Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

To be perfectly honest, that location wasn't exactly the best anyways; there's no good way to get from Kissena or Main to Union from the south.

From Main, buses could have used 39th Avenue to the terminal and 37th Avenue from it. 

From Kissena, buses would have merged into Main and then used 39th Avenue to the terminal and 37th Avenue from it. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Main, buses could have used 39th Avenue to the terminal and 37th Avenue from it. 

From Kissena, buses would have merged into Main and then used 39th Avenue to the terminal and 37th Avenue from it. 

That sounds like a giant left-turn backup waiting to happen if it were to happen today...

It also doesn't sound like it would've done anything for the routes that ran through Flushing, which are also some of the busiest (Q20/44,Q65,Q25/34)

My first proposal in this thread.

Name

Flushing Bus Terminal and Transit Center

Between 37th Avenue and 39th Avenue (Entrance for buses are at 138th Street)

Bus Routes Involved That Will Be Using the Terminal

Q13

Q15/A

Q16

Q17

Q19

Q27

Q28

Q50

Q66

Both N20 and N21

QM3 (rush hour stop, and does not terminate)

Subway/Commuter Rail Connections

(7) LIRR (This connection would be made possible with an underground walkway, with stairs at each of the bus stands. There will also be portals to the bus terminal and LIRR station at other locations, such as at Macy's and Roosevelt Avenue) 

Design

The terminal would look like this.4741637026_b2cb1861df_b.jpgBenefits for the Community

This would attract more tourists to Flushing than usual. It would also pour in thousands of dollars as well in terms of money and economics. Housing would be more affordable. More businesses would pop up. If it is a success, then Flushing would become the next tourist attraction in New York City.

What do you think about this plan?

I'm not exactly sure what that diagram is supposed to illustrate

(I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at; the numbers make things even more confusing)....

Regardless, the blatantly obvious problem with your proposed terminal is the sheer amount of bus routes involved - It would account for far too many buses for too limited amount of space.... It'd be a logistical nightmare waiting to happen....That immediate/specific area can barely handle the Q13/16/28 as it is... You can't have every route that terminates in downtown Flushing (sans the Q58) terminate in that area binding 37th av, 39th av, 138th st, & union st - Even if you tore down that municipal parking lot!

Not to mention, the QM3 has no business venturing anywhere into downtown Flushing - So at minimum, you may as well omit that from your plans here.....

Edited by B35 via Church

I'm not exactly sure what that diagram is supposed to illustrate

(I don't know what I'm supposed to be looking at; the numbers make things even more confusing)....

Regardless, the blatantly obvious problem with your proposed terminal is the sheer amount of bus routes involved - It would account for far too many buses for too limited amount of space.... It'd be a logistical nightmare waiting to happen....That immediate/specific area can barely handle the Q13/16/28 as it is... You can't have every route that terminates in downtown Flushing (sans the Q58) terminate in that area binding 37th av, 39th av, 138th st, & union st - Even if you tore down that municipal parking lot!

Not to mention, the QM3 has no business venturing anywhere into downtown Flushing - So at minimum, you may as well omit that from your plans here.....

Hmm... You are right. I may do a revised version later.

Flushing cannot do a off-street bus terminal simply because there is no good place to put it. The best that could happen is an off-street terminal from the routes that approach Main St from the north; the Kissena Blvd buses have no good way of getting to the Union St garage area without causing a giant traffic backup with all those left turn movements.

As for the tourist attraction part, Flushing is actually kind of there. I've seen the odd handful of tourists lost in Flushing, and I would say anywhere from a third to a half of the new construction in Flushing is actually hotel space, due to the proximity of the place to LGA, a straight-shot trip into Manhattan, and the cheaper rooms.

Is it possible to build an off street bus terminal in Long Island City?

I don't understand why some routes have to serve both Court Square and terminate at "Queens Plaza".

I never really got around to it, but I've have felt for the longest that Western Queens (with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 routes, not including the M60) needs a bus network reconfiguration....

