Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atlantic highland bridge wtf. I live in long beach it's Atlantic beach bridge.in Atlantic beach ny Nassau county

You seem to be right on the money. I checked it on Openstreetmap and it's indeed called Atlantic Beach Bridge. The only Atlantic Highland Bridge I could find was the Atlantic Highlands Bridge in NJ. Ah well, typos can happen, we got Yuki's point :)

Edited by Vistausss

Atlantic highland bridge wtf. I live in long beach it's Atlantic beach bridge.in Atlantic beach ny Nassau county

You seem to be right on the money. I checked it on Openstreetmap and it's indeed called Atlantic Beach Bridge. The only Atlantic Highland Bridge I could find was the Atlantic Highlands Bridge in NJ. Ah well, typos can happen, we got Yuki's point :)

I meant to say Atlantic Beach Bridge, sorry about that.

N22x during the PM rush around 6pm is a waste.... While waiting for my train this evening, I saw 2 of them heading towards Jamaica.... 

Both left Mineola Intermodal with a combined 8 passengers (before it pulled into its appropriate lane, the first bus only had one poor bastard on it, and the 2nd bus had 3 ppl. on it).... the first bus left with 3 ppl on it & the 2nd bus left with a grand total of 5 ppl.....

I don't take NICE to/from work, but I'll just reiterate what a co-worker said to me....

"What they need to do to make those expresses (talking about the 22x) more useful is to add a stop at Glen Cove/Old country - There is always a crowd of people waiting at that stop during the rush hour back to Jamaica.... The problem is, once the 22 & the 24 take in everybody from the mall (talking about RFM), there's few people left to board the express".... He also said something about Willis av that I didn't quite pick up on, quite honestly b/c I couldn't relate to what he was saying.....

^^ Don't know if that's a good/viable idea or not, so I'll let you NICE experts chime in on that.....

side note.... Lol @ the lines for the N40 & N41 tonight.... Easily 50 ppl. each. 

N22x during the PM rush around 6pm is a waste.... While waiting for my train this evening, I saw 2 of them heading towards Jamaica.... 

Both left Mineola Intermodal with a combined 8 passengers (before it pulled into its appropriate lane, the first bus only had one poor bastard on it, and the 2nd bus had 3 ppl. on it).... the first bus left with 3 ppl on it & the 2nd bus left with a grand total of 5 ppl.....

I don't take NICE to/from work, but I'll just reiterate what a co-worker said to me....

"What they need to do to make those expresses (talking about the 22x) more useful is to add a stop at Glen Cove/Old country - There is always a crowd of people waiting at that stop during the rush hour back to Jamaica.... The problem is, once the 22 & the 24 take in everybody from the mall (talking about RFM), there's few people left to board the express".... He also said something about Willis av that I didn't quite pick up on, quite honestly b/c I couldn't relate to what he was saying.....

^^ Don't know if that's a good/viable idea or not, so I'll let you NICE experts chime in on that.....

side note.... Lol @ the lines for the N40 & N41 tonight.... Easily 50 ppl. each. 

I don't ride the 22's enough... I'm more of a 6/6X guy but everytime I've ridden the 22, it is always crushed bet. Jamaica and RFM, but empty after that (Hicksville-bound). I always kind of thought that that 22X should be in BOTH directions.. Sometimes in Jamaica, I see lines for the 22's wrapping around the block by 170th

That 40/41 is always crowded lolol, I believe they are way up there in terms of ridership (along with the 6/6X, 15, 22's and the 20's)

Those two routes together seem to really frequent though 

I have no idea how crowded the 22x is or isn't, but is it really fair to judge it's existence over pulling almost empty out of one stop? In that case they can drop the inter-county lines from my city to Amsterdam as well because the first 3 stops don't even get what the 22x gets at Mineola Intermodal Center; the crowds start after the first 3 stops. Isn't that the same for the 22x? It has more than one stop so who knows who boards at the next stop...

Edited by Vistausss

"What they need to do to make those expresses (talking about the 22x) more useful is to add a stop at Glen Cove/Old country - There is always a crowd of people waiting at that stop during the rush hour back to Jamaica.... The problem is, once the 22 & the 24 take in everybody from the mall (talking about RFM), there's few people left to board the express".... He also said something about Willis av that I didn't quite pick up on, quite honestly b/c I couldn't relate to what he was saying.....

