A Brooklyn arena rises and so do transportation worries.

"Although I haven’t written much about it over the past few years, I have a personal interest in the Barclays Center/Atlantic Yards project. I can walk to the new arean in around 10-15 minutes from my apartment, and the project’s potential impact looms large over my current corner of New York City. From the subway crowds evening events will bring to the folks trawling the neighborhood looking for that elusive free parking spot, this project has the ability to disrupt life in Brownstone Brooklyn if it’s not handled correctly.

Last night, the major stakeholders in the project gathered in Brooklyn to discuss the infrastructure impact the project will have. Led by Sam Schwartz, the traffic and transportation consultant for the project, Forest City Ratner officials and local politicians led a meeting and discussion on transportation demand. While transit use remains the focus for arena-bound patrons, it’s unclear if the plan goes far enough to avoid an influx of congestion in the area, and a call for a residential parking permit program has stalled in Albany.

The simple truth about the Barclays Center arena is that it is not a car-friendly spot. Unlike Yankee Stadium or Citi Field, the Meadowlands, the abomination in Nassau County or even MSG, the Nets’ future home isn’t neighboring a highway (or, in the case of MGS, the Lincoln Tunnel). The BQE is a distance away down an oft-congested Flatbush Ave., and the nearest river crossings feed from local streets. Instead, it is atop one of the system’s great subway and LIRR focal points with the IND Crosstown and Fulton St. lines nearby. Transit use should be encouraged.

During last night’s presentation, that’s exactly how the project engineers framed it. For starters, the Barclays Center on its website and promotional materials will not discuss parking. It instead urges everyone to take transit, and people are responding. According toSchwartz’s presentation, mode share is now expected to be weighted toward transit trips with 40 percent of attendees across all events opting for the subway. But around 30 percent are still expected to drive — at least at first and until they see how inconvenient it will be to drive there.

To compensate for post-game crowds, the MTA will add extra Q and 4 trains into Manhattan. The authority runs a similar service along the 7 for Mets games and D and 4 for Yankee games. Extra buses will service the area, and the LIRR will add post-event trains as well. Pre-game peak hour crowds heading to the arena will cause crowding, but with a great number of lines passing through the area, the MTA seems to expect a diffuse impact.

Source Link: http://secondavenues...ontent=FaceBook

They should also look at doing this:

For weeknight games, extend (B) service until either one hour after the scheduled conclusion of events at the Barclays Center OR 1:00 AM, whichever is earlier if (B) service would need to be extended to accommodate an event that would finish after the normal end of (B) service along the line.

Before and after games, (A) trains going to Lefferts or The Rockaways should stop at Lafayette (going express after that if normally express at that time). A similar crossover should be built east of Lafayette Avenue to allow Manhattan bound (A) trains to cross over and stop at Lafayette Avenue before going to Hoyt-Schermerhorn.

After games, when needed, extra (D) trains should originate if possible at Atlantic Avenue and operate via the bypass to Manhattan and then normal to 205th Street.

Special game-day (G) trains should be looked at for operating from 71st-Continental before games and to 71st-Continental after games. These could essentially be (F) trains re-routed via the (G). Additional game-day (G) service could operate from Bedford-Nostrand and Coney Island, to Bedford-Nostrand before games and to Coney Island after games.

Those along with what is planned should suffice.

Guest Lance

Or..., they could handle Barclays the same way they handle Yankee Stadium with LIRR trains to the game out of Atlantic Terminal and extra subway trains before and after the games. Remember that the primary goal in this (at least regarding the subway) is to get Manhattanites over to the Barclays Center. While it may help other riders in the other boroughs, it's not the primary focus. That's why the baseball specials for the (B) and (D) end at 2 Av and the (4) at Bowling Green. It's also why the (7) specials bypass a majority of the stops in Queens.

Also, while the Crosstown line is close to the center with Fulton St, I doubt many people will use the meandering (G) line all the way from Queens Blvd. The (F) is much faster, even with the Manhattan stops.

Or..., they could handle Barclays the same way they handle Yankee Stadium with LIRR trains to the game out of Atlantic Terminal and extra subway trains before and after the games. Remember that the primary goal in this (at least regarding the subway) is to get Manhattanites over to the Barclays Center. While it may help other riders in the other boroughs, it's not the primary focus. That's why the baseball specials for the (B) and (D) end at 2 Av and the (4) at Bowling Green. It's also why the (7) specials bypass a majority of the stops in Queens.

Also, while the Crosstown line is close to the center with Fulton St, I doubt many people will use the meandering (G) line all the way from Queens Blvd. The (F) is much faster, even with the Manhattan stops.

Some (B), (D) baseball specials do run to Brooklyn at times, one weekend (B) even ran on the Brighton as a express according to someone a earlier this year. There usually is no extra service before Yankee games or Met games unless the vintage trains are running.

The (4) Barclays specials will likely end at 149 St middle track (skipping 138 St).

