Soliciting Money From People!

1) I also hate when those dancers & those instrumentalists get on the same subway car I happen to be in.... The lines you're most prone to seeing them on is on any of the lex &/or any of the broadway lines; you don't see em as much on the 6th or 7th av lines.... They know where the money is at.

You should have seen how angry I got one day when I got off the R @ Queens plz. one saturday, and I saw those mexicans (the ones that get on playing an accordion) countin STACKS while yucking it up, laughing & sayin w/e they were sayin in spanish..... I said under my breath, exactly why I don't give none of you MF-ers nothin....

2) I forget the name of the organization, but yeah, they're still around... they usually work the lex express (4/5) & the 7th av express (2/3) lines.....

lol... I haven't seen those so called "mariachis" in a while but yeah I don't give them anything either because they're as phony as hell. They want the money (which they think they're entitled to for some reason) and they're not really as grateful as they act. I once asked one of them to play a different song besides the one they normally play and he was rather rude about it, so I said to myself well f*ck you too because you won't get a damn dime from me ever... Some of those Mexicans can be as arrogant and entitled as can it gets. They'll smile in your face and behind your back they're laughing at you and calling you a gringo and every other word they can think of in Spanish. I know because I've seen them in action. There's a laundromat I frequent to pick up dry cleaning or whatever on Forest Avenue and I see them in action. They'll sit there and be talking smack about everybody in Spanish like they're better. The only ones they feel that are on par with them are fellow Mexicans from the "campo" (countryside) or ones from the same region or city as them. Everybody is else is like dirt. When they see me sometimes they'll try to speak low if I'm nearby since they're not sure if I'm Latino or not and I don't let them know that I speak Spanish either this way I get all of the dirt that they like to throw.

I've done that a few times... Pretend like I don't understand what is being said in Spanish and embarrass the person when I make a snide remark in Spanish that lets them know that I heard everything that they said. lol

As for the second point, so they actually have an organization? Seriously I never take them seriously because the ones that get on the train look like they're on something and I don't mean on adrenaline either...

lol... I haven't seen those so called "mariachis" in a while but yeah I don't give them anything either because they're as phony as hell. They want the money (which they think they're entitled to for some reason) and they're not really as grateful as they act. I once asked one of them to play a different song besides the one they normally play and he was rather rude about it, so I said to myself well f*ck you too because you won't get a damn dime from me ever... Some of those Mexicans can be as arrogant and entitled as can it gets. They'll smile in your face and behind your back they're laughing at you and calling you a gringo and every other word they can think of in Spanish. I know because I've seen them in action. There's a laundromat I frequent to pick up dry cleaning or whatever on Forest Avenue and I see them in action. They'll sit there and be talking smack about everybody in Spanish like they're better. The only ones they feel that are on par with them are fellow Mexicans from the "campo" (countryside) or ones from the same region or city as them. Everybody is else is like dirt.

As for the second point, so they actually have an organization? Seriously I never take them seriously because the ones that get on the train look like they're on something and I don't mean on adrenaline either...

- lmao @ askin them to play a different song !!

In sayin that, you actually touched on something I was gonna point out in my last reply... I was gonna say, I think that saaaame song they play is some pre-recorded joint anyway....

About some mexicans.... well I don't wanna start honing in on/raggin on them as a people, but I don't disagree with your assessment though..... I also find them to be very arrogant (even the ones that live in the same exact conditions/neighborhoods as lower class blacks & other hispanics).....

- Those ones that ask for the sandwiches, yeh it's an organization... They would say the name of it, before they would get into their speech out about who they are, and the purpose for why they're asking for food & what not..... It be some white lady doin the talkin, and some person alongside her, either a helper/coworker, or someone in the past that was hard on their luck that's benefitted from the organization....

In sayin that, you actually touched on something I was gonna point out in my last reply... I was gonna say, I think that saaaame song they play is some pre-recorded joint anyway....

About some mexicans.... well I don't wanna start honing in on/raggin on them as a people, but I don't disagree with your assessment though..... I also find them to be very arrogant (even the ones that live in the same exact conditions/neighborhoods as lower class blacks & other hispanics).....

Not even just hispanics and blacks... Everybody... That ish seriously pisses me. I'm like well if you're so much better than everyone else then why come to the U.S. for?? That's another topic I suppose but had to put it out there. As for the song, yeah I know they've practiced it a million times, that's why I was a wise @ss and asked him to play a different song. lol

- Those ones that ask for the sandwiches, yeh it's an organization... They would say the name of it, before they would get into their speech out about who they are, and the purpose for why they're asking for food & what not..... It be some white lady doin the talkin, and some person alongside her, either a helper/coworker, or someone in the past that was hard on their luck that's benefitted from the organization....

