Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

you do realize Q32 duplicates the (7)<7> right? Hence the lack of newer buses it just isn't a priority for the MTA.

In a way thats good, keep the good ol Orion V's on there for as long as possible!

Instead of two Bayside-Wall Street routes, maybe have one route that combines elements of the QM2 and QM20 (call it QM22?)— for example, from Bell & 212th via Bell, 23rd Avenue, Corporal Kennedy, 26th Avenue, Utopia Parkway, then follow the QM2 Saturday/Sunday routing.

As for the QM3/13, a Wall Street variant might be even more useful than the Midtown service (which duplicates the LIRR). 

I was thinking the same thing for the QM3

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you do realize Q32 duplicates the (7)<7> right? Hence the lack of newer buses it just isn't a priority for the MTA.

That's not the real reason (it's not even a reasoning at all). The reason is that CS (where the Q32 is based out of) hasn't recieved new buses in a while (last one was the Nova LFSAs for the Q44). They will receive new bus eventually, other depots have been getting the new fleets instead, because their equipment is even older than CS's equipment.

Express bus queens reshaped: motivation to make buses carry more per bus and speed up some routes even increase service on some corridors even by accident. Remove duplicative service.

Streamlined and corridor boost:

X63 taken off van wyck rerouted to lefferts partially replacing QM18. evening service added 5 additional trips these extra trips end at hook creek blvd & Merrick. End QM21 & 18 They are dead.

X68 rerouted via clear view expressway & northern Blvd making express stops on northern Blvd then follows QM3's route to Manhattan x68 routing won't change in Manhattan. Queensbound routing to be determined. New 212 st stop @hillside.

X64 drops liberty ave stops & dropped from van wyck as van wyck sucks. Rerouted to hillside ave replacing x68 stops. 1 stop at Frances Lewis & 1 queensbound 199th stop dropped. X64 becomes faster & x63 spared from van wyck traffic.

Qm1 reduced to peak only but extended to little neck via 188th/utopia and northern Blvd replacing QM3. Now you can drop QM3 as more frequent bus lines take over. People on northern Blvd will have more exp buses.

QM5/6 streamlined to decrease travel time to Manhattan & duplication of QBL exp&short bus ride. QM4 becomes peak only but QM6 (off-peak) will serve 164th street then cover jewel ave replacing QM4 offpeak then use van wyck to LIE for Manhattan.

Qm5 via 188th to LIE then non stop to 69th street then covers Eliot ave giving QM24 riders offpeak service through QM5 which will make QM24 stops to Manhattan.

That's not the real reason (it's not even a reasoning at all). The reason is that CS (where the Q32 is based out of) hasn't recieved new buses in a while (last one was the Nova LFSAs for the Q44). They will receive new bus eventually, other depots have been getting the new fleets instead, because their equipment is even older than CS's equipment.

Don't pay him any mind.  More gibberish from him as usual.

Express bus queens reshaped: motivation to make buses carry more per bus and speed up some routes even increase service on some corridors even by accident. Remove duplicative service.

X63 taken off van wyck rerouted to lefferts partially replacing QM18. evening service added 5 additional trips these extra trips end at hook creek blvd & Merrick. End QM21 & 18 They are dead.

X68 rerouted via clear view expressway & northern Blvd making express stops on northern Blvd then follows QM3's route to Manhattan x68 routing won't change in Manhattan. Queensbound routing to be determined. New 212 st stop @hillside.

X64 drops liberty ave stops & dropped from van wyck as van wyck sucks. Rerouted to hillside ave replacing x68 stops. 1 stop at Frances Lewis & 1 queensbound 199th stop dropped. X64 becomes faster & x63 spared from van wyck traffic.

Qm1 reduced to peak only but extended to little neck via 188th/utopia and northern Blvd replacing QM3. Now you can drop QM3 as more frequent bus lines take over. People on northern Blvd will have more exp buses.

QM5/6 streamlined to decrease travel time to Manhattan & duplication of QBL exp&short bus ride. QM4 becomes peak only but QM6 (off-peak) will serve 164th street then cover jewel ave replacing QM4 offpeak then use van wyck to LIE for Manhattan.

Qm5 via 188th to LIE then non stop to 69th street then covers Eliot ave giving QM24 riders offpeak service through QM5 which will make QM24 stops to Manhattan.

These proposals are ridiculous! The QM5 is already long enough as it is along with some of the other changes you recommended.  No one is going to wait to sit that long just to get into Manhattan!

new ideas.

