Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Alright yes, what I did was a bit unsafe by having one hand on the wheel and the other recording a video. But I had done it before and knew how to do it safely (for the most part). Two wrongs don't make a right, but that NICE driver had passengers in his bus that he was putting at risk by doing other things whereas I was the only one in my car.

You giant hypocrite, :lol: .

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to turn this into a big thing but everyone thinks they're safe until one time they're not, yea you only had one hand off the wheel but I feel it is the distraction that is more dangerous.. Yes the NICE driver had passengers on board, but as I pointed out professional drivers have more training and way more time maneuvering the vehicle than you do.  Yes stupid on part of the NICE driver, but I feel professional drivers might use the phone, but stop the bad action at times they know will be dangerous.  Your average driver will do something dangerous at a dangerous time, let try to record a bus while passing a bus, while he knows the driver of that vehicle is distracted.  You see my point, right? 

I don't want to turn this into a big thing but everyone thinks they're safe until one time they're not, yea you only had one hand off the wheel but I feel it is the distraction that is more dangerous.. Yes the NICE driver had passengers on board, but as I pointed out professional drivers have more training and way more time maneuvering the vehicle than you do. Yes stupid on part of the NICE driver, but I feel professional drivers might use the phone, but stop the bad action at times they know will be dangerous. Your average driver will do something dangerous at a dangerous time, let try to record a bus while passing a bus, while he knows the driver of that vehicle is distracted. You see my point, right?

By the way, did you know this incident could jeopardize your future with NICE, Brett?

And thats exactly why I posted the incident here instead of reporting it directly to NICE, which I'm not going to do. I am, however, gonna leave the photo and video online and posted here because I want to. For all we know, NICE may never look here. And if they do, it may be too late because you can't see the driver's face clearly in the photo and they may not know who was driving that day anymore...

And I do not think this hurts my chances for a summer job at NICE because they're desperate for drivers. Every few days now (more often than ever), NICE posts on their Facebook page that they're looking for drivers.

I've never heard about the 15mph rule before...

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/35764-speed-thread-nyc-bus-edition/page-3?do=findComment&comment=553242

And thats exactly why I posted the incident here instead of reporting it directly to NICE, which I'm not going to do. I am, however, gonna leave the photo and video online and posted here because I want to. For all we know, NICE may never look here. And if they do, it may be too late because you can't see the driver's face clearly in the photo and they may not know who was driving that day anymore...

You have the license plate and bus number. Shouldn't be too hard to find....

You have the license plate and bus number. Shouldn't be too hard to find....

Those won't help NICE know who was driving the bus that day a couple of months of now when they see the photo. Their records may not go back so far. And who knows how often somebody currently working in administration for NICE checks this forum....

Edited by Brett

I'm not posting any of this to be a dick, just want to point out how dangerous it is and keep you safe  Get dash mounted holder for your camera, I bought a holder that fits everything, that sticks to my windshield for under $20 in chinatown...  Just a suggestion.  

And I do not think this hurts my chances for a summer job at NICE because they're desperate for drivers. Every few days now (more often than ever), NICE posts on their Facebook page that they're looking for drivers.

How old are you?  How much longer until you can work for NICE?  

I'd strongly suggest having experience otherwise you'll have Pine and Yuki to ruin your day, critiquing your driving skills.

Those won't help NICE know who was driving the bus that day a couple of months of now when they see the photo. Their records may not go back so far. And who knows how often somebody currently working in administration for NICE checks this forum....

Don't all drivers have a camera on them?  Couldn't you call in with the time and the bus number?  I'm sure these are kept for a long time because of legal purposes?

I'm not posting any of this to be a dick, just want to point out how dangerous it is and keep you safe  Get dash mounted holder for your camera, I bought a holder that fits everything, that sticks to my windshield for under $20 in chinatown...  Just a suggestion.  

It's so much better to have my iPhone in my hand recording because I can face it in any direction quickly in case anything happens immediately.

How old are you?  How much longer until you can work for NICE?  

I'd strongly suggest having experience otherwise you'll have Pine and Yuki to ruin your day, critiquing your driving skills.

18. To be a NICE driver, you have to be 21. I plan on going for my CDL the summer before I turn 21 when I'll apply to NICE. They can critique all they want, but I am a good driver when it comes to being on the road. Pinepower doesn't get on the driver's nerves when it comes to NICE, he just talks about it here and Yuki is 28 and doesn't have a job, so who's the more responsible one here...

Don't all drivers have a camera on them?  Couldn't you call in with the time and the bus number?  I'm sure these are kept for a long time because of legal purposes?

Yes,  the 3Gs have cameras on them, and NICE only looks at the footage if there is an incident or accident involving the bus or the B/O. I could call it in, but like I said above, I'm not gonna report him because it wouldn't be right.

It's so much better to have my iPhone in my hand recording because I can face it in any direction quickly in case anything happens immediately.

Until you get into an accident.  ;)

18. To be a NICE driver, you have to be 21. I plan on going for my CDL the summer before I turn 21 when I'll apply to NICE. They can critique all they want, but I am a good driver when it comes to being on the road. 

Says the guy who decided to focus some of his concentration getting a video while he passed a bus, knowing the driver was also distracted.

LOL no offense but talk about how great of a professional driver you will be before you're trained and actually start driving buses  What you do in your car is nothing like driving a bus.  Just focus on learning not how good you are before you even do it, that's how people get cocky and get into minor accidents.  I've had friends who tell me how easy the written test is (who never took it).  I tell them to study the CDL manual twice, no need to pay a school to help you get your permit (passing the written test).  They tell me how easy the test is going to be, and how dumb you'd have to be to fail it.  I see them little down the road, ask if they got their permit, they tell me they failed and my reply is like "that''s awkward."

