SCT Proposals 2012-2013 Thread

no residents cause the current bus system ignores most residents therefore the bus system is useless to then. What my plan does is make buses closely align better with the majority of residents which would attract more potential riders a bus system targeted at the fewwhile ignoring most ppl and connecting services is DOOMED TO FAIL. their useful lines that can take cars off the road efficiently are few. Also bad rush hour scheduling and lack of uniticket basically ignores the commuter market completely. You don't start @ 8am and expect to attract rush hr commuters its not gonna happen. ridership argument is utter crap cause if the schedule is useless then it will never attract the ridership to force an increase in service. you dont start late end early and expect residents to take the system seriously aiming low is why it sucks buses are not just for the poor once SCT realizes this ridership would increase dramatically.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no residents cause the current bus system ignores most residents therefore the bus system is useless to then. What my plan does is make buses closely align better with the majority of residents which would attract more potential riders a bus system targeted at the fewwhile ignoring most ppl and connecting services is DOOMED TO FAIL. their useful lines that can take cars off the road efficiently are few. Also bad rush hour scheduling and lack of uniticket basically ignores the commuter market completely. You don't start @ 8am and expect to attract rush hr commuters its not gonna happen. ridership argument is utter crap cause if the schedule is useless then it will never attract the ridership to force an increase in service. you dont start late end early and expect residents to take the system seriously aiming low is why it sucks buses are not just for the poor once SCT realizes this ridership would increase dramatically.

Most SCT routes BEFORE 8AM. The system on a majority of buses end at 8PM, which although early isn't what I'd call very early.

Suffolk County is nearly broke, hence the fare increase for SCT, you can't do anything without money and if you know SCT as I do you'd know that that is something that there hasn't been a lot of in its history.

Some Schedules aren't useless, the S40 runs every 30 minutes, the S1 runs nearly every 15 or so minutes, the S61 runs every half hour during the morning and afternoon rushes. Just because most of the routes run every hour doesn't mean that something is ineffective. I mean I've never heard of large complaints that the schedules are the problem for riders, most of the quips from riders is that there is no Sunday Service or that a certain place doesn't have a bus stop (Like Tanger in Riverhead).

I am sick and tired of hearing from people who don't live in Suffolk or who doesn't relay in it everyday telling me how it should be run. I can probably sit here right now and tell you with near 100% certainty what the traffic pattern for nearly half the major roads in the county are at a given time, but does that matter to any one no, All you idiots care about is spending money that nobody has to put buses out there just because the city or some other place runs buses every half hour. Now I know SCT isn't perfect, but nothing in this world is perfect. You all need to get off your high horses and except if you try and change something the more damage you do to the thing and the more you would be unable to change things back to the way they were.

What I stated was the reason why ridership isn't at its fullest is due to infrequent service that deters potential riders as a result those folk drive due to daily habit they wouldnt complain till they try to use sct. most of what you say is accurate but some of what you say is flawed. The bus system can do better to tie to LIRR. Plus in a nutshell all my sct ideas are cost neutral or can save money if perfected. Due to consolidation. S26 was one such example. pm for details. seriously there is no reason why I should be the only one on S58 at rush hour that is pathetic considering how major that corridor is

What I stated was the reason why ridership isn't at its fullest is due to infrequent service that deters potential riders as a result those folk drive due to daily habit they wouldnt complain till they try to use sct. most of what you say is accurate but some of what you say is flawed. The bus system can do better to tie to LIRR. Plus in a nutshell all my sct ideas are cost neutral or can save money if perfected. Due to consolidation. S26 was one such example. pm for details. seriously there is no reason why I should be the only one on S58 at rush hour that is pathetic considering how major that corridor is

Daaaaaamn. :o

In any case, I think one way that you might be able to boost SCT ridership (even though it would likely only be by a little bit) is if Google Transit included SCT as an option. I'm sure there are at least some people who would use the system if they knew it existed.

Daaaaaamn. :o

In any case, I think one way that you might be able to boost SCT ridership (even though it would likely only be by a little bit) is if Google Transit included SCT as an option. I'm sure there are at least some people who would use the system if they knew it existed.

The one thing I noticed is that ppl. tend to shortchange/under-exaggerate how much off-peak/mid-day usage SCT buses get.... but over-exaggerate how much peak hr. usage SCT buses get..... lol @ your reaction - he's not lying with that assessment either (which is why I laughed); you can be the only person on a route (for quite a long stretch at that), especially during the PM rush riding SCT...... The notion & actuality of "peak hour ridership" doesn't exist out there like we know it to be here in the city....