Extend the Q19 to 125th St/Lexington Ave via the RFK Bridge

Truncate the Q60 to Queens Plaza and replace with the Q66 going to Manhattan

reroute the Q50 in Co-Op City to follow the BxM7 and terminate at Dreiser Loop

Truncate the Q32 to Grand Central Terminal.

extend the Q34 further into Whitestone via the former Q14 route.

eliminate the Q15A

create 3 new express routes

QM9-Wall Street variant of the QM2

QM13-Wall Street variant of the QM3

QM19-Wall Street variant of the QM20

also extend the hours of QM3 service. 6-9 to Manhattan, 4-7 from Manhattan

- The Q60 is more useful on the Manhattan end than it is on the Jamaica end.... That, and cutting it to have the Q66 running to Manhattan would be a service cut..... I can't fathom there being more (or even an equivalent) demand for Northern Blvd than Queens Blvd.....

- Q32 to GCT full time? Nah, That would give the MTA a reason to cut service on that route IMO.... It running to Penn helps supplement 5th/Madison av service (VG8 has a point with that) - In turn, this benefits Queens riders b/c it means that much more trips overall are running on that route.... Saying this another way, if it were to be cut to 42nd st full time, the current service levels on the Q32 throughout the day would worsen..... So I'd rather have the Q32 running to Penn full time with 42nd st being a short turn terminal, than having the Q32 running to 42nd; GCT full time....

- The whole Q14/Q15a thing is water under the bridge to AFAIC... More people take the 15/a than they did the 14 when it existed anyway....

- The only question I have about those wall street variants to the QM2/3/20 is - Would those variants be additional services, or would those variants cut into current service?

Under that theory, there wouldn't be a Q32 for the MTA to worry about introducing a newer fleet to....

Not a doubt in my mind that they really want to get rid of these bus routes in the outerboroughs that parallel subways for a large portion of the route (the Q56's, B25's, Q32's, Bx4's, etc of the world)....

That could work. Because of that, then the X63 should have two added stops at 142 and Supthin Blvd (which shouldn't really increase runtime). I would do that setup (you mentioned) in the PM, since the X63 runs have similar runtimes to the QM21 (so the 21 would run non-stop on Linden like you mentioned, but make all the same X63 stops in Briarwood with the X63). The AM routing on the X63 winds too much through Manhattan to compare to the QM21 (but the 21 comes less frequently).

Those last two depatures from Manhattan can be the all stops X63A, making all stops up to Guy R Brewer, then on to Rochdale Village.

So, as far as notation it would be an X63/X63A  (X63: Rosedale Express/ X63A Rochdale Express) or some other notation, to make it seem as if the QM21 has some relation to the X63.

There would also need to make the QM21 stop with the X63 as well. For the most part, that can be done, however, the 38/44 Street QM21 and the 40/48 Street X63 stop are kinda scattered around, and the 23 Street stops would have to be relocated slightly (on the QM21).

Forgot to mention that those QB stops would be retained; it would "borrow" riders from the x64/68 that way....

As far as the midtown stops, the current QM21 stops would be discontinued, as the would be "rochdale express" would be an x63 service (short turn/variant).....

I wasn't even thinking about making the x63 a Rosedale express on top of it, but that could work as well...

Only question to that is, where would the first dropoff stop in Queens be (well, after the QB stops, I mean)....

I really have to finish up these queens bus ideas....

This a joke, right?

Consider the source (and I'm not being insulting with that either).....

There's a reason I didn't reply to those ideas of his.... He's doing nothing more than trying to "New Jersey" our commuter express routes.... There is no way in hell you're gonna have a route take on the QM18 to then swing over to Rosedale & serve those folks without significantly increasing runtime.... Same goes for having one route serve the eastern portion of the real x68 & the western portion of the QM3....

I can hop on a 165T (for example) & feel as if once I get out of the helix, I'm straight - Regardless if I'm going to Hackensack or Westwood (last stop).... I can not say the same if I'm on QJT's suggested x68 route & I need Bellerose/Floral Park....

Forgot to mention that those QB stops would be retained; it would "borrow" riders from the x64/68 that way....

As far as the midtown stops, the current QM21 stops would be discontinued, as the would be "rochdale express" would be an x63 service (short turn/variant).....

I wasn't even thinking about making the x63 a Rosedale express on top of it, but that could work as well...

Only question to that is, where would the first dropoff stop in Queens be (well, after the QB stops, I mean)....

I really have to finish up these queens bus ideas....

You could have the Rosedale Express' first stop on Linden or on Merrick (@ Linden Blvd). However, for the last option the Rochdale bus would have to make all stops.