You just listed one of the main reasons why I say that's the case. Hell, FWIW. every single one of the "Q100's" routes I would alter.... I just smh @ the way the Q69 serves (gets back to) 21st st from QBP, towards jackson heights (I hate the way the old Q19a <--> current Q69 is routed from start to finish anyway, the way the Q39 gets to QBP from Court sq, Q66 service to QBP... 

I hate to say this, but the network in that part of Queens in general is antiquated (which stemmed from the old PBL's anyway).... It's time for a change, that's the one thing I will agree with in that proposed proposal (I just don't care for the way they'd do it, and to the extent they're doing it - seemingly catering only to the forming/growing hipster & yuppie population)....

They're only part of the equation.

The Q101 has no business even going to Manhattan.

My thing is, every trip does not need to go to Manhattan..... Matter fact, I would say most trips.

But if push came to shove, I would have the Q101 in its entirety remain w/i Queens... However, IDK about running it to Hunterspoint (like as in the NYPlanning proposal & what not)

Edited by B35 via Church

I never really got around to it, but I've have felt for the longest that Western Queens (with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 routes, not including the M60) needs a bus network reconfiguration....

You just listed one of the main reasons why I say that's the case. Hell, FWIW. every single one of the "Q100's" routes I would alter.... I just smh @ the way the Q69 serves (gets back to) 21st st from QBP, towards jackson heights (I hate the way the old Q19a <--> current Q69 is routed from start to finish anyway, the way the Q39 gets to QBP from Court sq, Q66 service to QBP... 

I hate to say this, but the network in that part of Queens in general is antiquated (which stemmed from the old PBL's anyway).... It's time for a change, that's the one thing I will agree with in that proposed proposal (I just don't care for the way they'd do it, and to the extent they're doing it - seemingly catering only to the forming/growing hipster & yuppie population)....

They're only part of the equation.

My thing is, every trip does not need to go to Manhattan..... Matter fact, I would say most trips.

But if push came to shove, I would have the Q101 in its entirety remain w/i Queens... However, IDK about running it to Hunterspoint (like as in the NYPlanning proposal & what not)

I did have a proposal a long time ago (I don't know), that involved a Q66 and Q101 flip-flop of routing west of Steinway Street (with a second Q66 short-turn at Crescent Street; or just terminate all buses at 23 street/QPS), but given traffic conditions, I think that would further worsen the 66 as it is (even with short-turns). It also included a Q69 rerouting onto 23 Street instead of 21 Street (following the current Q66 route north of 42 Road to get to 21 street).

I mean, I understand why the current bus network is the way it is, and I agree with you that it's very out-dated. Those sorta large one way loops are no longer a standard. The problem is how to fix all that. 

I know one of your suggestions is to terminate the Q39 at Court Square. Now, can agree with that. however, maybe a rush hour connection to Queensboro Plaza can be considered. All other times, the WB Q67 can handle that, the B24 and Q59 as well.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Yeah that North Western Queens sections needs fixes to it. I would just have the Q66 continue down Northern Blvd to Queens Plaza. The Q101 would go down 35Ave where the Q66 currently serves and it would terminate at Queens Plaza. The Q100 I would honestly get rid of it because it serves pretty much the same purpose as the Q69. I would further extend the Q101 to Rikers. The MTA is trying to keep the Q103 but it's poorly used. The Q102 and Q104 can be fixed up but I don't know how. Any thoughts about the Q102 and Q104.

Yeah that North Western Queens sections needs fixes to it. I would just have the Q66 continue down Northern Blvd to Queens Plaza. The Q101 would go down 35Ave where the Q66 currently serves and it would terminate at Queens Plaza. The Q100 I would honestly get rid of it because it serves pretty much the same purpose as the Q69. I would further extend the Q101 to Rikers. The MTA is trying to keep the Q103 but it's poorly used. The Q102 and Q104 can be fixed up but I don't know how. Any thoughts about the Q102 and Q104.

