Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I recall correctly the clocks are in conjunction with the Clever Device system on board, though I wouldn't know if the mainframe is set early systemwide or not. It'd explain a lot if it were though.

Yes they are, and they were incredibly f*cked up when I was out there Friday. Like a 3 hour plus difference.

NICE and Clever better get on that.

Also, in case you don't know, the Clever Device only displays the time with the new system on the 3Gs. The rest of the fleet just announces the next stop. But, the driver controller should still show the time.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

Radical of NICE to step in like that and provide buses for the workers. I can assure you that the MTA would have probably pitched a fit and expected reimbursement.

It was being a nice neighbor indeed, maybe stepping up so everyone in Nassau doesn't view Veolia as the villain.  

I also wonder if Nassau and Veolia have a deal (or if its in their contract) to provide buses for shelter where there would be a lot of evacuees standing out in poor weather?

BTW the UPS story was on News12, no mention of NICE....

Being that NICE is next door, literally it probably wasn't much of a hassle for them.

Fuel ain't free, if the bus is running a driver probably has to be on the bus for liability purposes...  In the grand scheme of things, not that much money but someone has to pay for it...

Or maybe the driver volunteered to do it since it was next door and he felt bad for the UPS workers? Or someone from the repair shop drove it next door? (not sure if repair persons are allowed to do that in the USA though... at least my first thought is the most plausible one then :))

Or someone from the repair shop drove it next door? (not sure if repair persons are allowed to do that in the USA though... at least my first thought is the most plausible one then :))

Sure, mechanics have CDL's and can drive the buses, but they'd still be getting paid (and not fixing buses)...  Who knows, anythings possible and apparently none of us know.  lol

Today, at Roslyn Station, I observed my 15:25 n23 Manorhaven made connection to 16:27 n27 Glen Cove, which was female driver who wasn't not friendly, so I decided not to get on, however she was 15:54 n27 Roslyn Station, which she was suppose to arrived at 16:20, but she arrived 11 minutes late, forcing n27 riders to miss 16:00 n23 Hempstead bus, which left 1 minutes early from 14:31 at 14:30.

Then 17:54 n27 Hempstead missed 18:00 n23 Hempstead at 17:31 connection because new male driver came at 17:32 and same driver 17:27 n27 Glen Cove didn't wait for 18:37 n23 Manorhaven when he saw the n23 arriving at 18:31, and he left without n27 rider.

As result of that n27 riders were CURSING AND ANGRY for forcing them to wait for ANOTHER HOUR FOR BUS!

Edited by FamousNYLover

Today, at Roslyn Station, I observed my 15:25 n23 Manorhaven made connection to 16:27 n27 Glen Cove, which was female driver who wasn't not friendly, so I decided not to get on, however she was 15:54 n27 Roslyn Station, which she was suppose to arrived at 16:20, but she arrived 11 minutes late, forcing n27 riders to miss 16:00 n23 Hempstead bus, which left 1 minutes early from 14:31 at 14:30.

Then 17:54 n27 Hempstead missed 18:00 n23 Hempstead at 17:31 connection because new male driver came at 17:32 and same driver 17:27 n27 Glen Cove didn't wait for 18:37 n23 Manorhaven when he saw the n23 arriving at 18:31, and he left without n27 rider.

As result of that n27 riders were CURSING AND ANGRY for forcing them to wait for ANOTHER HOUR FOR BUS!

It's useless, the n27 on weekends, can't understand what the big deal is about extending it to RF. All they need is two buses, that's one more bus in addition to the one used on it now, for hourly service between Glen Cove and RF.

However I will say you're a sucker if you take the shuttle to nowhere. I know what goes on, and you're better off getting the LIRR (and paying extra), or if you're coming from/going to Greenvale getting the n20 and changing at Hicksville. It's never gonna change, unless the n27 is extended back. If people are so angry they should be calling NICE Bus, posting on their Facebook, and calling their elected officials. They can bitch all they want in Roslyn but if no one hears them its not gonna do any good.

Or they could start their own "Jitney" service like they have in Bergen County. I know I want no part of it, so to me the n27 doesn't run at all on weekends. Roslyn is not a destination and therefore it is completely useless.

Good thing I dont need to go to Glen Cove on weekends or live over there in the boondocks.

Been burned enough, these people still take it they're asking for trouble. Most of the time they don't even check tickets on the LIRR to Mineola. If everyone just stopped riding and took the train NICE would probably fix it due to lost ridership.

It's useless, the n27 on weekends, can't understand what the big deal is about extending it to RF. All they need is two buses, that's one more bus in addition to the one used on it now, for hourly service between Glen Cove and RF.

However I will say you're a sucker if you take the shuttle to nowhere. I know what goes on, and you're better off getting the LIRR (and paying extra), or if you're coming from/going to Greenvale getting the n20 and changing at Hicksville. It's never gonna change, unless the n27 is extended back. If people are so angry they should be calling NICE Bus, posting on their Facebook, and calling their elected officials. They can bitch all they want in Roslyn but if no one hears them its not gonna do any good.

