Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

They will shut the tube for 2 weekends (June 15th-16th) (June 23rd-24th) sending the (R) via the (Q) line both directions.  

I've been hearing rumors about a complete shutdown of the tunnel for a pretty long amount of time very soon. They rushed the repairs after Sandy and this is what doing that left us with.

Ah so THAT explains why my (D) make a cross-platform connection with an (R) tonight at 34 St.....

Shit, had a feeling that was gonna happen but didn't bother checking it out.

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbelievable rides on the (N) and (Q) today. Went down to Atlantic both ways, the first time I took the (N) down and it didn't take too long but we were slow moving the whole way, I got off at Court and took the (2) from there. On the way back up on the (Q), we were absolutely crushloaded (mostly with people coming from the beach) and spend a good half hour stopped at DeKalb, and 10-15 minutes at the other stations, along with the slow moving. Folks were saying the delays were going all the way back to Coney Island and it took them 3 HOURS to get up to Downtown Brooklyn from there.

Why the hell did this GO happen? Were repairs on the bridge that important that they had to send both the (N) and (Q) through a tunnel they know has major signal problems in both directions?

I hate to say it as an (R) rider (where service already sucks bad), but that tunnel shutdown needs to happen.

The above sounds like a lot of exacterating.3 hours from Coney Island to Downtown Brooklyn. and was the train really stuck at dekalb for 30 min? thats crazy! Should have went out and took another train nearby.or went back to atlantic.In any case any train besides the (N)(Q) and (R) into manhattan will do this weekend. Edited by Abba

The above sounds like a lot of exacterating.3 hours from Coney Island to Downtown Brooklyn. and was the train really stuck at dekalb for 30 min? thats crazy! Should have went out and took another train nearby.or went back to atlantic.In any case any train besides the (N)(Q) and (R) into manhattan will do this weekend.

Don't know how true CI-downtown taking 3 hours was, I can only say what I experienced myself is true.

Guest Lance

I'm just going to throw this out there. Since there are signal/mechanical problems at Whitehall and/or Court Sts on a daily basis for the most part, wouldn't it make more sense that, until these problems are completely rectified, the Q trains run via 6th Avenue to 57 St/6 Av the next time the south side of the bridge is completely shut down? Look, I know that 57/6 is not a terminal station and all that, but if they could turn trains there for FASTRACK or whenever they need the M to run to Manhattan for the weekend, they should be able to turn a few Q trains as well. This is the second weekend where the Broadway tracks of the Manhattan Bridge were closed off and traffic was so slow on the Broadway line because of said recurring problems that riders could've possibly walked the length of the line and gotten to their destinations faster.

On that note, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I can't stand it when conductors hide behind the automated announcements. I know that sometimes you guys dont get much info either, but if the train is at or near a transfer point, it might be a good idea to tell riders to hop over to other lines, especially if the train hasn't been moving all that much for an extended period of time. Playing the "delay-dispatcher" or "delay-train traffic" announcement several times in rapid succession is not helpful in the slightest.

Why the hell did this GO happen? Were repairs on the bridge that important that they had to send both the (N) and (Q) through a tunnel they know has major signal problems in both directions?

SKANSKA is doing work on the bridge that inhibits the flow of northbound train service. 

On that note, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I can't stand it when conductors hide behind the automated announcements. I know that sometimes you guys dont get much info either, but if the train is at or near a transfer point, it might be a good idea to tell riders to hop over to other lines, especially if the train hasn't been moving all that much for an extended period of time. Playing the "delay-dispatcher" or "delay-train traffic" announcement several times in rapid succession is not helpful in the slightest.

.... on the other hand, NOTHING makes the pax more angry with us than making an announcement that turns out to be false. When we don't know EXACTLY what is going on, it's often better to say nothing rather than make something up or make a guess. Whenever a (C) and (E) come into Canal St side by side, or a (B) and (D) at 59 St, the customers immediately run up to us and ask who is leaving first, before we even know ourselves. Lately I've just been saying "I don't know yet" rather than try to make an assumption.

Posted June 2nd 9:55 pm

Due to signal problems at Court St, some (R) trains are running via the (D) line from Dekalb to W4 st, then via the (F) line from W4 st to 36st (qns).

That is one hell of a reroute. The signals in montague really need to be totally ripped out, huh?

When they know they are having major capacity/signal problems in the Montague St tunnel, I'm not sure why they choose to send three trains thru the tunnel this weekend.  Smarter thing to do would have been to reroute the R via the D from DeKalb to Broadway-Lafayette, then via the M or F to Queens.

There have certainly been reliability problems with the Montague signals, but I'm not aware of any capacity issues. The control lines of the signals haven't been changed.

I agree 200%. There are a lot of knowledgeable riders who can reroute themselves past a nasty delay - but only if they know (A) that there is a delay, and (B) where exactly it is. I don't like getting stuck in a delay of any sort, but it's particularly annoying when I could have easily saved 20 minutes had I only known about it. Sometimes it's as simple as taking the local instead of the express.

Posted June 2nd 9:55 pm

Due to signal problems at Court St, some (R) trains are running via the (D) line from Dekalb to W4 st, then via the (F) line from W4 st to 36st (qns).

That is one hell of a reroute. The signals in montague really need to be totally ripped out, huh?

http://www.mta.info/nyct/procure/contracts/55466pb.pdf

Oddly, signals don't seem to be mentioned at all!