Yeah, I never even pay attention to the name because I'm always gawking at the food like what is that? lol Once I think one of them had a P&J sandwich and I was thinking about how nasty it might be for some reason. lol

The best Subway performances have to be the Peruvian flute band, they tend to be in either Penn Station or Times Square, and the Mexican band, these 4-5 guys with traditional mexican suits and instruments they play mexican and spanish music.

I remember seeing those OHS people (I think it means Organization for Homeless Services) with the tall Pringles can wrapped with black paper, but I haven't seen them in a long time, maybe because I'm always in Staten Island, and to be quite frank, I rarely see beggars in SI on the SIR, just the lowlives who get on the bus without paying and not even saying anything to the bus op. Maybe by the ferry I see them but other than the ferry I don't see beggars.

The best Subway performances have to be the Peruvian flute band, they tend to be in either Penn Station or Times Square, and the Mexican band, these 4-5 guys with traditional mexican suits and instruments they play mexican and spanish music.

....exactly the ones I'm talkin about.

I remember seeing those OHS people (I think it means Organization for Homeless Services) with the tall Pringles can wrapped with black paper, but I haven't seen them in a long time, maybe because I'm always in Staten Island, and to be quite frank, I rarely see beggars in SI on the SIR, just the lowlives who get on the bus without paying and not even saying anything to the bus op. Maybe by the ferry I see them but other than the ferry I don't see beggars.

I don't ride the SIR often, but I haven't experienced one beggar on it.... only time I take the SIR is when I fan the x19 or the x23 (from SIR Huguenot).... depending on my mood, I take it to eltingville or to old town.... took it to Grasmere once, and never again....

I saw this guy at Union Square last summer with a sign saying he needed money for marijuana. At least he was being honest about it. Still not giving him

money though lol

Think I saw that guy this winter down there too.

The worst ive seen on the SIRT was these kids riding their bikes up and down the car

The worst ive seen on the SIRT was these kids riding their bikes up and down the car

One time I took the SIR where these 2 dudes took turns skateboarding while the train was moving; I found it funny at the time....

The worst thing I seen while having been on the SIR, was this couple gettin it in... they were doin their thing on one end of the car, and I had got on (and sat at) the opposite end.... odd thing was, they kept at it, like there wasn't a care in the world....

Drug love, basically.

LOL.... Well you haven't been on Staten Island enough because for a while all I was hearing was that the homeless were taking over the ferry terminal on the Staten Island side. Ferry riders were complaining about them getting into fights with each other, defecating all over the ferry (and I do mean everywhere) and basically using the terminal as their personal house. I'm not sure what became of it if the cops stepped in or what but that's the last I heard of it.

Reminds me of last year of when I was walking home from the Auto Show back to the (Q) train home.

So I'm walking down 34th Street, when this white dude stopped me, telling me that he needed X amount of cash to go somewhere back to his family (He didn't say the destination IIRC).

So after a few minutes I see these well dressed dudes with suits on, a bell rings in my head... these dudes most likely have money, probably a six figure salary or something. I tell him to go ask them for money (I honestly can't remember how I worded it) and he wanted ME talk to them for him! WTF?

As I'm walking away I told him I was autistic and don't like talking to people and kept on walking away. Not really autistic I have Aspergers which is not quite the same thing. But the latter part is true lol.

Its funny cause I'm black this is freaking 34th Street and I was dressed like a bum (For 34th Street standards) and this dude stops to ask me for money SMH.

I also remember a time when I was buying a LIRR ticket at NYP, when a homeless dude ask me for some money, I gave him leftover change (It was less than a dollar) from buying the ticket.

You know, I was on my help a person out in need mentality, so why not?

He had a expression on his face like, "this stingy ass dude" While I'm like....

ous19t.jpg

lol... I haven't seen those so called "mariachis" in a while but yeah I don't give them anything either because they're as phony as hell. They want the money (which they think they're entitled to for some reason) and they're not really as grateful as they act. I once asked one of them to play a different song besides the one they normally play and he was rather rude about it, so I said to myself well f*ck you too because you won't get a damn dime from me ever... Some of those Mexicans can be as arrogant and entitled as can it gets. They'll smile in your face and behind your back they're laughing at you and calling you a gringo and every other word they can think of in Spanish. I know because I've seen them in action. There's a laundromat I frequent to pick up dry cleaning or whatever on Forest Avenue and I see them in action. They'll sit there and be talking smack about everybody in Spanish like they're better. The only ones they feel that are on par with them are fellow Mexicans from the "campo" (countryside) or ones from the same region or city as them. Everybody is else is like dirt. When they see me sometimes they'll try to speak low if I'm nearby since they're not sure if I'm Latino or not and I don't let them know that I speak Spanish either this way I get all of the dirt that they like to throw.

