Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

I understand having some B46's (either Local or SBS) run up to Woodhull, so they can maintain their midtown connection to the (M). I know that turning at Myrtle has been done before numerous times with the (M) shuttle, however I think it'll be better to have whichever 46 go up to Woodhull, since it's a much easier turnaround, and still gives them access to the Hospital.

Now, if it was set up that way, it would mean the B47 would go to WBP. However, my thing is, would this mean that it would have to be split at Rutland Rd (3), since it would be too long (that route would be longer than the proposed B46 Local), in order to maintain reliability, and if that should happen, will that be worth it? How many (through) riders would be affected.

Basically what you are saying is to go back to the 20th century and bring back the B40 and B78. Unless the B47 gets a LTD (and I'm not sure this route even deserves one), this probably would mean the B47 gets split as if it never existed. Since I brung up the B40, if it gets revived, I would see it extend eastward on liberty av to replace B12 service lost on liberty av.

I actually like my Myrtle Avenue terminal idea better than the Woodhull terminal switch I came up with before since 1. As I mentioned, no subway connections would be lost to the SBS and 2. Downtown SBS routes would not operate under Broadway and give it a faster ride than Woodhull would. In this terminal, buses would layover at Broadway and Stuyvesant Av, right next to Beattie Sq (at least that's what Google maps call it), pick up at Vernon Av and Stuyvesant Av, turn left onto Pulaski St, then onto Malcolm X to run it's regular route.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically what you are saying is to go back to the 20th century and bring back the B40 and B78. Unless the B47 gets a LTD (and I'm not sure this route even deserves one), this probably would mean the B47 gets split as if it never existed. Since I brung up the B40, if it gets revived, I would see it extend eastward on liberty av to replace B12 service lost on liberty av.

I actually like my Myrtle Avenue terminal idea better than the Woodhull terminal switch I came up with before since 1. As I mentioned, no subway connections would be lost to the SBS and 2. Downtown SBS routes would not operate under Broadway and give it a faster ride than Woodhull would. In this terminal, buses would layover at Broadway and Stuyvesant Av, right next to Beattie Sq (at least that's what Google maps call it), pick up at Vernon Av and Stuyvesant Av, turn left onto Pulaski St, then onto Malcolm X to run it's regular route.

The B47 doesn't need a limited stop servicer, IMO.

I don't think any bus should be running on Liberty Avenue. The Q24 runs fairly close to, except the area near Queens, which the Q8 and B13 are there. Having the B12 run there would be a bad idea too, because that route suffers from reliability problems. The reason for the flip-flop in terminals was essentially to contain reliability issues on the B46 local. The 47 is slightly less frequent than the 46 on Broadway, so it might a problem with the B47 running to Kings Plaza, hence why I brought up a split at Rutland (like the old B40/B78), but then again, how would the impact be for through riders (current riders not getting off at the (3) . I mean, it might make the area south of Rutland more reliable, but is it worth it?

As for the B46 to Woodhull be less faster than to Stuyvesant Avenue, that's obvious, since there's less of a distance to Stuyvesant than to Woodhull. B46 buses would still have to along Broadway northbound, so it's not totally off Broadway. Like I mentioned, I would rather maintain the connection to Woodhull because it would be a hassle to get to if it just terminated at Myrtle without having to make a transfer. It's like eliminating the 78 Street stop on the Q53. Also, both routes currently serve Woodhull. I believe there's more ridership from Woodhull coming from the 46 than the 47 too. 

The B47 doesn't need a limited stop servicer, IMO.

I don't think any bus should be running on Liberty Avenue. The Q24 runs fairly close to, except the area near Queens, which the Q8 and B13 are there. Having the B12 run there would be a bad idea too, because that route suffers from reliability problems. The reason for the flip-flop in terminals was essentially to contain reliability issues on the B46 local. The 47 is slightly less frequent than the 46 on Broadway, so it might a problem with the B47 running to Kings Plaza, hence why I brought up a split at Rutland (like the old B40/B78), but then again, how would the impact be for through riders (current riders not getting off at the (3) . I mean, it might make the area south of Rutland more reliable, but is it worth it?

