Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

NICE and most operators don't care about being green, it's about saving $$$, wich CNG does.

New Flyer Industries at one point produced a CE40LF for San Diego Metropolitan Transit System. And the most recent model was a CNG/Electric Hybrid Eco Saver IV manufactured by Designline, which is emerging from bankruptcy.

Though in all honesty I'm under the impression such vehicles aren't ready for a large operation, mainly given that there hasn't been a large demand for them in the sector.

I highly doubt NICE will order from DesinLine (if they're even still taking orders with the bankruptcy) after the mess with the NJT order.

In any event, I believe you are right it appears technology is not their yet for CNG hybrid, especially not for a large order.  It seems the technology is in a testing faze, the question people have to ask is if an operator wants a big order where they have 40-80 buses they (or the manufacturer) keeps having to take out of service to fix (or update) over 10-12 years, when the idea is to save money, investing in a technology that is not there yet is ironic to say the least.

It would be cool to get some CNG hybrid test buses to test and help the technology with that, but an order?  Not unless the manufacturer is paying NICE to test the technology, IMO.

Well, the only ones *I* know (currently) making Hybrids in/for the USA (be that either on request or as an actual model) are:

-New Flyer

-Novabus

-NABI

-Van Hool

But as Turbo19 points out: there's not been a huge demand for Hybrid buses. Even here in Europe demand for actual hybrids is low.

They're talking about hybrid CNG not hybrid diesel buses...

(in reference to NICE using CNG transit buses)

I hope it stays that way.

Considering NICE has CNG fueling facilities at MF and RVC, are not gonna pay to convert them to diesel with a fleet of current CNG buses, , and that they put out a bid for a new CNG fueling facility at MF, combined with the lower of CNG over diesel I say it;'s safe to bet it will stay that way (CNG). :)

Question why did nice go cheap and buy 28 dodge caravan.I no I mentioned something similar in another post

Because there's low demand for (some) able-ride routes and they needed to cut down on the costs, both the route costs and the gas costs. So they bought something green that meets demand.

As Vistausss pointed out there is not as much of a demand needing the vans/buses on the International truck chassy, it will be a smother ride for the passengers, feul costs will be lower, maintenance will be lower, and mini vans can be used on the highway (saving time).

Not sure if anyone saw the Nassau Co. Exec debate on WCBS & WLNY yesterday but Suozzi looked like a deer in the headlights. Had several opportunities to address transportation issues when Mangano spoke of transit hubs, he could've said "hey Ed if you want transit friendly downtowns why are you not putting more money into NICE?" but he didn't. Suozzi blew it and lost my vote period. 

So you voted for Mangano bc Suozzi didn't mention transit funding even all you know/bitched about Mangano's lack of funding for the past couple of years?  Interesting..

As far as the debate, buses aren't winning them the vote, it's all about taxes in Nassau.  Who's gonna offer the lower the taxes to the NIMBY'ers who .only give a shit about lowering taxes and paying as little as possible for their piece of pie (and less every year as they don't need the services aks "f*ck everyone else"), how would've it went for Suozzi to talk about increasing funding for bus service?  Pay more taxes?

Mango beat Suozzi tonight, so don't expect any greater NICE funding anytime soon..

I wasn't expecting it even if Suozzi was voted in, so...  lol

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

didn't he screw the long island bus system?

Suozzi?  Define screw over?  Before Suozzi became an "MTA guy" Suozzi battled long and hard saying Nassau was paying (MTA FOR Long Island Bus) too much, getting little in return, and that the MTA's overhead was crazy (aka MTA eas keeping more and the actual "system" was getting little).

You could also use this link also.

Long Island Bus Riders Union has 2 incident report forms.

LMAO why should anyone fill out a complaint with the LIBRU over NICE!?!  What can the LIBRU union do besides forward it to NICE?

On NICE Bus facebook page, PinePower and I not that only ones complaints about bus service.

See the review. One of rider's complaint got deleted again by NICE Bus.

