Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So just because you said its gonna work automatically makes it gonna work...wonderful logic there...

Simply put, there's no need for the B7 up there. You're making an already long and unreliable line even more longer and unreliable

Look through this thread...

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/37474-b7-makes-a-movement-this-january/?fromsearch=1

Edited by Fresh Pond

Every other 20 goes to Ridgewood during the day as it is already...that's literally the bare minimum you can get with the terrible frequencies the 20 has now. Extending the 7 is just a waste of money since the 26 can handle it up there by itself

Simple cut the 20 back and transfer that part to B7 done.

And look at how long and unreliable the M5 is...

B7 is way more reliable than M5 that says a lot.

If it was too expensive, they would've reduced it by now...

Now I will eat popcorn and step away from this conversation.

But the service planners have been wanting to eliminate B20 Fresh Pond service for years due to its relatively poor ridership.

I'd be interested in knowing the amount of through riding between the southern and northern sections of the B20. Is there really that much of a Post-Office-Penn Av-to-Ridgewood market, or do most riders from each end leave at East New York station? If nothing else, maybe the part north of ENY could either become its own route or be attached to a different route.

I'm also wondering the same thing about the Broadway section of the Q24 — should it stay linked to Atlantic Avenue, or should it be a separate route (which, for historical reasons, I would call B22)?

Couldn't have said it better myself. Not all gaps needs to be closed...

Don't know how many times I've made this point.....

Every other 20 goes to Ridgewood during the day as it is already...that's literally the bare minimum you can get with the terrible frequencies the 20 has now. Extending the 7 is just a waste of money since the 26 can handle it up there by itself

It absolutely is a waste..... I'll go one step further & say that no matter what route you extend over the B20 north of Broadway Junction (instead of the B20 itself), bus usage will always be weak... the fact of the matter is (as far as the bus is concerned), the current B60 serves/fills the patrons in that general area's transit needs......

It's really not the fault of the B20 as to why usage isn't exactly booming up along schaefer/decatur.....

would it be possible to extend a bus to metro mall?

Not sure why there would be a need to, but can you be more specific......

Wouldn't be worth it because there's nothing there except BJ's, K-Mart, Toys R Us and Conway

Agreed..... Hell, I'm not so sure if ppl. take (the current) buses that serve it, to/from that mall in droves (or in any real significance) anyway..... If they do, it would most certainly be news to me....

......Plus there's no way to turn around the buses without pissing off residents in residential Middle Village.

I don't see where you'd turn around buses, period....

For buses to end at Metro Mall, I suppose buses could end at that niche (where there's a current bus stop pole), but buses can't u-turn on Metropolitan anyway.... and the set-up isn't like (for example) over there by Red Hook IKEA, where the niche/bus stop there leads buses to continue up otsego (instead of illegally u-turning WB on Beard, after accessing the niche from the east).....

at Metro Mall, after coming out of that niche from the west, due east, you have to leave the niche, due east, along Metropolitan av.... no NB or SB turn/leading toward any street.....

Also, see reply to post above....

To add to it, I don't think it's been a handful of times I've even seen a bus actually stop at said niche.... Buses usually blow by that stop & head towards the subway stop (M), which is what a hell of a lot more ppl. are seeking service for anyway... As for the mall though - Of those I have seen, there are more folks getting off at the other stop towards the western end of the mall more.....

I'd be interested in knowing the amount of through riding between the southern and northern sections of the B20. Is there really that much of a Post-Office-Penn Av-to-Ridgewood market, or do most riders from each end leave at East New York station? If nothing else, maybe the part north of ENY could either become its own route or be attached to a different route.

I'm also wondering the same thing about the Broadway section of the Q24 — should it stay linked to Atlantic Avenue, or should it be a separate route (which, for historical reasons, I would call B22)?

Can't be (much of a market), since the usage of the route have been so that buses from the east/south (for the most part) empty out at Broadway Junction.... From the north (meaning, from Ridgewood), most of those folks don't even ride out to B'way Junction on the B20 (let alone ENY) - they get off at Broadway....

I know you're just asking, but nah, No way should the northern portion of the B20 be its own route.... It doesn't come close to having the ridership to sustain a standalone route of sorts..... As far as attachment to a different route, well that's where the B7 extension suggestion by some folks have long come into play.... I don't think that's necessarily the answer either.....

Personally, I'd say it's the current B20, or bust... may as well leave every other 20 (or w/e the freq's are currently) running past B'way Junction.....

As for the Q24, I think the MTA should have kept it truncated to B'way junction...... So to opinionate on that part of the question, neither (and running a route from B'way Junction - Lafayette/Patchen [Q24] would even be worse than partitioning the B20 north of B'way Junction - that would duplicate the subway for almost 100% of the route, for too short a distance)

--------

Food for thought....

Similar to what NICE did w/ the n22/24, what do any of you think about the Q24 (via Atlantic) & the Q56 (via Jamaica) having the exact same end terminals - B'way Junction to Jamaica/170th? 

I don't see where you'd turn around buses, period....

For buses to end at Metro Mall, I suppose buses could end at that niche (where there's a current bus stop pole), but buses can't u-turn on Metropolitan anyway.... and the set-up isn't like (for example) over there by Red Hook IKEA, where the niche/bus stop there leads buses to continue up otsego (instead of illegally u-turning WB on Beard, after accessing the niche from the east).....

at Metro Mall, after coming out of that niche from the west, due east, you have to leave the niche, due east, along Metropolitan av.... no NB or SB turn/leading toward any street.....

Also, see reply to post above....

To add to it, I don't think it's been a handful of times I've even seen a bus actually stop at said niche.... Buses usually blow by that stop & head towards the subway stop (M), which is what a hell of a lot more ppl. are seeking service for anyway... As for the mall though - Of those I have seen, there are more folks getting off at the other stop towards the western end of the mall more.....

I take it the ramp to the lower level is too steep for them (that would be useful. The actual "mall" is the lower level. K-Mart and Toys R Us are actually a separate tenant.

• 3 weeks later...

I had this in mind for a quite a while, involving the route pattern of the BM1 and the BM2 rerouting around Prospect Park, because it adds unnecessary mileage to the routes, and could end up saving money in the long term.

This is what I had in mind

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.0004eed5c54339ff99ae0&msa=0&ll=40.652448,-73.964424&spn=0.048187,0.104628

No stops would be missed.

I had this in mind for a quite a while, involving the route pattern of the BM1 and the BM2 rerouting around Prospect Park, because it adds unnecessary mileage to the routes, and could end up saving money in the long term.

This is what I had in mind

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.0004eed5c54339ff99ae0&msa=0&ll=40.652448,-73.964424&spn=0.048187,0.104628

No stops would be missed.

I would send it straight across Beverley. This is what I've been saying from the beginning. You lose a lot of time on Cortelyou (more traffic, narrower street with oblique turn onto Coney Island Ave. and riding those buses years ago, it all slows down the trip). Beverley has the (Q) stop as well, and all it lacks is the commercial development, but that is not what the bus is for, and the street is much clearer without it anyway.