Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Sunrise Highway is especially bad.  Whenever I cross that street, I actually have to signal to people that I'm in the crosswalk... and if that doesn't suit them, another signal from in between my index and ring fingers comes up.  Where do the people here come up with the idea that when they drive, no one will ever be in the crosswalk or trying to cross the street?  People here are more than happy to cut off a bus going slower than them but God forbid someone try to cross the street!

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But in all seriousness, where the hell are people getting their licenses?  Was I misinformed about what to do during a road test when I turned 17?  It sure as hell seems like it, because drivers here have gotten a lot worse since then...

Just because you learned to do something doesn't mean you do it. Road tests only need to be taken once (something I don't like).

But seriously, in my HS driver education class's practical portion, I don't think I ever encountered non-student pedestrians crossing. Instructors like to keep students away from pedestrian hubs as much as possible for their own liability. So the only instruction we received was a couple mentions in a book. This isn't NYC where pedestrians are everywhere you go.

Look at the NICE logo below the 2nd passenger window. Notice its not one of those white pieces of wrap with the NICE logo printed on it just slabbed onto the bus. This looks like its a cut out decal kind of (or maybe the usual white part is transparent)?

IMG_0163-1.jpg

From: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/41314-do-you-like-buses/

Oh why oh why do those NICE buses have to suffer damage everday? Oh woo is me! PREACH IT BROTHA.

LOL

I came within a foot of being hit by an SUV in Bellmore last week crossing Sunrise Highway at Bellmore Ave. I was on the E side of the intersection crossing south. I had the walk sign, but the left turning cars kept going despite the green arrow going off, and some woman in an SUV went thru and cursed at me, and came within a foot of hitting me. She drove off and I couldn't get a clear photo of the license plate. Later that week I noticed the same problem, once the left turn arrow goes off, the cars turning from s/b Bellmore to e/b Sunrise keep going, resulting in alot of honking from n/b traffic. The motorists here are the worst, and they are getting even more worse. Almost everyday there are near misses on the bus. Motorists often like to pull out in front of the bus at driveways, or cut off the buses as they pull out of bus stops. As far as that turn with the n22, it's dangerous because the n22 has to get all the way over to the left and impatient motorists try to cut it off, then there's the left turn onto W.John which has alot of s/b traffic to contend with and a short green arrow. The n22 stop could be moved farther south under the tracks (where the n24 & n79 stop) to give more time for the bus to get over. But the combination of dangerous motorists and some of the worst traffic signals in the nation make things bad for buses. I see the red light cameras going up everywhere but they dont address the other issues with motorists. Also messed up traffic lights make motorists even more impatient. The traffic lights and cameras should be controlled from a central location, to help with traffic flow and spot dangerous motorists before they cause an accident.

I love the idiots like the lady you described, and always encounter them when I have nothing to throw.  Honest to god, I know you'll probably get sued but next time put something through her back windshield!  She'll regret she ever cursed at you for daring to cross legally, go to court when she sues you and make your defense that she attempted to assault you with he automobile, you probably won't win but maybe you'll scare her off with your answer to her complaint and counter claim.  Or at the scene you could always ask for her insurance information, call her insurance company offer to pay for the glass in payments, ask them how much it is going to cost them when this kills someone in the same situation, lie and tell them you subpoena'd the camera at the intersection, remember this women name and when she is on the news for killing someone in an intersection you'll personally deliver the video to the lawyer who is suing the insurance company for millions (and that video would ensure a multimillion dollar pay out by the insurance company).  LOL  I guarantee after that conversation the insurance will not charge you for the windshield and will probably drop her coverage for being too much of a risk after that. 

Sunrise Highway is especially bad.  Whenever I cross that street, I actually have to signal to people that I'm in the crosswalk... and if that doesn't suit them, another signal from in between my index and ring fingers comes up.  Where do the people here come up with the idea that when they drive, no one will ever be in the crosswalk or trying to cross the street?  People here are more than happy to cut off a bus going slower than them but God forbid someone try to cross the street!

