Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The b62 is not a long route its about 50 min and i think brooklyn should have a bus that connects to manhattan thats a lil length and this way people from greenpoint can have a one seat route from greenpoint to manhattan

Once again, it's not having a lengthy route to Manhattan. The B62 does not have to be worsen any more because of Queensboro traffic. Besides, if the residents wanted it, they wouldve spolen about it. There is no great demand by bus from Manhattan to Brooklyn. The B44 used to go to Manhattan before, but was cut because it was not necessary, and severely unreliable. Thats how we also have today's B39, more or less.Any route going into Manhattan from the outerbough gwts boggled down by traffic.

The Q60 is a very longer route than the B62 and it gets into traffic on the bridge and it still goes to manhattan so why cant the B62 extend 10 extra mins into manhattan and its shorter than the long slow Q60?

The Queensboro bridge is already crowded enough. A fourth route would just make things worse.

Hell, I'd bet even with one route on the bridge, traffic would not be much different.

The Q60 is a very longer route than the B62 and it gets into traffic on the bridge and it still goes to manhattan so why cant the B62 extend 10 extra mins into manhattan and its shorter than the long slow Q60?

Its not necessary to do so. There isn't a huge demand for brooklyn. The Q60 does it because there are plenty of riders who use the line across the bridge, in additoon to the Q32. Long routes are not always good. Long routes does not equal success either.Take a look at the M5 for a good example. The point is not to have long routes, the point is to have effective routes (which the MTA doesn't really do in the first place, but whatever). Look at the B74 for a route that is short and with high ridership. The costs of the route are covered, and brings in more costs (in other words, if run privately, the route could make a profit). The route is also fairly reliable.

what could we get out of extending the b103 to spring creek towers?

Emptier buses & a longer DH to SC (time-wise)

Do people from spring creek even want to go anywhere else besides Gateway Mall, Canarsie and Bway Junction?

(Not pointing anything out, just asking in general)

My thing is, I don't see the point of giving Starrett folks access to the (2) when they have access to the (3).... Those that utilize the B103 in Canarsie do so in the heavy fashion that they do, to get to the junction for the (2) (or (5))..... So much so that they have as many short-turn trips on the 103 to the junction from Canarsie.... I don't know how things are now, but when I used to take the BM2 to work, I'd say for every bus (B103) in the morning running the full route, there were 3 short turns running to the junction only.... The worst was when I saw a whopping 5 buses straight running to the junction before I saw one running downtown.... That day I was pissed because my BM2 was late (I managed to see 8 WB B6's & 7 WB B103's that morning in about a 20 min. span... So yeah, doing the math, that's about a bus every 75 seconds....

But yeah, if you wait for the B103 by the terminal (Breukelen houses, around the corner from where the B60 terminates), you'll find that there are more folks in general waiting for B82's (barring late 103's, of course) - few of which use the 82 & the 60 interchangeably b/c they only want the (L).....

Any suggestion you send in through the normal email process now merely receives a response that they cannot respond to customer suggestions for route changes.

In other words, they've now made it official they don't want to hear from the riding public (via e-mails, at least)..... Before, they used to shoot out those automated canned responses (which were BS anyway)..... The both of us know it's not that they can't, it's that they don't f***ing want to!!! Now you see why I don't go to those public hearings they hold (which I've stated numerous times on these parts that their decisions are already pre-determined long before the hearings are ever freaking held)....

No.. Absolutely no need to extend the B103 to Spring Creek Towers.

The B82/83/84 do just fine servicing Spring Creek and the towers.

If anything B84 needs extension to Canarsie.

Agree with leaving the B103 right where it is.... Disagree with running B84's to Canarsie.....

How would you extend the B84 to Canarsie anyway?

The B42 has that special transfer because it replaced the trolley that was part of the Canarsie line. Why should a 2 year old route go inside the station when you have a metrocard that can do pretty much the same thing?

I don't even like the B42 going into the station. How about extending it (B42) to the B84 terminal and let the B84 be "the shuttle to the (3)"?