Just Posted (11:30 Am Monday)

Northbound (N) and (Q) via Montague because of a smoke condition at Dekalb. 

(and que the "signal problems at court st" in 3...2...)

Northbound B trains short-turning at Prospect Park.

Lol!

Just Posted (11:30 Am Monday)

Northbound (N) and (Q) via Montague because of a smoke condition at Dekalb. 

(and que the "signal problems at court st" in 3...2...)

Northbound B trains short-turning at Prospect Park. 

That actually happened during rush hour: first signal problems at court and then signal problems on Manhattan Bridge, both Brooklyn-Bound. What a mess.

Cue the montague signal problems in 3...2...1...

@NYCTSubwayScoop: #ServAdv: s/b, #R trains are delayed, due to signal problems at Whitehall St. Allow additional travel time.

Edited by Abba

That actually happened during rush hour: first signal problems at court and then signal problems on Manhattan Bridge, both Brooklyn-Bound. What a mess.

Yeah I saw that. I was going to remark that they were a few hours late to the party but did not miss the opportunity to say hello. 

Cue the montague signal problems in 3...2...1...

@NYCTSubwayScoop: #ServAdv: s/b, #R trains are delayed, due to signal problems at Whitehall St. Allow additional travel time.

Serious question though: I know the basics of signaling, track circuits, relay boxes, stop arms, etc, but does anyone know specifically what's failing in Montague? Is it just different components all the time, water damaged by ocean flooding, that are now failing at a higher rate than normal (e.g: every day)?

Or is there a specific system or circuit that is just having reliability issues?

I'm curious because the MTA's preliminary solicitation for Montague contract work linked by AndrewJC above, as he notes, doesn't mention anything about signal repair. 

Seem to be problems springing up all across the system!

Service Change

Posted: 06/05/2013 10:57AM

Due to signal problems at 57 St-7 Av, the following detours are in effect:

Some northbound r.png trains are running on the d.png line from Atlantic Av-Barclays Center to W 4 St then running on the f.png line to Roosevelt Av-Jackson Heights.

Some northbound n.png and q.png and trains are terminating at 42 St-Times Square.

Allow additional travel time.

Delays

Posted: 06/05/2013 10:51AM

Following an earlier incident at Simpson St, southbound 5.png train service has resumed with delays.

Service Change

Posted: 06/05/2013 10:04AM

Due to signal problems at Flatbush Av-Brooklyn College, the following service changes are in effect:

Some southbound 2.png trains terminate at 42 St-Times Sq.

Some southbound 5.png trains terminate at Bowling Green.

Delays

Posted: 06/05/2013 10:02AM

Due to signal problems at Junction Blvd, expect delays in Main St-bound 7.png train service. 

Delays

Posted: 06/05/2013 10:04AM

Due to signal problems at Broadway Junction, northbound c.png trains are running with delays.

Delays

Posted: 06/05/2013 10:01AM

Due to signal problems at Ft. Hamilton Pkwy, expect delays in northbound f.png and g.png train service.

Seem to be problems springing up all across the system!

Service Change

Posted: 06/05/2013 10:57AM

Due to signal problems at 57 St-7 Av, the following detours are in effect:

Some northbound r.png trains are running on the d.png line from Atlantic Av-Barclays Center to W 4 St then running on the f.png line to Roosevelt Av-Jackson Heights.

Well, that means this is the (R) route:

Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center

Grand Street

Broadway-Lafayette

West 4th Street-Washington Square

14th Street

23rd Street

34th Street-Herald Square

42nd Street-Bryant Park

47th-50th Streets-Rockerfeller Center

57th Street

63rd Street-Lexington Avenue

Roosevelt Island

21st Street-Queensbridge

Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue

Very interesting.

Edited by lupojohn

SKANSKA is doing work on the bridge that inhibits the flow of northbound train service. 

And with the recent announcement that the Montague tube is going to be closed for over a year, any GO's on the Broadway side of the bridge that don't get done soon will have to wait until late 2014.

Guest Lance

Though if the DOT calls for an(other) inspection of the south tracks, Transit will have no choice but to split the N and run the Q up 6th Avenue. They have to make sure everything's on the up and up on that span or we'll all be up a creek without a paddle.

Service Change

Posted: 06/06/2013  1:09PM

Due to FDNY activity at Lexington Av-59 St, northbound r.png trains are via the f.png line from 57 St-7 Av to 36 St (Queens). Northbound n.png and q.png trains will terminate at 57 St-7 Av.

Posted: 06/09/2013 11:00PM

Due to a police investigation at Church Av:

Northbound (F) train service running express from Church Av to Jay St- MetroTech.

No (G) train service between Church Av and Court Sq in both directions.

Really (MTA)? A Police Investigation at one of the terminals so you suspend an Entire Line? You could short-turn the (G) at Bedford Nostrand, or at Smith 9th. Suspending the entire line just short-changes a whole lot of people for not a lot of reasons. 

Service Change Posted: 06/09/2013 11:21PM

Due to a police investigation at Church Av:

Northbound [F] train service running express from Church Av to Jay St- MetroTech.

[G] train service running in both directions between Bergen St and Court Sq.

No [G] train service between Church Av and Court Sq in both directions.

Uhh...what's really happening here? Someone isn't proofreading.