I've done that a few times... Pretend like I don't understand what is being said in Spanish and embarrass the person when I make a snide remark in Spanish that lets them know that I heard everything that they said. lol

You guys aren't the only ones who think that most Mexicans are just super-arrogant (the part in bold). Most latinos (me & my family included) really despise Mexicans b/c of that- their arrogance and the way they flaunt it really pisses most latinos off, whether it's Ecuadorians, Colombians, or Peruvians. The same goes to the Dominicans, Uruguayans and Argentineans, but to a lesser extent (on their levels of arrogance). The thing where it really explodes, though, is soccer. But that's another story.

Not even just hispanics and blacks... Everybody... That ish seriously pisses me. I'm like well if you're so much better than everyone else then why come to the U.S. for?? That's another topic I suppose but had to put it out there. As for the song, yeah I know they've practiced it a million times, that's why I was a wise @ss and asked him to play a different song. lol

Yeah, I never even pay attention to the name because I'm always gawking at the food like what is that? lol Once I think one of them had a P&J sandwich and I was thinking about how nasty it might be for some reason. lol

The thing is though, that's exactly what most other latinos ask them. Why the crap did you come to the U.S. if Mexico is just so great?

The best Subway performances have to be the Peruvian flute band, they tend to be in either Penn Station or Times Square,

The thing is, they aren't Peruvian. They're mostly Ecuadorian, and they play really good. The music they play is where my parents are from: from la Sierra (the Valley) part of Ecuador, and most them come from the City of the Cuenca, which is where my parents are from. It's one of the few aspects that I'm actually proud of Ecuador, since that country is so freakin' corrupt....

I remember there was a 'Peruvian band' like every day I took the (L) at Union Sq back in 2000. It's like clockwork they are there or something.

I don't ride the SIR often, but I haven't experienced one beggar on it.... only time I take the SIR is when I fan the x19 or the x23 (from SIR Huguenot).... depending on my mood, I take it to eltingville or to old town.... took it to Grasmere once, and never again....

Why is that? The walk is too long down to Hylan Blvd? Or you don't like dealing with the S53?

LOL.... Well you haven't been on Staten Island enough because for a while all I was hearing was that the homeless were taking over the ferry terminal on the Staten Island side. Ferry riders were complaining about them getting into fights with each other, defecating all over the ferry (and I do mean everywhere) and basically using the terminal as their personal house. I'm not sure what became of it if the cops stepped in or what but that's the last I heard of it.

Well, I've seen a few there. I mean, it's only natural since people throw out food and they can get a meal by looking through a trash can, but I haven't seen a ton of them. They probably come in there at night when it's cold.

I heard that they kick everybody out of the terminal at night, and then let them in 15 minutes before the ferry departs, so the homeless don't have time to loiter.

Why is that? The walk is too long down to Hylan Blvd? Or you don't like dealing with the S53?

Well the former is a factor, but....

It's the undesirables/shady lookin characters that tend to hang out at that station (entrance) @ times...

I'd rather cut my losses in taking the SIR to old town & walk it out to the S79 from there.....

If Grasmere was as close to hylan blvd like old town is, I would get off there... due to the fact that it would double my chances at catching a bus back to brooklyn (S53/79) walkin down to hylan/clove....

only thing about old town is crossing hylan @ old town rd... I've missed the S79 on a couple different occasions waiting for the light to change....

Fear not, they are still around on the (F) every few weeks. I never trusted those guys, but one time they were on the train and there was a homeless guy sitting, and the OHS guy (who was pretty sketchy looking) pulled a sandwich out of his bag and gave it to the homeless guy, who ate it all up. I gave a dollar in that case, since they did at least some real charity work with that money.

LOL... I used to get annoyed but now I usually either have fun with it or give them the look of death and they know not to even approach me. Occasionally some of them have balls and do though. The subway is bad but the Port Authority is the worse! I used to get NJ Transit tickets for the express bus over by the ticket booth and there is always one hanging out over there.

I think the whole NYC Subway system is worse for panhandling. At least in the 300-326 series gates, I rarely get approached by anyone and the transient population seems to have migrated elsewhere. There used to be "regulars" that sat on the seat by gate 303 and I rarely see them.