Some people wait for n22X Express. However, when n22X bus is very late, some folks decided to take n22 Local or n22A.

I take n22, n32 (Rush Hours), n6, n6x, n40/41 buses are always late.

I agreed n22x stop should be added at Old Country Rd/Glen Cove Rd westbound/Clinton Rd eastbound.

I don't ride the 22's enough... I'm more of a 6/6X guy but everytime I've ridden the 22, it is always crushed bet. Jamaica and RFM, but empty after that (Hicksville-bound). I always kind of thought that that 22X should be in BOTH directions.. Sometimes in Jamaica, I see lines for the 22's wrapping around the block by 170th

That 40/41 is always crowded lolol, I believe they are way up there in terms of ridership (along with the 6/6X, 15, 22's and the 20's)

n20/21s are now mostly crowded between Flushing and Roslyn. n20L Limited trips are getting more crowded because some people don't want to wait for n21 local when it's faster to take n20L LTD to Glen Cove for n27.

n40/41 drivers doesn't have enough time to rest because after few minutes, they have to leave again on schedule.

I have no idea how crowded the 22x is or isn't, but is it really fair to judge it's existence over pulling almost empty out of one stop? In that case they can drop the inter-county lines from my city to Amsterdam as well because the first 3 stops don't even get what the 22x gets at Mineola Intermodal Center; the crowds start after the first 3 stops. Isn't that the same for the 22x? It has more than one stop so who knows who boards at the next stop...

The n22x's run every 30 minutes apart from each other, for you to see two buses together, something crazy had to have happen, and that explains the low amount of people who boarded the two buses, since probably the n22 picked the rest up.

I honestly think the December 30 revision of the n22x path just basterdized the entire route (meaning n22/a/l/x combined). Before, the n22x used to go non-stop from 179 to Roosevelt Field and vice versa, no one complained. Now you're seeing an inbalance, because people at Mineola just take whatever 22 comes (whether it be a 22 or 22x, since the 22x really doesn't save time over the n22 at all anymore when it got rerouted to serve Mineola, only if you're riding the route from end to end, you'll see a reduction. 22's also leave RF with more crowds, since the 22x doesn't save any significant time of the 22a. The 22L, I don't know what to say, it's not even a real limited, all it does is skip Roosevelt Field. 

Basically, NICE made the n22 worse than before. They should just make the n22L's into regular n22's and run the three routes every 10 minutes from each other, and  just make buses on Hillside run every 10 minutes, with the 22A running every 30, and the 22 every 10-20. The 22x would just go back to it's original routing. 

But anyways, those are my two cents.

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Thanks to everyone that responded... I'll print this page when I get in tomorrow....

In the morning & the evening when I get in/out, I see them leaving almost 1 right behind the other.... One thing I'll say is that they're well synched (I don't remember the 40/41 being like that under LIB... so that is yet another improvement NICE has made)....

False... I'm not judging its existence by questioning its usage around a particular timeframe - as if the 22x only runs in that timeframe... 

Who knows who boards at the next stop? It has more than one stop? I specifically said "heading towards Jamaica"....

After the Mineola stop, it stops at NHP/Hillside... What are the other pickup stop(s) on the westbound 22x after NHP?

Some people wait for n22X Express. However, when n22X bus is very late, some folks decided to take n22 Local or n22A.

I take n22, n32 (Rush Hours), n6, n6x, n40/41 buses are always late.

I agreed n22x stop should be added at Old Country Rd/Glen Cove Rd westbound/Clinton Rd eastbound.

The same coworker in question takes the 22 or the 22x to the subway going home (and he's been tryna get me to delve into that commute ever since I've been out here).... He states that by time the 22/22a reaches NHP, 22x's just pass by w/o picking anyone up - because the 22/22a had already passed by the stop picking everyone up (so that puts the kibosh on Vistausss' statement about who knows who boards at the next stop - as if so many folks are waiting for 22x's at NHP on these virtually empty buses leaving mineola on those trips)...