Why would you get rid of the 100? It's the 24/7 bus on 21 Street (not the main reason), and on top of that, both buses are full throughout the day...

If you get rid of the Q100, what ends up serving Rikers?

Why would you get rid of the 100? It's the 24/7 bus on 21 Street (not the main reason), and on top of that, both buses are full throughout the day...

Well that is the problem with a lot of MTA bus routes in general too many duplicated routes. I would have gotten rid of the Q100 or Q101R back in 2008 and add LTD to the Q69. That is basically what it is the Q100 is, so why not help the Q69 grow. Then I would of have the Q101 serve Rikers. There are many trips that are empty to Rikers and with the Q101's 15 to 20 minute headways you can eliminate all these empty buses heading over that bridge. Now if I'm not mistaken I believe correction officers do use that bus to get to the jail from the parking lot.

Well that is the problem with a lot of MTA bus routes in general too many duplicated routes. I would have gotten rid of the Q100 or Q101R back in 2008 and add LTD to the Q69. That is basically what it is the Q100 is, so why not help the Q69 grow. Then I would of have the Q101 serve Rikers. There are many trips that are empty to Rikers and with the Q101's 15 to 20 minute headways you can eliminate all these empty buses heading over that bridge. Now if I'm not mistaken I believe correction officers do use that bus to get to the jail from the parking lot.

Yeah, however, what about Steinway on 20 Avenue, because, that stop at 31 street does exist. Adding a LTD to the Q69 overserves Ditmars Blvd alone. That's not where the buses are severely needed; they're needed on 21 street. Bus ridership on the 101R/100 has increased greatly. Maybe have the 100 run local during late nights (because, I mean, some of those stops are widely apart). The 100 has more connections than the 101 gives, and such options are often faster. If your problem is really service to Rokers, terminate every other trip there, but I don't think the 101 should be extended. The 101 would be slightly less reliable, because even though Manhattan ridership is non-existent on certain trips, the Bridge is unpredictable.

The Q100 also doesn't provide 24/7 service to Rikers, I'm pretty sure you know that.

On the Q100 to Rikers...perhaps it is time for the MTA to work with the Corrections Department to determine which trips need to serve Rikers? On Mondays and Tuesdays, there are no visits permitted. See here for more information:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doc/html/visit-an-inmate/visit-schedule.shtml

On those days, I would have Q100 trips end at the Q101 terminus at 19 Avenue and Hazen Street. As for the Q100...what about adding a stop at 20 Avenue and Steinway Street full time?

On the Q100 to Rikers...perhaps it is time for the MTA to work with the Corrections Department to determine which trips need to serve Rikers? On Mondays and Tuesdays, there are no visits permitted. See here for more information:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doc/html/visit-an-inmate/visit-schedule.shtml

On those days, I would have Q100 trips end at the Q101 terminus at 19 Avenue and Hazen Street. As for the Q100...what about adding a stop at 20 Avenue and Steinway Street full time?

Yeah, but people from Rikers Island (workers) may utilize those buses. I'd say that on Monday and Tuesday, every other trip of the day terminate at Rikers, and the rest terminate at the 101 terminal.

As for adding a stop at Steinway, I guess it could work.

I believe it did in the late '90's

Really? Gosh, I could've sworn that it was only the 69 and the 103.

I did have a proposal a long time ago (I don't know), that involved a Q66 and Q101 flip-flop of routing west of Steinway Street (with a second Q66 short-turn at Crescent Street; or just terminate all buses at 23 street/QPS), but given traffic conditions, I think that would further worsen the 66 as it is (even with short-turns). It also included a Q69 rerouting onto 23 Street instead of 21 Street (following the current Q66 route north of 42 Road to get to 21 street).

I mean, I understand why the current bus network is the way it is, and I agree with you that it's very out-dated. Those sorta large one way loops are no longer a standard. The problem is how to fix all that. 