Where was I flawed, I did not make one incorrect statement in that post, I've ridden Suffolk Transit since I was born, to say that that some how that I am flawed in talking about something that has been apart of my life for over twenty years is a insult to me and shows your total lack of respect that you have for those who have depended on SCT for longer they you have probably known it existed.

The propasals that I have heard from you don't seem cost effective to me. You can't expand routes or add them and say that it will be cost effective, there is no way in heck that could happen. Any logical person will tell you that. I mean the whole reason the cost to run SCT went up in 2004 was because of all the expenses the bus companies needed; Gas Prices went up, Inserance Prices went up. Companies created 401k Plans, Drivers Wages went up. All that was documented by Suffolk Transit so I'm not lieing nor flawed.

You and everyone else are saying how easy it is to do this and that, and yet, its a shock that with how much the cost rised in 2004 that the county was even able to fund what service there is now. You can't go changing something just because you bloody well want to.

Now I'm done with this subject completely. You can say that I'm some how flawed, but I know that I'm not, and for you are anyone else to say otherwise just shows that you don't understand.

The Route lettering is fine just the way it is, I mean even the 2009 Study thought so, I mean heck they even made routes (some I say does make some sence) using the Number and Letter that the Feeder routes use.

Also the county is under no obligation to align bus schudules to Trains as the Trains aren't run by the county.

Update:

8A: Extended to East Hampton via S90 routing.

S68: Two trips to Riverhead, one via East Hampton, the other via FGA

Stop trying to extend the S68, extending the S68 does nothing except causing that to become like the S90, unreliable. Which was the whole reason the S66 was expanded to Riverhead in the first damn place. Sencondly if there are very little people traveling between those areas on the S90 currently, then why do you think it would be a good idea to extend the S68 that way?

marketing means nothing if the service is complete shit I should post a vid with ppl's reactions to SCT PM rush schedule. Many were utterly hilarious several ppl thought the same thing the only thing a schedule like that is good for is BLOWING. It's straight up unusable you know its bad when random strangers overhear you asking about bus connection then start offering rides. Seriously you know its bad when strangers are even willing to DRIVE YOU TO BROOKLYN AT NO CHARGE!!!! I know cause I got a ride to my block. heck one day Someone saw me looking at a bus schedule then offered me a ride and dropped me off at my destination. Meaning if its that easy to hitch a ride that is a very bad sign that the bus system is a complete atrocity. some ppl thought it was this bad http://www.youtube.com/watch? av=D7hvTJAVpUQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player and another had a similar reaction to PM schedule like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hajrjRO606M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It's ironic how no one said shortening the S23 to it's route before it's Extention to WWM. The S23 even though it was extended, has little ridership on the bus. I was the only one on the bus when I had that April Fanning from Wydanch to Close to Five towns. Then again, the reason for the S23 to be extended was to give people a second way to WWM and foR riders in the area to have closer vice to some part of civilization. As the nearest busses were half a mile from where the S23 ran. The S1/S29 were not good alternatives at that time. I would support a S25 Extention toSUNY or WWM because of the fact that less transfers would be made to other connecting bus routes.

Q23 if you wanna know why ridership is low look at its schedule then look at babylon line and ronkonkoma peak service. Then look at the time it leaves WWM and S54 &N79's schedule when your done YOU WILL KNOW WHY ridership is low. If that doesn't answer your question then imagine yourself as a local LI commuter who works in nyc then ask yourself does S23's schedule work for me? If the answer is no there is ur answer

New proposal:

S56/63 combination as one route from Patchogue to Commack via Kings Park

S8: Calverton-Hampton Bay route absorbing the 8A and S90 for connectivity. This route would operate the 8A and S90 routes, however in Riverhead, buses would be streamlined with other bus routes.

S90: Hasta Luego

8A: New label: S8

Edited by Q23 Central Term

• 4 weeks later...

Extend S1 to Sunrise Mall, to serve mall and connect to N19

I would extend the S1 to Merrick rd via Broadway (rt 110).... Just before the corner there is room on both sides of the road for the bus to lay over on the side of the road. There is a lot there that the bus can turn around in or go turn around on the roads south of Merrick Rd. I've always though it was odd that the S1 didn't go all the way on 110 on the Amityville side, especially to connect with the N19. The new N19/S1 connection point would be Merrick Rd @ Broadway (rt 110)...

people don't use SCT because it's schedules for most lines are COMPLETELY USELESS!!!!!! Ask anybody and they well tell you the same thing transit buses have shitastic schedules with some exceptions such as S45 and S40 and S1 and S61 the rest are complete shit and maybe S54 S92 has improved over the years. 10 series have nothing to feed into cause LIRR service there is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!