I'd go as far as to say it's an issue of poor scheduling b/w the 3 variants (22/22a/22x)....

I'm assuming since he mentioned something about Willis, he thinks 22x's should start there also.... 

Anyway, so you think it's a good idea... 

side note: Where are you traveling to in Nassau where you have all those buses as options? Lol....

The n22x's run every 30 minutes apart from each other, for you to see two buses together, something crazy had to have happen, and that explains the low amount of people who boarded the two buses, since probably the n22 picked the rest up.

I honestly think the December 30 revision of the n22x path just basterdized the entire route (meaning n22/a/l/x combined). Before, the n22x used to go non-stop from 179 to Roosevelt Field and vice versa, no one complained. Now you're seeing an inbalance, because people at Mineola just take whatever 22 comes (whether it be a 22 or 22x, since the 22x really doesn't save time over the n22 at all anymore when it got rerouted to serve Mineola, only if you're riding the route from end to end, you'll see a reduction. 22's also leave RF with more crowds, since the 22x doesn't save any significant time of the 22a. The 22L, I don't know what to say, it's not even a real limited, all it does is skip Roosevelt Field. 

Basically, NICE made the n22 worse than before. They should just make the n22L's into regular n22's and run the three routes every 10 minutes from each other, and  just make buses on Hillside run every 10 minutes, with the 22A running every 30, and the 22 every 10-20. The 22x would just go back to it's original routing. 

But anyways, those are my two cents.

They didn't arrive together, but they weren't 30 mins apart either... I didn't time it, but I'd guesstimate that they were about 15-20 mins apart.....

Wait a second... so if no one complained, why did NICE feel it was necessary to add stops at mineola intermodal & NHP/Hillside?

The rest of what you say here, point(s) well taken.....

They didn't arrive together, but they weren't 30 mins apart either... I didn't time it, but I'd guesstimate that they were about 15-20 mins apart.....

Wait a second... so if no one complained, why did NICE feel it was necessary to add stops at mineola intermodal & NHP/Hillside?

They did for the reason that n22L service to Jamaica in the afternoon was discontinued (stopping at NHP). As for Mineola, I honestly don't know, unless the reason is that the 22's were getting too full and left many people behind. 

@B35: Poor scheduling, yes. Or it could be due to the traffic flow... One major complaint on this forum is that the traffic flow (mainly non-prioritized traffic lights and out-of-sync traffic light) hinder NICE... so maybe the 22/22a get stuck somewhere in traffic and by the time traffic clears up and the 22/22a try to make up lost time, the 22x comes flying by, who knows.

Edited by Vistausss

@B35: Poor scheduling, yes. Or it could be due to the traffic flow...

One major complaint on this forum is that the traffic flow (mainly non-prioritized traffic lights and out-of-sync traffic light) hinder NICE... so maybe the 22/22a get stuck somewhere in traffic and by the time traffic clears up and the 22/22a try to make up lost time, the 22x comes flying by, who knows.

I'll keep it brief...

Hillside doesn't get slammed with traffic over there for that to happen, so that theory is out....

(side note: Old Country rd & the 24, OTOH....)

Just to be clear, it wasn't only on monday that I notice this w/ the inbound 22x's, it's pretty much since I started working out here (for almost a handful of months now)..... So it's a systematic problem w/ how the 22x is ran now (taking Q23's word for it).......

When you have folks saying the 22a doesn't save much time over the 22x out of RFM, something is wrong....

As far as traffic lights not being in sync, yes, that's definitely a county-wide problem (one I'm gonna have to prepare myself for in the upcoming weeks when I start driving to work)..... That's a fair point.

They did for the reason that n22L service to Jamaica in the afternoon was discontinued (stopping at NHP).

As for Mineola, I honestly don't know, unless the reason is that the 22's were getting too full and left many people behind. 

What's funny about that is, 22's arrive at mineola crushloaded (of course, these are Hicksville, Westbury, and RFM area folks (that's including that glen cove stop or w/e), and you still have ppl sardining onto them (and 24's) at mineola....

I've never noticed a line of people (of say, what, 10+) boarding a jamaica bound 22x at mineola..... Never.....

For NICE's sake, I'm assuming 22x's are more utilized around the 5pm hour/timeslot......