As for the B46 to Woodhull be less faster than to Stuyvesant Avenue, that's obvious, since there's less of a distance to Stuyvesant than to Woodhull. B46 buses would still have to along Broadway northbound, so it's not totally off Broadway. Like I mentioned, I would rather maintain the connection to Woodhull because it would be a hassle to get to if it just terminated at Myrtle without having to make a transfer. It's like eliminating the 78 Street stop on the Q53. Also, both routes currently serve Woodhull. I believe there's more ridership from Woodhull coming from the 46 than the 47 too.

I never said every B46 would end at the Myrtle area, just the SBS. The local would still go to WBP. It's the Hospital terminal idea that would switch up the B46 and B47, kind of.

Yeah, the northbound B46 SBS still would operates on Broadway, but since the route is so close to it's terminal on Broadway, it shouldn't hurt the SBS at all really.

The B47, there are already Flatbush loaners thar short turn at Sutter Av-Rutland Rd, so if somehow, the B47 could get a real split (like the B38) between Flatbush and Grand, with more of those "Flatbush loans" throughout the day, the B47 hopefully won't really be a problem.

I never said every B46 would end at the Myrtle area, just the SBS. The local would still go to WBP. It's the Hospital terminal idea that would switch up the B46 and B47, kind of.

Yeah, the northbound B46 SBS still would operates on Broadway, but since the route is so close to it's terminal on Broadway, it shouldn't hurt the SBS at all really.

The B47, there are already Flatbush loaners thar short turn at Sutter Av-Rutland Rd, so if somehow, the B47 could get a real split (like the B38) between Flatbush and Grand, with more of those "Flatbush loans" throughout the day, the B47 hopefully won't really be a problem.

Those "loans" are school trippers, at most 2 buses. Grand Av is more then capable of handling the B47 on its own, especially with the low headway the 47 has to begin with.

Those "loans" are school trippers, at most 2 buses. Grand Av is more then capable of handling the B47 on its own, especially with the low headway the 47 has to begin with.

Hmm... never used the B47 before, but still. If the B47 has more trips to Sutter than before when it goes to WBP, that should improve reliably. But even so, that would mean less service north of the (3).

I think it's better to leave the B47 the way it is and extend the B46 SBS to the Myrtle Avenue area.

Hmm... never used the B47 before, but still. If the B47 has more trips to Sutter than before when it goes to WBP, that should improve reliably. But even so, that would mean less service north of the (3).

I think it's better to leave the B47 the way it is and extend the B46 SBS to the Myrtle Avenue area.

Honestly, and truthfully. There is a way to get the B46 over to WBP without utilizing Broadway and Myrtle.

From Reid/MalcolmX/Utica. Left on DeKalb. Right on Bedford and there goes your way over to WBP.

From WBP: Down Nostrand. Left on Lafayette. Right on Malcolm X and regular to KP.

This way, you still keep the 46local on DeKalb on the wrap-around. No changes to the B47 and stopping at WBP

B47 is another story of it's self. Serious bus bunching and the route needs to be cut in 1/2 to keep up with demand of service.

Bring back the B78 Sutter Ave to KP. Cut the 47 to St.Johns & Ralph or Eastern Parkway.

Honestly, and truthfully. There is a way to get the B46 over to WBP without utilizing Broadway and Myrtle.

From Reid/MalcolmX/Utica. Left on DeKalb. Right on Bedford and there goes your way over to WBP.

From WBP: Down Nostrand. Left on Lafayette. Right on Malcolm X and regular to KP.

This way, you still keep the 46local on DeKalb on the wrap-around. No changes to the B47 and stopping at WBP

B47 is another story of it's self. Serious bus bunching and the route needs to be cut in 1/2 to keep up with demand of service.

Bring back the B78 Sutter Ave to KP. Cut the 47 to St.Johns & Ralph or Eastern Parkway.

