Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

Now the Q25 and Q34. The Q34 should be eliminated because no one ever really stays on the bus after flushing to Whitestone. It empties out and picks up 3 to 5 people and then it never gets half full or full. Only when the bus is very late it can get to be half full. Now the reason the Q25 is always delayed is because most of time the Q34 comes late and the Q25 comes on time after it and has to wait until the Q34 is at least 5 minutes ahead of it. So here is an example 5:00PM q34 is suppose to come it come 7 minutes later. The Q25 comes at 5:08. Then it passes it now it has to wait for the Q34 to catch up and pass it a little bit. The Q17 Q27 and Q44 don't have a problem with extra service.

Actually, I often see the Q34 to be completely full, like the other routes on Kissena. Even after the Flushing-Main Street Station, going to Whitestone, it has a pretty fair amount of passengers.

Adding service to the Q17 and Q27 would cause clumping overload all over the place. They are frequent enough.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with this. Some routes should be cut or changed. Some are for coverage purposes I believe... I never understood the point of the Q103 either, it goes not too far from my school and I don't see much ppl on it, and it has horrible headways and stops running fairly early (6:30 or 7pm, I believe)

The point is to serve Vernon Blvd, but I guess it was one of the "(MTA) had money then" routes.

The point is to serve Vernon Blvd, but I guess it was one of the " (MTA) had money then" routes.

That's what I thought.... The major area it serves (Queensbridge) is already served by the (F), Q102, Q69, Q66 and the Q100, so if it was eliminated, I wouldn't see much loss from it....

But u see the Q34 is a feeder off the Q25 and having the Q20B serve College Pt 14 is useless and the Q20A is only a few blocks away. So to save money have the Q20B serve Whitestone Q34 route an increase Q25 service to meet the riders demands.

So you're saying to discontinue the Q34, and reroute the Q20B to serve the Whitestone portion of the Q34? How would this be routed? Seems interesting...

That's what I thought.... The major area it serves (Queensbridge) is already served by the (F), Q102, Q69, Q66 and the Q100, so if it was eliminated, I wouldn't see much loss from it....

It's basically a Q102 not via 31 Avenue.

So you're saying to discontinue the Q34, and reroute the Q20B to serve the Whitestone portion of the Q34? How would this be routed? Seems interesting...

Yes MTAFanBoy512,The Q20B instead of going to College Pt Blvd and 14 Ave it will just go to 149st and Whitestone. It runs weekdays anyway so I would give it a try

It's basically a Q102 not via 31 Avenue.

31 Street you mean ; and I suppose so, but the Q102 has more important places that it serves (Roosevelt Island) and it runs 7 days a week, as opposed to weekdays like on the Q103

Yes MTAFanBoy512,The Q20B instead of going to College Pt Blvd and 14 Ave it will just go to 149st and Whitestone. It runs weekdays anyway so I would give it a try

If you can route it perfectly, theres no harm in trying, both routes run weekdays only, which is perfect!

31 Street you mean ; and I suppose so, but the Q102 has more important places that it serves (Roosevelt Island) and it runs 7 days a week, as opposed to weekdays like on the Q103

Eh... Roosevelt Island is definitely not it's biggest source of passengers. It's definitely in Astoria. Rarely ever is a Bus close to half full on Main Street (RIOC has 25¢ fares) so its ridership must be in Astoria

Eh... Roosevelt Island is definitely not it's biggest source of passengers. It's definitely in Astoria. Rarely ever is a Bus close to half full on Main Street (RIOC has 25¢ fares) so its ridership must be in Astoria

Yep, it's in Astoria, by far. I don't ride it the Q102, but I can tell you that any stop under the train or anywhere near it will be full.

I would try and combine the B24 with the Q103/104.

The Q103 would Elbe routed to serve Greenpoint Ave and would terminate at 47 st/47 av. The Q104 would serve the other half of the route weekdays only.

The B24 needs to disappear... that route makes no sense...

BTW, you can just route the Q54 onto Metropolitan Avenue in Williamsburg to replace the B24 there, but I feel if that branch is routed south it has more potential. The Greenpoint branch needs to be it's own route, and it should go along Roosevelt Avenue to 74th Street terminal to supplement the Q32...