If anything, at Rockaway parkway, there can be a special 3 way transfer between the B42, Rockaway Pkwy (L), and any other bus in NYC.

As I understand it, the issue/problem is transporting potential shoppers from Rockaway Pkwy (L) to Gateway.... It's the same reason you had some (former) members on here suggesting extending the B82 there (by way of a split at Coney Island av/Quentin rd, where the B7 terminates).....

The one thing I do agree with you here is that special entrance for the B42....

Either demolish it & have that benefit of an extra xfer (extra xfer... lol) given to B6 & B82 riders also, or demolish it & eradicate that extra xfer period....

What do you think of extend the B62 to east midtown 2 ave and east 60st. It can share the same terminal as the Q60 or the Q101

I think it's downright foolish... I'll expound on this in replies below...

For what? <_<

lol....

The b62 is not a long route its about 50 min and i think brooklyn should have a bus that connects to manhattan thats a lil length and this way people from greenpoint can have a one seat route from greenpoint to manhattan

Do you realize just how late B62's are just getting to Queens?? Reliability has gotten worse with that route ever since they split the original B61 Red Hook-Queens Plaza route..... Yes, the old B61 to Queens was actually more reliable than today's B62 to Queens.... The problem was never the Queens end of the old B61, it (supposedly) was the Red Hook - Downtown Brooklyn portion... I say supposedly because I think the complains that resulted in the old B61 getting split, to be exaggerated..... Of course, this was before Williamsburg got hipsterized to the tune that is now.... If the old B61 now were to exist, it would be a nightmare....

If you want to be technical about it, there already is a 1 seat ride to Manhattan... It's called a walk to the (7) - Which PLENTY of Greenpoint patrons are doing these days... So much so that I seldom want to walk the Pulaski Bridge anymore; something I used to like to do, since there weren't many ppl. that did so.....

Once again, it's not having a lengthy route to Manhattan. The B62 does not have to be worsen any more because of Queensboro traffic. Besides, if the residents wanted it, they wouldve spolen about it. There is no great demand by bus from Manhattan to Brooklyn. The B44 used to go to Manhattan before, but was cut because it was not necessary, and severely unreliable. Thats how we also have today's B39, more or less.Any route going into Manhattan from the outerbough gwts boggled down by traffic.

He's ignorant to just how bad the traffic situation in Manhattan is.... It's not nearly as feasible to say, oh, there's no "distance" bus from Brooklyn to Manhattan, so let's whimscally pick any ole route that runs close enough to Manhattan, to Manhattan.....

Means absolutely nothing, since the Q60 has a direct routing over the bridge from running along QB.... For the B62 to get to Manhattan, that would make the route more indirect than it already is.... not to mention you would subject the route to Queens plaza north.... The last thing there needs to be is another bus route trying to get from the Northern Blvd/Jackson av/Queens Blvd intersection, to Queens plaza north....

Yea thats what i think one more bus not gonna make a difference and i think it would get a little more ridership

That's not what he's saying; he's not agreeing with you here.....

He's saying that if there were just one of the current 3 bus routes that were to run over the Queensboro bridge, the level of traffic would be similar to what it currently is... And he's right, as the amount of physical buses (combined amount of BPH; buses per hour) on the Q60, Q32, and Q101 obviously pales in comparison to the amount of other vehicles that clog up the bridge..... To the point of a standstill at times....

Then B62's would have to contend with Jackson av (which the DOT made worse by putting a concrete median along parts of the roadway), of course the headache that is Manhattan av with all the BS (which includes double parking on that narrow ass street).... This is all before you get to Williamsburg Bridge plaza, where the ride is a little smoother south of that point.....

Are you picking up any of what the 3 of us are putting down, or are you just sticking your fingers in your ears going *la la la la la, I'm going to continue to try to find some Brooklyn route that should get extended to Manhattan*?