I don't know about the B46 SBS reroute. It sounds like if it takes this route, it will become worse than the B44 SBS.

Also, you are saying that the B47 would run between WBP and Sutter Av? Because if so, remember what could happen if the B46 is removed from WBP and if it is not in Broadway.

I dont think the B46 should go via that routing. If Dekalb Avenue and Bedford/Nostrand needs more service, then it would be better to add a bus per hour on the B38 and the B44. It's too long out for it to be faster.

The B47 split I don't really have a problem with, but I feel that the 46 and 47 should flip-flop terminals if there was a split at Rutland. The northern split would retain the B47 designation, and would remain at GA. The southern split would be a Flatbush Route (B78). It wouldnt make the B46 local all of a sudden unreliable, but it'll reduce the impact of unreliability.

FWIW, LIberty av is dead, fam.... There's no benefit to bringing back bus service along Liberty if the MTA knows they're getting away with murder with how they're running service on the Q24... On top of that, for as many people that falls within the catchment area of the Q24... Go 'head, look at how much bus service there is binding the (A)(C), (J), Penn av, and Crescent st..... Huge catchment area isn't it..... And the part that sucks is that splitting the Q24 isn't a viable option either, since the masses are seeking either Lefferts, Woodhaven, or Jamaica proper, and the usage west of B'way Junction is & has increased

As for the B12, only thing I miss about it running to City Line was that I'd walk the 1 stop back (before Alabama av, across the street from the eastern side of ENY Depot) to evade the crowd at Alabama av for the ride back west..... There would almost always be less than 5 people on the bus coming from City Line, before any embarking occurred at Alabama itself..... Amazing how it took the MTA so long to realize all the mileage that was being wasted by running B12's east of Alabama av (J).....

...B47 is another story of it's self. Serious bus bunching and the route needs to be cut in 1/2 to keep up with demand of service.

How long is it that the both of us have been preachin this (in bold).....

But yeah, the B47 is a hot mess.... The B40 was an antiquated route & had to go.... The problem with the B78 was that the MTA never bothered to increase service on that route, even though it was clearly warranted..... The B47 b/w the (3) & Woodhull IMO is overserved - the grunt of the B47 service should be focused on the former B78 portion of the route.....

The MTA has a history of merging very lowly utilized routes with well utilized routes with minimal to a moderate (at worst) amount of problems...

I dont think the B46 should go via that routing. If Dekalb Avenue and Bedford/Nostrand needs more service, then it would be better to add a bus per hour on the B38 and the B44. It's too long out for it to be faster.

The B47 split I don't really have a problem with, but I feel that the 46 and 47 should flip-flop terminals if there was a split at Rutland. The northern split would retain the B47 designation, and would remain at GA. The southern split would be a Flatbush Route (B78). It wouldnt make the B46 local all of a sudden unreliable, but it'll reduce the impact of unreliability.

What are we talking about here, the B46 locals, B46 SBS, all B46 service?

But yeah, the B47 is a hot mess.... The B40 was an antiquated route & had to go.... The problem with the B78 was that the MTA never bothered to increase service on that route, even though it was clearly warranted..... The B47 b/w the (3) & Woodhull IMO is overserved - the grunt of the B47 service should be focused on the former B78 portion of the route.....

The MTA has a history of merging very lowly utilized routes with well utilized routes with minimal to a moderate (at worst) amount of problems...

What are we talking about here, the B46 locals, B46 SBS, all B46 service?

Until the (MTA) realizes this issue. You just can't have 4-5 B47's bunching in one direction and vice versa.

Since living in this part of town I see it first hand on how the B47 line is delegated with Grand Avenue (to be the worst).

Until something changes, the service between Kings Plaza and Sutter Avenue will continue to be underserved (Heck send the 47 back to FB for coverage on the southend). GA can cover the northend. I mean it's done already with Fresh Pond. It can be done here also)

I don't know about the B46 SBS reroute. It sounds like if it takes this route, it will become worse than the B44 SBS.

