LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If trains can stop at Fordham, they can stop at those stations as well.

But if trains have to birdgeplate at Fordham, should they waste time attempting to spot an open door at Melrose and Treemont as well?  That was probably one big cog in the wheel during rush hours...trying to get the doors lined up with the bridgeplates (plus boarding and alighting on bridgeplates takes longer than on a regular platform too...time trains don't have when they're already 10 minutes late).

• 3 weeks later...

Am I the only one surprised that MNRR & LIRR have continued the practice of selling on board tickets for so long? Personally I'd discontinue the practice and simply issue summons to those who don't purchase beforehand. Take into consideration the possibility of increased revenue from the summonses, which in turn could go into improving the respective system.

Any opinions in regard to the thought?

Am I the only one surprised that MNRR & LIRR have continued the practice of selling on board tickets for so long? Personally I'd discontinue the practice and simply issue summons to those who don't purchase beforehand. Take into consideration the possibility of increased revenue from the summonses, which in turn could go into improving the respective system.

There are legitimate reasons why some don't have a ticket prior to boarding and that's the reason the surcharge is in place for on board fares.

If there were to be summonses issued, who is going to write them and follow up in court?  As it is getting the police can be an issue.

Edited by Truckie

Most people that I see do board with a ticket beforehand, so as to avoid having to pay the on board fare, so it isn't that big of a problem.  I would not discontinue it because as Truckie said, there could be many reasons why people buy tickets on board.  I remember one time I needed a ticket and the machines were messing up.  Luckily after trying a second time it spit out my ticket because otherwise, I would've had to have bought a ticket on the train.

I know the Iarnród Éireann (Ireland's lame excuse for a national rail system) has done away with onboard fares.  I know their fare beating policy is quite simple.  If you don't have a valid ticket onboard the train you get a 100 fine (~$133) penalty fine.  No exceptions.

I could go for something like that (though onboard payment of tickets would still be a necessity of some form as not all stations have TVM's or ticket windows).

I know the Iarnród Éireann (Ireland's lame excuse for a national rail system) has done away with onboard fares.  I know their fare beating policy is quite simple.  If you don't have a valid ticket onboard the train you get a €100 fine (~$133) penalty fine.  No exceptions.

I could go for something like that (though onboard payment of tickets would still be a necessity of some form as not all stations have TVM's or ticket windows).

Look at you... All fancy with the accents... Does someone speak Gaelic as well??  <_<

There are legitimate reasons why some don't have a ticket prior to boarding and that's the reason the surcharge is in place for on board fares.

If there were to be summonses issued, who is going to write them and follow up in court?  As it is getting the police can be an issue.

I know some systems around the world set up their onboard fare systems like so:

The flat-fare for travel anywhere in the system is $80, payable to the conductor.  Discounted tickets are available at TVM's and ticket offices before getting onboard the train.

That way, if you think $80 is too steep for the 10 minute ride from Mineola to Hicksville, you can purchase the discounted ticket at the TVM for the current $3 price and just present the ticket to the conductor onboard. 

But if you didn't want to bother with TVM's or ticket windows you could just get on the train and when the conductor comes to you just pay the flat-fare rate of $80.  No tickets, no citations, no courtroom appearances, just give the conductor four $20 bills and carry on with your day.  Persons without the proper funds will be handled just like they are today (i.e. written a bill if they have ID or handed over to the police when possible).

Thanks for your input guys.

P.S. My favorite solution right here.

I know some systems around the world set up their onboard fare systems like so:

The flat-fare for travel anywhere in the system is $80, payable to the conductor.  Discounted tickets are available at TVM's and ticket offices before getting onboard the train.

That way, if you think $80 is too steep for the 10 minute ride from Mineola to Hicksville, you can purchase the discounted ticket at the TVM for the current $3 price and just present the ticket to the conductor onboard. 

But if you didn't want to bother with TVM's or ticket windows you could just get on the train and when the conductor comes to you just pay the flat-fare rate of $80.  No tickets, no citations, no courtroom appearances, just give the conductor four $20 bills and carry on with your day.  Persons without the proper funds will be handled just like they are today (i.e. written a bill if they have ID or handed over to the police when possible).

A damn shame it will not go over well at all.

I got to ride 9772, the first M3 built, on the train home earlier today.  I was sitting on the last train of a 10-car train and a while after the conductor came to collect my ticket, she sat down in the engineer's cab of that car and I noticed there was writing on the inside of the door - "9772 THE FIRST M3 BUILT 1984."

