Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not if their cars are impounded.

That def would stop them!  However, (as I understand it) the State or County Cannot seize a car with a lien on it .  The problem I have with that is it creates a 2 sets of standards for those who own their car out right and those who owe a bank (or whoever) or lease a vehicle.  I think that it is wrong that two people could commit the same crime but one person is punished harsher because he/she owns their car out right, justice is supposed to be equal.

Anybody tried the N4 express?

Sweet commute. It took 20 minutes just to get to Merrick/Hook Creek. I'm taking it again tomorrow on my way to Suffolk County.

I did that 17:25pm n4x Express Freeport #1824 and it was nice and smooth ride since I informed n4 riders about new express service few days ago which departed 2 minutes late at 17:27, suppose to arrived Freeport Station at 18:14, arrived 18:19, 5 minutes late.

I was planning for first 4:25pm out of Jamaica Center, but City Council Public Hearing including other building plan and Willets Point Proposal took from 10:00~15:30pm, so after quick whole food run via M9 bus, I took slow  (J) train from Chambers St to Jamaica Center and got to Jamaica Center before 5:10pm n4 Local leave.

n4 riders were wondering why NICE DID NOT PUT SERVICE NOTICE TO INFORM WHERE n4X Express stop.

All they did was put up stickers and scanimages at the n4x stops.

Edited by TDXNYC88

Scrolling Hanover sign:

*Not my video

Well, I'll give points for the novelty factor. You certainly don't see that style on transit bus destination signs around here.

But that's probably for a good reason. Aside from use (briefly) at terminals or at stops where the bus has a long dwell time, it doesn't strike me as practical. (Could you imagine having that style of signs on the N15 or N25, which also feature multiple roads that the bus traverses?). Ideally, I'd think that destination signs should have the final destination visible permanently or otherwise have a very prominent place in a cycle. Otherwise, what's the point of having destination signs? As a fashion statement?

Like a quick release, a quick sound like the driver pulled or released the parking brake?  If I'm thinking of what you describing it is the system releases air which also expels moisture and debris from the system.  But we could be talking about two different things here...  

I hear this sometimes on my school's buses, especially the International bus that's used for the morning shuttles.  It stopped, and while I was waiting for a chance to get on, I heard the air release but the driver never activated the brake.  I know because there are four status lights on the front of the bus (1 is door open, 2 is door open and bus is in Park, 3 is 1 and 2 plus the air brake is on, I think 4 means something's wrong with the engine) and only the first light was on.  I have to find a recording of an Orion used by NICE for a better example, but the sound is kind of hard to pick up on a camera.

So Ed Mangano is out as County Executive. What will be the future of public transportation in Nassau County?

Either way I doubt the new elect (if there is one) would go and revert to the MTA again. Not a high priority I imagine.

Besides, it rather redundant to do that in such a short amount of time. It'd be easier to invest more resources in NICE if the county chooses to do so.

There are "re-elect mangano" signs all over.  Instead of cutting taxes, Mango, why not actually try raising money?  I don't see Suozzi doing anything and the buses here are still dodged like they're the plague, on and off the road.

Yea and these signs are HUGE!  I agree about raising money but you have to understand the average narrow minded home owner in bot Nassau and Suffolk...  "Not in my back yard" AND "I have my piece of the pie now (home ownership, car, job) and now that I have it, NOTHING should raise my taxes."  Nassau and Suffolk are insane, almost as insane as the people I see on the news who chose to live in the city but are on the news complaining about anything that makes noise, or bitching about anything because it will cause traffic and/or noise on their street...  Uh, why'd you choose to live in MANHATTAN if you don't like traffic, noise, or foot traffic genius? 

I hear this sometimes on my school's buses, especially the International bus that's used for the morning shuttles. 

Do you go to school at Stony Brook?  I'm thinking about getting my masters there and wondering about their bus system, I'd love to drive a bus for them part time just so I could drive a bus while I'm getting my masters.  I know I have seen job postings for bus driver at Stony Brook for bus driver, I'm wondering if they also hire students to drive thier buses as many other colleges/universities allow their students to drive for the the university bus system.  I think it would be unfair if this was only civil service and the students weren't allowed to drive part time, don't you think?

There are "re-elect mangano" signs all over.  Instead of cutting taxes, Mango, why not actually try raising money?  I don't see Suozzi doing anything and the buses here are still dodged like they're the plague, on and off the road.

Mango lowered taxes lol

Do you go to school at Stony Brook?  I'm thinking about getting my masters there and wondering about their bus system, I'd love to drive a bus for them part time just so I could drive a bus while I'm getting my masters.  I know I have seen job postings for bus driver at Stony Brook for bus driver, I'm wondering if they also hire students to drive thier buses as many other colleges/universities allow their students to drive for the the university bus system.  I think it would be unfair if this was only civil service and the students weren't allowed to drive part time, don't you think?

Call the school up and ask.  At OW, a student who graduated a couple of years ago drove the shuttles every once in a while, while working part-time.  I think he found a teaching job (he wanted to be a high school teacher, he told me) because I haven't seen him since last semester.

Call the school up and ask.  At OW, a student who graduated a couple of years ago drove the shuttles every once in a while, while working part-time.  I think he found a teaching job (he wanted to be a high school teacher, he told me) because I haven't seen him since last semester.

Nah, it would be nice if getting my masters there but in retrospect I probably wouldn't have time with school and work to fit that in on the side.  According to seethroughNY Stony Brook bus drivers make about $68,000, not too bad, is hound still looking for a job? lol