Which re-route would you suggest for the B46SBS+, and honestly the B44SBS+ is already hell as it is and didn't need to be established. I'd rather the B41 to have the SBS+ for the debut.

Which re-route would you suggest for the B46SBS+, and honestly the B44SBS+ is already hell as it is and didn't need to be established. I'd rather the B41 to have the SBS+ for the debut.

Honestly, here is no easy way to make the SBS to to WBP, which is why we all slowly came up with the B46/B47/B78 combo. I stick to my Myrtle Avenue idea for the B46.

Until the (MTA) realizes this issue. You just can't have 4-5 B47's bunching in one direction and vice versa.

Since living in this part of town I see it first hand on how the B47 line is delegated with Grand Avenue (to be the worst).

Until something changes, the service between Kings Plaza and Sutter Avenue will continue to be underserved (Heck send the 47 back to FB for coverage on the southend). GA can cover the northend. I mean it's done already with Fresh Pond. It can be done here also)

I think they already, and been realize[d] the issue.... It's that they refuse to do anything about it.

Much like the crap I put up with, with this B12 - another route I've made numerous posts about, this year alone....

Hell, I just came off the B12 a couple mins. ago @ KCH.... Two B47's were at ENY/Ralph in front the B12 I was on (both were basically empty).... I'm looking at bustime right this second, and now there's some distance b/w them (av D, av L).... I bet money the trailing bus is the bus that is jampacked after picking up pax from up off the (3)....

FWIW, LIberty av is dead, fam.... There's no benefit to bringing back bus service along Liberty if the MTA knows they're getting away with murder with how they're running service on the Q24... On top of that, for as many people that falls within the catchment area of the Q24... Go 'head, look at how much bus service there is binding the (A)(C), (J), Penn av, and Crescent st..... Huge catchment area isn't it..... And the part that sucks is that splitting the Q24 isn't a viable option either, since the masses are seeking either Lefferts, Woodhaven, or Jamaica proper, and the usage west of B'way Junction is & has increased

As for the B12, only thing I miss about it running to City Line was that I'd walk the 1 stop back (before Alabama av, across the street from the eastern side of ENY Depot) to evade the crowd at Alabama av for the ride back west..... There would almost always be less than 5 people on the bus coming from City Line, before any embarking occurred at Alabama itself..... Amazing how it took the MTA so long to realize all the mileage that was being wasted by running B12's east of Alabama av (J).....

I never understood why they don't have the Q24 turn on either Georgia or Alabama Avenue rather than Pennsylvania---

IMO that would shave at least 3-5 minutes off the trip, especially when it's rush hour. There's too much traffic off the Jackie Robinson.

Coming back, maybe it should follow the B20 on Fulton st to Pennsylvania.

I have an idea for the B20/Q24, but I don't think it's a good one:

Cut the Q24 back to Broadway Junction and have the B20 short turns replace the Q24 west of BJ (no pun intended). What do you guys think?

That might be an issue as B35 mentioned, since usage has increased since the Q24 had its cut restored.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

I have an idea for the B20/Q24, but I don't think it's a good one:

Cut the Q24 back to Broadway Junction and have the B20 short turns replace the Q24 west of BJ (no pun intended). What do you guys think?

That might be an issue as B35 mentioned, since usage has increased since the Q24 had its cut restored.

I don't think the folks on the otherside of Bed-Stuy/Bushwick would NOT like this idea.

Plus (J)/(Z) trains can be horrendous when it comes to service. In a sense you do need the (Q24) servicing west of the Junction.

As for the B20 situation, This idea [MAY] not work. For one thing the 20 is already a workhorse traveling to Ridgewood, than for that to continue traveling west on Broadway to Lafayette Ave for B38 service [That's asking for extra unnecessary traffic].

What needs to be addressed with that is how do you get the 20 back on regular route if you were to travel west on Broadway? 

I don't think the folks on the otherside of Bed-Stuy/Bushwick would NOT like this idea.

Plus (J)/(Z) trains can be horrendous when it comes to service. In a sense you do need the (Q24) servicing west of the Junction.

