NYC Commuter Tax Gets a Chilly Reception.

Manhattan borough president Scott Stringer says it could generate $725 million each year for regional mass transit but NJ Gov. Chris Christie says it would hurt the region's economy

By Geoff Mulvhill and Michael Gormley | Tuesday, Apr 17, 2012 | Updated 4:26 PM EDT

NBC New York / AP [New York, NY] - "The Manhattan borough president's proposal to bring back a tax for suburbanites who commute to work in New York City got a cold greeting Tuesday from officials who represent the suburbanites.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie bashed the plan, saying it's "penny-wise and pound-foolish" and would hurt the region's economy.

Mark Hansen, spokesman for the New York State Senate's Republican majority, which would have a say in the plan, said it isn't under consideration. "We need to cut taxes, not increase them," he said.

The idea of restoring the tax was raised by Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer, who told The New York Times that it could generate $725 million each year for regional mass transit.

His office made that estimate using a tax rate of .45 percent for most commuters. That's the same rate the tax was before New York lawmakers eliminated it in 1999. The tax had been in place for 33 years.

The idea is noteworthy in part because Stringer, a Democrat, is considered one of the leading candidates for mayor in the nation's largest city in the 2013 election.

Christie, a Republican who is on the national stage himself, noted that the current mayor is Michael Bloomberg, not Stringer.

"I'm sure we'll have conversations with Mayor Bloomberg and he'll understand that those types of border wars are things that we should attempt to avoid because it doesn't make any sense for New York's economy," Christie said at a news conference in Bedminster. "It doesn't make any sense for New Jersey's economy."

And it certainly would not please hundreds of thousands of New Jersey residents who work in New York City, including Christie's wife, Mary Pat.

Christie may have a bully pulpit on the issue, but officials in New York's state government would have a say.

There was no immediate comment from Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who has opposed raising taxes.

The Democratic governor and the Senate's GOP majority, however, also opposed a millionaire's tax during the 2010 elections and in most of 2011 before agreeing to the proposal by the Assembly's Democratic majority.

That move to raise nearly $2 billion in taxes included a cut in the commuter tax to fund the New York City transit system."

Source Link: http://www.nbcnewyor...-147810865.html

Its that catch 22. Tell the TA they will have to be self sufficient (no state or city subsidies period) in X amount of years and let the chips fall where they lay.

I disagree with that... We need to fund the (MTA), but the real issue is making sure that they get the money AND then we have to see how they use it.

I disagree with that... We need to fund the (MTA), but the real issue is making sure that they get the money AND then we have to see how they use it.

The commuter tax as a reminder is those billed living *outside* NYC. So VG8 you would not be affected. Playing devil's adovcate if residents of NJ/PA/CT work in Manhattan and use (MTA) services should only NYC residents pay the bill?

FYI. Philadelphia has a commuter tax for out of state commuters who work in that city.

The commuter tax as a reminder is those billed living *outside* NYC. So VG8 you would not be affected. Playing devil's adovcate if residents of NJ/PA/CT work in Manhattan and use (MTA) services should only NYC residents pay the bill?

FYI. Philadelphia has a commuter tax for out of state commuters who work in that city.

Surprised this important proposal by Mr. Stringer has not gotten more replies here. Still Gov. Cuomo has remained silent on this.

Yeah, I know that and I still disagree with for the reasons I mentioned. Enough taxes already. We need to encourage folks to use public transit. The only reason I support congestion pricing is because we need more cars off of the road.

This is the only way we can get enough money to finish up the subway, to maintain it, and to upgraded it. It is also a good way to kill the debt the (MTA) has. Not just that but we should have congestion pricing and tolling for all bridges and tunnels and that money should also go the (MTA) and the Port Authority. That would also make New Jersey accepting to such a tax. Maybe we should also look into allowing the (MTA) to build structures like the Port Authority does and allow them to lease it out to potential tenants allowing the (MTA) to have a constant flow of money. After all this I don't think the (MTA) would ever be in debt unless if it does something stupid.

This is the only way we can get enough money to finish up the subway, to maintain it, and to upgraded it. It is also a good way to kill the debt the (MTA) has. Not just that but we should have congestion pricing and tolling for all bridges and tunnels and that money should also go the (MTA) and the Port Authority. That would also make New Jersey accepting to such a tax. Maybe we should also look into allowing the (MTA) to build structures like the Port Authority does and allow them to lease it out to potential tenants allowing the (MTA) to have a constant flow of money. After all this I don't think the (MTA) would ever be in debt unless if it does something stupid.