You're right, Sunrise HWY is especially bad one of the worst!  Either people aren't looking because they are too busy with their phones or they don't care and will risk your safety because they want to go.

I think the light at intersections on Sunrise HWY should be resigned so that if a pedestrian hits the cross button all cars have a red while the pedestrian has a walk sign. 

Just because you learned to do something doesn't mean you do it. Road tests only need to be taken once (something I don't like).

But seriously, in my HS driver education class's practical portion, I don't think I ever encountered non-student pedestrians crossing. Instructors like to keep students away from pedestrian hubs as much as possible for their own liability. So the only instruction we received was a couple mentions in a book. This isn't NYC where pedestrians are everywhere you go.

True people forget things they learned but driving is a privilege and forgetting shouldn't be an excuse, this isn't NYC but this isn't Kansas either their are people walking all over the place.  The truth is people driving don't give a shit about pedestrians, there time is more valuable than a a pedestrians drivers will make a pedestrian wait because a car will always win and you have to yeild the right of way if you don't feel like dying. 

I was going to use the example of would bus drivers be allowed be to start flying over RR tracks, but when I think about the cops wouldn't do anything, allow the bad behavior, wait for a tragedy, THEN some politician will pull a PR stunt getting his/her face on the news  as he/she "vows" to crack down on this so no tragedy happens again.  How about enforcing the laws in the first designed to keep us safe!?!  Ironically most of these laws were put on the books because of tragedies, but everyone forgets about them until the next tragedy!

Edited by Burrstone

They should use those, uhm, nail beds (?). You know, those things police uses when chasing someone to demolish their tires. Make those things come up out of the ground when it's red and back in the ground when it's green. That'll show 'em.

Spike strips?  I'd love to see those those, too, but I'd rather not have something end up on fire because the idiot who ran over them didn't know that a bare wheel was dragging along the pavement and that sparks from said wheel ignited something.  People here don't even know that their car's exhaust system is absolutely struggling or that their car's brakes are absolutely cooked; I don't trust them with not running me over even when I know there's a traffic light or stop sign there.

A lot of times when buses have to make left turns, the left turn lane on the street they're trying to get on is in their way, so a lot of times buses have to force people to move back or at least out of the way.  A prime example of this is in Hempstead, on Jackson and Clinton Streets, where the 46-49 and 70-72 make a left to get to the terminal.  There have been instances where people actually back up a good ten feet so that buses can actually make the turn safely, but that's rare.

This one time I went to GameStop and took the N4 back, I got off in Lynbrook near the station using the back door and this nice old man actually stopped and waited for the bus to merge back into the lane.  There was a line of 5-6 people paying in cash, so the bus operator had to wait and this insufferable **** pulls up and starts honking.  She keeps her hand on her horn rather than getting into the other lane...

Spanish riders does complaint about n21 and n27 bus.

Today, on 4:40pm n27 Glen Clove, I did actual paper petition to restore weekend n27 to/from Roosevelt Field Mall and n21 back. 22 people signed petition against NICE to extend n27 and full n21 service. No lies. One english speaking Spanish told me n21 in Glen Clove are heavily used according to them.

I'll used apple store at 5th Av/59th St. (I'm at Glen Clove Library).

I'm at library waiting for last 6:35pm n21 Flushing for the day. My laptop is out for repair, so I'm going to every libraries in Nassau County accessible by NICE Bus and Apple Stores in Long Island and NYC.

Edited by FamousNYLover

I'm at library waiting for last 6:35pm n21 Flushing for the day. My laptop is out for repair, so I'm going to every libraries in Nassau County accessible by NICE Bus and Apple Stores in Long Island and NYC.

So that means no daily LIBRU story for a while? :(

I have 39 signatures and one passenger on 16:40 n27 Glen Clove wrote comment.