Its not necessary to do so. There isn't a huge demand for brooklyn. The Q60 does it because there are plenty of riders who use the line across the bridge, in additoon to the Q32. Long routes are not always good. Long routes does not equal success either.Take a look at the M5 for a good example. The point is not to have long routes, the point is to have effective routes (which the MTA doesn't really do in the first place, but whatever). Look at the B74 for a route that is short and with high ridership. The costs of the route are covered, and brings in more costs (in other words, if run privately, the route could make a profit). The route is also fairly reliable.

Effective is too low a standard; hell, your Q67 is effective.... They should be aiming for a higher standard called Efficiency....

The MTA has very few efficient routes in the system... Not all their fault, but it still isn't a good look when the routes that are your most efficient, tend to be your shorter ones..... We need more B1 type routes (which most certainly spans a longer distance than the B74's of the world), where the efficiency is there from end to end....

I know thats the only problem is nobody is demanding it because most of the people in brooklyn are more for the trains but i honestly think it would gain more ridership then it has now but ur right until demands are made

Lol, can you blame them? The MTA is indirectly forcing riders to take rapid transit over surface transit.... This doesn't mean that it's plausible for some bus route that already has problems contending with its current routing in Brooklyn, to get some extension to Manhattan.... Especially taking about Midtown or East Midtown, man, terminal space is at a premium right now, just like regular everyday ole parking spots are.... Sure, the DOT can deebo parking spots for bus stops, but they can't realistically go too crazy with that.....

• 4 weeks later...

New idea:

Remember that proposed B71 to South Ferry? I think the route should be returned along with that extension to South Ferry in place. As well as restoring that route, I would also provide an extension along Eastern Parkway and have it end at Ralph Avenue. Select trips would continue to end at Van Brunt Street and would be shown as a part time terminal on the map. Instead of being at JG depot, since it would be near the ENY depot, I would based it out of that depot instead.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Also, I want to bring back the B77, but between South Ferry and 4 Av-9 St. When in Brooklyn, it would run the following way:

From Bat Pk Tunnel: Hamilton Av, Left on 4 Av, terminate.

From 4 Av: Left on 4 Av-9 St, left on 3 Av, right on Hamilton Av, to Bat Pk Tunnel.

This route would run 24/7 and every 30 min at all times to give riders a direct ride from the ferry to Brooklyn.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

New idea:

Remember that proposed B71 to South Ferry? I think the route should be returned along with that extension to South Ferry in place. As well as restoring that route, I would also provide an extension along Eastern Parkway and have it end at Ralph Avenue. Select trips would continue to end at Van Brunt Street and would be shown as a part time terminal on the map. Instead of being at JG depot, since it would be near the ENY depot, I would based it out of that depot instead.

If anything I would Red Hook express bus service and call it a day, though they probably wouldn't use it.  Too many damn hipsters over there and they all want the subway, which is why neither a local bus nor an express bus would likely work.

Well since this thread has been revived, I have some schedule changes for the Saturday schedule for the BM5. Nothing Major

There's a slight saving by this (slightly more than $450 per year), however this is based on personal observation of how late/ealy some of these buses run in conjunction to their respective schedules.

To Spring Creek:

The first two buses (10 AM and 11 AM) would have their runtimes decreased from 65 minutes to 60 minutes. Sometimes the buses get to Spring Creek in less than an hour, so there's no need for 65 minutes on the schedule. The BM5 weekday schedules gives 61 minutes, so it's only proper. 

The third bus (12 PM) would have its runtime decreased from 65 to 62 minutes.

The 3 PM trip would have its runtime increased from 65 minutes to 72 minutes

The 4 PM and 5 PM trip would have 75 minutes instead of 65 minutes

The 6 PM trip would have a runtime of 68 minutes instead of 65 minutes.

To Manhattan

The 7:15 AM and 8:15 AM trips would have their runtime decreased from 70 minutes to 61 minutes

The 9:15 AM trip would have its runtime decreased from 70 to 65 minutes.

The 10:15 AM trip would have its runtime decreased from 70 to 67 minutes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...