LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone answer this brief question...

What exactly is a stop over?

On the LIRR, you can "stopover" at a station along your trip, so long as you complete the trip in the same day.  So you could go from New York to Mineola, then Mineola to Ronkonkoma all for the price of a New York-Ronkonkoma ticket.

On the LIRR, you can "stopover" at a station along your trip, so long as you complete the trip in the same day.  So you could go from New York to Mineola, then Mineola to Ronkonkoma all for the price of a New York-Ronkonkoma ticket.

Have you (or someone you know) ever attempted this? I'd imagine the conductors would look at you strange when you asked for it or downright deny it.

Just like how the tariff states that monthly school ticket applications during the summer need not be signed if the applicant presents a current student ID. Though I've told my friends to get them signed beforehand to avoid confusion, inevitably someone forgets to do so. Every ticket agent I told them to use the provision on said it didn't exist. Except one, who told him that he'd look it up and get back to him the next day. The next day my friend came to me saying the ticket agent was astonished to find it and knew nothing of such a provision!

Have you (or someone you know) ever attempted this? I'd imagine the conductors would look at you strange when you asked for it or downright deny it.

Just like how the tariff states that monthly school ticket applications during the summer need not be signed if the applicant presents a current student ID. Though I've told my friends to get them signed beforehand to avoid confusion, inevitably someone forgets to do so. Every ticket agent I told them to use the provision on said it didn't exist. Except one, who told him that he'd look it up and get back to him the next day. The next day my friend came to me saying the ticket agent was astonished to find it and knew nothing of such a provision!

I have personally never done it, as I almost always travel on a monthly.  I have told other people about the idea, but I don't know if they tried it or if it worked out.

I know the stopover would definitely works Amtrak, so there's definitely precedent for it, we just have to see if the conductors and collectors recognize the procedure.

I know the stopover would definitely works Amtrak, so there's definitely precedent for it, we just have to see if the conductors and collectors recognize the procedure.

You can't compare what happens on Amtrak with Metro North or LIRR. All three are completely independent of one another.

Stop thinking. As I've said I'm enjoying life on the Harlem Line these days.

I actually took the last Metro-North train last night out of Grand Central since my BxM2 express bus was MIA. <_<  The train was kind of dirty and all of these drunk folks were on it. This one guy was asking me if the train stopped at Beacon and I just told him that it was the Hudson Line since I couldn't remember off of the top of my head.  I think you have to transfer for that stop across the platform.  I actually had some Germans sitting across from me yacking in Deutsch. It was an interesting trip to say the least, but certainly not what I'm used to seeing when I ride in the mornings.

You can't compare what happens on Amtrak with Metro North or LIRR. All three are completely independent of one another.

I never compared them.  I simply stated that Amtrak has a similar policy, so it's not likely the concept of stop-overs is something completely and totally unique to the LIRR.

I actually took the last Metro-North train last night out of Grand Central since my BxM2 express bus was MIA. <_< The train was kind of dirty and all of these drunk folks were on it. This one guy was asking me if the train stopped at Beacon and I just told him that it was the Hudson Line since I couldn't remember off of the top of my head. I think you have to transfer for that stop across the platform. I actually had some Germans sitting across from me yacking in Deutsch. It was an interesting trip to say the least, but certainly not what I'm used to seeing when I ride in the mornings.

Welcome to Friday night on the railroad. Lol

That's all that is... I thought it was something more involved.... Thanks.

I've done that plenty of times (and didn't even know it had a name for it)... pay for a patchogue ticket, do a little routefanning in Babylon, head back to Babylon, hop on one of the diesel's to patchogue, and do some fanning out there as well.....

I actually took the last Metro-North train last night out of Grand Central since my BxM2 express bus was MIA. <_<  The train was kind of dirty and all of these drunk folks were on it. This one guy was asking me if the train stopped at Beacon and I just told him that it was the Hudson Line since I couldn't remember off of the top of my head.  I think you have to transfer for that stop across the platform.  I actually had some Germans sitting across from me yacking in Deutsch. It was an interesting trip to say the least, but certainly not what I'm used to seeing when I ride in the mornings.

welcome to the drunktrain.

