Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

Capacity is the issue, not even speed of service.

And still, you can't compare

125 St

116 St

106 St

96 St

86 St

72 St

55 St

42 St

to

125 St

86 St

59 St

42 St.

The (4)(5) make fewer stops. Compromises don't work to well in this case.

Easily cut

(T) FULLY LOCAL

125 St

116 St

106 St

96 St

86 St

72 St

(Q) JOINS AS EXPRESS

72 St

96 St

116 St (Optional)

125 St

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easily cut

(T) FULLY LOCAL

125 St

116 St

106 St

96 St

86 St

72 St

(Q) JOINS AS EXPRESS

72 St

96 St

116 St (Optional)

125 St

You can't have the Q skip 86th street, that is where a majority of riders for that line would come from. Additionally if the Q skips 106th and possibly 116th it would mess up the spacing between the trains.

You can't have the Q skip 86th street, that is where a majority of riders for that line would come from. Additionally if the Q skips 106th and possibly 116th it would mess up the spacing between the trains.

But the point is that the SAS needs it. I know the MTA doesn't have the money, but they need to consider it for the chance they get the money.

OK. The point of this post is not to discuss the monetary feasibility of the ideas to follow. It is to discuss how effective they would be in reducing Lex Avenue crowding.

The combo formatting may be a bit much, but this isn't a foamer post either.

If the SAS were to become a trunk, I would have the following lines run:

(H): Full line express, from Sheepshead Bay to Bronx via Utica Avenue Line & Bronx Trunk Line...

(I): Full line local, operates with (H) in an (A)/© arrangement.

(T): Full line local, from Avenue X in Brooklyn to 205th Street in the Bronx.

(Q): Half line express.

(V): Half line local, via QB to Rockaway RoW.

The services don't matter that much, but the stops do:

Local stops are regular text, express stops are italicized.

Second Avenue-125th Street

116 Street

106 Street

96 Street

86 Street

79th Street

72nd Street

(Q) Splits Away

65 Street

(V) Joins Line

55 Street

42 Street-GC

34 Street

28 Street

23 Street

14th Street

8th Street

Houston Street

Line Splits

Any comments?

Edited by ThrexxBus

Any comments?

Foam is your post. 110%.

We have to accept the (Q)(T) arrangement as is. The reason The (Q) is sent there is not to be an express but the relieve crosstown crowding so not everyone from the UES transfers to the (S) or (7) at GC from the (T). The (Q) is for midtown and the (T) is the east side, and I can't really say anything else.

Edited by VWM

The map for SAS gives the noncommittal answer of "transfer under consideration" for most possible transfers to other lines. It seems the only transfer that's definitely going to be made is at Grand St. At Houston St, at least part of the (T) station will likely be right underneath the (F) station, so it's puzzling the (MTA) only considering the possibility of it. At 3rd Ave for the (L) train, the eastern end of the station is right around 2nd Ave, so again it should be a no-brainer to connect it to the (T). At 42nd St, I can understand the (MTA) not wanting to build a tunnel, it'd be long, Times Sq to Port Authority long, if not longer. Depending on where the 55th St station is supposed to be, a transfer could to the (E)(M) could be long as well.

Guest Lance

Most of the transfers are "under consideration" because of funding or the lack thereof. The designs of the stations are also a determining factor as to what the Second Avenue line will be transferable to. Let's take 3 Av on the (L) line with its potential connection to the 14 St station for example. If 14 St is built like a normal two side platform station with direct access to the street (either because of funding or short-sightedness), there won't be any way to connect it to 3 Av unless they Bleecker St a one-directional transfer later on. Now if they build a mezzanine for 14 St, it'd be much easier to connect 3 Av to 14 St. Naturally though, the passageway(s) would either have to flank the Canarsie tracks if it's at the same level or be below the tracks while still above the Second Avenue tracks to connect to that mezzanine I mentioned because we don't want this thing becoming the next Fulton St pre-renovations where riders have to break out the hiking boots just to get from one line to another.

Of course, all that stuff above is based on the idea that the line gets built down to lower Manhattan in the first place. :D

It is. Thats the whole point of SAS. To relieve the Lex in Manhattan. You dont need express service, you dont need an extension to Bk.(yet), nor all of these reroutes, extra lines, etc. for success in anything to work out, theres a simple acronym for it

K.I.S.S.

(Keep It Simple, Stupid)

SAS in its initial construction in the 70's was to be a 70+ MPH line. STations are still spaced apart to allow high speed service for a longer stretch (unlike traditional local service) but access most UES neighborhoods without the need for the Lex.

What I could see happening for SAS GOs is either:

No (T) south of 14 or 42 sts

No (T) north of 55 Street, (Q) to 57th.

Or no (T) at all, just the (Q)

Actually, I think the transfers are being considered for if there is a GO and the (T) is shut down. Like say no (T) south of 42nd

Take the (4)(5)

What I could see happening for SAS GOs is either:

No (T) south of 14 or 42 sts

No (T) north of 55 Street, (Q) to 57th.

Or no (T) at all, just the (Q)

Actually, I think the transfers are being considered for if there is a GO and the (T) is shut down. Like say no (T) south of 42nd

Take the (4)(5)

Lets just do the construction phrase before we get into that matter

The line needs a center track. Atleast past 42 St for GOs and Work. I mean it would not affect service that bad if something were to happen, but it could serve the same purpose as the <4> track up to Woodlawn and the <5> to 180 St. The MTA should put a track in there atleast so we don't turn this line into the problems we get with the (L). Don't even put it to stop at stations. Just run it all the way up, maybe with a couple switches here and there. I will try to whip up something in Trainz when I get back to the US.

The line needs a center track. Atleast past 42 St for GOs and Work. I mean it would not affect service that bad if something were to happen, but it could serve the same purpose as the <4> track up to Woodlawn and the <5> to 180 St. The MTA should put a track in there atleast so we don't turn this line into the problems we get with the (L). Don't even put it to stop at stations. Just run it all the way up, maybe with a couple switches here and there. I will try to whip up something in Trainz when I get back to the US.

How about a third local track that would just provide double the service in peak directions (it would make the same stops)?

Two tracks only is understandable now where money is tight and the line is decades in waiting, but this lack of capacity could really backfire down the line. More Below 63rd than above it, since the (T) will be limited by the (Q). Might not happen, but then again, I doubt anyone thought the (L) would be so used either. At the very least, they should leave provisions for express tracks to be built underneath if needed, like on 6th Ave.

Edited by Mysterious2train

Slightly silly question, but if they need to, why can't they just build a second level below the currently constructed one to expand capacity in the future? A set of express tracks down there would work quite well I would think, not too dissimilar to the Lex Ave line.

Guest Lance

Slightly silly question, but if they need to, why can't they just build a second level below the currently constructed one to expand capacity in the future? A set of express tracks down there would work quite well I would think, not too dissimilar to the Lex Ave line.

It's not impossible. It's just a whole lot easier to do before the line opens than it would be after the fact. Besides, that's exactly how the Sixth Avenue express tracks came to be. The local tracks were installed adjacent to the PATH tracks between 34th Street and W 4th Street in the 1930s. The express tracks were built in the '60s underneath the PATH tracks as well as the local 6th Avenue ones.