A setup like that could work in the PM

I have several set-ups, I don't know, of those which you prefer the most, so here's the set-ups

Option 1:

X63 (Rosedale): Non-stop until 170 Street

X63A/QM21: All current X63 stops until Guy R Brewer

Option 2:

X63 (Rosedale): "Limited-stop", stopping at Union Tpke, Sutphin, and 170 Street, making all current stops afterward

63A :all X63 stops until Guy R Brewer, then current QM21 routing

Option 3 (Your Proposal):

X63: All current stops (+ QM21 stops on Linden)

QM21: Non-stop from Hoover to Guy R Brewer, then current routing

Option 4 (My Suggestion):

X63 Rosedale: All current stops ; select peak bus

QM21: Rochdale Express (non-stop from Hoover to Guy R Brewer)

X63 Rosedale Express: Non stop until 170 ; select peak bus

Option 5 (Alternative Suggestion): 

X63 Rosedale Express (non stop until 170); select Peak buses (where a QM21 bus is right behind it or near it as scheduled)

QM21: ALL QM21/X63 stops until Guy R Brewer, then on to Rochdale

X63 Rosedale: Midday and select Peak buses.

Essentially What would happen

PM

X63 buses from 1 Avenue (Rosedale Super Express): 4:04 PM, 4:34 PM, 5:02 PM, 5:41 PM, 6:35 PM, 7:00 PM

X63 buses from 1 Avenue (Rosedale): 3:49 PM, 4:19 PM, 4:48 PM, 5:14 PM, 5:26 PM, 5:56 PM, 6:15 PM

X63A buses from 1 Avenue (Rochdale): 4:07 PM, 4:37 PM, 5:07 PM, 5:37 PM, 6:07 PM, 6:37 PM, 7:07 PM, 8:07 PM, 9:07 PM.

AM

Service would be kept, so residents still have option for 3 Avenue or Madison Avenue service.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

You could have the Rosedale Express' first stop on Linden or on Merrick (@ Linden Blvd). However, for the last option the Rochdale bus would have to make all stops.

A setup like that could work in the PM

I have several set-ups, I don't know, of those which you prefer the most, so here's the set-ups

Option 1:

X63 (Rosedale): Non-stop until 170 Street

X63A/QM21: All current X63 stops until Guy R Brewer

Option 2:

X63 (Rosedale): "Limited-stop", stopping at Union Tpke, Sutphin, and 170 Street, making all current stops afterward

63A :all X63 stops until Guy R Brewer, then current QM21 routing

Option 3 (Your Proposal):

X63: All current stops (+ QM21 stops on Linden)

QM21: Non-stop from Hoover to Guy R Brewer, then current routing

Option 4 (My Suggestion):

X63 Rosedale: All current stops ; select peak bus

QM21: Rochdale Express (non-stop from Hoover to Guy R Brewer)

X63 Rosedale Express: Non stop until 170 ; select peak bus

Option 5 (Alternative Suggestion): 

X63 Rosedale Express (non stop until 170); select Peak buses (where a QM21 bus is right behind it or near it as scheduled)

QM21: ALL QM21/X63 stops until Guy R Brewer, then on to Rochdale

X63 Rosedale: Midday and select Peak buses.

Essentially What would happen

PM

X63 buses from 1 Avenue (Rosedale Super Express): 4:04 PM, 4:34 PM, 5:02 PM, 5:41 PM, 6:35 PM, 7:00 PM

X63 buses from 1 Avenue (Rosedale): 3:49 PM, 4:19 PM, 4:48 PM, 5:14 PM, 5:26 PM, 5:56 PM, 6:15 PM

X63A buses from 1 Avenue (Rochdale): 4:07 PM, 4:37 PM, 5:07 PM, 5:37 PM, 6:07 PM, 6:37 PM, 7:07 PM, 8:07 PM, 9:07 PM.

AM

Service would be kept, so residents still have option for 3 Avenue or Madison Avenue service.

explain your reasoning for keeping the qm21 while x63 needs the buses and is what folks flock to.

Why not leave the routes as is, and if the issue is not enough QM24 service, implement QM24 service as a new service.

Those proposals (for the most part) add unnecessary mileage and runtime.

actually this reduces qm5 milage as it will bypass Union tpk & queens blvd but that change will be middays & evenings only. After 188th@ LIE it will be non stop to 69th and Eliot making QM24 Stops to Manhattan giving most QM24 riders full-time service the reason for this instead of separate QM24 buses is to have more riders per bus during off-peak times.

Consider the source (and I'm not being insulting with that either).....

There's a reason I didn't reply to those ideas of his.... He's doing nothing more than trying to "New Jersey" our commuter express routes.... There is no way in hell you're gonna have a route take on the QM18 to then swing over to Rosedale & serve those folks without significantly increasing runtime.... Same goes for having one route serve the eastern portion of the real x68 & the western portion of the QM3....

I can hop on a 165T (for example) & feel as if once I get out of the helix, I'm straight - Regardless if I'm going to Hackensack or Westwood (last stop).... I can not say the same if I'm on QJT's suggested x68 route & I need Bellerose/Floral Park....

Interesting logic mine is to get x68 off queens blvd to speed up the trip while increasing express service along northern Blvd.