In other words, in bold, that's the current situation now (minus the leaving ppl. behind part.... it amazes me how many people can somehow someway get on those buses... I mean, they're still the same 40' buses as that of NYC, yet it seems like more ppl can get onto NICE buses.... eh, I dunno...)

Edited by B35 via Church

n22x: Maybe it should be converted to rush hours both direction. Last bus from Jamaica is 7:55am.

For n22X stops should be:

Westbound: All stops until Roosevelt Field

Roosevelt Field

Old Country Rd/Glen Cove Rd

Mineola Station

New Hyde Park Rd

179th St

All stops to 165th St

Then express.

Eastbound

All stops to 182nd St (179th St)

Hillside Av/182nd St

New Hyde Park Rd

Mineola Station

Old Country Rd/Clinton Rd

Roosevelt Field Mall

All stops to Hicksville.

Instead of making n22x going on Jericho Turnpike for short distance between Herricks Rd and Marcus Av, it's best if it just stay on Herrick Rd to/from Hillside Av.

I think n4x should add another pickup at Archer Av/Merrick Rd since it's near Jamaica Bus Terminal
Freeport Station
Baldwin Harbor-Grand Av
South Nassau Hospital- Oceanside Rd
Rockville Centre-Park Av
Lynbrook-5 Corners
Valley Stream- Rockaway Av
Valley Stream- City Line
Merrick Blvd/Farmers Blvd WB 130th Pl EB
Archer Av/Merrick Blvd-165th St
Jamaica Center 

The 22 has severe OTP & crowding issues throughout it's entire route. And yes the RFM-Hicksville leg can get VERY crowded. Bunching is a huge issue, often in rush hour it will be an hour wait between buses, esp e/b from RFM in the PM, then a few come at once, the leader is crushloaded and the follower is empty. People will jam onto the 1st bus even when the next bus is right behind, not sure why, maybe they like being jammed? :huh:

Middays is surprisingly heavy too, I rarely even get a seat on the w/b buses in Westbury at this time. As for the n22x, it was better when it skipped Mineola. By having it stop at Mineola it gets bogged down in traffic, and often behind n22's ahead of it. Since most people at Mineola will take either an n22 or an n22x, it often leads to the n22 getting jammed while the n22x behind it is empty. I think loads were more evenly distributed when the n22x skipped Mineola and ran non-stop to Jamaica.

Out of sync & mistimed lights also cause delays and bunching. Remember a bus running behind schedule, perhaps from just missing a couple of lights, will get extra people, make more stops, causing it to run even later. Eventually the next bus catches up. The satellite tracking system can help dispatchers direct buses to keep moving, esp when there's a 2nd one behind, no need to stop for a pickup. 

As for the n22, the RFM-Hicksville leg needs buses every 10-15 minutes most times, the 30 min gap in middays makes the buses pretty crowded. Remember New Cassel has alot of poor ppl that rely on the bus, there's no LIRR there which also puts more ppl on the n22. As for the n22x, I think the old routing needs to be restored, but with a difference. It should run in both directions, and the n22L's should just be turned into regular n22's. West of RF the n22x would follow the old (n22a) routing, making stops at Willis Ave/Hillside (n23), NHP Road(n25), City Line, and then express to 179st subway.

The 22 has severe OTP & crowding issues throughout it's entire route. And yes the RFM-Hicksville leg can get VERY crowded. Bunching is a huge issue, often in rush hour it will be an hour wait between buses, esp e/b from RFM in the PM, then a few come at once, the leader is crushloaded and the follower is empty. People will jam onto the 1st bus even when the next bus is right behind, not sure why, maybe they like being jammed? :huh:

I m not sure what the deal is on NICE, but I know that when I run into a similiar bunching situation (even recently that happened to me) the driver in the follower bus either doesn t open up the doors for you or does open up and tells you that you could ve boarded the bus in the front, even when that bus in the front is crushloaded. Maybe some drivers on NICE also act like that?

Out of sync & mistimed lights also cause delays and bunching. Remember a bus running behind schedule, perhaps from just missing a couple of lights, will get extra people, make more stops, causing it to run even later. Eventually the next bus catches up.

