Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With USDOT Crackdown on Chinatown Bus, I wonder if it's possible NICE Bus could be next since there's lots of safety violation and ADA violation.

What ADA violations?

Might I also refresh your memory that (MTA) LIB had how many buses fail a DOT inspection? IMHO if the (MTA) was an over the road carrier and this many buses failed a DOT inspection it would have been shut down. Also I believe this many buses in a fleet failing inspection should be grounds for the federal or state DOT to step in, review the (MTA) and mandate ALL (MTA) buses now be required to have DOT inspections.

During the bus crackdown/inspections after the word wide tours bus crash, could you also imagine if the NYS DOT also inspected (MTA) LIB buses? What do you think they would have found by a surprise inspection considering they KNEW buses were going to be inspected and so many buses still failed!?!

With USDOT Crackdown on Chinatown Bus, I wonder if it's possible NICE Bus could be next since there's lots of safety violation and ADA violation.

What ADA violations?

I'll use an example. The bus operators are supposed to make announcements on the bus stops (major ones) before they are passed, so people have the chance to request. (MTA) city bus operators use the Speakeasy and are required to use them on any bus that is equipped. NICE bus operators don't have that luxury, and none of them make announcements themselves, and when the Clever Devices aren't operating, they're not fulfilling ADA requirements by making announcements. And riders have already complained to NICE about this. That's why NICE is working to fix the Clever Devices up.

I'll use an example. The bus operators are supposed to make announcements on the bus stops (major ones) before they are passed, so people have the chance to request. (MTA) city bus operators use the Speakeasy and are required to use them on any bus that is equipped. NICE bus operators don't have that luxury, and none of them make announcements themselves, and when the Clever Devices aren't operating, they're not fulfilling ADA requirements by making announcements. And riders have already complained to NICE about this. That's why NICE is working to fix the Clever Devices up.

When wheelchair lift/ramps gets broken on NICE.

LOL how is this any different than under the (MTA) days, except for a reason for people to nit pick Veolia? My subway train didn't have announcements on them going to and from my destination today... Uh oh...At least NICE is working on it though, I guess..

What does this have to do with the stretch FamousNYLover made about the DOT shutting NICE down for " lots of safety violation and ADA violation. "

What's the safety violations? ...and lots?

Apparently it did.

I bet it was an Orion V too. Probably stalled out as it couldn't make it over the incline of the grade. Many of them are just shot. Even the 1600s, had one today that did 0-20 in one minute. Perhaps Nassau should get a waiver so the buses dont have to stop at RR crossings, because they may not start up again... :o

What ADA violations?

Might I also refresh your memory that (MTA) LIB had how many buses fail a DOT inspection? IMHO if the (MTA) was an over the road carrier and this many buses failed a DOT inspection it would have been shut down. Also I believe this many buses in a fleet failing inspection should be grounds for the federal or state DOT to step in, review the (MTA) and mandate ALL (MTA) buses now be required to have DOT inspections.

During the bus crackdown/inspections after the word wide tours bus crash, could you also imagine if the NYS DOT also inspected (MTA) LIB buses? What do you think they would have found by a surprise inspection considering they KNEW buses were going to be inspected and so many buses still failed!?!

The question is are NICE Buses now able to pass inspection? And do the inspections actually look at the condition of the engine, and whether it runs well or not?

Saw 1785 on the N15 on Sunrise. It's not that rare for RVC buses to end up in MF territory but for the opposite to happen on a weekday is weird.

It seems they are sharing buses. And it's said that NICE is on short buses. They don't have enough buses drivers show up and there are no buses and have to wait until one comes in from service.

The question is are NICE Buses now able to pass inspection? And do the inspections actually look at the condition of the engine, and whether it runs well or not?

