LIRR should reactivate the northern section of its old Rockaway branch: advocates

Shortline Bus

I think this just amounts to politicians just talking crap to score points for next election, I really doubt we will ever see that line being used for anything. Turning it into the next high-line park is probably the most probable thing to come of it.

Allow me to reiterate, the idea of the (JFK) coming back wont happen, back then the (A) was local except rush hours, so the tracks were open for them to run such a service, and everyone proposing plans, what is the big issue with the (A) I've rode it from Broad Channel to Manhattan, its not that long of a ride.

Well I've always found the (A) to be hit or miss. I mean if you can catch one then great, otherwise the (C) train tends to come more frequently. The (A)s seem to run in bunches when they do come and the folks out in Rockaway complain about the (A) being unreliable and they probably have a good gripe too.

If the (MTA) can't offer more quicker options via rail then they should try to extend the runs of the express buses out there at least to give folks some sort of relief.

I never understood why an area so far out gets such little express bus service anyway?? Do they not use the QM16 and QM17 out there?? :confused:

Well I've always found the (A) to be hit or miss. I mean if you can catch one then great, otherwise the (C) train tends to come more frequently. The (A)s seem to run in bunches when they do come and the folks out in Rockaway complain about the (A) being unreliable and they probably have a good gripe too.

If the (MTA) can't offer more quicker options via rail then they should try to extend the runs of the express buses out there at least to give folks some sort of relief.

I never understood why an area so far out gets such little express bus service anyway?? Do they not use the QM16 and QM17 out there?? :confused:

I don't remember the wait being too terrible when I rode and photographed the (A) out in that area, it was like every 15 min, the (S) took a while but that's more understandable.

WTF?? what does that even mean?

Well considering all the MNRR and LIRR limitations the most practical way to restore service would be to convert it into another subway line.

Wallyhorse is another member who often has good, but impractical and very costly ideas, like the Rockaway Branch thing. It's destroyed. It will just be too much money.

Interesting good idea I was only trying to give 2nd ave subway a 2nd function. Besides the HBLR AND PATH are useless to ppl north of the GWB cause last I checked most of the traffic via GWB is going to the bronx and northwest queens which my proposed (K) line would address that market which is why I-87 is backed up all the time. The cheaper option is make LGA a bua terminal and let GWB buses give direct access to LGA. Or a pittsburgh style busway to allow buses to do it. Or like you said extend the (G) over the 2nd ave to GWB. PABT wins due to better train connections. My (K) has ability to be a faster version of the (A) indirectly and make Gwb attractive. I am curious cheaper ways to link LGA to the city what would you suggest from your opinion you have interesting ideas spill in.

head-desk-facepalm-demotivational-poster-1274356860.jpg

The reason why it seems like the (A) takes forever in the Rockaways is cuz once you get past Rockaway Blvd, headways DOUBLE for both branches since each branch has its own headway. The headways they have out now is for COMBINED branches before the split

Interesting good idea I was only trying to give 2nd ave subway a 2nd function. Besides the HBLR AND PATH are useless to ppl north of the GWB cause last I checked most of the traffic via GWB is going to the bronx and northwest queens which my proposed (K) line would address that market which is why I-87 is backed up all the time. The cheaper option is make LGA a bua terminal and let GWB buses give direct access to LGA. Or a pittsburgh style busway to allow buses to do it. Or like you said extend the (G) over the 2nd ave to GWB. PABT wins due to better train connections. My (K) has ability to be a faster version of the (A) indirectly and make Gwb attractive. I am curious cheaper ways to link LGA to the city what would you suggest from your opinion you have interesting ideas spill in.

ok seriously, what the fcuk

sup trying to include the SAS in every damn plan...the whole point of it is to relieve overcrowding on the Lex, THAT'S IT. Not to help LGA airport, not to help GWB bus terminal, just for the Lex

My proposal:

Use the existing unused ramps from the Queens Blvd Trunk in Rego Park (both ramps are position to run right up into Rockaway Line, and mind you they never used these ramps so it'll be like new.), build two new bellmouths right at the foot of the Rockaway Line, the run a two track subway line down it to connect with the (A) train at Ozone Park. Add three station, Jamaica Avenue, Atlantic Avenue, and Liberty Avenue. (Yes these are spots of the original stations along the line.) Then build new crossover just after JFK station, so the Queens Blvd-JFK train can use the center tracks to layup. This would cost half of what it would take to bring the LIRR back on the line. Plus, when the A train come into the picuture, where the hell can LIRR run? On top of the A? Cause they can't share track. That would require making the whole system FRA specs... :/