Facebook, for any business, is a marketing tool.  I'm not sure what you think Facebook is or why any company would leave up anything negative....

Huge traffic mess today in the Roslyn/Greenvale area. The n27 was running anywhere from 20-45 min late, not sure if this was affecting the n23 or not but those 27s were pretty crowded and I bet alot of ppl waiting in the cold in Roslyn.

Glen Cove road was pretty backed up too. Never heard anything on 1010 WINS or 880 about an accident. I never bother with the shuttle and took the n20, and it was 35 min late going to Hicksville.

Funny thing is it was the same bus I had leaving Hicksville earlier just after 4pm, and once in Hicksville later it turned into an n24 which according to schedule is supposed to leave 6:53pm, but didn't until 7:20pm.

Not sure what January's schedules will bring but I'm hoping for the n27 situation to be resolved once and for all, all they need is one more bus on that route and 2 buses can provide hourly service between RF & Glen Cove. 

Brett do you have any further info?

They're working on the January schedules now, this was posted on the NICE F/B page.

1424573_670899279608444_1723727290_n.jpg

Huge traffic mess today in the Roslyn/Greenvale area. The n27 was running anywhere from 20-45 min late, not sure if this was affecting the n23 or not but those 27s were pretty crowded and I bet alot of ppl waiting in the cold in Roslyn.

Glen Cove road was pretty backed up too. Never heard anything on 1010 WINS or 880 about an accident. I never bother with the shuttle and took the n20, and it was 35 min late going to Hicksville.

Funny thing is it was the same bus I had leaving Hicksville earlier just after 4pm, and once in Hicksville later it turned into an n24 which according to schedule is supposed to leave 6:53pm, but didn't until 7:20pm.

Not sure what January's schedules will bring but I'm hoping for the n27 situation to be resolved once and for all, all they need is one more bus on that route and 2 buses can provide hourly service between RF & Glen Cove. 

Brett do you have any further info?

They're working on the January schedules now, this was posted on the NICE F/B page.

---

Speak of n27, I took myself challenge today again.

This time I took 10:50 n6 Hempstead #1652 bus, which was Orion V Green, which every time good female bus driver turns the bus, somehow, HORN KEPT HONKING, but she was not touching the horn. Every motorists in front of her, even MTA Bus Driver was staring at her while she was honking. She radio in dispatcher about this bus.

Suppose to arrive Hempstead 11:40, arrived 11 minutes late at 11:51.

I gave copy of missing person Avonte Oquendo flier to one of Nassau County Taxi drivers, then  Kennedy Fried Chicken.

After stopping at Greyhound/Trailway Office got trailway schedule booklet, and our 12:25 n23 Manorhaven #1715 on 2 minutes late, arrive Roslyn Station ontime at 13:19.

Next, while I waited for 13:27 n27 Glen Cove, I gathered petition from English and Spanish commuters and they eagerly signed petition to restore n27 to Roosevelt Field Mall.

I used Spanish Direct translator.com to translate my n27 petition into Spanish.

Our 13:27 n27 Glen Clove #1734 was good male driver who knows me. I gathered more signatures along the route, which was 10 minutes late, and suppose to be Pratt Blvd/Bridge St at 13:51, but arrived late 14:02.

Our 13:54 n27 Roslyn Station #1734 didn't leave until 14:07, and traffic on Glen Clove Rd, suppose to arrived Roslyn Station at 15:20, but we arrived 15:32, which we missed 15:00 n23 Hempstead connection that came in 15:31, so we were forced to wait about 56 minutes for n23 Hempstead bus, which our 15:03 n23 Hempstead #1859 was suppose to arrive at 15:11, but show up at 15:18.

Total "Weekend n27 Restoration" signatures were over 29 signatures from English and Spanish community riders.

PinePower, I found out Spanish riders they do complaint about bus. Some of English riders who speaks Spanish translated petition for me because online translation is not very good.

Arrived at Roosevelt Field Mall at 15:49, 4 minutes late from 15:45.

