they're the ones that have the audacity to complain the most about the buses and subways being filthy. Really?? I mean they think they've got maid service. Utterly ridiculous. Like I said lack of home training. My mother nor my father would never allow me to throw my trash on the floor the way I see these kids doing that today and if I had kids I wouldn't dare allow it either. :mad:

There are way too many entrances to seal for rats, and they'll almost always find a way in regardless of how many holes they patch.

And they don't have the money for that. What about all the newsstands in the mezzanines or on the platforms?

There are way too many entrances to seal for rats, and they'll almost always find a way in regardless of how many holes they patch.

And they don't have the money for that. What about all the newsstands in the mezzanines or on the platforms?

If you read my previous posts in this thread, I said you can NEVER get rid of all of the rats. However, that doesn't mean that you don't try to contain the situation, just like you would if you had a rat problem at home. The rat problem in the city in general is becoming worse, let alone in the subway and it needs to be curbed, otherwise you'll have rats coming into the trains on a regular basis.

You haven't used the subways enough to see them on the platforms (or maybe you have), but before they started renovating Fulton St., that station, particularly the 4 and 5 platform heading towards Wall Street had rats on the platform like you couldn't believe. I can think of a few others too, but that one in particular stands out because of the size of the rats. They had a garbage bin at the beginning of the platform and you would see them moving around in the garbage bags eating and then continuing onto the platform and they were not afraid of humans either. They were big enough to almost be the size of small cats. I kid you not. I have never seen rats that big before, not even on the subway tracks. The point is the last thing we need to be doing is encouraging their growth by allowing slobs to eat and throw their trash all about. The less trash there is and the less food there is, the less of them there will be.

A few weeks ago this guy got on the (:( train and came on WITH trash. He proceeded to take his trash and stuff it under the chair under him, then pulled out his food, woofed that down and stuffed that under the chair as well. That is certainly a problem and when you've got people bringing trash onto the train when there are trash receptacles all along on the platforms, you know you've got a serious problem when that's happening.

This isn't fair to people that never even made a mess when they ate not to mentioned that I threw out my trash in the bin. It only takes a few people to mess things up for everyone.

I have on occasion eaten a cereal bar (from the wrapper) or wrapped candy when I want a quick energy boost on the subway but never anything like a slice of pizza or container of Chinese food. But even with the cereal bar, I have dropped small crumbs on the floor (never the wrapper). The problem is even for those who intend to clean up after themselves, accidents happen and stuff spills. A few months back on the 6 train a guy standing next to me tried to empty a small milk packet into his McDonald's coffee. I was worried that he would spill coffee on me. The other night I board the E train and someone's big gulp sized cup had just toppled over and the liquid covered a good part of the floor and started to enter the motorman's cab. I am in favor of the food ban. How many people are on the subway for more than an hour at a time. We have to be considerate of others. A subway car is not like a seat in a movie theatre or Yankee Stadium. The ban is much needed.

I have on occasion eaten a cereal bar (from the wrapper) or wrapped candy when I want a quick energy boost on the subway but never anything like a slice of pizza or container of Chinese food. But even with the cereal bar, I have dropped small crumbs on the floor (never the wrapper). The problem is even for those who intend to clean up after themselves, accidents happen and stuff spills. A few months back on the 6 train a guy standing next to me tried to empty a small milk packet into his McDonald's coffee. I was worried that he would spill coffee on me. The other night I board the E train and someone's big gulp sized cup had just toppled over and the liquid covered a good part of the floor and started to enter the motorman's cab. I am in favor of the food ban. How many people are on the subway for more than an hour at a time. We have to be considerate of others. A subway car is not like a seat in a movie theatre or Yankee Stadium. The ban is much needed.

The other issue is there is simply not enough time or staff to keep up with the spills and food left all about. Who knows when they'll be able to clean that car properly and that's the problem. The food is enough as it is, but then you have people that throw other sorts of garbage all about (newspapers, gum, gum wrappers and whatever else they don't feel like taking with them). The problem is getting out of control. A lot of the riders seem to think that they don't need to take their stuff with them because someone will come and clean up behind them and that's the wrong message to be sending them. It makes them lazy and makes them think that they'll always have someone to come and clean up behind them. We have to make folks more accountable when using the system. Their garbage is THEIR responsibility. Plain and simple as that.

Often times I buy a gyro from the guy a block from the station and eat it on my way home. Absolutely no way I'm going to stand outside in the freezing cold or the pouring rain to enjoy my food, which I always throw out. If I'm hungry and in a hurry, then I'm eating on the train there.

If they can't enforce littering then how do they expect to enforce no eating?