BTW, Brett how is your driving record now?  Keep it clean!  I cannot stress that to ANYONE!  I know people who wanted get their CDL to either driver a bus or a truck (especially when the economy went bad!).  They get their mind made up that is going to be their new career and they quickly realize that no one is going to hire them bc they messed up their driving record being young and dumb.  

Until you get into an accident.  ;)

Says the guy who decided to focus some of his concentration getting a video while he passed a bus, knowing the driver was also distracted.

LOL no offense but talk about how great of a professional driver you will be before you're trained and actually start driving buses  What you do in your car is nothing like driving a bus.  Just focus on learning not how good you are before you even do it, that's how people get cocky and get into minor accidents.  I've had friends who tell me how easy the written test is (who never took it).  I tell them to study the CDL manual twice, no need to pay a school to help you get your permit (passing the written test).  They tell me how easy the test is going to be, and how dumb you'd have to be to fail it.  I see them little down the road, ask if they got their permit, they tell me they failed and my reply is like "that''s awkward."

BTW, Brett how is your driving record now?  Keep it clean!  I cannot stress that to ANYONE!  I know people who wanted get their CDL to either driver a bus or a truck (especially when the economy went bad!).  They get their mind made up that is going to be their new career and they quickly realize that no one is going to hire them bc they messed up their driving record being young and dumb.  

You don't need to tell me that. Driving a bus is nothing like driving a car, but you do need basic driving skills of a car in order to drive a bus if you think about it. I'm prepared to study to get my CDL, I know there's things to learn.

I come from a family whose parents were speeders and got several tickets in their lifetime, as well as one accident. My driving record is clean. No tickets, no accidents, no violations, nothing. A clean CDL license, good driving skills and good social skills is key to being a good bus operator. I'm not looking to get a career at NICE, just a little experience there.

Well, to be fair: PinePower has become more objective in the last weeks and even so, it was only occasionally that I heard him rant about drivers skills in the past. Yuki and the rest of LIBRU are the ones who mostly complain about drivers skills.

Well, to be fair: PinePower has become more objective in the last weeks and even so, it was only occasionally that I heard him rant about drivers skills in the past. Yuki and the rest of LIBRU are the ones who mostly complain about drivers skills.

now you know why I just laugh at yuki everytime he complains him and those clowns at LIBRU are just a laughing stock.

n2/8 riders will lose transfer to/from n25 after June 23rd schedule change.

They will only have n6 local and n6x express.

If it was up to me, I will had n2/8 go up New Hyde Park Rd from Hempstead Turnpike to Tulip Av, then back to Convent Av, so people wouldn't lose transfer to n25 bus.

I got email from one of Great Neck Business.

I have three gmail. One for library, meet up, facebook, and library meeting.

My second account for NICE Bus Issue.

My third account for Nuclear and Fracking issue.

To Whom it May Concern,

This is an urgent request from the NICE Bus riders/passengers regarding the complications with bus departure timings. The bus N26 departing from Great Neck Bus Terminal - Jamaica at 5:00 PM is causing many difficulties for the people leaving their work post 5:00 PM. Most of the passengers leave their work at 5:00 PM and miss their bus due to the set departure time, 5:00 PM; and there is no other bus departing after this time period. This leads to many difficulties such as having to change too many buses to reach the destination post missing the bus (N26) and certain weather conditions such as snow storms or heavy rain causes abundant amount of complications. Also, people are highly inclined towards getting injured in the rush and pressure. So, it is our urgent request to you to please have the departure time set at least 15 minutes later (5:15 PM) to reduce the amount of difficulties that local passengers go through post their exhausted day from work and mental pressure of missing their bus. 

Sincerely,
 NICE Bus Passengers

From Passenger

Good morning,

Following case:

Outward journey at 10:30h with n19 from Seaford to Freeport LIRR.
Two adults, two MetroCards, each paid $ 2.50.
Arrival 10:50h; connection to n43 at 11:00h with each “1x Transfer OK”
OK, no problem. Fine.

Journey back (same itinerary) to Seaford we had to pay twice though!
Took the n43 from Roosevelt Field Mall at 16:15h, it had 10 minutes delay and arrived at 17:00h at Freeport LIRR.
Took the next avail. n19 (towards Babylon) which left at 17:30h, but the machine deducted another $ 2.50 each and no transfer.
So no transfer on the inward journey.

Observation: the bus was labeled n19 on the outside, but the audio-voice inside (each time the door opened) was “n6 via Hempstead Turnpike to Hempstead”.
Could this be the reason why we had no free transfer? Misconfiguration of the device?

n2/8 riders will lose transfer to/from n25 after June 23rd schedule change.

They will only have n6 local and n6x express.

If it was up to me, I will had n2/8 go up New Hyde Park Rd from Hempstead Turnpike to Tulip Av, then back to Convent Av, so people wouldn't lose transfer to n25 bus.

I got email from one of Great Neck Business.

I have three gmail. One for library, meet up, facebook, and library meeting.

My second account for NICE Bus Issue.

My third account for Nuclear and Fracking issue.

From Passenger

This is why it's cheaper to get an Unlimited metrocard!!!

Bus turning.  Autobús girando.

The announcement on the older buses is so much more annoying... "CAUTION THIS VEHICLE IS MAKING A TURN"

Can't wait for them all to get the new Clever Devices like the 3Gs so those don't play anymore.