"The time sequence for some of the buses is OFF many of us passengers are complaining and will be in the future.

1. Why do we have to flag a bus down to stop to pick us up at a bus stop?

2. Why when you come at night from Mineona Bus terminal get to Hempstead terminal N41- 10:30 pull in Hempstead Terminal?

N16 and N27 are leaving instead of waiting for passenger who need these buses to get home.

MTA was much more accurate with there passengers and time Frames.:

I will be complaining." from Ms. Anymounous.

I haven't heard about the June 23rd schedule changes, but if its anything notable, it may be announced at the public meeting at NICE's Mitchel Field Depot on June 18th.

Also, I'm seeing less and less of the Orion V CNGs. I had to Port Washington today and going back and forth on Northern Blvd, all I saw were NGs and 3Gs, mostly 1700s and the 3Gs (Not many of the 1800 NGs).

I have 39 signatures and one passenger on 16:40 n27 Glen Clove wrote comment.

"The time sequence for some of the buses is OFF many of us passengers are complaining and will be in the future.

1. Why do we have to flag a bus down to stop to pick us up at a bus stop?

2. Why when you come at night from Mineona Bus terminal get to Hempstead terminal N41- 10:30 pull in Hempstead Terminal?

N16 and N27 are leaving instead of waiting for passenger who need these buses to get home.

MTA was much more accurate with there passengers and time Frames.:

I will be complaining." from Ms. Anymounous.

2 I dunno about that but 1: seriously? That's the usual behaviour. You're at the bus stop, you see the bus coming, you flag and the bus stops. I can't remember it ever being any different than that (except maybe in rush hour on a known crowded bus stop).

Aside from that, if he/she wants an actual reason, it's because it would slow the bus down for no reason if somebody wasn't waiting for the bus and the bus had to stop anyway. (Whether they're waiting for another bus, or not waiting for a bus at all).

In most cases, though, buses will at least slow down when passing the stop even if nobody flags it down.

At Jericho Whole Food stop, Columbia Drive, II was waiting for 4:33pm n20l Flushing at 4:20pm after trying out Vegan Blueberry Muffin from Whole Food. It was suppose to be there 4:38-4:40pm, but never showed up. When next one came at 5:05pm, I asked if he was 4:53pm and he said yes, so 4:33pm n20l Flushing WAS MISSING!!

June 23rd schedule changes are up:

http://nicebus.com/Passenger_Information/June_23rd_Schedule_Changes/index.html

June 23rd Schedule Changes

NICE will make schedule changes on multiple routes on Sunday, June 23, 2013. The majority of these changes are very small timetable adjustments. Starting June 24th, the n2/8 will revert back to its 2012 route along Covert Avenue, and will no longer travel to Franklin Square along Hempstead Turnpike.

NOTE: The following schedules only take effect on June 23rd, 2013. Click any route below to download a timetable pdf.

Affected Weekday Routes:

n1   n25   n51

n2/8   n26   n57/58

n15   n31/32   n70/71/72

n19   n35   n78/79

n22/A/L/X   n40/41

Affected Saturday Routes:

n2/8   n15   n43

n4   n23   n48/49

n6   n33   n54/55

Affected Sunday Routes:

n15   n33   n40/41

There's Great Neck Passengers complaining about last 5pm n26 Jamaica should leave at 5:15pm because people leave exhauting day of work at 5pm.

And I bet you're complaining for them on the NICE Facebook page, right!? No wonder NICE ignores alot of stuff you post on their page...

There's Great Neck Passengers complaining about last 5pm n26 Jamaica should leave at 5:15pm because people leave exhauting day of work at 5pm.

Depends on how many passengers that is. You can't please everyone but if it's quite a bunch complaining than they should complain directly at NICE. The more people that complain directly, the bigger the chance they will look into it.

Furthermore I agree with Brett, although I guess that was pretty obvious given the rep vote.