As for x64 reroute logic is to spare those riders from the van wyck and retain express service on the western portion of hillside as well as increase x64 ridership slightly even though it performs better than the bxm4 & avoid competition with frequent Q83 LTD service and challenging the Q3 which is not as great is much easier even for just a stint.

The x63 move is to avoid van wyck traffic mainly I won't expect lefferts to pick up much it just justifies dropping the QM18 Even though cait pointed out that it's ridership is dismal in other words I am using MTA standard logic with this move no this x63 won't stop on queens blvd.

The QM6/4 move is consolidating buses thus removing empty buses.

The QM5 move is to speed up the trip while adding new service to a corridor that needs it the most. In other words less wasted time on queens blvd & Union tpk(west). Rather than add full-time QM24 buses that may just empty out past Eliot anyway. In other words more riders per bus & avoiding going against the QBL express directly doing more with less.

Interesting is lefferts blvd & northern Blvd that bad? Is northern Blvd worse than queens blvd? For x63 move I may have made an error. The x64 in a nutshell is to skip van wyck. Qm5 to add to Eliot & reach fresh meadows faster when the LIE is not as bad. Question how is LIE & it's service rd on weekends between 69th & 188th? I did notice exit 19 service rd ect is sometimes used by some bus operators to skip past main LIE traffic I witnessed it on a Manhattan bound QM2 while I used it.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

I suggest extending the Q64 along 164th Street to the QM4's terminal at Horace Harding Expressway. What do you think?

Nope the Q64 is good the way it is. The turn around for the Q64 would be difficult. Having to go either to Utopia Parkway or Kissena Blvd just to turn around won't work. It works with the QM4 because most of the time the buses head back to the depot or they sometimes they switch with the QM1.

Nope the Q64 is good the way it is. The turn around for the Q64 would be difficult. Having to go either to Utopia Parkway or Kissena Blvd just to turn around won't work. It works with the QM4 because most of the time the buses head back to the depot or they sometimes they switch with the QM1.

that explains the QM4'S Route.

I suggest extending the Q64 along 164th Street to the QM4's terminal at Horace Harding Expressway. What do you think?

Forget it....

The purpose is to get to/from Queens Blvd as quick as possible with that route.... The turnaround scenario that would exist for buses heading back towards Queens Blvd would be too significant a waste of time....

I'm thinking of a few routes that will provide service between the Queens Zoo and Flushing:

1. Simple route between Queens Zoo and Flushing-Main Street, every 30 minutes. Called Q62. Via 111 Street and Roosevelt Avenue terminating at H.H. Expressway and Saultell Avenue.

2. Extension of the Q50 via mentioned route.

3. Split the Q39 back into the original Q39 and Q50 routes. Extend the old Q50's eastern terminal to be as follows:

Eastbound routes go regular Q39 route via 99 Street, left on 57 Avenue onto Martense Avenue, right onto Van Doren Street, left on Saultell Avenue, onto 111 Street, and the Q62 route to Flushing.

Westbound routes com from the Q62 route via 111 Street, right on Saultell Avenue, Right on Waldron Street, left on Otis Avenue, onto H.H. Expressway, and regular Q39/old Q50 route to Metropolitan Avenue.

4. Use my old Bx54 plan between Fordham Plaza and Flushing with a few tweaks. It will now be like the current Q50 plan and have limited stops between Flushing and West Farms.

5. Extend a bus from Bayside to go past Main Street to head along the Q62 path.

I'm thinking of a few routes that will provide service between the Queens Zoo and Flushing:

1. Simple route between Queens Zoo and Flushing-Main Street, every 30 minutes. Called Q62. Via 111 Street and Roosevelt Avenue terminating at H.H. Expressway and Saultell Avenue.

3. Split the Q39 back into the original Q39 and Q50 routes. Extend the old Q50's eastern terminal to be as follows:

Eastbound routes go regular Q39 route via 99 Street, left on 57 Avenue onto Martense Avenue, right onto Van Doren Street, left on Saultell Avenue, onto 111 Street, and the Q62 route to Flushing.

Westbound routes com from the Q62 route via 111 Street, right on Saultell Avenue, Right on Waldron Street, left on Otis Avenue, onto H.H. Expressway, and regular Q39/old Q50 route to Metropolitan Avenue.

4. Use my old Bx54 plan between Fordham Plaza and Flushing with a few tweaks. It will now be like the current Q50 plan and have limited stops between Flushing and West Farms.

All this just to provide service to a (much lesser traveled) zoo in the city. All this is not worth it

No one in Bayside would want to go to the Queens Zoo, the Q38 should be left alone with it's route as it currently it. I don't agree with it being split, especially so that it can serve the zoo. 

Just take the (7) to 111, walk, get there, and call it a day. No need for a bus route to that zoo anyways.

how about simply rerouting Q58 or just walk from Q58 the 1 block.