Ugh... I HATE when they get on the subway blasting 80s music and hanging from poles and such. :mad: ... The train was crowded and here they are jumping all about giving me a headache. Oh and does anyone know what happened to the sandwich people that would ask for change on the (4) and (5) line talking about how they would give free food (i.e. sandwiches or fruit) to anyone who was hungry?

Agreed. I was recently on an (A) train from 145 Street to 59 Street and from that whole time, 3-5 perps get on and start performing and was swinging over people. Seriously, if that happened and I get touched someone is going to spend time in Rikers.

I've seen them or a similar group on the (2) a few months ago.

The idiots who ride or hang out on the SIR are in a class of their own and the level of fare evasion/ disrespect for transit workers on Staten Island local buses is astounding. The MTA Police should be on bus patrol and at the Eltingville Transit Center, too often I see packs of officers (at times up to 6) in one car of the SIR hanging out.

Yeah, SI kids are rotten when it comes to riding the buses. I've been on school trippers from Tottenville High School and CSI High School and the kids there aren't so bad...but I've been on the S46 (lowlife bus) with school kids getting on the bus and it's a whole different story. :tdown:

Yeah, SI kids are rotten when it comes to riding the buses. I've been on school trippers from Tottenville High School and CSI High School and the kids there aren't so bad...but I've been on the S46 (lowlife bus) with school kids getting on the bus and it's a whole different story. :tdown:

lol... I don't know what's with the school kids on Staten Island, but they love to tear up those buses. :mad: The S54s I get on are just a mess. Brand new buses torn up like that. Doesn't help that Castleton doesn't clean them either. They put their tags or whatever nonsense on them.

Well the former is a factor, but....

It's the undesirables/shady lookin characters that tend to hang out at that station (entrance) @ times...

I'd rather cut my losses in taking the SIR to old town & walk it out to the S79 from there.....

If Grasmere was as close to hylan blvd like old town is, I would get off there... due to the fact that it would double my chances at catching a bus back to brooklyn (S53/79) walkin down to hylan/clove....

only thing about old town is crossing hylan @ old town rd... I've missed the S79 on a couple different occasions waiting for the light to change....

Yeah, I've used the SIR a few times out of curiosity and I would have to agree that the Grasmere station is sketchy and run down to boot which doesn't help. A few years ago a guy was shot there. Some dude tried to mug him and he wouldn't give up his wallet or whatever so in the struggle he got shot. :(

Well, I've seen a few there. I mean, it's only natural since people throw out food and they can get a meal by looking through a trash can, but I haven't seen a ton of them. They probably come in there at night when it's cold.

I heard that they kick everybody out of the terminal at night, and then let them in 15 minutes before the ferry departs, so the homeless don't have time to loiter.

Yeah, usually at night is what I've heard too... I think so many people were throwing a fit that they had to do something because they were literally camping out there and the place was becoming unhygienic.

You guys aren't the only ones who think that most Mexicans are just super-arrogant (the part in bold). Most latinos (me & my family included) really despise Mexicans b/c of that- their arrogance and the way they flaunt it really pisses most latinos off, whether it's Ecuadorians, Colombians, or Peruvians. The same goes to the Dominicans, Uruguayans and Argentineans, but to a lesser extent (on their levels of arrogance). The thing where it really explodes, though, is soccer. But that's another story.

The thing is though, that's exactly what most other latinos ask them. Why the crap did you come to the U.S. if Mexico is just so great?

lol... I got Latino friends from all over the Caribbean and South America as well. I've met some cool Mexicans mainly from D.F. and they weren't arrogant at all. I think most of the Mexicans that come here are from the campo and so maybe the arrogance comes from being in small towns that aren't really all that diverse. Country folks regardless of what country they're from tend to be a bit more closed since they aren't used to a diverse group of folks and also less educated, so that's what it could be. On the flip side though most of the Dominicans from Santo Domingo that I've met have been very arrogant while ones from say Santiago or that come from the campo are much cooler, so it's hard to say what it is exactly, but part of is the who mestizo aura in Mexico. I had a Mexican friend that would catch so much crap because he was lighter so he wasn't accepted as well. When I Spanish major we studied Mexico in depth. It's a very complex country full of contradictions in many ways, so this of course wouldn't be any different.