Let's not go overboard now... The (MTA) and ESPECIALLY the Port Authority should have to be far more accountable before they get any more funds from the taxpayers.

My take is in order to pay for expanded projects i.e extra train tunnel between NYC and NJ, to the proposed "X" train, either a toll(aka Congestion pricing in Manhattan weekdays)or the commuter tax are the best options.

Personally a compromise could be congestion pricing in which it is effect weekdays only between 6am-8pm with these rules.

1)All of Manhattan below 57th Street and between York Ave and 12nd Avenue would be the congestion zone. Drivers using the FDR Drive and West Side Highway(12th Ave/Henry Hudson)is exempt.

Prices range from $10(single drivers)to $5(2 riders)or 'free' for 3 or more riders.

2)Stay free for drivers from the Manhattan-Brooklyn and Queens Bridges(i.e Midtown Tunnel, Williamsburg, Brooklyn, Manhattan and Battery)going onto either the FDR or West Side Highway.

3)Single drivers pay the highest fees i.e $7-8 dollars in the Manhattan Congestion zone.

4)Three or more riders in a car or other vechiles pay nothing. Does not cover costs of parking lots in manhattan though.

5)No tolls between 8pm-559am weekday evenings/overnights and all times weekends and holidays.

6)75% of congestion pricing costs goes to regional mass transit i.e "MTA" "NJ Transit" and LIRR/Metro North." Other 25% goes for upgrades to the NYC bridges between Manhattan and the outer boros.

reactions?

My take is in order to pay for expanded projects i.e extra train tunnel between NYC and NJ, to the proposed "X" train, either a toll(aka Congestion pricing in Manhattan weekdays)or the commuter tax are the best options.

Personally a compromise could be congestion pricing in which it is effect weekdays only between 6am-8pm with these rules.

1)All of Manhattan below 57th Street and between York Ave and 12nd Avenue would be the congestion zone. Drivers using the FDR Drive and West Side Highway(12th Ave/Henry Hudson)is exempt.

Prices range from $10(single drivers)to $5(2 riders)or 'free' for 3 or more riders.

2)Stay free for drivers from the Manhattan-Brooklyn and Queens Bridges(i.e Midtown Tunnel, Williamsburg, Brooklyn, Manhattan and Battery)going onto either the FDR or West Side Highway.

3)Single drivers pay the highest fees i.e $7-8 dollars in the Manhattan Congestion zone.

4)Three or more riders in a car or other vechiles pay nothing. Does not cover costs of parking lots in manhattan though.

5)No tolls between 8pm-559am weekday evenings/overnights and all times weekends and holidays.

6)75% of congestion pricing costs goes to regional mass transit i.e "MTA" "NJ Transit" and LIRR/Metro North." Other 25% goes for upgrades to the NYC bridges between Manhattan and the outer boros.

reactions?

Well the NY-NJ project is currently dead at the moment so that is immaterial.

Also, what is up with giving some folks a break but not others??? Quite frankly Staten Island commuters should get some relief. They pay some of the highest tolls in the country and they are part of the five boroughs. Talk about getting shafted as usual.

Well the NY-NJ project is currently dead at the moment so that is immaterial.

Also, what is up with giving some folks a break but not others??? Quite frankly Staten Island commuters should get some relief. They pay some of the highest tolls in the country and they are part of the five boroughs. Talk about getting shafted as usual.

VG8. That a Triboro aka MTA Bridges and Tunnels issue. If you get those riders in SI a break so should those in the Rockaways. Personally i agree those in SI and the Rockaways deserve a discount(not free unless they drive in 3 or more ppl.) to travel to Manhattan. Those congestion funds is suppose to pay for instance 24/7 X1 and X10 bus service.Vg8 that what your takes intersting we have some strong disagreement on many issues from baseball to express buses just like a talk show on NY1 or CNN lol.

All the bridges and tunnels should be tolled in my opinion. They were originally all tolled when they were opened. I don't know why they stopped it but they all need to come back.