Our 15:30 n22 Jamaica #1719 suppose to arrive 15:55, but showed up at 16:07, suppose to arrive 165th St Terminal at 16:50, but arrived 17:04.

Speak of n27, I took myself challenge today again.

This time I took 10:50 n6 Hempstead #1652 bus, which was Orion V Green, which every time good female bus driver turns the bus, somehow, HORN KEPT HONKING, but she was not touching the horn. Every motorists in front of her, even MTA Bus Driver was staring at her while she was honking. She radio in dispatcher about this bus.

Suppose to arrive Hempstead 11:40, arrived 11 minutes late at 11:51.

I gave copy of missing person Avonte Oquendo flier to one of Nassau County Taxi drivers, then  Kennedy Fried Chicken.

After stopping at Greyhound/Trailway Office got trailway schedule booklet, and our 12:25 n23 Manorhaven #1715 on 2 minutes late, arrive Roslyn Station ontime at 13:19.

Next, while I waited for 13:27 n27 Glen Cove, I gathered petition from English and Spanish commuters and they eagerly signed petition to restore n27 to Roosevelt Field Mall.

I used Spanish Direct translator.com to translate my n27 petition into Spanish.

Our 13:27 n27 Glen Clove #1734 was good male driver who knows me. I gathered more signatures along the route, which was 10 minutes late, and suppose to be Pratt Blvd/Bridge St at 13:51, but arrived late 14:02.

Our 13:54 n27 Roslyn Station #1734 didn't leave until 14:07, and traffic on Glen Clove Rd, suppose to arrived Roslyn Station at 15:20, but we arrived 15:32, which we missed 15:00 n23 Hempstead connection that came in 15:31, so we were forced to wait about 56 minutes for n23 Hempstead bus, which our 15:03 n23 Hempstead #1859 was suppose to arrive at 15:11, but show up at 15:18.

Total "Weekend n27 Restoration" signatures were over 29 signatures from English and Spanish community riders.

PinePower, I found out Spanish riders they do complaint about bus. Some of English riders who speaks Spanish translated petition for me because online translation is not very good.

Arrived at Roosevelt Field Mall at 15:49, 4 minutes late from 15:45.

Our 15:30 n22 Jamaica #1719 suppose to arrive 15:55, but showed up at 16:07, suppose to arrive 165th St Terminal at 16:50, but arrived 17:04.

I see NICE lied to me when they said they'd have spare buses available in case of missed connections at Roslyn at the community meeting I went to in Hicksville. This is by and far their biggest blunder and they should have fixed it by now. It's BS they have not restored the n27 to RF on weekends with THREE PHASES OF ENHANCEMENTS this year. Do post what happened to you on their Facebook. I bet that n23 going back was packed, unless some decided to take the LIRR. This is why I call it a useless shuttle because thats exactly what the n27 is on weekends. I will forever be  :angry: with NICE over this, absolutely no reason unless you want to just abandon Glen Cove riders on weekends. If they dont fix this in January I'm bringing this up at the next TAC meeting...they keep saying they're trying to fix the times but the n27 & n23 are traffic prone routes, this arrangement doesn't work and hasn't worked since April 8 2012.

Edited by PinePower

I see NICE lied to me when they said they'd have spare buses available in case of missed connections at Roslyn at the community meeting I went to in Hicksville. This is by and far their biggest blunder and they should have fixed it by now. It's BS they have not restored the n27 to RF on weekends with THREE PHASES OF ENHANCEMENTS this year. Do post what happened to you on their Facebook. I bet that n23 going back was packed, unless some decided to take the LIRR. This is why I call it a useless shuttle because thats exactly what the n27 is on weekends. I will forever be  :angry: with NICE over this, absolutely no reason unless you want to just abandon Glen Cove riders on weekends. If they dont fix this in January I'm bringing this up at the next TAC meeting...they keep saying they're trying to fix the times but the n27 & n23 are traffic prone routes, this arrangement doesn't work and hasn't worked since April 8 2012.

