The A Super Express Train

East New York

How would the LIRR get to Fulton St Center?

There were a few ideas thrown around, from a new tunnel to using the Cranberry Tunnel the (A) and (C) use or the Rutgers Tunnel the (F) uses (Yes, you read that correctly)

As already mentioned, though, the incredibly tight spacing at Atlantic Av makes any LIRR extension from Brooklyn pretty unfeasible. The LIRR tracks would make it all of 20 feet before running into the (2)(3)(4)(5) tracks.

Not that I'm in favor of the LIRR extension when people can just transfer to the other subway lines to get to LM, but I would have to imagine they would need to build a new station below the existing terminal if the LIRR were to be extended past Flatbush-Atlantic.

As for the proposals for what tunnel the LIRR would seize: I think it was the Montague (R) tunnel or Cranberry (and shift (A)(C) service over to the rutgers st tunnel with the (F)).

LIRR could also just backtrack a bit. I mean, just use the tracks to Jamaica and make a new curve/tunnel/whatever that branches off just outside of the station on that side. There are lots of stations in the world where such a thing happens like that, so it could be done.

OK after looking up info on the proposal, according to the NY Times , the convention center IS to be at Aqueduct. The artical includes a concept of the center integrated to the existing Racino. Now, lets look at the current transit options:

2 subway stations, bith on the Rockaway Branch of the A, and the Q37, recently re-routed to serve aqueduct and the Q 11 across the subway from aqueduct.

Now IF this idea becomes reality, there are limited options that can be done to improve service with out breaking the bank. off the top of my head, heres a few ideas that can be looked at:

Logical and cost effective, short to long term:

1) Expand the current Aqueduct Racetrack station to allow trains in both directions to stop there and maybe even terminate/originate

2) Provide Bus service(possibly SBS) to and from possible northern terminals connecting to rail (Lefferts, Rockaway Blvd, Jamaica, Kew Gardens) current routes can be used for this(Q9,Q10,Q37 for example.

Logical, long term but costly:

1) Extention of Lefferts Branch south providing all A trains to serve Aqueduct

2) activating old Rockaway Beach LIRR ROW as a rehash of an old 1920s IND proposal.

The following ideas IMO, some already mentioned here, are illogical, highly costly, and is probably made by someone with absolutly no knowledge of engineering, current service patterns, or just thinks tunnels can just be dug like this was 1903:

1) activating old Rockaway LIRR ROW for LIRR service. The LIRR hasnt shown intrest in this since abandoning it in 1952

2) 1, plus a new tunnel into lower manhattan. How long does it take to built a short tunnel? For the answer, check out the 7 train extention, LIRRs ESA, the 63rd ST/Queens Blvd tunnel connector......

3) an A super epress using existing tracks. Worked for the JFK Exp, but service pattern changes since 1990 have rendered this service pattern basically impossible now.

remember, when talking about possible changes/extentions/routes, think smart. look at history, finances, contruction techniques/times, routing, service patterns.

saying "they can just simply build a tunnel" or "add service" IMO, should rethink their tittle as "rail fan" of do a little more homework.

"1) activating old Rockaway LIRR ROW for LIRR service. The LIRR hasnt shown intrest in this since abandoning it in 1952"

So? Times change. Maybe if they share the costs with someone (for example the governor), then maybe they will show interest. I can think of various examples in the world where they reactivated old branches after years of non-interest.

"1) activating old Rockaway LIRR ROW for LIRR service. The LIRR hasnt shown intrest in this since abandoning it in 1952"

So? Times change. Maybe if they share the costs with someone (for example the governor), then maybe they will show interest. I can think of various examples in the world where they reactivated old branches after years of non-interest.

times do change. But if the LIRR was really truly still interested in new queens service, they'd probably put more current money in fixing all the CTZ stations first and not just the Atlantic Ave line.

Theres a better chance using the ROW for subway service.

Not that I'm in favor of the LIRR extension when people can just transfer to the other subway lines to get to LM, but I would have to imagine they would need to build a new station below the existing terminal if the LIRR were to be extended past Flatbush-Atlantic.

As for the proposals for what tunnel the LIRR would seize: I think it was the Montague (R) tunnel or Cranberry (and shift (A)(C) service over to the rutgers st tunnel with the (F)).

If they built a lower level, the LIRR would run into the mezzanine at the terminal. How about an express bus from MIdtown to Queens... oh wait, I forgot, we have that already! Combining Aqueduct Racetrack sta with N. Conduit & having some trains terminate at Howard Beach may be practical, with EXTRA (A) service.

Guest Lance
  • East New York, Can you post up the information that was aired on CHannel 4 news from April 16 at 4:30.

If it means so much to you, why don't you post it?

DK what VTrain is talking about but I couldn't find the article, there is nothing on NBC4NewYork stating this (A) super-express thing, and it would be impractical to run anything on the (A)/© Lines in Brooklyn/Queens. Don't think the (MTA) will be this not wise enough to reinstate nearly the same JFK Express but serving a different purpose.

• East New York, Can you post up the information that was aired on CHannel 4 news from April 16 at 4:30.

I've been extremely busy with work, so I didn't get a chance to post any updates, or look at the recording. When I review it, I will compare with the info I have and post later tonight or tomorrow.

I love how when this project proposals are announced by politicians and include transit plans like they know how the service actually is or it will be easy for the MTA to implement. Deal with the initial project and let the MTA figure out the service. Am i wrong?

I love how when this project proposals are announced by politicians and include transit plans like they know how the service actually is or it will be easy for the MTA to implement. Deal with the initial project and let the MTA figure out the service. Am i wrong?

Well, it depends. Maybe they did do research before announcing.

The recording for the news segment is 2 and a half hours long, and I have not had time to see what the details of the proposed train are. When I get to it, I will post, and I haven't really had time to sit down an watch the whole show. I apologize for those waiting, but there is a lot going on right now in the world of transit.

Archived