Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How anyone read this TAC Minutes?

It looks like NICE Bus did something new for TAC.

September 17th minutes- Which list who spoke at TAC meeting.

http://www.nicebus.com/_meta/downloads/Trans_Com_9-17-13_Minutes.pdf

From June 18th minutes.

http://www.nicebus.com/_meta/downloads/Transit_Com_6_18_13_Minutes.pdf

For the September 17 meeting PDF, they have more information about the Clever Devices system starting on page 25.

We had new member came for Long Island Bus Riders Union since she hate Veolia across the world.

She went to rally to support Boston Bus drivers who were on strike against Veolia Transportation, which School Buses are taken over by Veolia over there.

Veolia Transportation is also planning to privatize some of Sewage System, some union members who represent Sewage System don't want Veolia Transportation to operate it.

According to new members, Veolia made same cut to Boston school bus routes, making school bus more crowded.

I'm not going to cry a river for the Boston School Bus Drivers just as with the NYC bus drivers I think it is WRONG to strike and leave children stranded to get what you want.  IMHO there should be a law against this...

Veolia Transportation is also planning to privatize some of Sewage System, some union members who represent Sewage System don't want Veolia Transportation to operate it.

Whether it's buses or sewer systems the municipality decides to privatize the system and companies like Veolia bid on the job, Veolia doesn't just decide to privatize something.  Of course union members don't want wherever they are working to be privatized because they know whatever private company will be running it will tighten the belt and crack the whip!

According to new members, Veolia made same cut to Boston school bus routes, making school bus more crowded.

This is not Veolia Transportation, this is Veolia Water (or environmental I can't remember off hand without googling it)....

I love how everything is always portrayed as "evil Veolia" turning something evil or messing something up.  I've been following this deal with the Boston school buses for almost a year now, it is interesting the last operator was notorious for being (very) late, they were even fined $800,000 last year by the Boston Public Schools. 

Exactly Burrstone. Veolia Environment (that's what they're officially called btw ;), Veolia Water is a subdivision of Veolia Environment) is an operation entirely different from Veolia Transportation. You can't compare those to each other.

Edited by Vistausss

Exactly Burrstone. Veolia Environment (that's what they're officially called btw ;), Veolia Water is a subdivision of Veolia Environment) is an operation entirely different from Veolia Transportation. You can't compare those to each other.

Good lord, how big is Veolia (as a whole)?!?!

@Brett: No. Veolia consists of two parts: Transdev Veolia Transportation and Veolia Environment. Veolia Water and Veolia Energy are subdivisions of Veolia Environment. Environment itself (and Transportation) is no subdivision of whatever. Veolia Environment is operating indepently from Transdev unlike Veolia Transportation. They do have shareholdings in Transdev though.

And next year Veolia will consist of three parts as Veolia Transport Netherlands will start operating on it's own instead of being backed by Transdev. So next year Veolia will be: Transdev Veolia Transportation, Veolia Transport and Veolia Environment.

Edited by Vistausss

Today, on the 20:00 n20 FLushing #1690, which I boarded at Great Neck Station ontime at 20:15, after he drop off all his passengers at 20:47 at Union St, he wanted to talk to me and he used to work under MTA LIB umbrella and he was also complaining Veolia does not give bus drivers enough time for break time. He told me that some of bus operators only have 20 minutes or 15 minutes meal break.

Today, on the 20:00 n20 FLushing #1690, which I boarded at Great Neck Station ontime at 20:15, after he drop off all his passengers at 20:47 at Union St, he wanted to talk to me and he used to work under MTA LIB umbrella and he was also complaining Veolia does not give bus drivers enough time for break time. He told me that some of bus operators only have 20 minutes or 15 minutes meal break.

who cares?

20 minutes meal break? That's a lot compared to most bus companies here. Most of 'em here get only a few minutes meal break if they're on time.

Yeah that's above what most lines I've seen give. Most routes in Nassau & Suffolk generally give only around 10 min layover, some as little as 5. 20 mins is a pretty good deal and I bet a high seniority pick.

I could walk into company tomorrow and take a poll, I'm sure a majority of employees at any would say they felt they deserved longer or more breaks...  That doesn't mean the company is treating them unfairly, I think a lot of people forget their employer is paying them to work, not to take breaks.  

Are NICE drivers not covered by NYS labor laws regarding breaks?  I know certain industries are not covered, I have no idea if this is one of them.  Whatever it is I'm sure it's on the up and up, the union wouldn't allow the company to violate labor law...

It's funny, Yuki posted what a driver told him, yet he forgets he posted pics of 2 driver paddle reports (List NICE interlines You Know) that both showed a 30 minute meal break...

Edited by Burrstone

Yesterday at 9:30pm at Flushing, two passengers (Asian and one senior-like (both males) missed 21:30 n20 Hicksville because male B/O left three minutes early, which upset one of passenger who were running for bus from subway station.

Male senior-like passenger told me NICE is always leaving too early or too late. He says "Drivers don't know how to read schedules"

Tuesday, male B/O who drives 10:15 n20 Hicksville is friend of driver that crush into 505 Fulton Avenue. He don't like Veolia either.

Also, on 12:15pm n80 Massapeaqua, I overheard conversation male driver talking with his regular female passenger that Veolia don't know how to set up driver's schedule and even his trip on n80/81 can be late.

Edited by FamousNYLover

"always too early or too late"

Yes, that's a common thing I'm hearing from people at every company in the world I've traveled with. Some people just like to complain, I guess.

Come to think of it: how are the clocks in the buses? Because I know that here sometimes the clocks in the buses differ from the regular clocks. Therefore, I've been keeping my phone's clock at the up-to-date with the bus clocks for a few years now. If NICE's clocks also differ a bit, maybe that explains why a bus sometimes departures a tad early.

Edited by Vistausss