Here its Cubs fans and drunks after the last express in the summer... I havent taken a late train recently to experience the horror sadly :P

Must have been early still being they were only drunk.  It's when they start puking that you have to worry about it.

Oh no not just that, the fighting and screaming of them too. I've had that happen. Or when they fall over everywhere

This was the last train of the night (the 01:50 train out of Grand Central). I tried to avoid those crowds. I actually moved like twice to a different car altogether. lol

Ugh. That is the single most worst train on the Hudson Line expecially on Friday and Saturday nights. From the few times I've worked it I have nothing good to say about it.

lol... I can see why... All of the drunks and freaks are on that train.  <_<

Atleast it was ontime.... Had to rush between two Metra lines today because a signal decided to go kaput and they had to hardline trains through the area. Mind you... this is on a 3 track railroad, with speeds at 79+ (they call it the "Speedway", before an accident in the 40's trains used to hit 90-100 mph).

Made it with one minute to spare.....

Ugh. That is the single most worst train on the Hudson Line expecially on Friday and Saturday nights. From the few times I've worked it I have nothing good to say about it.

How is it during sporting events and St Patty's day?

How is it during sporting events and St Patty's day?

St Patty's Day is the single most worst day on Metro North, PERIOD! 

The worst of the sporting events are Yankee games.  The trains closest to the start of the game and the ending of the game are the worst as far as crowds.  In most cases the conductors can not sweep to get tickets hence the reason for the gate collection at the station. 

The rowdy ones can usually be convinced to calm down when threatened by a visit from the police.

Daylight Saving Time ends tomorrow morning at 2:00am, here's what the LIRR does to manage the time change: http://thelirrtoday.blogspot.com/2013/11/daylight-saving-time-and-lirr-fall-2013.html

(Metro-North isn't adversely affected since they don't have any trains that depart their initial terminals after 2:00am anyways)

Depends. If there's a little delay on the Harlem line then the last train to Southeast will depart after 2:00 AM. (the last one is scheduled to leave Grand Central at 1:56 AM) Of course, that's not very likely but given that it's only 4 minutes it *may* happen and they have to think of that scenario.

Depends. If there's a little delay on the Harlem line then the last train to Southeast will depart after 2:00 AM. (the last one is scheduled to leave Grand Central at 1:56 AM) Of course, that's not very likely but given that it's only 4 minutes it *may* happen and they have to think of that scenario.

There are train en route when the time change happens, but we only use scheduled initial terminal departure times when we have to start worrying about canceling or adding extra trains.

Depends. If there's a little delay on the Harlem line then the last train to Southeast will depart after 2:00 AM. (the last one is scheduled to leave Grand Central at 1:56 AM) Of course, that's not very likely but given that it's only 4 minutes it *may* happen and they have to think of that scenario.

In most cases trains will still leave their initial terminal on time. When service is suspended then it's a different story.

I guess Truckie is the only one who actually understood what I was talking about. lirr42, I may suggest you reading my post again.

Perhaps you can help me understand, then...

On the LIRR, at least, when they account for daylight saving time, they always used the scheduled initial terminal departure time (or in the cases for eastbound trains that originate at Jamaica or Valley Stream, the latest possible NYP connection) to determine which trains will or will not run.  In the spring, trains that are scheduled to depart in the 2:00am hour (which is skipped when DST begins) are annulled and in the fall trains run in the 1:00am Eastern Daylight hour but not the 1:00am Eastern Standard hour (though there are two extra trains added in to fill the gap that are not on any schedule). 

Since all Metro-North trains are scheduled to leave their initial terminals before the time change goes into effect, MNCR doesn't have to add or subtract any trains from the schedule to account for this.  Service disruptions are another story, as each event would have its own resolution, but on the normal run in the mill night, MNCR would have little trouble, no?

That's what I said: one disruption and the last train to SE falls into the 2AM hour. It's only 4 minutes so one little delay would force it to leave GC after 2 AM. Of course, that's not expected to happen but when accounting for times, you should always make sure you cover the worst case scenario. And in case of only 4 minutes I'd say it's likely something *might* delay the train thus leaving the terminal too late. Not expected, but there's a chance.