Yeah, explain that to B35... I tried a few posts above you but he didnt really seem to get it.

Edited by Vistausss

Middays is surprisingly heavy too, I rarely even get a seat on the w/b buses in Westbury at this time. As for the n22x, it was better when it skipped Mineola. By having it stop at Mineola it gets bogged down in traffic, and often behind n22's ahead of it. Since most people at Mineola will take either an n22 or an n22x, it often leads to the n22 getting jammed while the n22x behind it is empty. I think loads were more evenly distributed when the n22x skipped Mineola and ran non-stop to Jamaica.

Out of sync & mistimed lights also cause delays and bunching. Remember a bus running behind schedule, perhaps from just missing a couple of lights, will get extra people, make more stops, causing it to run even later. Eventually the next bus catches up. The satellite tracking system can help dispatchers direct buses to keep moving, esp when there's a 2nd one behind, no need to stop for a pickup. 

As for the n22, the RFM-Hicksville leg needs buses every 10-15 minutes most times, the 30 min gap in middays makes the buses pretty crowded. Remember New Cassel has alot of poor ppl that rely on the bus, there's no LIRR there which also puts more ppl on the n22. As for the n22x, I think the old routing needs to be restored, but with a difference. It should run in both directions, and the n22L's should just be turned into regular n22's. West of RF the n22x would follow the old (n22a) routing, making stops at Willis Ave/Hillside (n23), NHP Road(n25), City Line, and then express to 179st subway.

This is why I'd rather crush on the 6/6X instead of taking those horrid 22's.

The two times I took the 22:

from RF-Jamaica, CRUSHED, making all stops.

from RF-Hicksville, pretty empty and smooth

Yeah, explain that to B35... I tried a few posts above you but he didnt really seem to get it.

Yeah, explain that to B35 nothing.... What Pinepower described in that snippet you quoted of his isn't the issue with the 22x.....

The masses are taking 22's (or 24's) and are NOT taking 22x's around that time.... What he's describing in that snippet I'm quite sure happens with the 22, as I do see bunched 22's at times (for either direction) entering Mineola Intermodal.....

I guess you missed this part of his post, mister selective reader......

Since most people at Mineola will take either an n22 or an n22x, it often leads to the n22 getting jammed while the n22x behind it is empty.

I mean really, try to keep up here.....

n22x: Maybe it should be converted to rush hours both direction. Last bus from Jamaica is 7:55am.

For n22X stops should be:

** LIST OF STOPS **

Instead of making n22x going on Jericho Turnpike for short distance between Herricks Rd and Marcus Av, it's best if it just stay on Herrick Rd to/from Hillside Av.

Don't know if it should run in both directions during the rush or not, but how significant a change do you think/know would this be for current 22x riders?

Edited by B35 via Church

Yeah, explain that to B35 nothing.... What Pinepower described in that snippet you quoted of his isn't the issue with the 22x.....

The masses are taking 22's (or 24's) and are NOT taking 22x's around that time.... What he's describing in that snippet I'm quite sure happens with the 22, as I do see bunched 22's at times (for either direction) entering Mineola Intermodal.....

I guess you missed this part of his post, mister selective reader......

I mean really, try to keep up here.....

Don't know if it should run in both directions during the rush or not, but how significant a change do you think/know would this be for current 22x riders?

It'll just make NICE discontinued the n22L for good if you make the 22x run in both directions. 

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

When my 17:00 S1 was pulling onto Amityivlle at 18:10s, 18:15 n55 Hempstead driver left 5 minutes early.

I was planning to get on n54/55, and now I am forced to wait extra 30 minutes for n54.

Were you fanning or running errands?  Why didn't you take the S1 15 minutes before the one you took?  You really thought you could make a connection that tight traveling on 110 during the PM rush?   :huh:

Were you fanning or running errands?  Why didn't you take the S1 15 minutes before the one you took?  You really thought you could make a connection that tight traveling on 110 during the PM rush?   :huh:

I was informing NICE/SCT Bus riders about Sunday service on some Suffolk County Buses.

He doesn't use logic dude.

It'll just make NICE discontinued the n22L for good if you make the 22x run in both directions. 

N22L and x you know what nevermind NICE does it's thing.