Even thought male bus driver friend say it wouldn't work. Our good bus driver friend told me that petition wouldn't work because republican Ed Mangano won the election, but only good thing Nassau County Carrie Solages win the re-election.

Last time, I went to TAC meeting, I was coming out from Oyster Bay Train and n27 Hempstead was waiting for train gate to open, so I was dangerous forced to cross under the LIRR Gate in front of train, even thought it was illegal looking both way, but I didn't want to miss TAC meeting. Good thing I was wearing Orange Reflector and LIRR Employees thought maybe I was an LIRR employee trying to catch n27 bus and n27 driver opened door for me.

Tom Suozzi was at Puppymill Protest in Bellmore on the 19th calling on Gov Cuomo to stop abused of Dog Puppymill.

I didn't know he was there until Long Island Orchestrating for Nature told me who spoke. I hardly didn't recognize him that he was right in front of me during the picture taking time.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Is it just me or do Glen Cove riders really don't want to vouch in on this? They were quite to NICE all the time about the n27 but now even on Yuki's petition? I mean, I'm all in for n27 to RFM on weekends but 29 people is not that much if we go by the petition alone. More of those people need to speak up.

@PinePower: What did NICE say exactly? There are spare buses for missed connections on weekends? Or in general? Plus, something could've happened which prevented the spare bus from coming in. Not trying to be a fan boy, just trying to understand the situation :)

Petition is not finish yet. I'm trying to get more signatures on weekdays before next TAC Meeting.

Speaking off spare buses:

NYCT Buses provide extra buses when one of their buses broken down or heat problem.

Bee-Line buses provide extra buses when bus is broken down and if extra buses are available.

Suffolk County Transit buses provide extra buses when their buses broke down.

Most riders who signed petition comes from Glen Cove.

Edited by FamousNYLover

@Yuki: With this I'm not sure if it's a Transdev thing but it does seem to be a hit or miss in my city (which operator is also owned by Transdev). Before Transdev kicked in, most of the time they would send a replacement bus. But since the takeover, it depends on where the bus breaks down. The closer the bus is to a depot when it breaks down, the bigger the chance they'll send a replacement.

I do like the fact that Bee-Line and SCT do send out replacements (and NYCT). That's very good to hear! :)

Is it just me or do Glen Cove riders really don't want to vouch in on this? They were quite to NICE all the time about the n27 but now even on Yuki's petition? I mean, I'm all in for n27 to RFM on weekends but 29 people is not that much if we go by the petition alone. More of those people need to speak up.

@PinePower: What did NICE say exactly? There are spare buses for missed connections on weekends? Or in general? Plus, something could've happened which prevented the spare bus from coming in. Not trying to be a fan boy, just trying to understand the situation :)

They told me at that meeting that spare buses would be available in case connections were missed at Roslyn. Obviously that is not the case. Not wanting to go too much off subject here but I think the lack of outrage from Glen Cove riders has to do with their inability to speak english. Look at how fast they responded to n6 & n6x complaints...so it's obvious NICE isn't getting enough complaints. Probably why they restored the n21 all day weekdays and not the n27 on weekends.

Uhm, Yuki's petition is translated to Spanish and still not many people signed it there. That's what I was talking about. They should sign it and let NICE know they want their service, else NICE will still not know it's an important route. But luckily Yuki doesn't give up after 1 day of petitioning.

But alright, I'll hear ya about the spare buses. If that happened more than once than I would go on Twitter and ask NICE politely about why they didn't stick to their promise.

Petition is not finish yet. I'm trying to get more signatures on weekdays before next TAC Meeting.

Speaking off spare buses:

NYCT Buses provide extra buses when one of their buses broken down or heat problem.

Bee-Line buses provide extra buses when bus is broken down and if extra buses are available.

Suffolk County Transit buses provide extra buses when their buses broke down.

Most riders who signed petition comes from Glen Cove.