The B24 needs to disappear... that route makes no sense...

BTW, you can just route the Q54 onto Metropolitan Avenue in Williamsburg to replace the B24 there, but I feel if that branch is routed south it has more potential. The Greenpoint branch needs to be it's own route, and it should go along Roosevelt Avenue to 74th Street terminal to supplement the Q32...

People who take the B24 are going straight to Greenpoint Brooklyn, or Sunnyside Queens. The reason the B24 has little to no riders is because of the BQE, which tends to have traffic jams between the Meeker/Morgan and the Long Island Expressway exits. The B24 would rather take the G train instead of the bus, why? Because the G is faster than the B24.

You should have it operate on Linden Place and go to Union St. via the current Q34 route going to 149th Street if you're going to discontinue the Q34.

I kind of think that the Q20B should cover both the Q74 route to Kew Gardens via. Vleigh Pl. and around Queens College, and the Q14 route to 7th Avenue, and the Q15A should be discontinued.

People who take the B24 are going straight to Greenpoint Brooklyn, or Sunnyside Queens. The reason the B24 has little to no riders is because of the BQE, which tends to have traffic jams between the Meeker/Morgan and the Long Island Expressway exits. The B24 would rather take the G train instead of the bus, why? Because the G is faster than the B24.

People who take Greenpoint bound 24's (out of Wms'burg) get off along Met Av., take it to the cooper park houses (those projects along kingsland av), get off at 53rd/48th (these are usually the workers that work in industrial maspeth), or get off for the Q32/60/(7) by QB..... Nobody rides the loop to Greenpoint....

People who take Williamsburg bound 24's (out of G'point) take it to Borden, QB area, and within sunnyside..... same deal w/ the above, no one rides the loop to Williamsburg.....

In other words, getting to/from QB is the major ridership generator in both directions.....

It's quite obvious you'll see more intra-brooklyn riders on the williamsburg half of the route, compared to the greenpoint half....

Yeah, riders would rather take the (G) due to the speed factor, and also, the fact that the B24 doesn't take you to the LIC area, nor does it offer a connection w/ any of the QB (letter) lines......

Edited by B35 via Church

Thank god the RIOC never got absorbed by the MTA, they would have just cut the route and made people use the Q102....

Exactly. I took the Red bus before, NICE ride for $0.25 . I think the ride is worth more like $0.50 instead. And a lot of people ride that bus, and I rode it on a Sunday. It was packed to the brim. Besides they got the tram to Manhattan or the (F) instead of back-tracking to Queens. And they got express buses on Roosevelt Island as well. From the Octagon making two stops them express to the train station. They got a NICE set-up system.

No, the Q102 should be kept.

But yes. RIOC needs to stay its own, but should not go to queens (seeing how the Q102 does).

I would rather see the Q102 terminate at 36 Avenue/Vernon and have the Q103 serve Roosevelt Island. But then again, you have to pay extra to get to the (N)...

@checkmate

Doesn't matter, kids ride free ;)

Exactly. I took the Red bus before, NICE ride for $0.25 . I think the ride is worth more like $0.50 instead. And a lot of people ride that bus, and I rode it on a Sunday. It was packed to the brim. Besides they got the tram to Manhattan or the (F) instead of back-tracking to Queens. And they got express buses on Roosevelt Island as well. From the Octagon making two stops them express to the train station. They got a NICE set-up system.

Doesn't the Q102 connect with the (F) as well.

In any case, I think the Red Bus runs a little more frequently than the Q102, right?

I'm back with a few more ideas:

Q17: I've also happened to notice some Northbound PM LTD's little under half full but I wouldn't eliminate them completely. Instead I'd just reduce the frequency to 9-10 min.

Q26/27: Short turn a small few Q27's to/from the Q26's path to eliminate retire/replace the route altogether (peak directions only during Rush Hours only).

Q46: Extend time frame of Westbound AM LTD's up 'til ending at 9:15. As for the PM there'll be LTD's (Westbound) at 2:30-6:00 PM. (sorry still had to mention this ;).

Q77: Extend to 147 Av better connect with Q111 & Q113 as folks don't have to walk to 145th to catch the bus.

Q83: Re-extend to it's original terminal at QV LIRR to better ridership along the Cambria Heights area.