Soliciting Money From People!

Have you ever had a time in the subway or in public when someone is trying to solicit money from people?

Today, I found a man wearing a thick, gray North Face jacket saying something to get money from people on the Ditmars Blvd bound R160B Siemens (N) train #8793. It's really annoying, but I ignored him, just relaxed and enjoyed the ride! He was going to every people begging for it, but almost everybody remained silent and sleepy which is a good thing!

When the train approaches 36th St, he was a whole wad of cash. I don't understand what was going on there. I don't think he's just getting money from people so he can be rich than anyone else!

*The R160s have a announcement about "Soliciting Money Is Illegal"*

Regardless of that rule of asking for money, people still do it, and may cops don't care.

I don't mind to give, but ONLY if I can afford it, and ONLY if I have belief that you are actually homeless. I do it rarely now a days, just in case. If your just a clean person, asking for money, or try to cheat, Im no interested. I've actually gave money to a person a few times before, which I thought he was homeless. Until i find out one day hes actually holding a NYS Benefit card on him, and buying beer. Never again I go thru this. Years ago of course.

Just be careful, not to take out a huge bill or something, you don't want problems. Be smart and be careful.

I just don't give, and he has a North Face jacket = he must have the money. I have been offended plenty, so my money ONLY goes to trusted Charity, not a random individual who could be using it to buy drugs, illegal herbs and alcohol no matter if I have $1K or $1B.

Exactly. I either give money to a charity where those in need can go if they really do want help, or if it's a homeless individual I see often, I'll offer to buy them a sandwich or something on the return trip. I've seen way too many "homeless" people count a massive wad of cash when they get off the train from being career panhandlers. Others look like long time drug abusers. It's sad that a few fakes have to ruin it for those who really do just need a bite to eat.

Lol...reminds me of this time back in 2010 a few Saturday mornings on the ferry heading to SI when there was this Chinese woman and she would go around begging for money...the worst part is, if you were ignoring her, she'd get your attention someway and somehow. She was standing over me for several seconds and I just kept on pretending like she didn't exist. After a minute she got the message and moved on. I was so close to smacking the cup with her change out her hand and all over the floor.

It's one thing to beg, but some people take it too far. Of course, there are some musicians who, if they manage to get my attention with some good music, I'll throw a dollar their way if I have it.

Lol...reminds me of this time back in 2010 a few Saturday mornings on the ferry heading to SI when there was this Chinese woman and she would go around begging for money...the worst part is, if you were ignoring her, she'd get your attention someway and somehow. She was standing over me for several seconds and I just kept on pretending like she didn't exist. After a minute she got the message and moved on. I was so close to smacking the cup with her change out her hand and all over the floor.

It's one thing to beg, but some people take it too far. Of course, there are some musicians who, if they manage to get my attention with some good music, I'll throw a dollar their way if I have it.

LOL... I used to get annoyed but now I usually either have fun with it or give them the look of death and they know not to even approach me. Occasionally some of them have balls and do though. The subway is bad but the Port Authority is the worse! I used to get NJ Transit tickets for the express bus over by the ticket booth and there is always one hanging out over there. I go and get my tickets this one time and this black guy goes "I know I don't know you..." and before he could finish I finished the sentence and said "...Yeah and that's exactly why you shouldn't be talking to me". Made me remember the old don't talk to strangers line that every parent teaches their kid. Stopped him dead in his tracks.

My other personal favorite is when they ask for a dollar I tell them that I'll make a deal with them and give them a dollar for every two dollars they give me. :P I tried it once and asked the guy who was begging me what he thought of the idea and he said he couldn't do it and I asked him why and he said because he didn't have anything. lol The thing is though when you f*ck with them they usually give up. Occasionally though if I'm in a real good mood I may give a dollar and be a sucker. I figure most of the begging I see is on the (4) and (5) line and I'm sure that they'll be stupid enough to beg on the same line more than once so if they're full of it I'll see them again soon enough.