Or they could start their own "Jitney" service like they have in Bergen County. I know I want no part of it, so to me the n27 doesn't run at all on weekends. Roslyn is not a destination and therefore it is completely useless.

Good thing I dont need to go to Glen Cove on weekends or live over there in the boondocks.

Been burned enough, these people still take it they're asking for trouble. Most of the time they don't even check tickets on the LIRR to Mineola. If everyone just stopped riding and took the train NICE would probably fix it due to lost ridership.

WORDS OF WISDOM HAVE BEEN SPOKEN

All the passengers on 16:54 n27 Roslyn Station riders went on LIRR because they didn't want to wait another hour for 18:31.

WORDS OF WISDOM HAVE BEEN SPOKEN

For once, QJT says good things.

@PinePower, I reason I check on weekend n23/n27 situation today because I'll be busy within firehouse X-mas party, that's why that December might be last chance to check weekend n23/n27 situation.

you mean rte 4? In Bergen cty?

I think the issue is that between the Roslyn LIRR station and Hillside Ave, no one uses those stops, so it's a waste of money to send more buses down to Roosevelt Field when the ridership can be handled with the N23 and a looping N27 and technically provide the same level of service.  Now it's a Roslyn-Glen Cove shuttle, but extend it to Roosevelt Field and it becomes a Glorified Roosevelt Field-Glen Cove shuttle. 

1 more bus, would be twice as much gas and paying for an additional B/O.

Now, when this bus time is up and running they'll have NO excuse what-so-ever for missing connections etc. They'll have the command center watching and everyone with their smartphones are going to have to start taking screenshots of that bustime map as evidence.

They say that now they only know when there is a problem if people call in or leave an email. Get people to complain. Call the number, and if they're closed, go to nicebus.com on their cellphone and type in the complaint. Especially with N23/N20/N27 connections. if they all do it as a group that should make them take notice. 

Yuki, you like to help passengers, help them make complaints! (Directly to NICE, not the LIBRU). The phone number is on the bus schedules and they can go to nicebus.com right on their smartphones and tablets to leave their complaints. Show them how to make note of the time and the bus number. When you make the complaint immediately everything is still fresh in the mind. I have nicebus.com bookmarked on my phone's browser. Make sure they get a notepad APP or use google docs to save whatever they send. 

When I type up a complaint, I copy the text every so often while typing it, and once I'm done I copy the whole message before submitting because funky things can happen. If the connection acts up, you still have the message in the clipboard to paste and try again. Then I go to google drive and save it in a NICE Bus Complaint document for reference.

Edited by N6 Limited

I think the issue is that between the Roslyn LIRR station and Hillside Ave, no one uses those stops, so it's a waste of money to send more buses down to Roosevelt Field when the ridership can be handled with the N23 and a looping N27 and technically provide the same level of service.  Now it's a Roslyn-Glen Cove shuttle, but extend it to Roosevelt Field and it becomes a Glorified Roosevelt Field-Glen Cove shuttle. 

1 more bus, would be twice as much gas and paying for an additional B/O.

Now, when this bus time is up and running they'll have NO excuse what-so-ever for missing connections etc. They'll have the command center watching and everyone with their smartphones are going to have to start taking screenshots of that bustime map as evidence.

They say that now they only know when there is a problem if people call in or leave an email. Get people to complain. Call the number, and if they're closed, go to nicebus.com on their cellphone and type in the complaint. Especially with N23/N20/N27 connections. if they all do it as a group that should make them take notice. 

Yuki, you like to help passengers, help them make complaints! (Directly to NICE, not the LIBRU). The phone number is on the bus schedules and they can go to nicebus.com right on their smartphones and tablets to leave their complaints. Show them how to make note of the time and the bus number. When you make the complaint immediately everything is still fresh in the mind. I have nicebus.com bookmarked on my phone's browser. Make sure they get a notepad APP or use google docs to save whatever they send. 

When I type up a complaint, I copy the text every so often while typing it, and once I'm done I copy the whole message before submitting because funky things can happen. If the connection acts up, you still have the message in the clipboard to paste and try again. Then I go to google drive and save it in a NICE Bus Complaint document for reference.

I also have to learn Spanish and Chinese as well because most NICE bus routes are Chinese and Spanish riders as well.

I remember when I met Twenty (correct me) MTA LIB male B/O, there were english-speaking female Chinese passenger was on his bus, and she helped me translate helped me translate our petition in Chines to save Long Island Bus.

I just got email from NICE Bus/Veolia.

PinePower and I were not the only one complaining to restore n27 service.

I guess some people on n27 complains beside us.

Yuki,

Starting January 12, 2013 we will extend the n27 on Saturday and Sunday to Roosevelt Field Mall.  We have heard from customers such as yourself and we were able to facilitate this change.  The scheduled frequency will remain the same, but there will no need to transfer at Roslyn.  We did this for the weekday service a few month back and the response was positive,  I hope we have the same result with this change.

Thank you,

Omar A. Alvarado
Senior Planning and Scheduling Analyst

Edited by Brett
Too big Font