S23 should be restructured completely along with S2A/B

2B/A consolidated into 1 route with S2 designation.

S2 will of course be a bit more frequent it will originate at SUNY farmingdale then via 2B's routing to wyandach LIRR schedules will coordinate with LIRR and have extra trips for rush hour peak trains. Then via Nicolls road then to bay shore road via deer park ave then onward to southshore mall via 2B routing. Most of 2A's routing will be dropped due to duplication of S27. S27 slightly enhanced to make up for gaps.

S23 will no longer serve babylon and be rerouted via W 16th street to hunter ave then manor LA to bayshore LIRR replacing parts of 2A. The other parts of 2A and 2B don't get replaced as they duplicate S27. Parts of 2B and A will in fact get transferred to the S23 due to this routing of S23

New proposal:

S56/63 combination as one route from Patchogue to Commack via Kings Park

- S63 gets more riders than most might think.... I'd leave that as its own separate route....

- S56's main usage comes from being a supplement to the S58 to/from smith haven...... I always thought the 56 should continue on past smith haven, straight along middle country to coram plaza.... service to SCC would still be provided by the 6a & the S58.... but I wouldn't merge the 56 with the 63....

- S63 gets more riders than most might think.... I'd leave that as its own separate route....

- S56's main usage comes from being a supplement to the S58 to/from smith haven...... I always thought the 56 should continue on past smith haven, straight along middle country to coram plaza.... service to SCC would still be provided by the 6a & the S58.... but I wouldn't merge the 56 with the 63....

Well This is one phase of making connections better for SCT bus routes creating a north-south route

The others will be (under my plan)

S25

S56/63

8A

S42/3D

• 2 weeks later...

Haha I've been on the S1 that has gotten so bogged down in taffic during rush hours and then having to pick up passengers along the way... The longer the bus got delayed there more people waiting to board (people coming 10 min early for the next bus.) It was not uncommon, especially on Fridays to hear the driver behind us on the radio telling the driver they can see him and to only worry about getting to Amityville RR they'll worry about picking everyone up.

I've always wondered about SCT and EBT... I used to take the 6am bus out of Amityville RR and it seemed like the lady on the 6am had a hard time getting there in time. However, the guy who did the 6:15 (or was it the 6:20?) was sitting there every morning before the 6:00am got there, drinking his coffee, watching. I remember a couple of times she was late, equipment problems once, and her just coming in late one day. She was like 10 min late once and like 12 min late the other time. I also remember another time I was trying to make the 6:15 and was cutting it close, I thought the bus left a few minutes early but I found out later I saw her flying out of the area bc she was ordered to FLY up 110 until she was back on sched then start picking up. Meaning everyone waiting until that point had to wait for the 6:15 bus...

Why in the hell would dispatch or the supervisor not just put the 6:15 bus on 6am if its already at Amityville RR and put the late bus on the 6:15 knowing the buses run every 15-20 min?

Haha I've been on the S1 that has gotten so bogged down in taffic during rush hours and then having to pick up passengers along the way... The longer the bus got delayed there more people waiting to board (people coming 10 min early for the next bus.) It was not uncommon, especially on Fridays to hear the driver behind us on the radio telling the driver they can see him and to only worry about getting to Amityville RR they'll worry about picking everyone up.

I've always wondered about SCT and EBT... I used to take the 6am bus out of Amityville RR and it seemed like the lady on the 6am had a hard time getting there in time. However, the guy who did the 6:15 (or was it the 6:20?) was sitting there every morning before the 6:00am got there, drinking his coffee, watching. I remember a couple of times she was late, equipment problems once, and her just coming in late one day. She was like 10 min late once and like 12 min late the other time. I also remember another time I was trying to make the 6:15 and was cutting it close, I thought the bus left a few minutes early but I found out later I saw her flying out of the area bc she was ordered to FLY up 110 until she was back on sched then start picking up. Meaning everyone waiting until that point had to wait for the 6:15 bus...

Why in the hell would dispatch or the supervisor not just put the 6:15 bus on 6am if its already at Amityville RR and put the late bus on the 6:15 knowing the buses run every 15-20 min?

Honestly the S1 can use limited-stop service