Tottenville and the R-44s

MattTrain

its an interesting railway that not many people head down to. Careful at St George I was stopped there last time I was down there.

Were you on a platform aside from the platform with a train waiting for passengers to board? If so, that's probably why.

Glad you enjoyed the photos, Julio! Julio the Conductor did a great job over there.

As for St. George, I only took one photo, and didn't have any issues with security over there.

BTW I forgot to add this:

SIRRFan86.jpg

SIRRFan88.jpg

That conductor looks familiar. Haha ;) nice shots.

Lol...surprised I haven't ran into you yet. Maybe one of these days... :P

Were these 44 always in Staten Island or did they once run on the main lines?

A handful were transferred from the main lines, I forgot how many but almost all of them have always been in Staten Island.

And to the OP, good stuff!!!

Were these 44 always in Staten Island or did they once run on the main lines?

I believe most of them were initially in Staten Island, but others have answered this question better than I did.

Lol...surprised I haven't ran into you yet. Maybe one of these days... :P

A handful were transferred from the main lines, I forgot how many but almost all of them have always been in Staten Island.

And to the OP, good stuff!!!

Thanks a lot, glad you enjoyed!

:tup::tup::tup::tup: pics! I got to fan the SIR exp some day, I know the propulsion on those cars have a really good whining sound when they reach high speeds.

Thanks, dude! They go very fast non-stop between St. George and Great Kills. I haven't been on an Express train yet this year.

Were you on a platform aside from the platform with a train waiting for passengers to board? If so, that's probably why.

no, I was actually on the platform photographing the train I was gunna board. I've told the story before, it was the train conductor and he was actually quite nice when we got to talking :o even waved to me when I was photographing at Atlantic and Eltingville stations.

:tup::tup::tup::tup: pics! I got to fan the SIR exp some day, I know the propulsion on those cars have a really good whining sound when they reach high speeds.

The funny thing is that I live on SI, and yet I've only rode the super-express once (I mean, I've rode it a few times within the South Shore, but I've only rode the portion between Great Kills and St. George once). It was pretty fast. I think we made it to Eltingville 15 minutes after we left St. George.

It's amazing that it's about 10 miles to Eltingville, and 6 miles to my neighborhood, and yet it takes almost twice as long to reach my neighborhood. :P Of course, off-peak, the express train doesn't run, but you can cover much more distance in the same timeframe with the SIR than with local buses.

Archived