What about the bridge connecting Brooklyn and Queens i.e Metro Ave Bridge in Maspeth/Bushwick? The traffic in Manhattan on most weekends (not counting holidays and parades)is actually movable. That why IMO tolls are only needed weekdays just like in London.

VG8. That a Triboro aka MTA Bridges and Tunnels issue. If you get those riders in SI a break so should those in the Rockaways. Personally i agree those in SI and the Rockaways deserve a discount(not free unless they drive in 3 or more ppl.) to travel to Manhattan. Those congestion funds is suppose to pay for instance 24/7 X1 and X10 bus service.Vg8 that what your takes intersting we have some strong disagreement on many issues from baseball to express buses just like a talk show on NY1 or CNN lol.

Well yes I was equally annoyed about the Rockaways issue too, but at the same time Staten Islanders have been paying for years when they want to leave their borough or enter it.

I think the commuter tax is fair and balanced approach to everyone in the region, those collected in NJ and West of Hudson would be directed to NJT and Metro-North but 25% goes to NYC Bus and Subway; for East of Hudson, the funding goes to the Metro-North and Bee-Line, but 25% goes to NYC Bus and Subway; for the Long Island, the funding goes to LIRR, NICEBus and 25% goes to NYC Bus and Subway. For NYC, a reduced tax will be implemented but all funding goes to NYC Bus and Subway.

~or~

We can follow ShortLine Bus's idea and compromise since it would benefit and redirect people going Crosstown.

I am 100% opposed to this extra tax. Already commuters in the suburbs have to pay extra to get to the city. City people can for the most part run around on teh bus or the Subway everywhere for $2.25, if you live in the suburbs you gotta pay for the LIRR or Metro North in addition to the subway or bus to get to your final destination.

Its more incentive to find work on Long Island instead. Theres plenty of companies in Suffolk County, the Route 110 corridor, the Haupauge/Islandia corridor. Westchester has lots of businesses as well.

Keep in mind that cars exact a toll on the environment and—by extension—our health. Ideally, the government has a duty to promote the welfare of its people and if that means discouraging car use by making drivers pay the true cost driving then by all means, it should do so. There's a side benefit to drivers as well: less traffic (hence the term "congestion pricing").

Keep in mind that cars exact a toll on the environment and—by extension—our health. Ideally, the government has a duty to promote the welfare of its people and if that means discouraging car use by making drivers pay the true cost driving then by all means, it should do so. There's a side benefit to drivers as well: less traffic (hence the term "congestion pricing").

ideally the government would use the revenue it gets from us to spend wisely which they never do. if you are a resident of new york state your share of the debt is as follows, $50,033 for the federal debt, and $15,747 for the new york state debt. People are tired of being taxed and tolled to death by these so called "masterminds" who we keep re electing that dont care about us. they care about lining their pockets and consolidating their power.

i am a big supporter of mass transit, but i oppose any more freedoms being taking away from us. if people want to drive, or take a train, bus , bike whatever, everybody has the freedom to choose what they want. Thats what America is about.

Joe

This is obviously what is wrong here. Cars are the worse source of transportation. They pollute, and I often see cars with only one driver in it. In Manhattan yesterday there were so many cars with only just one driver. Can you imagine the damage that they are doing to the environment? I am not against the choice of freedoms here, but unless if cars can rival trains in green energy they are terrible source of transportation.

everybody has the freedom to choose what they want. Thats what America is about.

It's the very thought that individual liberties are far more important than the long term consequences to society that worries me. A lot of people tend to see themselves and forget about the big picture. This aggressive desire to hold on to personal transportation is holding all of us back.

I disagree 100% The only way someones really getting sick from car exhaust is if they put their mouth on the damn tailpipe and inhale it. The "enviornmental cost" is just the cost of being in modern society. IF you dont wanna be a part of modern society, go move to Pennsylvania and become an amish and drive a horse and buggy around and do everything by candlelight. I for one am not going to support sending this country back to the stone age with this environmental alarmism.

Unless you're a car owner, you'll never understand. I for one am not willing to give up the personal freedom of going where I want, when I want, and being in the comfort and quiet of my car, where I can turn the heat or the AC up how I like it, I can listen to whatever I want on the radio. When I gotta go somewhere long distance, I hop in the car and drive there. I like to be able to set my own schedule.

Archived