Anywho I will offer to buy them food if they ask for it to test them and sometimes if I have food with me from Whole Foods I may just give them part of what I have.

I don't give money to no beggar anymore..... the posers done phucked it up for the ones that are really homeless & are in need..... too many outsiders done gotten hip to the game (comin to NYC, panhandling their asses off & snatchin up a couple bucks from unsuspecting suckers).... and that's how they view ppl. that give them money too....

That, and the ones that ask for specific amounts of money... GTFO my face; you should expect to get whatever's given out of the "kindness of someone's heart", not what the hell you have the gall to request...... happened to me last week where this guy gets on the B askin riders (I notice he only approached black ppl, myself included) can they spare 2 dollars.....

I said, and I quote.... "Can YOU spare two dollars???"

I got my own rent to worry about, to hell with aiding in paying someone else's...... Go get a job, you lazy good for nothin rat bastard...

I don't give money to no beggar anymore..... the posers don't phucked it up for the ones that are really homeless & are in need..... too many outsiders done gotten hip to the game (comin to NYC, panhandling their asses off & snatchin up a couple bucks)....

It's so true. There was an Asian lady across the street from my office building that I know wasn't really homeless. She would come at set hours. I'd see her only in the morning and by the time lunch time rolled around she would be gone. Nice lady too from what I could tell, but clearly trying to play the game. :P

Sometime last year I was coming from somewhere and on my way to Whole Foods to grab a bite to eat before heading to my office and this Latino guy sees me makes eye contact and felt comfortable enough to ask me for money for food so I said to myself you want food? Okay let's see how full of sh*t you are, so I go okay then come with me because I'm heading to Whole Foods now and he goes nah I'm going in the other direction. LOL Mind you Whole Foods was down the block... Now I have been asked by other folks for food and I went and bought them something and they were thanking me. I did that for another Hispanic guy once and he was really thankful. I'll give food or buy food because my mom would do that too so I got that from her and some folks are legitimately hungry, but she said never give money if they ask for food. They either take the food I have or take me up on my offer if I'm generous enough to offer to buy them something or move on.

I don't give money to no beggar anymore..... the posers done phucked it up for the ones that are really homeless & are in need..... too many outsiders done gotten hip to the game (comin to NYC, panhandling their asses off & snatchin up a couple bucks from unsuspecting suckers).... and that's how they view ppl. that give them money too....

That, and the ones that ask for specific amounts of money... GTFO my face; you should expect to get whatever's given out of the "kindness of someone's heart", not what the hell you have the gall to request...... happened to me last week where this guy gets on the B askin riders (I notice he only approached black ppl, myself included) can they spare 2 dollars.....

I said, and I quote.... "Can YOU spare two dollars???"

I got my own rent to worry about, to hell with aiding in paying someone else's...... Go get a job, you lazy good for nothin rat bastard...

lol... My sentiments exactly... With me I get hit up by everybody... White, black, Latino... The whole nine yards... Last week was funny. This black guy comes in to the dry cleaners/laundromat and me and a white lady was there (I was completing an errand) and he comes in and goes to the white lady immediately and asks her for money since she was the closest. She was ignorning him mainly because she was in her own world with music on and he started waving rudely in her face until she stopped her music and then made some signal that she had no money to give him and then he looks at me and he already knew there wasn't a chance in hell that I was giving anything so before I could even finish he said yeah yeah yeah and waived his hands in disgust. lol I chuckled.

But who needs the subway to get the rudest beggars? There's a black guy on 5th Avenue (usually near 41st street) that literally curses people out if they ignore him or tell him they don't have any money for him.

They can be annoying....

I usually don't give on the subway. I will sometimes give dancers some money, as those kids can do some crazy things on those poles.

People can do some crazy things. I remember walking down a platform at Jay St one afternoon, and this woman just blurted out "Can you give me a dollar?"

I ignored her.