Even Suffolk WOW that's sad. Will you just abandon the n27 already they don killed it's usefulness but then again LIRR is infrequent so yeah.

QTJ, little off-topic that some poor people or senior citizens don't want to paid for train if they missed n23 and n27 connection. They wait every hour when they missed connection.

I have taken n27 bus many times on weekends before NICE made mistake and it were very busy bus route they got.

When n27 misses n23 connection, n23 bus gets CRUSH LOADED.

Even Suffolk WOW that's sad. Will you just abandon the n27 already they don killed it's usefulness but then again LIRR is infrequent so yeah.

Suffolk doesn't always provide a replacement bus. Many times the S58 broke down particularly from Middle Island on east, they never got a replacement bus. A couple of times this happened on the 3:40pm S58 from Riverhead, and everyone had to wait for the next one at 4:45pm. To make things worse, that 4:45pm run is often a 30' Orion VII, so it's crushloaded.

Because it took so long to get a replacement bus out there, by the time the breakdown driver got relieved he'd have to deadhead to have any hope of being on time. This may change with the Coram depot but from what I hear they dont have many spares, it's either 9908 or one of the clipper buses. The n27 is probably the same situation. A 3rd depot on the north shore would help, but that's an awful large expense for just a handful of routes. I'm not surprised NICE lied about it, because if they could have a 2nd bus on standby, then they'd have 2 buses to run hourly service between Roosevelt Field and Glen Cove.

I know originally NICE was supposed to have "standby buses" stationed in various parts of the county in case of a breakdown, dont know what ever became of that.  :huh:

I know I have abandoned the n27 on weekends, more or less.

QTJ, little off-topic that some poor people or senior citizens don't want to paid for train if they missed n23 and n27 connection. They wait every hour when they missed connection.

I have taken n27 bus many times on weekends before NICE made mistake and it were very busy bus route they got.

I have to say LIRR should show a little sympathy here and let people ride for free between Mineola & Glen Cove weekends only. This would help, but the (MTA) has no sympathy, they even have the nerve to make Seniors/Disabled pay full peak one way fare on AM rush hour trains!

Edited by PinePower

Too bad USE LIRR!! Before N27 was more frequent so using LIRR wasn't practical. You gotta improvise. If you want em to see how badly they messed up N27 just stop using it they aren't dumb enough to run empty buses that were formerly full. Use LIRR and force their hand.  LIRR for a short distance is very cheap. Use ALL YOUR OPTIONS.

Too bad USE LIRR!! Before N27 was more frequent so using LIRR wasn't practical. You gotta improvise. If you want em to see how badly they messed up N27 just stop using it they aren't dumb enough to run empty buses that were formerly full. Use LIRR and force their hand.  LIRR for a short distance is very cheap. Use ALL YOUR OPTIONS.

Rarely is the LIRR a viable alternative for the Bus.

Free wouldn't ever be an option for LIRR, but they could make the fare the same as on NICE between Mineola and Glen Cove.

I think the issue here is that they have to pay twice, once for the LIRR and again for NICE bus to HTC or RF.

It pretty much puts Glen Cove in a double-fare zone outside the system unless you allow an extra hour for missed connections.

1528 (this hasn't been around for a while, though)

1664 (Orion V that got into an accident in October 2011, the destination sign is working now but the front stripes were never added back)

I'm missing a few here, but those are the Orion Vs I've seen in service in the past month.  Pretty sparse now...

1528 (this hasn't been around for a while, though)

1664 (Orion V that got into an accident in October 2011, the destination sign is working now but the front stripes were never added back)

I'm missing a few here, but those are the Orion Vs I've seen in service in the past month.  Pretty sparse now...

1637 was on the n4x this afternoon...

1660, 1570 and 1678 I see very commonly as well (the first two are typically on a HTC route, the latter is usually on the n15)

I never realized how many unwrapped NGs there are.... I rode 1751 on the n6x and 1777 on the n4x and they both were unwrapped. As well as my favorite NG, 1833 :)

Edited by Astoria Line