As for the B20 situation, This idea [MAY] not work. For one thing the 20 is already a workhorse traveling to Ridgewood, than for that to continue traveling west on Broadway to Lafayette Ave for B38 service [That's asking for extra unnecessary traffic].

What needs to be addressed with that is how do you get the 20 back on regular route if you were to travel west on Broadway? 

The B20's going to Lafayette would in his plan be extended Broadway Junction short turns that already are in the schedule.No Ridgewood bound buses would be rerouted or shortened.

I still don't like it tho.I'm waiting for B35's opinion...

Please don't blast me, but here's my idea. Let's restore all the routes that were cut, and/or shortened by route or time back in 2010. Even though, some of the service was restored.

Restore overnight service back to the B31, B39, B45, B64, B65,& (B67 between Kensington & DUMBO)

B70: Between Sunset Park & Vetrans Hospital, 4am-1am, daily

B71: Berween Crown Heights and Carrol Gardens, 5am-12am, daily

B37: Between Bay Ridge-Shore Rd and Downtown Brooklyn-Court Street, via 3rd Avenue, at all times.

B77: Between IKEA Terminal & Dikeman/Conover Streets, 5am-1am

B75: Between DUMBO & Park Slope, at all times

B57: Between Maspeth and Downtown Brooklyn, via Flushing Avenue, at all times.

B61: Between Downtown Brooklyn & Red Hook, at all times

B64: Coney Island Subway Station & Bay Ridge, at all times

B1: Between Manhattan Beach & Bay Ridge, via Bay Ridge Ave & 86th Street, at all times

B2: Between Kings Plaza and Kings Highway Station, 5am-1am, daily

B3: Between Bensonhurst and East 73rd Street/Avenue X, 6am-10pm, daily

B4: Between Bay Ridge & Sheepshead Bay, 4am-1am, daily

B7: Between Bedford Stuyvesant and Midwood(days/evenings) and/or Flatbush Av(late nights), at all times

B9: Between Bay Ridge and Kings Plaza(5am-12am)/ Avenue L-Flatbush Av(12am-2am), daily

B11: Between Midwood & Sunset Park (4am-1am), daily

B12: Between Lefferts Gardens & Cypress Hills (the full route), all times

B13: Between Gateway Mall & Graham/Metropolitan Avenues, 5am-1am daily

B16: Between Prospect Park Station & Bay Ridge, 4am-1am, daily

B23: Between Borough Park & Flatbush, 5am-12am, daily

B24: Between Williamsburg & Greenpoint, 4am-12am, daily

B51: Between Downtown Brooklyn and City Hall, Manhattan, 6am-10pm, weekdays

Please tell me what you guys think, but no negativity, okay

Please don't blast me, but here's my idea. Let's restore all the routes that were cut, and/or shortened by route or time back in 2010. Even though, some of the service was restored.

Restore overnight service back to the B31, B39, B45, B64, B65,& (B67 between Kensington & DUMBO)

B37: Between Bay Ridge-Shore Rd and Downtown Brooklyn-Court Street, via 3rd Avenue, at all times.

B1: Between Manhattan Beach & Bay Ridge, via Bay Ridge Ave & 86th Street, at all times

B7: Between Bedford Stuyvesant and Midwood(days/evenings) and/or Flatbush Av(late nights), at all times

B9: Between Bay Ridge and Kings Plaza(5am-12am)/ Avenue L-Flatbush Av(12am-2am), daily

I don't want routes restored for the hell of it.  Some of these okay, but I don't know about all of them.

Why would you want to bring back ALL of the 2010 cuts back into service? A majority were already revived in the 2013-14 era, so it really doesn't make sense.

I'll just do the ones that aren't running today. For starters:

Late night routes: they are either too light and/or too short to get late night service. If there is the (J) between Marcy Av and Essex St, there is no reason to have the B39 supplement it during late nights.

B71: Head shaking... not sure what to say here. Maybe if it had it's extension to the Ferry.......

B37: I feel Downtown Brooklyn is crowded enough.