This is the best thing they can do to bring the Rockaway Branch back from the dead. Maybe send the (M) to Howard Beach and add a couple more stops between Forest Park and the junction with the Queens Blvd line. The line is not destroyed, just dilapidated. Reviving it would certainly cost much less than building an entirely underground subway.

there is room to increase the (A) headways during off peak times, I honestly cant see a purpose for reactivating a long dead LIRR branch or ruin (A) express service with the (JFK) or something similar.

First lets see if this thing actually brings in the people they say it would, how many times has a sleezy developer got a city to build some overpriced convention thing and the city builds all sorts of roads and things to it and yet, hardly anyone uses it.

Like I said in previous threads, you do NOT need subway access for every single square inch of the city.

there is room to increase the (A) headways during off peak times, I honestly cant see a purpose for reactivating a long dead LIRR branch or ruin (A) express service with the (JFK) or something similar.

First lets see if this thing actually brings in the people they say it would, how many times has a sleezy developer got a city to build some overpriced convention thing and the city builds all sorts of roads and things to it and yet, hardly anyone uses it.

Like I said in previous threads, you do NOT need subway access for every single square inch of the city.

But at the same time Fox, the area in question (Rego Park, Glendale, Woodhaven, Northern Ozone Park) lacks proper service even by bus! The LIRR right-of-way while very delapadted could be restored for subway service and the Rego Park spur's bellmouth sits right at the foot of where the Rockaway Branch lets off, so the cost of refurbishing the line plus the small and I emphasize SMALL amount of tunneling would help bring speeder service to East Queens at cost both the city and the MTA can probably deal with.

At the same time, I completely understand where u came from with how this city tried to serve all these places just cuz something new is going up. The (7) extension is already deemed useless since now Jacobs Javist is closing and the West Side Stadium never built, at the same time I feel the extension was quietly made to bring NYC Subway into Jersey. (Let that be disused in it's own thread just making an example here.) Now the only reason why they want to revive this service is because it going to serve a new convention center that might not even get built. Isn't the demand of service enough? Why because Mayor Crapberg wants something built a MTA service has to be extended?

Guys. In reply to the recent Daily News column by pro-transit advocates, the Chairwoman of Queens Community Board 9 which is in middle of this line has made her own proposal to turning that old LIRR line into a "Greeway" for bikers and joggers/walkers alike. Here the column from Andrea Crawford in today's (2/8/12) Daily News. Crawford is also a member of Steering Committee of Friends of the Queensway in which she suggests instead 1)Opening a new "Woodhaven Blvd/Atlantic Ave" station on the Atlantic (Brooklyn)branch of the LIRR 2)Create SBS service for the (Q11) (Q21) (Q53) lines. 4) New Ferry service for Broad Channel and the Rockaways. 5)Expanded (A) service. Reactions after reading link below?

"Friends of the QueensWay formed as a coming together of all the communities along the abandoned right of way that was once the Rockaway Branch spur of the Long Island Rail Road. Since its formation, multitudes of people around the world have expressed support.

As of today, an online petition calling on the City of New York to convert the Rockaway line to a park has 1,426 signatures which include those of more than 300 people from the Forest Hills/Rego Park area, more than 700 people from Queens and those of people from nearly 50 countries around the world.

Most importantly, the potential of this project has ignited an outpouring of support from Queens residents who are confronted with the paucity of available safe, scenic bicycle routes in the borough. The ability to bicycle around Queens and perhaps get to a safe park, such as Forest Park, a jewel in city park system, is extremely limited, and in fact, can pose danger to anyone but the most experienced cyclist.

The ability for residents from South Ozone Park and Rego Park to safely ride through their own neighborhoods and meet up in Forest Park is most certainly an ambitious project, but one that is feasible by converting this long-abandoned right-of-away into a greenway."

