Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Only bus with 1840's and aboves have Spanish turning announcement. 1500s, 1600s, 1700s only have English turn announcement if turning announcement is working.

Yes, just like how those buses have an older CD/announcement system in general.

Older buses have the IVN2, the 3Gs have the IVN3 which is GPS enabled, has the more "human" voice, color touchscreen and so on. We could see the IVN3 installed in the remaining fleet once BusTime is purchased unless they do upgrades adding GPS equipment and BusTime capability/software to the IVN2s.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, just like how those buses have an older CD/announcement system in general.

Older buses have the IVN2, the 3Gs have the IVN3 which is GPS enabled, has the more "human" voice, color touchscreen and so on. We could see the IVN3 installed in the remaining fleet once BusTime is purchased unless they do upgrades adding GPS equipment and BusTime capability/software to the IVN2s.

Aren't there already GPS in the NG's and the V's? It was used for tracking purposes, but failed under the MTA, Veolia says they were trying to fix it. I think the devices were labeled Orbital?

PinePower, on 29 May 2013 - 6:30 PM, said:

Aren't there already GPS in the NG's and the V's? It was used for tracking purposes, but failed under the MTA, Veolia says they were trying to fix it. I think the devices were labeled Orbital?

Oh yes, they had the Orbital OrbCAD (CAD/AVL) system to WMATA and a bunch of other TAs. Clever Devices supplied the auto announcements and AVM (vehicle diagnostics) since Orbital didn't do that on their own. The OrbCAD system is GPS based but the Clever Devices system is not. I don't think the 3Gs have the Orbital system since the IVN3 is GPS based and supports CD's own CleverCAD system. The Orbital system will probably be replaced when CD BusTime is purchased, once all the CD units are GPS-enabled they'll probably start using CleverCAD in place of OrbCAD.

Orbital/CD CAD/AVL is basically tracking for use by dispatch and management, not customers, but both offer . At the time Clever Devices made no CAD/AVL system which is why Orbital's was used.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

Oh yes, they had the Orbital OrbCAD (CAD/AVL) system similar to what WMATA and a bunch of other TAs use. Clever Devices supplied the auto announcements and AVM (vehicle diagnostics) since Orbital didn't do that on their own. The OrbCAD system is GPS based but the Clever Devices system is not. I don't think the 3Gs have the Orbital system since the IVN3 is GPS based and supports CD's own CleverCAD system. The Orbital system will probably be replaced when CD BusTime is purchased, once all the CD units are GPS-enabled they'll probably start using CleverCAD in place of OrbCAD.

Orbital/CD CAD/AVL is basically tracking for use by dispatch and management, not customers, but both offer BusTime-like solutions, CD obviously being the more popular one and the one NICE is probably going with. At the time Clever Devices made no CAD/AVL system which is why Orbital's was used.

I'm so out of it today (again), that post had a little messed up grammar lol. Gonna do a little fixing up in the quoted post.

Anyway, the Orbital system is probably not what NICE is "fixing up", it's an outdated system and the company that currently owns it (ACS Xerox) has made little improvement to it. In fact I can see them selling that division to Clever Devices similar to how they bought Digital Recorders last year. CD BusTime is used much more than Orbital/ACS' product, it's regularly updated, and IMO it's just a much better system overall. And again, as far as I know there is no Orbital equipment in the 3Gs since there is already GPS in those buses (IVN3). I don't even know if the Orbital system is used at all anymore, even on the older buses.

NICE Employement used n27 picture, which is very bad on weekends.

If NICE cannot extend n27 Weekend to/from Roosevelt Field Mall, we need more n23 short turn trips.

N27 should just go back to Roosevelt field period otherwise it shouldn't bother running on weekends. People use it for Roosevelt field take it away from there and the ridership goes byebye. As proven this past year.

I'd like to see members of the LIBRU go without utilizing NICE services for one week, or even a day.

To me, someone utilizing transportation from an agency that is being protested against by the very same individual seems to be very hypocritical.

N27 should just go back to Roosevelt field period otherwise it shouldn't bother running on weekends. People use it for Roosevelt field take it away from there and the ridership goes byebye. As proven this past year.

Yeah ridership on the n27 weekends took a huge hit, the "Shuttle to Nowhere" is rarely more than 25% full! I have a feeling alot of ppl from Glen Cove switched to the LIRR, or had friends drive them to Roslyn for the n23.

Yeah ridership on the n27 weekends took a huge hit, the "Shuttle to Nowhere" is rarely more than 25% full! I have a feeling alot of ppl from Glen Cove switched to the LIRR, or had friends drive them to Roslyn for the n23.

--censored--

Edited by Brett
Censored by Brett.

I wanted to do a throwback yesterday, and I forgot to post it, but here it is:

Going back to 3/14/2008 when this happened in Garden City at Old Country Rd & Wetherill Street to LI Bus #136

308613987.jpg

308614005.jpg

308614050.jpg

308614102.jpg

308614099.jpg

308614094.jpg

308614084.jpg

308614070.jpg

308614262.jpg

308614265.jpg

308614270.jpg

Today, 10:30 n4 Freeport #1786 almost broke down because of rear door issue started after Rockaway Av stop. Some people aren't listening to bus operator, so male B/O had made sign and at red light, he went to back and put sign on rear door, "DOOR IS NOT WORKING." And after that, he went back to his driver's seat just in time for green light.

Edited by FamousNYLover

I really want to make a "hot bus" comment but the Veolia Squad will vote the post down. 

I would've laughed, as I am now...  HAHAHA "hot bus."  Besides this was an (MTA) bus at the time so why would the "Veolia squad" have a problem with that comment?