B57/61/75/77:service is fine the way it is now, especially since the new B61 is an expanded B77.

B1/B64: Let's just leave 86 St alone. One route on an entire street is better than two different routes taking over two parts of one street.

B7/B9/B11: Can't comment on these routes

B12: I heard the Lefferts Branch was light. Not recommended.

B13: The former B18 seemed like crap, even when it became a B13 extension.

B23: Maybe for school kids, otherwise no.

B51: Same reason as the B37, plus I don't like the idea of a Brooklyn-Manhattan shuttle service. I even feel the B39 shouldn't really exist unless it got an extension of some sort.

B51: Same reason as the B37, plus I don't like the idea of a Brooklyn-Manhattan shuttle service. I even feel the B39 shouldn't really exist unless it got an extension of some sort.

The B39 exists for wheelchair passengers primarily, since neither Marcy Avenue nor Essex Street is wheelchair accessible. The B51 isnt needed since Borough Hall and Brooklyn Bridge are.

The B39 exists for wheelchair passengers primarily, since neither Marcy Avenue nor Essex Street is wheelchair accessible. The B51 isnt needed since Borough Hall and Brooklyn Bridge are.

Yeah I know that, but I feel that there should be ADA accessibility money invested at these stations instead of the B39. Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Why would you want to bring back ALL of the 2010 cuts back into service? A majority were already revived in the 2013-14 era, so it really doesn't make sense.

I'll just do the ones that aren't running today. For starters:

Late night routes: they are either too light and/or too short to get late night service. If there is the (J) between Marcy Av and Essex St, there is no reason to have the B39 supplement it during late nights.

B71: Head shaking... not sure what to say here. Maybe if it had it's extension to the Ferry.......

B37: I feel Downtown Brooklyn is crowded enough.

B57/61/75/77:service is fine the way it is now, especially since the new B61 is an expanded B77.

B1/B64: Let's just leave 86 St alone. One route on an entire street is better than two different routes taking over two parts of one street.

B7/B9/B11: Can't comment on these routes

B12: I heard the Lefferts Branch was light. Not recommended.

B13: The former B18 seemed like crap, even when it became a B13 extension.

B23: Maybe for school kids, otherwise no.

The B71 should be brought back. I was at a transit meeting in Brooklyn and there were several comments about how pathetic local bus service is there (Red Hook).

The B51 had a market and it should be brought back.  The B39 also had a market which the (MTA) killed with the piss poor headways.

I beg to differ.  The B51 served a different purpose.  Buses don't always exist due to a lack of a subway.

In short some of those 2010 cuts the (MTA) made because they were itching to get rid of some lines and budget issues gave them the out they had been looking for.

Yeah I know that, but I feel that there should be ADA accessibility money invested at these stations instead of the B39.

Disagree.  There are some that use the buses because they provide an alternative and are safer than the subway.  The elderly don't want to use the subway even if they are ADA accessible.  Would you want your grandmother riding the subway when the bus is safer?

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Disagree. There are some that use the buses because they provide an alternative and are safer than the subway. The elderly don't want to use the subway even if they are ADA accessible. Would you want your grandmother riding the subway when the bus is safer?

Good points. Still think the B39 can benefit from some form of extension, even if it's just to be a Delancey/Kenmore mini crosstown.

Good points. Still think the B39 can benefit from some form of extension, even if it's just to be a Delancey/Kenmore mini crosstown.

Disagree. I grew up in Brooklyn and I know what's going on there.  A lot of commercial and residential development throughout Brooklyn.  There needs to be continued restoration of service where necessary.  Not everything, but definitely more than what exists.  A lot of areas growing in population that were once industrial, and the people moving in what more transportation, and the subway doesn't necessarily serve their needs.  You can refer to the B71 article I just posted as an example.  In fact Brooklyn continues to become more vocal as residents move there and I don't blame them. The (MTA) is short-changing them.  I was very proud of how vocal Red Hook residents were at another transportation meeting I attended down in Brooklyn Heights several weeks ago.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8