For bikers, turning the old LIRR Rockaway line into a*greenway is the QueensWay to go* - NY Daily News

Perhaps not, but there is no question that many parts of Queens are poorly underserved and the (MTA) can certainly do better. You mentioned waiting for the (A) train for about 15 minutes. They should at least bump up the (A) to every 10 minutes because they usually run delayed, so 15 minutes is really more like 20 in some cases which is a bit much for a subway line.

Also, yeah like the politician proposed, have some routes have SBS service. SBS is cheaper than a subway and gives folks some sort of alternative to the subway. Ferry service would be good also if they can run it and it can remain profitable. We need to find ways in this city to give folks more alternatives BESIDES the subway especially seeing how fragile the system is.

I have an idea to please the Greenway people. The LIRR Rockaway Beach Branch has a 4 track capacity, but a subway reactivation only requires two. So my proposal is to turn the two inner tracks into operating subway tracks, and to turn the outer two tracks into a park. The subway portion would be covered with a glass canopy to prevent people from jumping into the tracks and getting in for a free ride. This would please both the residents and railfans.

Guest lance25
Perhaps not, but there is no question that many parts of Queens are poorly underserved and the (MTA) can certainly do better. You mentioned waiting for the (A) train for about 15 minutes. They should at least bump up the (A) to every 10 minutes because they usually run delayed, so 15 minutes is really more like 20 in some cases which is a bit much for a subway line.

Also, yeah like the politician proposed, have some routes have SBS service. SBS is cheaper than a subway and gives folks some sort of alternative to the subway. Ferry service would be good also if they can run it and it can remain profitable. We need to find ways in this city to give folks more alternatives BESIDES the subway especially seeing how fragile the system is.

If you increase the amount of (A) trains serving the Rockaways, either you'd have to decrease the number serving Lefferts or keep the amount as low as possible so the (A) and (C) can fit through the Cranberry Tubes and not mess with the (D) on Central Park West. I'm not saying it's impossible; just that there are limits to how many trains will fit on the tracks.

While the idea of new SBS routes is a cost-effective one, the idea behind all of this regarding the Rockaway Beach line is to have Manhattan to the Rockaways service without it becoming a journey. Even with new SBS routes on Woodhaven and Cross Bay Boulevards, one would still have to hop on the subway from Manhattan to get there, whereas both options proposed in the first DN article has either the LIRR running via the Main Line from Penn Station or one of the subway lines from the Queens Blvd line. Both of these options also have the benefit of being potential one-seat rides as well. Sure it won't be cheap; the subway/commuter rail option is rarely, if ever, cheaper than the bus one. However, it's also about what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to make the Rockaways more accessible to the CBD by transit or do you want to make the trip on Woodhaven Blvd a little faster?

I would only suggest a Subway extension if every other option is used to the max, if their bus routes are full, increase the headways on the buses, add in some Limited Stop Routes, perhaps even add in an SBS route. All those things are cheaper than a new Subway line and can bring in results much faster. People start to forget that eastern Queens is much like western Nassau, people already have cars, and there's houses with driveways and theres less need for Subway lines out there.

If you increase the amount of (A) trains serving the Rockaways, either you'd have to decrease the number serving Lefferts or keep the amount as low as possible so the (A) and (C) can fit through the Cranberry Tubes and not mess with the (D) on Central Park West. I'm not saying it's impossible; just that there are limits to how many trains will fit on the tracks.

While the idea of new SBS routes is a cost-effective one, the idea behind all of this regarding the Rockaway Beach line is to have Manhattan to the Rockaways service without it becoming a journey. Even with new SBS routes on Woodhaven and Cross Bay Boulevards, one would still have to hop on the subway from Manhattan to get there, whereas both options proposed in the first DN article has either the LIRR running via the Main Line from Penn Station or one of the subway lines from the Queens Blvd line. Both of these options also have the benefit of being potential one-seat rides as well. Sure it won't be cheap; the subway/commuter rail option is rarely, if ever, cheaper than the bus one. However, it's also about what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to make the Rockaways more accessible to the CBD by transit or do you want to make the trip on Woodhaven Blvd a little faster?

Well I'm a big supporter of boosting transportation where possible if the costs can be kept within reason, so I would certainly support SBS service, more subway service and the rebirth of the LIRR there as well. I've had a long commute for years and I sympathize with these folks. Over the years, I feel like the (MTA) has worked to make commuting to the city MORE difficult instead of less difficult. Not everyone can afford OR wants to live in the city and they shouldn't be punished for wanting to live in a more suburban area and commute into the city when they need or want to. I strongly believe that transportation in South East Queens needs to be improved where possible, even if it means that we as a whole have to pay a bit more.