I came close to punching one in the face--this one had no concept of what personal space is....some can get aggressive, but so can I :P

Never gave, never will. I just ignore them outright. As long as the person keeps moving, fine. I don't want to see a damn cup waived in my face to drop a few coins in. I am not digging in my wallet for some coins for anyone.

Few weeks ago there was a couple on the (A) with a baby asking for money to move out of a shelter and into a hotel room. Well it seems their sob story worked as I saw some folks dropping some dollar bills. I don't care what the story is (ppl in wheelchairs with a missing leg, etc) I'm not giving any money. It's charities or nothing. And for charities it's usually through donation of old clothes. I generally make monetary donations for the ASPCA or other animal related causes (no PETA).

Yeh, You'll find a slew of those conartists @ PABT.....

Funny thing I got fed up and had the BALLZ to F BOMB their asses so loudly so everyone can hear. If they ask for smokes I laugh in their face then call em trash. If I am in a bad mood I may even smack one or 2. ppl heard me drop the F others were laughing. Then sometimes I will make a spectacle out of em just to humiliate em if I am in a real bad mood. while making other commuters laugh at the beggar's expense.

I saw this guy at Union Square last summer with a sign saying he needed money for marijuana. At least he was being honest about it. Still not giving him

money though lol

I remember last year my mom and her fiancée were talking to me about not judging people and giving me this whole pep talk about karma and how one day I could be in that position. Please...like someone else said a lot of people have ruined it for those who really do need a helping hand, but rather turn to the trains, go to a place where you can really get help.

Funny thing I got fed up and had the BALLZ to F BOMB their asses so loudly so everyone can hear. If they ask for smokes I laugh in their face then call em trash. If I am in a bad mood I may even smack one or 2. ppl heard me drop the F others were laughing. Then sometimes I will make a spectacle out of em just to humiliate em if I am in a real bad mood. while making other commuters laugh at the beggar's expense.

Geez I wouldn't go that far... Unless they're being menacing I see no need to go dropping F-bombs and using physical violence. :tdown: With the economy being bad you do have legitimate people that have fallen on bad times and lost their job. Back on Thanksgiving I had just finished dinner out at one of my Italian spots in Chelsea and I was walking to the subway there in Union Square to get a Metrocard for the express bus. On the way I saw a white guy around my age or younger just looking depressed as hell. I felt horrible because he looked like he just fallen on bad times and it was cold out and all and Thanksgiving, so I pulled out a $10 and put it in his cup. I would've given him more but that's all I had on me since I had used some of it for car service to the express bus coming to the city.

He was clearly upset and started saying how he was a decent guy and had basically fallen on hard times. I told him to go and get himself something to eat. You just never know so don't be so cruel unless it's clear that they're con artists and become rude or are trying to scam.

I usually ignore em or tell em I have no change, if its around the holidays and whatnot or they actually sound good when they're singing or dancing or doing whatever, ill give em some change if I have any or a dollar, but like $1 is the maximum ill give em.

I usually ignore em or tell em I have no change, if its around the holidays and whatnot or they actually sound good when they're singing or dancing or doing whatever, ill give em some change if I have any or a dollar, but like $1 is the maximum ill give em.

Ugh... I HATE when they get on the subway blasting 80s music and hanging from poles and such. :mad: These two white kids got on the subway with this nonsense on the slow (R) nevertheless last Wednesday. I got on at City Hall and was going to Union Square to take the train to Grand Central to go back to my office and they got on maybe two stops later. ;) The train was crowded and here they are jumping all about giving me a headache. Oh and does anyone know what happened to the sandwich people that would ask for change on the (4) and (5) line talking about how they would give free food (i.e. sandwiches or fruit) to anyone who was hungry?

Oh and does anyone know what happened to the sandwich people that would ask for change on the (4) and (5) line talking about how they would give free food (i.e. sandwiches or fruit) to anyone who was hungry?