As for the Argentinians, I don't know, but yeah I've met several and they can be arrogant, though some that I met while traveling in Italy were okay. They're not arrogant in a rude way, but I know what you mean. I have a friend who loves to practice his Italian with me whenever I hang out with him (he has some Italian, Spanish & Romanian mix with an Italian last name :)) and a few other friends from South America (Colombia and Chile respectively) and he expects me to speak to him in Italian, but he refuses to speak to me in Spanish or at least not at first anyway. He's like no no no, no Spanish! Italian! lol He's really cool guy though, but I think with the Argentinians they just have that in them. Probably because everyone soups up their head about how European Argentina is and such, even though they do have a mixed population (albeit a small one indios, negros, etc.) but those groups have for the most part blended into the more European population (mainly Spanish (from Spain), Italian and some German and some English here and there), though you still have some areas I suppose.

I have a few Ecuadorian and Venezuelan friends as well that are cool. :cool:

lol... I don't know what's with the school kids on Staten Island, but they love to tear up those buses.:mad: The S54s I get on are just a mess. Brand new buses torn up like that. Doesn't help that Castleton doesn't clean them either. They put their tags or whatever nonsense on them.

It gets pretty bad here in the Bronx with the school kids too. They are like wild beasts on the buses and subways cursing each other, yelling, ETC. They mess up the new buses here pretty quickly with tags and scratching up the windows. Ungrateful I tell you. :tdown:

------

On topic, I never give out any money to panhandlers but I will give them food. I remember one time I was in a Chinese take-out place picking up food when a guy and three kids came in. He comes up to me and says that he was going through though times (which appeared to be true judging by the way they were dressed) and that if I can help him get some food. I agreed because he never asked me for money and because his kids were really hungry. (I don't like seeing little kids starve) He ordered what he and his kids wanted and I paid for it. They thanked me and I left.

It gets pretty bad here in the Bronx with the school kids too. They are like wild beasts on the buses and subways cursing each other, yelling, ETC. They mess up the new buses here pretty quickly with tags and scratching up the windows. Ungrateful I tell you. :tdown:

------

On topic, I never give out any money to panhandlers but I will give them food. I remember one time I was in a Chinese take-out place picking up food when a guy and three kids came in. He comes up to me and says that he was going through though times (which appeared to be true judging by the way they were dressed) and that if I can help him get some food. I agreed because he never asked me for money and because his kids were really hungry. (I don't like seeing little kids starve) He ordered what he and his kids wanted and I paid for it. They thanked me and I left.

Yeah I've done that too. This Hispanic guy asked me to get him some food once. At first I gave him the brush off before he could even finish and then he got upset because I didn't let him finish, so since I said fine and basically asked him what his story was and since he seemed sincere and honest about. I took him to a diner, gave the lady at the counter some money and told her to let him get what he wanted and left. He was thanking me so much and actually hugged me as he was on the verge of tears. :eek: He didn't look really in bad shape or anything, but apparently he had hit a rough spot. It's all about how I'm approached I suppose and what sort of mood I'm in.

I remember once I was eating in that plaza there where the Trump Hotel is there near Whole Foods by Columbus Circle and this white middle aged lady comes near me pretending like she's looking at the statue so I'm thinking what in the world is she up to? :) I had a sandwich, some grapes, a side and a bottle of Perrier with me. I had put the side near me while getting my sandwich and she was trying to reach to get my side. :mad: She managed to touch it but I snatched it up and told her to get lost. :mad: Then she got all sad and I'm thinking Jesus man here I am eating from Whole Foods and she's clearly hungry so I went over to her and asked her if she wanted the side and she gladly took it. I was probably more annoyed by her trying to steal my lunch, so I was a bit hungry afterwards, but I thought it was for a good cause. She may have mentally challenged too looking at her.

After that I went down to the subway to come back to the office and there was a black guy there and I'm thinking now imagine if you gave him your sandwich? I would've been left with grapes and water for lunch. :( He certainly was in bad shape and after the episode with the lady I probably would've given it to him.

One time I took the SIR where these 2 dudes took turns skateboarding while the train was moving; I found it funny at the time....

The worst thing I seen while having been on the SIR, was this couple gettin it in... they were doin their thing on one end of the car, and I had got on (and sat at) the opposite end.... odd thing was, they kept at it, like there wasn't a care in the world....

Drug love, basically.

If they got on or off at Prince's Bay, then they are what we amongst the train crews here call "Methodonians". I had these two kids do that on my train in Tottenville while I had my layover. She needed to wash her cooch cause she left my train reeking of smelly fish.

If they got on or off at Prince's Bay, then they are what we amongst the train crews here call "Methodonians". I had these two kids do that on my train in Tottenville while I had my layover. She needed to wash her cooch cause she left my train reeking of smelly fish.

lol... For lack of a better term... :)

Archived