In sum, I would argue that service within the Rockaways and service from the Rockaways to the city needs to be improved. If money can be found to get a ferry service started, that would be great too. It has been quite successful in Williamsburg and has helped to alleviate some of the overcrowding on the (L) line. We have to continue to work to get more cars off of the road and get more people using public transportation. I find it ironic that the economy is in bad shape yet congestion is getting worse in the city. What will happen when the economy does turn around?? Now is the time to be trying to implement as many transportation improvements as possible.

They need an Express Bus for the (L) line area to address the overcrowding, they can run it from the Wycoff area and have it run near the L stops as best as it can, then turn it up the BQE then onto the LIE and in the Midtown Tunnel. Maybe have a second one use the Williamsburg Bridge to go to Lower Manhattan.

They need an Express Bus for the (L) line area to address the overcrowding, they can run it from the Wycoff area and have it run near the L stops as best as it can, then turn it up the BQE then onto the LIE and in the Midtown Tunnel. Maybe have a second one use the Williamsburg Bridge to go to Lower Manhattan.

There was a plan right before the June 2010 Doomsday Cuts to have a (B62) not the current LIC-Downtown Brooklyn route, correct me if wrong at the Lorimer St/Metro Ave (G)(L) station and East Midtown in the Grand Central area at around 3rd/42nd via the Midtown Tunnel Foxie.

With that said, I think a route running between Greenpoint/Williamsburg and East Midtown should be created as soon as the funding is there.

Back to topic. In end I don't think the Rockaway Branch will ever be rebulid. Thus why i threw the idea of a light rail instead.

Guys. In reply to the recent Daily News column by pro-transit advocates, the Chairwoman of Queens Community Board 9 which is in middle of this line has made her own proposal to turning that old LIRR line into a "Greeway" for bikers and joggers/walkers alike. Here the column from Andrea Crawford in today's (2/8/12) Daily News. Crawford is also a member of Steering Committee of Friends of the Queensway in which she suggests instead 1)Opening a new "Woodhaven Blvd/Atlantic Ave" station on the Atlantic (Brooklyn)branch of the LIRR 2)Create SBS service for the (Q11) (Q21) (Q53) lines. 4) New Ferry service for Broad Channel and the Rockaways. 5)Expanded (A) service. Reactions after reading link below?

"Friends of the QueensWay formed as a coming together of all the communities along the abandoned right of way that was once the Rockaway Branch spur of the Long Island Rail Road. Since its formation, multitudes of people around the world have expressed support.

As of today, an online petition calling on the City of New York to convert the Rockaway line to a park has 1,426 signatures which include those of more than 300 people from the Forest Hills/Rego Park area, more than 700 people from Queens and those of people from nearly 50 countries around the world.

Most importantly, the potential of this project has ignited an outpouring of support from Queens residents who are confronted with the paucity of available safe, scenic bicycle routes in the borough. The ability to bicycle around Queens and perhaps get to a safe park, such as Forest Park, a jewel in city park system, is extremely limited, and in fact, can pose danger to anyone but the most experienced cyclist.

The ability for residents from South Ozone Park and Rego Park to safely ride through their own neighborhoods and meet up in Forest Park is most certainly an ambitious project, but one that is feasible by converting this long-abandoned right-of-away into a greenway."

For bikers, turning the old LIRR Rockaway line into a*greenway is the QueensWay to go* - NY Daily News

There was actually a stop there at that location but it closed ages ago. You can still see the station from passing trains...and its still in a good condition

s

This is why here on the Woodhaven Blvd. Corridor, we should have a Light Rail Service, no matter one or two track. Light Rail cars are narrower than Subway Cars but can carry plenty of riders. It's also safer and more cost efficient since you only have to build a station and put in some ticket machines, Light Rail cars also stop and brake better than Subway and Commuter Rail cars, and it's not like the subway where you need fare gates or what not.

As for the Greenway, I'd do this: Light Rail the Woodhaven Blvd. side of the Right of Way and the Greenway be aligned on the other side, so people would have better access and pedestrians and bikers would have a straighter and more dedicated path.

