Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

As a former South Brooklyn resident, I would rather see more B1 service by way of Limited stop service put on the line as opposed to yet another route to Manhattan Beach.  Totally unnecessary.

How would a limited B1 work exactly? (More specifically, on 86 Street). Also the route is completely all about the B1 (read my edited post).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, service to Coney Island Hospital is pretty much reasonable, I don't see the need of a 3rd bus route from the SW portion of Brooklyn to go to Coney Island Hospital directly . This route still stops at the Hospital, but not where the main entry is. The reason I have it go to Manhattan Beach is because it supplements the B1/B49. From personal accounts that I've heard from this site, it is ideal to provide more service, but not via the B1 anymore. The service in Manhattan beach is to also serve KCC students as well, due to B1's flagging them and already leaving full. The problem is, I doubt UP (where the B1's based out of) has enough buses for such an expansion. As an alternative route, the bus could use Coney Island Avenue instead to/from Avenue Z, and then stay on Avenue Z.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z7P2QilxQnLY.k_bUH2p_RKhA

There are several other routings there, one of them being a 16 Avenue option instead of New Utrecht from 49 to 60 Street. I don't know if there is any demand for 16 Avenue anymore, but I believe there might not be.

If Ulmer Park Depot might not have enough buses for that kind of expansion, why not base the route out of Jackie Gleason instead?

How would a limited B1 work exactly? (More specifically, on 86 Street). Also the route is completely all about the B1 (read my edited post).

The B1 CRAWLS along 86th street.  I've used it from Dyker Heights for short distances and there definitely needs to be one.  South Brooklyn has no quick east-west bus service, and often times the subway acts as that, but that's slow too because transfers are required.  Not sure what you mean by how it would work? Like any regular limited stop bus...

The B1 CRAWLS along 86th street. I've used it from Dyker Heights for short distances and there definitely needs to be one. South Brooklyn has no quick east-west bus service, and often times the subway acts as that, but that's slow too because transfers are required. Not sure what you mean by how it would work? Like any regular limited stop bus...

If that's the case, a B1 LTD would operate weekdays only, making the following stops:

On 86th Street:

Fourth Avenue (R)

Fifth Avenue

Fort Hamilton Parkway

13th Avenue

18th Avenue (D)

Bay Parkway (D)

25th Avenue (D)

Stillwell Avenue

West Seventh Street (N)

On Avenue X:

Shell Road (F)

On Ocean Parkway:

Avenue Z

Neptune Avenue

Brighton Beach Avenue (Q)

On Brighton Beach Avenue:

Coney Island Avenue (B)(Q)

On Oriental Boulevard:

West End Avenue

MacKenzie Street

Edited by lara8710

If that's the case, a B1 LTD would operate weekdays only, making the following stops:

On 86th Street:

Fourth Avenue (R)

Fifth Avenue

Fort Hamilton Parkway

13th Avenue

18th Avenue (D)

Bay Parkway (D)

25th Avenue (D)

West Seventh Street (N)

On Avenue X:

Shell Road (F)

On Ocean Parkway:

Avenue Z

Neptune Avenue

On Oriental Boulevard:

West End Avenue

MacKenzie Street

It would run 7 days a week and would probably consider giving it artics to avoid overcrowding from MacKenzie Street (KCC).

True, which would mean adding more buses for KCC students to avoid having the LTD buses overloaded.

Adding more buses along the route would only cause more bunching, thanks to the increased frequency of service that the route would be less likely to handle, especially along the segment east of Stillwell Avenue where some B1 buses from KCC short turn. Edited by lara8710

Adding more buses along the route would only cause more bunching, thanks to the increased frequency of service that the route would be less likely to handle, especially along the segment east of Stillwell Avenue where some B1 buses from KCC short turn.

Well then you would have more LTD service and less local service...

Well then you would have more LTD service and less local service...

In that case, local buses would only run between Fourth Avenue and Stillwell Avenue whenever LTDs are running, which would make all stops east of Stillwell Avenue. This kind of local/LTD route structure mimics that of routes like the B6, B35, B46, and B82.

For starters, there would be less stops b/w Ft. Hamilton Pkwy. & 18th av..... Also, less stops b/w 25th av (D) & CIH..... Nothing you can really do with savings of time under the el....

Regardless, those are two junctures where if a LTD existed, time could easily be saved for the masses that are trying to get to/from 86th/4th or 86th/5th......

The (D) train technically serves as the limited-stop version of the B1 between 18th Avenue and 25th Avenue.

...which basically means nothing.

Not with the B70 also serving 39 St between 1 Av and 3 Av, then 4 Av to 8 Av...

There's a reason I didn't mention the B70 in that last reply....

It doesn't even relieve the B35 - it simply happens to run along 39th with the B35......

It's like saying the B4 relieves the B1 along 86th st.....

