Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

They were being nice. They could have shut down (M) service past Myrtle and reroute to Broadway Junction and make everyone double back on the (L)...

That's a good way of putting it. I was going to say I was surprised they set all that up, especially at that time of day, when the line is getting ready to shut down, not just for the night, but completely for the weekend G.O. (they usually only do that in weekend G.Os, but more recently, the tendency is just to replace it with buses).

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too soon

6:17 PM 

n/b (1), (2) & (3) train service is delayed due to police investigation at 34 St. Allow additional travel time.

5:12 PM

n/b (N) trains are running on the (D) line from Stillwell Av to 36 St (Bklyn), due to switch problems at Stillwell Av. Allow additional travel time.

These have since been resolved.

6:07 PM

(N) train service has resumed with residual delays.

6:24 PM

(1), (2) & (3) train service has resumed with residual delays.

These were by e-mail.

Edited by Union Tpke

Too soon

6:17 PM

n/b (1), (2) & (3) train service is delayed due to police investigation at 34 St. Allow additional travel time.

5:12 PM

n/b (N) trains are running on the (D) line from Stillwell Av to 36 St (Bklyn), due to switch problems at Stillwell Av. Allow additional travel time.

These have since been resolved.

6:07 PM

(N) train service has resumed with residual delays.

6:24 PM

(1), (2) & (3) train service has resumed with residual delays.

These were by e-mail.

The (1)(2)(3) delays were due to a woman walking N/B along Track 3 north of Times Square. Yikes.

Some from earlier: 

Following an earlier incident at Queens Plaza, northbound (E) and (M) trains have resumed with residual delays.

(6) trains are delayed due to a train with mechanical problems at Astor Place.

Following that incident, (6) trains have resumed service with residual delays.

(F) train service has resumed with residual delays.

Northbound (6) trains are terminating at 3rd Avenue-138th Street & Hunts Point due to switch problems at Parkchester. Allow additional travel time.

(6) train service has resumed service with residual delays.

Following an earlier incident, (4) and (5) train service has resumed with residual delays.

8th Avenue-bound (L) trains running with delays due to a train with a mechanical problem at Montrose Avenue. Allow additional travel time.

Service Change

Posted: 05/21/2013  5:30PM

Due to a sick customer at Queensboro Plaza, there is no 7.png train service in both directions between Queensboro Plaza and Times Sq-42 St.

Allow additional travel time.

Delays

Posted: 05/21/2013  6:02PM

Following an earlier incident, 7.png train service has resumed with delays.

"Due to police investigation at Avenue J, the following service changes are in effect: 

Both directions there is no b.png train service between Prospect Pk and Kings Hwy.

Northbound q.png trains are running on the n.png line from Stillwell Av to DeKalb Av.

Allow additional travel time."

By all accounts  (Q) trains are going via the  (N) both ways now...

Edited by superdrive1

Due to signal problems at 241 St, there is no 2.png and 5.png train service between Nereid Av and 241 St in both directions. 

Due to switch problems at Canal St, northbound c.png trains are running express from Canal St to 59 St-Columbus Circle.

Due to a water condition at Cortlandt Str.png trains are running via the n.png line between Canal St and DeKalb Av in both directions. 

Due to signal problems at Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall6.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

Delays

Posted: 05/23/2013  6:06PM

Due to signal problems at 42 St-Times Square1.png2.png and 3.png trains are running with delays in both directions. 

Delays

Posted: 05/23/2013  4:19PM

Due to signal problems at Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall6.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

Service Change

Posted: 05/23/2013  5:28PM

Due to signal problems at 53 St-Lexington Av, the following service changes are in effect:

Some northbound e.png trains are running on the f.png line from W 4 St-Washington Sq to Roosevelt Av-Jackson Heights.

Some Forest Hills-bound m.png trains are terminating at Chambers St.

Forest Hills--bound m.png trains are running on the f.png line from 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Center to 36 St (Queens).

Service Change

Posted: 05/23/2013  5:11PM

Due to switch problems at Canal St, the following service changes are in effect:

Northbound c.png trains are running express from Canal St to 59 St-Columbus Circle.

Some northbound c.png trains are running via the f.png line from Jay St-MetroTech to W 4 St-Washington Sq.

Service Change

Posted: 05/23/2013  5:59PM

Due to a water condition at Kingsbridge Rd, northbound b.png trains are running express from Tremont Av to Bedford Park Blvd.

Due to signal problems at 241 St, there is no 2.png and 5.png train service between Nereid Av and 241 St in both directions. 

So I guess until this was fixed, 233rd Street was the terminal for the (2) and (5)? ( (5) being sent up there in rush hours if this happened in rush hours).

Due to a sick customer at Canal St,  there is no j.png train service between Broad St and Essex St in both directions.

What is going on today? It's very odd!

EDIT: Possible on the  (2)   (5)  terminating at 233rd, unless they ran them to Nereid Av, sent them into 239th Yard and back out again, I would imagine that they terminated in all sorts of locations though and not just at 238th!

Edited by superdrive1

EDIT: Possible on the  (2)   (5)  terminating at 233rd, unless they ran them to Nereid Av, sent them into 239th Yard and back out again, I would imagine that they terminated in all sorts of locations though and not just at 238th!

There's no service at Nereid Avenue.

Due to a sick customer at Canal St,  there is no j.png train service between Broad St and Essex St in both directions.

So the southern terminal is Marcy Street? I'd imagine it is, since they probably won't vary it like the (2) and (5) scenario you mentioned. I'd also imagine shuttle buses are running between Broad and Essex.

Edited by lupojohn

Depends on where the problem was located. The post said there was no service between Nereid and 241 St. If that was the case Nereid Ave would be the terminal and trains would relay on the yard leads. If there was no service at Nereid Avenue itself the northern terminal would have been posted as Gun Hill Road by the (MTA) with no service north of that point. Carry on.

A lot of the problems were probably caused by the weather.

So the southern terminal is Marcy Street? I'd imagine it is, since they probably won't vary it like the (2) and (5) scenario you mentioned. I'd also imagine shuttle buses are running between Broad and Essex.

The southern terminal was Essex.

It wasn't on the alerts, but there was a block circuit problem at Wall St, all the 2 and 3 trains had to AK by, which caused a logjam. they were holding trains all the way back to 110/CPN. 

'twas a mess out there. 

I got caught in that on my way to Brooklyn.

No......the terminal would have been Essex. And where would these shuttle buses come from??? We don't have a million shuttle buses sitting around ready to go into service instantly for a sick customer delay.

Switch problems at Hoyt Street are causing delays on southbound (A) and (C) trains. Allow for additional travel time.

That happen to me months back and my (C) was sent express to Euclid. It got held again near Rockaway Avenue due to (A) trains originating at Broadway Junction S/B. As we were coming in to Euclid, there's was an (A) to Howard Beach awaiting on the local track.