Alignment Plan [ | = Side of Bridge/ROW ]: <-East | Pedestian Path/Bike Path ^Rockaway Bound^ LRV Track NB/LRV Track SB | West->

Where would the light rail line start and end? Would the light rail trains go all the way to the Rockaways?

The reason why it seems like the (A) takes forever in the Rockaways is cuz once you get past Rockaway Blvd, headways DOUBLE for both branches since each branch has its own headway. The headways they have out now is for COMBINED branches before the split

ok seriously, what the fcuk

sup trying to include the SAS in every damn plan...the whole point of it is to relieve overcrowding on the Lex, THAT'S IT. Not to help LGA airport, not to help GWB bus terminal, just for the Lex

I know but all I suggested was add in another function that can be very successful. Ohh and roadcruiser try to think about solutions ohh status quo doesn't count.

Besides I had 2 ideas one that doesn't include LGA or SAS the other includes 2nd ave subway

But at the same time Fox, the area in question (Rego Park, Glendale, Woodhaven, Northern Ozone Park) lacks proper service even by bus! The LIRR right-of-way while very delapadted could be restored for subway service and the Rego Park spur's bellmouth sits right at the foot of where the Rockaway Branch lets off, so the cost of refurbishing the line plus the small and I emphasize SMALL amount of tunneling would help bring speeder service to East Queens at cost both the city and the MTA can probably deal with.

At the same time, I completely understand where u came from with how this city tried to serve all these places just cuz something new is going up. The (7) extension is already deemed useless since now Jacobs Javist is closing and the West Side Stadium never built, at the same time I feel the extension was quietly made to bring NYC Subway into Jersey. (Let that be disused in it's own thread just making an example here.) Now the only reason why they want to revive this service is because it going to serve a new convention center that might not even get built. Isn't the demand of service enough? Why because Mayor Crapberg wants something built a MTA service has to be extended?

you have a point there. Already made an idea for it beat you to it.

I have an idea to please the Greenway people. The LIRR Rockaway Beach Branch has a 4 track capacity, but a subway reactivation only requires two. So my proposal is to turn the two inner tracks into operating subway tracks, and to turn the outer two tracks into a park. The subway portion would be covered with a glass canopy to prevent people from jumping into the tracks and getting in for a free ride. This would please both the residents and railfans.
Or we can simply make the (K) GWB-rockaway park line via astoria OR 2nd ave subway and old rockaway branch no it won't go to LGA. Instead a bus via BQE from jackson heights will take ppl to LGA.

I would only suggest a Subway extension if every other option is used to the max, if their bus routes are full, increase the headways on the buses, add in some Limited Stop Routes, perhaps even add in an SBS route. All those things are cheaper than a new Subway line and can bring in results much faster. People start to forget that eastern Queens is much like western Nassau, people already have cars, and there's houses with driveways and theres less need for Subway lines out there.
True my bus idea was to max out all possible options and create FASTER MORE DIRECT inter borough and outer borough service via HOV immunity then when that is maxed out that creates an excuse for LRT to be the final phase.

Won't work in order for an express bus to be effective it needs a highway non-stop portion. There are NO highways to the areas the (L) serves I know I used the (L) an express bus to those inner areas would be just an overpriced local bus that ppl will simply NOT USE. The street layout won't allow the bus to move fast enough for it to be a feasible alternative to the (L) (L) riders would just laugh at it.

This is why here on the Woodhaven Blvd. Corridor, we should have a Light Rail Service, no matter one or two track. Light Rail cars are narrower than Subway Cars but can carry plenty of riders. It's also safer and more cost efficient since you only have to build a station and put in some ticket machines, Light Rail cars also stop and brake better than Subway and Commuter Rail cars, and it's not like the subway where you need fare gates or what not.

As for the Greenway, I'd do this: Light Rail the Woodhaven Blvd. side of the Right of Way and the Greenway be aligned on the other side, so people would have better access and pedestrians and bikers would have a straighter and more dedicated path.