I know one of your suggestions is to terminate the Q39 at Court Square. Now, can agree with that. however, maybe a rush hour connection to Queensboro Plaza can be considered. All other times, the WB Q67 can handle that, the B24 and Q59 as well.

The B24 & Q59 can handle QBP? Fam, those are both WBP routes, not QBP......

Anyway, I don't think the Q66 should even run to QBP anymore - I believe that's a part of the problem w/ the Q66 now.... The demand is basically b/w that mall over there on [48th st/northern] & [flushing] itself... A bus route on 35th is for nothing more than coverage, and (in my little notepad I have in front of me here; jotted a LOT of stuff down on the ride in to work this morning) that is exactly what I'd do to the Q101.... Except I wouldn't run it down all the way to 21st (I'd turn buses on 31st; traffic rules permitting) - Meaning, nothing running on that part of Northern b/w the astoria line & the Q104.....

* I do have written down here, running some Q66's down to QB via 48th (with a question mark at the end).... That's about as far as I'll go with sending the Q66 past northern blvd subway.... The whole 35th > 21st > Queens plz. south is a waste of damn time for the Q66, and the many riders out of flushing, corona, and jackson heights are getting absolutely screwed because of it - To the point where you have local community leaders proposing Mets – Willets Point have full time service :lol:

But yeah, The Q69 I would do an absolute number to.... To sum it up (and I'm being very vague here at the moment), I would combine it with portions of the B32, cut the jackson heights portion & have it end at 19th/hazen (the Q100 would go on to serve rikers locally).... I would have Q69's short turning at Astoria PJ's (which eliminates the need for the 103 there, because those are the very folks taking that to the (F)).... Both the Q69 (full route) & the Q100 would run via 21st st & via 20th av - however, the Q69 would run LTD north of 21st st (F) (since it would not serve QBP, coming from Brooklyn) and the Q100 would run locally from QBP to rikers..... NewFlyer seems to have a similar idea, although I would not have 101's running to rikers (steinway [the neighborhood] patrons were vehement about having that not happen, hence the old 101r running along 21st).....

As far as the Q39 truncation to Court Sq, Long overdue IMO.... Always found it wasteful for it to run to QBP... Too many trips over the years absolutely tank at Court Sq heading towards QBP - and for the return trip down to Ridgewood, the riders begin to cram on at Court Sq.... For me, that says enough... Tells you where the demand is at/for.....

For any (major) changes mentioned, Service levels have not been figured out yet..... I am purely talking about physical routings right now & nothing else.....

Any questions, just ask..... I was gonna plot out these changes on a google map, but right now I am simply not in the mood.... Maybe I'll knock that out tomorrow or on sunday.....

See 1st paragraph to my reply to BM5's post about that whole Q66/Q101 swap in that area.... Outside of the expresses (QM2/3/20) using that part of northern as a bypass, I wouldn't have any buses using that stretch of northern.... Your Q100/Q101 idea I'll very briefly comment on in the last part of this post....

The Q102... Only thing I have written down for the 102 is to retain a connection b/w QBP & RI..... But I feel strongly about (not having) 2 routes running in RI (not counting the red bus), since I'd have 104's swing over there..... Someone on subchat had an idea of running B32's to Roosevelt Island, but TBH, I didn't give it much thought... Don't really have an opinion on it either way....

The Q104 I would simply run to Roosevelt Island... However, it would be via Broadway > 21st > 36th, instead of running down vernon to 36th....

I agree with you with the Q69; I've long said the MTA is misusing that route (in turn, giving way too much service to the Q100).... It's why the Q69 runs like shit & the Q100 runs like wildfire.....

I disagree with having Q101's serving rikers; consider where the baby mamma's are catching Q100's to ride out to rikers from (it sure as hell won't be from commercial steinway st, I can tell you that much)... I say the Q100 can still serve rikers, albeit at a much lesser rate...