I know the Iarnród Éireann (Ireland's lame excuse for a national rail system) has done away with onboard fares.  I know their fare beating policy is quite simple.  If you don't have a valid ticket onboard the train you get a 100 fine (~$133) penalty fine.  No exceptions.

Amtrak is much worse

Well I saw something interesting this morning on the way in from Riverdale.  When we reached the Bronx and came upon the Morris Heights station, a lady in a wheelchair was on the platform with what probably was her home attendant.  I couldn't see from where I was sitting but it looked like the MNRR employee collecting the tickets (conductor?) on the train did something and then proceeded to allow her to board.  It was the first time that I've seen a wheelchair on MNRR.  When we got to Grand Central, another worker came along and put down a "ramp" so that she could get off and not have a problem with the gap.

Two questions:

-Why do the stations have that big gap? 

-Do they use any special mechanisms when helping wheelchair passengers get on and off of the train?

-They must keep that manual ramp handy.  I was wondering where it came from?

-Why do the stations have that big gap? 

-Do they use any special mechanisms when helping wheelchair passengers get on and off of the train?

-They must keep that manual ramp handy.  I was wondering where it came from?

Gaps between the train and the station platform are necessary to allow trains to safely clear the side of the platform edge (including cushions for varied sized trains, stations on curves, and trains passing at speed).  Rail systems all around the world have gaps between the platform and the train.

Gap plates (or ramps), small steel plates a little wider than a wheelchair that are placed to safely bridge the gap between the platform and the train for wheelchairs, are often used to help disabled persons safely board and alight the train.  On M7's, they are stored in the Handicapt area, located at the B-end of every B-car (odd numbered cars).  They are also located in various similar locations in M3's and Shoreliners (usually near the handicap/toilet area) and on some station platforms.

Gaps between the train and the station platform are necessary to allow trains to safely clear the side of the platform edge (including cushions for varied sized trains, stations on curves, and trains passing at speed).  Rail systems all around the world have gaps between the platform and the train.

Gap plates (or ramps), small steel plates a little wider than a wheelchair that are placed to safely bridge the gap between the platform and the train for wheelchairs, are often used to help disabled persons safely board and alight the train.  On M7's, they are stored in the Handicapt area, located at the B-end of every B-car (odd numbered cars).  They are also located in various similar locations in M3's and Shoreliners (usually near the handicap/toilet area) and on some station platforms.

Well of course there are gaps. It just seems as if the MNRR gaps a bit wider than what I've seen at most subway stations.  

The question is why?? Why does the MNRR have larger gaps at their stations?

Because Subway stations do not have trains whizzing by them at speeds as high as 80 mph, because trains going at those speeds experience a lot of track hunting, because Subway stations do not have freight trains passing near them, because Subway stations are rarely on a curve, because Subway equipment is all one size (while MN cars are similarly sized, exact dimensions between types of MU, locos, and coaches varies slightly), because Subway tacks are rarely banked (1" banking = 1" gap), et cetera.

Because Subway stations do not have trains whizzing by them at speeds as high as 80 mph, because trains going at those speeds experience a lot of track hunting, because Subway stations do not have freight trains passing near them, because Subway stations are rarely on a curve, because Subway equipment is all one size (while MN cars are similarly sized, exact dimensions between types of MU, locos, and coaches varies slightly), because Subway tacks are rarely banked (1" banking = 1" gap), et cetera.

Now that makes sense...

The LIRR's August Operating Report prepared for Monday's LIRR Committee Meeting let loose the month of August's unsettling On-Time Percentage numbers, and they are not pretty. In August 2013 the LIRR achieved an overall 91.9% system OTP. However, the average OTP in the AM Peak period was an abysmal 84.3%. That's easily one of the worst AM peak OTP numbers I've ever seen, and it's probably safe to say that ranks among the worst in recent years.

In August 2013, the average lateness of trains was 15.2 minutes. In total 435 trains were over 15 minutes late this period, nearly double the amount of trains that were 15 minutes or more late this time last year. In August 2013, 78 trains were cancelled (well over three times as many as last year) and 42 trains were terminated before they reached their final destination (these 120 trains are not factored into the OTP numbers, so in reality, the numbers above are much worse).

EDIT: since the forum software keeps unformatting my tables (everything lines up properly in the posting box, but when I hit "submit" is scrambled everything around for some reason), I'll post a link to a page on my site which has a more detailed breakdown and analysis of the OTP numbers and the causes of delays for August 2013: http://thelirrtoday.blogspot.com/2013/09/august-otp-plummets-am-peak-among-worst.html

Edited by lirr42