They still ride the subway. I saw a guy last week on the (J) asking if anyone is thirsty or wanted to eat . He also asked for donations so that the group can continue helping people out. Those are the only people i would give $$$$ to in the subway , as they seem to be helping people out.

They still ride the subway. I saw a guy last week on the (J) asking if anyone is thirsty or wanted to eat . He also asked for donations so that the group can continue helping people out. Those are the only people i would give $$$$ to in the subway , as they seem to be helping people out.

You would think so right? Well just be careful because those folks you see with those boxes on the street, some of them aren't legit. Apparently some of them pocket the money that folks put into the box, so you never know.

Hogwash.

A lot of beggars are people who have done time.... You get physical with them & some of them will flat out phuck yo ass up.... Those are the last people anyone should incite a physical confrontation with.... One (same) reason I minimize any verbal communications with them....

The ones that ask for smokes (cigarettes) or a light (a match, for those that aren't up on slang) pose no threat whatsoever.... Some of those guys use that as a means to open up a line of conversation, on top of simply gettin they smoke on or whatever.... You just get talkative people like that; to me they're cool as hell..... That tactic is no different than asking a woman (you may be interested in) what time it is, while you're waiting for some bus/train or whatever.....

...I will sometimes give dancers some money, as those kids can do some crazy things on those poles.

I came to the realization that some of those dancers that look like kids, aren't really kids... Instead, young looking ex-cons tryna muster up enough money for whatever (and if you ask me, most likely for the same shit that got their asses imprisoned in the first place)

Some weird old lady asked me for a dollar earlier yesterday on Main Street while waiting for the Q27... I just casually pulled a dollar coin from my pocket and handed it off. I was gonna buy an Arizona with that anyway...

My thirst is more important to me than some weird old lady... lol....

I saw this guy at Union Square last summer with a sign saying he needed money for marijuana. At least he was being honest about it. Still not giving him money though lol

I remember last year my mom and her fiancée were talking to me about not judging people and giving me this whole pep talk about karma and how one day I could be in that position. Please...like someone else said a lot of people have ruined it for those who really do need a helping hand, but rather turn to the trains, go to a place where you can really get help.

Not sure if it's the same person you saw, but I also remember seeing some hippie by the "main" entrance of union sq. w/ a sign asking for money for marijuana.... he looked like one of those british jamaicans (either that, or a white guy who just so happened to have dreads).....

...and don't ever let NO ONE (I don't care if it's family) shame you into handing out your hard earned money to some beggar !

I don't tell them what I don't have; I got out of that a long time ago....

(they have it in their minds that you're lying anyway)

I usually nod my head, no.... or wave my hand no (while also nodding my head no).... But if they get indignant or slick-tongued, I sling that shit right back at 'em....

Ugh... I HATE when they get on the subway blasting 80s music and hanging from poles and such. :mad: These two white kids got on the subway with this nonsense on the slow (R) nevertheless last Wednesday. I got on at City Hall and was going to Union Square to take the train to Grand Central to go back to my office and they got on maybe two stops later. ;) The train was crowded and here they are jumping all about giving me a headache. Oh and does anyone know what happened to the sandwich people that would ask for change on the (4) and (5) line talking about how they would give free food (i.e. sandwiches or fruit) to anyone who was hungry?

1) I also hate when those dancers & those instrumentalists get on the same subway car I happen to be in.... The lines you're most prone to seeing them on is on any of the lex &/or any of the broadway lines; you don't see em as much on the 6th or 7th av lines.... They know where the money is at.

You should have seen how angry I got one day when I got off the R @ Queens plz. one saturday, and I saw those mexicans (the ones that get on playing an accordion) countin STACKS while yucking it up, laughing & sayin w/e they were sayin in spanish..... I said under my breath, exactly why I don't give none of you MF-ers nothin....

2) I forget the name of the organization, but yeah, they're still around... they usually work the lex express (4/5) & the 7th av express (2/3) lines.....

Archived