Anyway, I don't think the Q66 should even run to QBP anymore - I believe that's a part of the problem w/ the Q66 now.... The demand is basically b/w that mall over there on [48th st/northern] & [flushing] itself... A bus route on 35th is for nothing more than coverage, and (in my little notepad I have in front of me here; jotted a LOT of stuff down on the ride in to work this morning) that is exactly what I'd do to the Q101.... Except I wouldn't run it down all the way to 21st (I'd turn buses on 31st; traffic rules permitting) - Meaning, nothing running on that part of Northern b/w the astoria line & the Q104.....

* I do have written down here, running some Q66's down to QB via 48th (with a question mark at the end).... That's about as far as I'll go with sending the Q66 past northern blvd subway.... The whole 35th > 21st > Queens plz. south is a waste of damn time for the Q66, and the many riders out of flushing, corona, and jackson heights are getting absolutely screwed because of it - To the point where you have local community leaders proposing Mets – Willets Point have full time service :lol:

But yeah, The Q69 I would do an absolute number to.... To sum it up (and I'm being very vague here at the moment), I would combine it with portions of the B32, cut the jackson heights portion & have it end at 19th/hazen (the Q100 would go on to serve rikers locally).... I would have Q69's short turning at Astoria PJ's (which eliminates the need for the 103 there, because those are the very folks taking that to the (F)).... Both the Q69 (full route) & the Q100 would run via 21st st & via 20th av - however, the Q69 would run LTD north of 21st st (F) (since it would not serve QBP, coming from Brooklyn) and the Q100 would run locally from QBP to rikers..... NewFlyer seems to have a similar idea, although I would not have 101's running to rikers (steinway [the neighborhood] patrons were vehement about having that not happen, hence the old 101r running along 21st).....

As far as the Q39 truncation to Court Sq, Long overdue IMO.... Always found it wasteful for it to run to QBP... Too many trips over the years absolutely tank at Court Sq heading towards QBP - and for the return trip down to Ridgewood, the riders begin to cram on at Court Sq.... For me, that says enough... Tells you where the demand is at/for.....

For any (major) changes mentioned, Service levels have not been figured out yet..... I am purely talking about physical routings right now & nothing else.....

Any questions, just ask..... I was gonna plot out these changes on a google map, but right now I am simply not in the mood.... Maybe I'll knock that out tomorrow or on sunday.....

See 1st paragraph to my reply to BM5's post about that whole Q66/Q101 swap in that area.... Outside of the expresses (QM2/3/20) using that part of northern as a bypass, I wouldn't have any buses using that stretch of northern.... Your Q100/Q101 idea I'll very briefly comment on in the last part of this post....

The Q102... Only thing I have written down for the 102 is to retain a connection b/w QBP & RI..... But I feel strongly about (not having) 2 routes running in RI (not counting the red bus), since I'd have 104's swing over there..... Someone on subchat had an idea of running B32's to Roosevelt Island, but TBH, I didn't give it much thought... Don't really have an opinion on it either way....

The Q104 I would simply run to Roosevelt Island... However, it would be via Broadway > 21st > 36th, instead of running down vernon to 36th....

I agree with you with the Q69; I've long said the MTA is misusing that route (in turn, giving way too much service to the Q100).... It's why the Q69 runs like shit & the Q100 runs like wildfire.....

I disagree with having Q101's serving rikers; consider where the baby mamma's are catching Q100's to ride out to rikers from (it sure as hell won't be from commercial steinway st, I can tell you that much)... I say the Q100 can still serve rikers, albeit at a much lesser rate...

I did mean B24 in the sense that they wuld utilize that to the (7) to get to QBP, or whever they need to (or take the B62 at Court Square), and I honestly don't know why I put the Q59 there.

I was also thinking about a possibility that the Q66 could be split at 51 Street. This way, the segments aren't unbalanced. The western portion seems a bit overserved during the late AM and early PM rush periods, but that's just me. Possibly a split could allow some buses to go to the (7). Or maybe have the Q66 run to 48 Street, and eliminate the Q104 from serving 48 street, and terminate there on Newtown Road.