On 86th Street:

Fourth Avenue (R)

Fifth Avenue

Fort Hamilton Parkway

13th Avenue

18th Avenue (D)

Bay Parkway (D)

25th Avenue (D)

Stillwell Avenue

West Seventh Street (N)

On Avenue X:

Shell Road (F)

On Ocean Parkway:

Avenue Z

Neptune Avenue

On Oriental Boulevard:

West End Avenue

MacKenzie Street

I agree that LTD stops can be made immediately after the first stop on the Bay ridge end....

However, why do you have buses skipping stops east of Brighton Beach subway?

IMO, the LTD segment of a B1 LTD should be b/w 86th/4th & Brighton Beach subway.... I see no need to have the full route LTD - that includes for KCC (which is a separate issue entirely btw)......

Are you from this planet? We've been talking about farebeating in so many threads now that it's not even funny.

I mean, specifically on the B41 if it becomes a SBS route.

No, SBS on the B41 wouldn't really solve anything, and might cause an increase in farebeating.

Now do you get me?

Edited by lara8710

Service to Kingsborough Community College:

Anyone who goes there or even lives there knows how much of a mess service can be when school is in session, especially around dismissal time for Goldstein (which is on the KBCC grounds), but it can be like that all day. The massive turning to get to Sheepshead Bay doesn't exactly help matters either. As such, I would propose extending, on a seasonal basis (that is, from September to June when classes are expected to be in session) an extension of the B44 Select Bus Service trips that terminate at Avenue U, to Kingsborough CC. However, I would propose that these serve Brighton Beach more directly to avoid all of the turns and traffic in the Sheepshead Bay area.

Benefits:

1. Faster movement of passengers on larger buses through greatly-reduced dwell time and keeping buses on wider streets. Even though it may sound a bit longer to head all the way west to Coney Island Avenue, that street is four lanes, unlike Sheepshead Bay Road.

2. The B1 and B49 would be greatly alleviated

3. There would be no need to maintain B1 short turns that only run within Brighton and Manhattan Beach for any reason whatsoever. There would also be no need for more than 1 or 2 B49 short-turns at all before and after school.

Now, the routing, which may seem a bit out of the way, but makes sense when thinking about it:

From Avenue U and Nostrand Avenue:

1. South on Nostrand Avenue to Avenue Z.

2. West on Avenue Z to Coney Island Avenue.

3. South on Coney Island Avenue to Brighton Beach Avenue.

4. East on Brighton Beach Avenue to Corbin Place.

5. South on Corbin Place to Oriental Boulevard

6. East on Oriental Boulevard to Mackenzie Street, and stand.

Return via the same route.

New stops at:

1. Nostrand Avenue and Avenue X

2. Avenue Z and Ocean Avenue

3. Avenue Z and East 15 Street

4. Avenue Z and Coney Island Avenue

5. Coney Island Avenue between Brighton 10 Street and Brighton Beach Avenue

6. Oriental Boulevard and West End Avenue

7. Oriental Boulevard and Mackenzie Street

Edited by aemoreira81

I mean, specifically on the B41 if it becomes a SBS route.

Now do you get me?

Yes I do but farebeating seems to be rampant on most SBS routes.  Why? Because there's a lack of enforcement overall, and the poorer the neighborhood, the more farebeating.  On routes like the M15 and M34, you'll see passengers make a concerted effort to get their tickets and pay, but in the poorer areas, they tend to make less of an effort to pay.  

Would a B41 SBS work?

I will say no. Reducing Flatbush Avenue to one driving lane for other vehicles between East 26 Street and Utica Avenue would create a nightmare situation for traffic (because the lane there would have to be an offset lane). While a curb lane could be used downtown to maintain 2 driving lanes each way, it would cause more problems than it would solve. Utica Avenue is different because it does not lead directly to a bridge.

http://www.sheepsheadbites.com/2012/05/my-proposed-bus-route-changes-for-sheepshead-bay-and-adjacent-neighborhoods-part-1-of-2/

In this article, I only agree with one proposal, which is a new bus route between the Rockaways an Sheepshead Bay. And instead of extending the B31 along Avenue P and 65th Street, I would propose a seperate bus route to run along those streets. It would run between Shore Road in Bay Ridge and the Kings Highway (B)(Q) station in Midwood on slightly shorter headways than the B31.

Edited by lara8710

http://www.sheepsheadbites.com/2012/05/my-proposed-bus-route-changes-for-sheepshead-bay-and-adjacent-neighborhoods-part-1-of-2/

In this article, I only agree with one proposal, which is a new bus route between the Rockaways an Sheepshead Bay. And instead of extending the B31 along Avenue P and 65th Street, I would propose a seperate bus route to run along those streets. It would run between Shore Road in Bay Ridge and the Kings Highway (B)(Q) station in Midwood on slightly shorter headways than the B31.

Check out these maps:

http://mapq.st/1PkFUbR (basically a B31 extension to the Brooklyn Army Terminal, just a different number)

http://mapq.st/1NRbEIp (a new bus route connecting the Rockaways with Sheepshead Bay, replacing the B4 east of the Sheepshead Bay (B)(Q) station)