Alignment Plan [ | = Side of Bridge/ROW ]: <-East | Pedestian Path/Bike Path ^Rockaway Bound^ LRV Track NB/LRV Track SB | West->

Interesting LRT via old rockaway branch then transfer station to subway and LIRR via station consolidation then via jackson heights to randalls island then MNRR 125th to GWB death comes to M98 afterwards. Then maybe marble hill BUT that isn't even realistic thanks to the (1). Connectivity between areas gets improved. then HOV improves on-time performance of B110 and intercity buses to boro park(monroe bus) and chinatown shuttles from flushing to LES. Opportunity for fast service gets created. Due to buses based on this highway ending at hubs more interlining means fewer buses to fill in runs thus creating cost savings and better connectivity. Just ask the groups for better transit they will tell you OUTERBOROUGH interborough service sucks!!!!!!!!!!

Unless you have ideas to improve interborough bus service speak now or STFU!!!!! Before you bash come up with your own ideas if you have none don't even waste time replying to my post. Cause I present these ideas to people in person and most of em love it. Maybe the advocates for better transit would like to hear from me I will give it a shot reguardless of what you think. Ohh shortline don't take offense to it ok just making a point

I know but all I suggested was add in another function that can be very successful. Ohh and roadcruiser try to think about solutions ohh status quo doesn't count.

Besides I had 2 ideas one that doesn't include LGA or SAS the other includes 2nd ave subway

Your idea won't come true because it requires new infrastructure, and expensive costs that would set back the (MTA) billions. I try my best using existing infrastructure, but your idea would make it worse. I am being real not daydreaming...

how are you gonna add a second function to something that's barely even halfway done

:tup::tup:

Your idea won't come true because it requires new infrastructure, and expensive costs that would set back the (MTA) billions. I try my best using existing infrastructure, but your idea would make it worse. I am being real not daydreaming...

Ok fair enough existing infrastructure was why I had bus ideas like service over the I-278 corridor a series based on modifying existing routes. In a network

Here is the completed version one an existing rte to 3rd ave the hub via BQE and jackson heights and astoria (N)(Q). Then another that will need a bus HOV which is williamsburg to LGA via jackson heights some service to LES and via connections to (L)(G) if possible to avoid the worst of BQE. 2nd a bronx to queens express type route it is at fordham and hits the highway via E180 (2)(5) via I-895 and I-278 to LGA via astoria (N)(Q) thus making timed connections with the jackson heights 3rd ave one. The routes other than the LES/williamsburg-LGA will not need a HOV as soon since BQE traffic eases up north of jackson heights or even LIE. Finally to top it off a service enhancement or BRT HOV for M98 would do wonders but the highway may need widening. A busway later when economy improves can become practical since it's cheaper. If the busway network is built GWB bus routes would connect better with MTA's express network and more ridership will come as a result plus BXM express riders will see a HUGE DROP in travel time. Especially the riverdale riders via 8 will LOVE IT. However I think HOV and babysteps will be the way to go. I create options so if one doesn't work the cheaper option is always a possibility. We are similar in thinking. Now connect the dots and map it out then you will know what I am really getting at if done properly interborough outer borough commute times will PLUMMET!!!!!!!

The Light Rail will start at Rego Park with connections to LIRR via Pedestrian Bridge and Platform, then the Light Rails will cross the LIRR Tracks via a flyover ramp or a tunnel to the LIRR Rockaway ROW, the Light Rail will travel down until reaching the (A) Line, now this portion would be a bit tricky. I'd shift the (A) Line both directions at Aqueduct Racetrack to the two Western-most tracks, and the Light Rails to the two Eastern-most tracks, both system would have track connections to each other. Both the (A) and the Light Rail will run on the Same Track while stopping at Aqueduct/N. Conduit and Howard Beach/JFK, however the Light Rail won't run to the Rockaways, it will just reverse at the center two tracks. Also, due to the lower platforms required for Light Rail, there will be two pairs of separate platforms at Aqueduct/N. Conduit and Howard Beach/JFK respectively, but both have ramps up to the (A) platform.

Not to mention, this Light Rail also have provisions for possible LGA service, but I'll leave it to another thread...

I like how you think that was one option as part of my ideas but that is best case senario. LRT could go to GWB then bronx via astoria and jackson heights OR via LGA but if bus service can be done it would make it more direct. If money is available LGA service would be an airtrain to woodside LIRR via jackson heights to link with the LRT. I like how you think:tup::tup:. You beat me to it in a sense. I will discuss my other travels through MD in another thread. That bold statement has NOTHING to do with NYC it is what I will discuss later about my experience with their routes.

Archived