In response to the 69 running on 20 Avenue, perhaps the 48 could be taken out of LGA (eastbound only) and be ran to 21 Street/ Ditmars Blvd. In addition to the 100 holding back the 69 back in ridership/potential, I think a portion of it deals with the same 66. 

The current bus system should be centered around Court Square (which is not the case), when all routes from the north and south congregate at QBP.

Sort of-Related, I guess, but when the Q103 is rerouted from Vernon, where do they send it? Queensboro Plaza. I mean, I understand to an extent why, but it shouldn't go to Court Square after QBP.

Talking about that, I would make the Q103 serve Court Square, before heading to Vernon-Jackson, and reroute it from 40/41 Avenues; the Q102 can handle that.

This is the Q103 map:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?authuser=0&hl=en&mid=zPbYEOS-H5O4.k-hbNFVCyoxk

The Q66 used to terminate at 21st (F) station which started the problem with bunching. The problem there was the turn around and that's probably the reason the (MTA) thought it would be best to terminate it at Queens Plaza. I do not like the distance those routes travel just to turn around and if it's crowded forget about the Q66 or just about any route showing up on time. I've seen the Q66 show up in fours and fives in Flushing and even leaving Flushing like that. For a route that has good ridership and has low head ways there should be more buses terminating in Woodside 48th Street then Queens Plaza. I would actually move the short turn to that street that the Q66 uses to turn onto Northern from 35th. That little mall over there can have a whole lot of people over there. I remember back in the QSC and early MTA bus takeover it would have a little crowd of people and the bus would should up after a 20 minute wait with a few people on it.

In my honest opinion I believe Astoria in general is overserved and that's why many routes like the Q19, Q101,Q102, Q103, Q104 have less than 3,500 people daily. The Q69 is the dominate route in the area and I believe the Q100 should have been eliminated in favor of a Q69 LTD. My original plan was to actually split Q69 service into two branches. One to East Elmhurst and one to Rikers. I later changed that to the Q101 to Rikers cause I know that branch of the Q69 might be renamed anyway. Now the Q101 to Rikers won't happen because people in the area didn't want their bus going to a jail. Those people on 21st don't mind, but now after giving it some thought I can see why they don't lol.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

OK good I see we are on the same page you have good points. I guess with Q104 we were thinking the same thing I admit I like that idea better than my Q39 one.

Or these modifications to NW queens:

Q101 & 104 merged into an L shaped route with higher frequencies. The Q101's Manhattan portion can be dropped and Q104's 48th segment transferred to rerouted Q39.

The Q39's Sunnyside residential segment transferred to the Q100.

Q39 can have 34th ave with 2 options go to QBP Or go directly to Roosevelt island not sure with the last idea though.

The merged Q101&104 would keep the 104 designation losing the Q101 number.

I do prefer the term "stupid mamma" over baby mamma as stupid is more accurate to describe them.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

Yeah, but people from Rikers Island (workers) may utilize those buses. I'd say that on Monday and Tuesday, every other trip of the day terminate at Rikers, and the rest terminate at the 101 terminal.

As for adding a stop at Steinway, I guess it could work.

Vis a vis the Q100...this is where I feel that the MTA should work with Corrections to schedule trips on those days around shift changes.

As much as I love the baby mama express, maybe Q100's could make local stops after Ditmars Boulevard? That limited gap is one of the only ones in the system, where there is only limited stop service and no local. People DO utilize the Q100, it gets crowded from the 1st stop from Riker's Island going southbound (getting on at 31st Street in the rush hour, it's already crowded, so I'm assuming this), so I don't think it should be replaced with a Q69 LTD.

Also Q69 limiteds would probably bunch on Ditmars Blvd. 20th Avenue doesn't get as much traffic.

Edited by TrainFanInfinity