Although, I think Brett is lying, he said this happened in 2008 under (MTA) LIB, but how could that be?  We've been told over and over in this forum that bad things like this don't happen under the (MTA) because their maintenance was far superior. 

Is there a reason I haven't been on an NG or later with working AC?  The Vs seem to be doing fine, even if it is a massive drain on already tired engines.

I've been on very warm NG's, but assumed it was because the driver and majority of passengers immigrated from Country's with very warm climates where they think a 80+ degree bus is actually comfortable.

I wanted to do a throwback yesterday, and I forgot to post it, but here it is:

Going back to 3/14/2008 when this happened in Garden City at Old Country Rd & Wetherill Street to LI Bus #136

308613987.jpg

Holy shit, if that happened under NICE Pine would've been here with smoke like that coming out of his head bitching that this happened NICE maintenance sucks and that this would've never happened under (MTA) LIB...

I would've laughed, as I am now...  HAHAHA "hot bus."  Besides this was an (MTA) bus at the time so why would the "Veolia squad" have a problem with that comment?

Although, I think Brett is lying, he said this happened in 2008 under (MTA) LIB, but how could that be?  We've been told over and over in this forum that bad things like this don't happen under the (MTA) because their maintenance was far superior. 

Holy shit, if that happened under NICE Pine would've been here with smoke like that coming out of his head bitching that this happened NICE maintenance sucks and that this would've never happened under (MTA) LIB...

And I knew you'd interpret it as a Veolia attack when at least three of those old Cummins powered Orion Vs caught fire in the early 2000s.

I've been on very warm NG's, but assumed it was because the driver and majority of passengers immigrated from Country's with very warm climates where they think a 80+ degree bus is actually comfortable.

And so do a lot of (MTA) employees, but that doesn't mean they didn't try turning it on.  One even told me that the A/C in the NGs was automatic and that they couldn't really do anything about it.

Edited by Joel Up Front

And I knew you'd interpret it as a Veolia attack when at least three of those old Cummins powered Orion Vs caught fire in the early 2000s.

How in the blue hell did you interpret this as me interpreting this as an attack on Veolia?  I would love to know the thought process in this one...

And so do a lot of (MTA) employees, but that doesn't mean they didn't try turning it on.  One even told me that the A/C in the NGs was automatic and that they couldn't really do anything about it.

Relax.  I said over and over last year that the experience I've had with transit buses is that a censor turns the AC on and off, on borderline warm days the AC won't start itself, the only way is to turn it on is in the engine compartment.

What I said is an observation and I don't know why you got bent out of shape about it?  I was sitting on a bus the other day so hot, all windows closed (inducing drivers window), and there was even a dude wearing a sweater, as the bus easily reached over 85, thank go I was only going a short distance!

I really want to make a "hot bus" comment but the Veolia Squad will vote the post down.  Is there a reason I haven't been on an NG or later with working AC?  The Vs seem to be doing fine, even if it is a massive drain on already tired engines.

If you know the answer, why are asking in the first place? 

Edited by Burrstone

@Brett: Impossible! The LIB would never let maintenance so down that things like this could've happened. Edit: Like Burrstone also pointed out btw lol.

@theaveragejoe: Veolia Squad? Wth does Veolia have to do with an LIB bus from way before Mangano was even thinking about Veolia?

Edited by Vistausss

I can't even make a comparison without the Veolia Internet Defense Force coming in, for God's sake.

What the hell are you talking about?  Anyone mentions Veolia and you fly off the handle, over sensitive much?

You still didn't tell me how you interpreted my first comment on this topic as me interpreting this as an attack on Veolia?  You were the one who started the conversation insinuating the "Veolia Squad" was going to freak on you if you made a joke about a (MTA) bus catching fire 5 years ago.

I'm tired of you freaking out like a little girl whenever someone talks shit about Justin Beiber whenever someone mentions Veolia or points out how the " (MTA) Is and Was Our Savior Squad"  would've been all over Veolia if the same situation happened under Veolia.

Edited by Burrstone

What the hell are you talking about?  Anyone mentions Veolia and you fly off the handle, over sensitive much?

You still didn't tell me how you interpreted my first comment on this topic as me interpreting this as an attack on Veolia?  You were the one who started the conversation insinuating the "Veolia Squad" was going to freak on you if you made a joke about a (MTA) bus catching fire 5 years ago.

I'm tired of you freaking out like a little girl whenever someone talks shit about Justin Beiber whenever someone mentions Veolia or points out how the " (MTA) Is and Was Our Savior Squad"  would've been all over Veolia if the same situation happened under Veolia.

I don't think anyone's even mentioned him on the forum before, but I don't really care either way.  You already know that I'm pissed at the service here period, so back off.

Edited by Joel Up Front

Just because you're pissed off at the service doesn't mean you have to fly off the handle whenever someone says anything non negative about Veolia/NICE.  Sorry you're pissed about the service but people should be able to to discuss Veolia/NICE in the Nassau Inter County Express section, even if they dare not to bash NICE and or Veolia.

Transdev actually has some money problems at the moment and the problem is increasing. You can thank the terrible government of my country for it. Hopefully it won't impact NICE in anyway... I guess not since this is on the European related but still. But if they invest right now then the problem will be less at the end of the year.

Anyway, I agree with Burrstone. NICE is doing the best they can and is improving service like with the new JB service for example. They already have a tight budget and problems with the traffic lights so give them some slack, averagejoe! LIB would've done it worse. Don't attack every positive NICE guy, everyone has the right to have an opinion.

Edited by Vistausss