I'm with Gorgor on this. This will never work, our system is not like PATH or WMATA who are much smaller and have control over this. What should be done is go after those who litter or make a mess of the trains with their food/snacks or whatever.

I'm against it. I'm always on the go and something like a sandwich helps me out until I get home at the end of the day.

It's the slob jerks that has let us come to this point where eating on the subway would be banned. Not sure if any of you been on the Washington DC area Metro subway but their subway police 'strictly enforce it' and even gotten some controversy as giving summons to 12-13 year old kids a couple of years back.

If this proposal does pass and become law, I am sure someone like the ACLU might sue to overturn this. They point out that Metro-North/LIRR still allows their riders to eat but why not (NYCT)subways and buses?

Personally i have ate potato chips/candy bars or drinks on the subway many teams when i used the subway more frequent when i lived in Brooklyn.

If this bill passes there should be an excpetion IMO for those who use bottle water. Remember in summer many of the subway platforms are hotter than hell. Just my takes.

PS I was never a slob like my friend oscar below but this is directed at the slob on the nyc subway system lol.

If this what it takes to make our system a better, cleaner place, then I'm for it.

Don't you just hate it when a person munching on his fast food meal, teases you with it's smell and then stuffs the leftovers under his/her chair. Or better yet, spills soda, making the floor sticky as well as your shoes?

Obviously some people never been taught the proper etiquette manners, and now they will learn it the hard way.

If this what it takes to make our system a better, cleaner place, then I'm for it.

Don't you just hate it when a person munching on his fast food meal, teases you with it's smell and then stuffs the leftovers under his/her chair. Or better yet, spills soda, making the floor sticky as well as your shoes?

Obviously some people never been taught the proper etiquette manners, and now they will learn it the hard way.

Again to supporters of this idea such as Overclocked, VG8 and others as i play devils adovcate? What about fact Metro-North/LIRR allows their riders to eat on their trains? Would not the ACLU sue on those grounds? Also what about those with health problems who always need at least a bottle water? Remember in summer, the subway platforms are hotter than hell.

Await supporters of this proposal to address these concerns/issues above?

My god for once I agree with you. As rare as it is, sometimes I do eat on the train. Then I throw it in a receptacle when I exit the train. Though since I hate being stared at while eating, I only do it when leaving Stillwell on the (D). But seriously, this is stupid. This is not gonna lead to cleaner subways and this in definitely not gonna end the rodent problem. IT'S NYC, people are gonna do it anyway.

Again to supporters of this idea such as Overclocked, VG8 and others as i play devils adovcate? What about fact Metro-North/LIRR allows their riders to eat on their trains? Would not the ACLU sue on those grounds? Also what about those with health problems who always need at least a bottle water? Remember in summer, the subway platforms are hotter than hell.

I've never been or MNRR or LIRR, but from what I seen on the photos, the platforms, roadbed and inside the cars, it's much cleaner. I suspect that it has something to do with who rides the systems.

I read the bill thoroughly, and I did not see anywhere water and liquids being mentioned. The word "food" is ambiguous as it is, I don't think the lawmakers are complete nut-heads to ban water.

Water is one thing... Sandwiches and entire meals on the subway or bus is another. I see people get on the bus with a box of pizza stuffing their face stinking up the whole bus. Give me a break. It's completely inconsiderate of the other people around you. People don't have to eat on the subway or bus. They just think that they're entitled to as usual. If they must eat on the go they can simply eat what they have before boarding the bus or train.

Everyone is so entitled to everything that it's ridiculous. Passengers that think they're entitled to a free ride, entitled to leave a mess for someone else to clean up... It never ends... Time to take a stance because no one wants to be accountable for their actions. It's funny that all of these excuses are coming up. People said the same thing about smoking. Oh businesses will lose money and people won't be able to adjust. BS. The no smoking ban is working just fine and this would too.

The thing that still irks me is people complaining about oh the buses and trains are always so dirty. Doesn't the (MTA) clean anything?? How can they keep things clean when people are constantly making a mess? :confused:

I've never been or MNRR or LIRR, but from what I seen on the photos, the platforms, roadbed and inside the cars, it's much cleaner. I suspect that it has something to do with who rides the systems.

I read the bill thoroughly, and I did not see anywhere water and liquids being mentioned. The word "food" is ambiguous as it is, I don't think the lawmakers are complete nut-heads to ban water.

Exactly... Like I said if folks cleaned up behind themselves this would not be an issue, but as usual, when you give folks an inch they take a mile. Typical. :(

This could whip some otherwise sloppy people into behaving like any other straphanger mindful of their subway system if they apply the bill wisely.

Say goodbye to rowdy teens eating sunflower seeds and tossing the shells all over the place.

Archived