Pine Power, all of the buses in NICE service have passed a DOT inspection. Like every bus and truck (some exemptions apply like the (MTA) ) have to pass a DOT inspection. Have you seen the sticker on the windshield? Those are DOT inspection stickers, think of it as an inspection sticker on your car. The difference this isn't your local mechanic at your local shop doing the inspection, NYS DOT inspectors actually come and inspect the vehicle when it's time comes due. From my experience working for two diff. school bus companies is that the company (or district in 1 of 2 of my experiences) takes the bus out of service a couple of days before the DOT inspection and mechanics go over it with a fine tooth comb. Anything can make a bus fail inspection from minor to major...

A DOT inspection is a safety inspection NOT a mechanical evaluation.

Drivers are required to do a pre trip at the beginning of every day, now this is a test where the drivers checks and swares (by signing one document or another) that the vehicle is safe. There are many components of the test, I'll spare you all of these details but keep in mind only over the road drivers are required to check the engine compartment. However the DOT understands these are drivers not mechanics so it's mainly the a visual to make sure you spot any oddities. Local bus drivers are not required to lift the hood, they are required to make sure the bus is mechanically sound, again the DOT understands these are drivers not mechanics. Also keep in mind the mechanical problems your talking could very easily not be noticed until the driver gets up to speed after leaving the yard. If the problem occurs while in service, what can you do? Things break sometimes a mechanic could spot a problem before it happens sometimes things just happen.

Now can a buses pass a DOT inspection and still be a POS mechanically? Of course! I'm sure you've seen Atlantic Express around the Island (people who are used to AE in NYC might not realize they are worse in Nassau County). Have you seen the mini buses repainted grey? Those are mechanic buses, they go out in them and fix broken down buses on the fly to get them back to the shop. Have you seen the tires on the front bumpers? They are for pushing when all else fails. ;). They are also for pushing buses out of intersections. lol

Now the DOT has the right to inspect vehicles on the road, if going on road trips I'm sure you've seen weigh stations? The DOT can inspect the vehicle and the driver, and put one or both out of service for various reasons.

Speaking of Atlantic Express I've been told its. it uncommon for them to have run ins with the DOT. I was even told the DOT showed up at outside the yard of one of AE locations that serves Nassau checking drivers and buses. Another time I heard they sat outside a yard and asked drivers to see their pre-trip report, drivers who rolled out of the yard w/o filling it out yet got a citation.

When the DOT wants to play they can play! Uou think they're hardasses in NY, you should see the DOT in other states like Indiana & Ohio, those guys don't mess around!

It seems they are sharing buses. And it's said that NICE is on short buses. They don't have enough buses drivers show up and there are no buses and have to wait until one comes in from service.

Well, at least its not that they're short on drivers like it was at the beginning of the year.

Well, at least its not that they're short on drivers like it was at the beginning of the year.

Yeah we could use some of those loaner buses we had back in Dec tho. I dunno how much they are worth but the MTA could lease them to NICE until the 3G's come in.

Yeah we could use some of those loaner buses we had back in Dec tho. I dunno how much they are worth but the MTA could lease them to NICE until the 3G's come in.

A lot of those buses that were loaned to Long Island were sent right to Eastchester the day they left Long Island.

Don't you think NICE could save money leasing buses from a sister company? Or using buses owned by Veolia?

I'm sure Veolia could have buses in here to be used by next week (if they really are short on buses) and Veolia could have the problems the posters here speak of fixed up within weeks, but it costs money.

It all goes back to what Joel Upfront said in the the post above mine!

Veolia is working on broke down beat up equipment that has beat on for years, this would be the same whether it's Veolia, MV, or First...

http://longbeach.pat...us-delays-train

See link for image of bus on tracks

I was about to post this lol...the other bus should have been able to push the bus off the tracks with no problem. We do it all the time. The bumpers just have to be the same height off the ground. A couple weeks ago 3886 ran out of fuel on 117th and first. We grabbed 3888 and pushed 3886 all the way back to the depot..

1605 has got to be the worst sounding bus I've ever heard, let alone ride. Every time the bus is going over 25mph and the driver steps on either pedal, a very, very loud whine/growl comes from the engine. Think loud and less defined Prevost acceleration.

Driver turned off the A/C midway, no difference. Bus did not appear to be lacking acceleration, though.