The (Q) Barclays specials will likely end at 57 St.

I think some people are being overly optimiistic, to say the least, about the crowds at Barclay's.. I don't recall any extra service at MSG for regular season Knicks or Ranger games(on the IRT) so why should this be any different? Ringling Brothers hits MSG every Springtime and I don't recall any extra subway service and parking is atrocious around there, too. I'm saying let's not jump the gun just yet. Draw up contingency plans by all means but after the center opens and the "new" factor has worn off we're basically talking about the Nets, with all due respect. I am guessing that the largest attendance for the first year of Barclay's will be the Jay-Z concert and the Barbra Streisand concerts, along with Net's opening night and the Knick games. Heck, a lot of Streisand's crowd may travel by LIRR or limo.Feel free to share your thoughts but I'm sticking to my forecast. Carry on.

I think some people are being overly optimiistic, to say the least, about the crowds at Barclay's.. I don't recall any extra service at MSG for regular season Knicks or Ranger games(on the IRT) so why should this be any different? Ringling Brothers hits MSG every Springtime and I don't recall any extra subway service and parking is atrocious around there, too. I'm saying let's not jump the gun just yet. Draw up contingency plans by all means but after the center opens and the "new" factor has worn off we're basically talking about the Nets, with all due respect. I am guessing that the largest attendance for the first year of Barclay's will be the Jay-Z concert and the Barbra Streisand concerts, along with Net's opening night and the Knick games. Heck, a lot of Streisand's crowd may travel by LIRR or limo.Feel free to share your thoughts but I'm sticking to my forecast. Carry on.

Little off topic but related. Jimmy Kimmel the host of the ABC-TV late night show(Born in Brooklyn but moved to west coast as a child)announced a couple of days ago, he doing a few days of his show in the Fall (mid-late october)from the Barclay arena as well. So this is getting national media attention as well.

Plenty of transit options are currently available in that area of Bklyn. I won't even drive there without the BC ! You would have to crazy to entertain the thought. I do feel for the residents though.

Plenty of transit options are currently available in that area of Bklyn. I won't even drive there without the BC ! You would have to crazy to entertain the thought. I do feel for the residents though.

BC??? I get it, never mind.

Keystone,

Thanks for the link.

I always have to double back when I hear the term "Brownstone Brooklyn": what does that mean? I really haven't heard that term until recently and I have known the adjoining neighborhoods for decades. Oh well....

There are many public transportation options, and they are even better than the other stadiums in NYC. People have to remember these trains stop less than a couple blocks (distance) away: (2)(3)(4)(5)(B)(D)(N)(Q)(R) (LIRR) and a little further away (only a 5-6 minute walk) the (C) and (G). Trust me, the area is WELL SERVED by 11 train lines as well as the (LIRR). Once people realize the parking will be crap, the public transportation will be better utilized, and I do believe that.

Long Islanders have it good if they are along the LIRR--it really doesn't get more convenient than that. The station is LITERALLY across the street from the stadium.

I'd worry more about crime than (inadequate) transportation when they start holding events at that arena....

LOL!!!!

True, true indeed.

They should also look at doing this:

For weeknight games, extend (B) service until either one hour after the scheduled conclusion of events at the Barclays Center OR 1:00 AM, whichever is earlier if (B) service would need to be extended to accommodate an event that would finish after the normal end of (B) service along the line.

Before and after games, (A) trains going to Lefferts or The Rockaways should stop at Lafayette (going express after that if normally express at that time). A similar crossover should be built east of Lafayette Avenue to allow Manhattan bound (A) trains to cross over and stop at Lafayette Avenue before going to Hoyt-Schermerhorn.

After games, when needed, extra (D) trains should originate if possible at Atlantic Avenue and operate via the bypass to Manhattan and then normal to 205th Street.

Special game-day (G) trains should be looked at for operating from 71st-Continental before games and to 71st-Continental after games. These could essentially be (F) trains re-routed via the (G). Additional game-day (G) service could operate from Bedford-Nostrand and Coney Island, to Bedford-Nostrand before games and to Coney Island after games.

Those along with what is planned should suffice.

I agree with extending the hours of the (B). I like the idea of extra (D) trains.

As for the (A) and (G), I personally don't think that would be necessary.

I always have to double back when I hear the term "Brownstone Brooklyn": what does that mean? I really haven't heard that term until recently and I have known the adjoining neighborhoods for decades. Oh well....

Basically, all the regions of Brooklyn known for rows and rows of brownstones. Basically concentrated in the northwestern areas: Bed-Stuy, Clinton Hill, Park Slope, Carroll Gardens, western Crown Heights.

It's not really a term you hear an awful lot. I used to hear it in the Phoenix magazine when we used to get it about 30 years ago. IIRC, it billed itself as "the magazine of brownstone Brooklyn".

Im in the area alot again lately visiting old buddies from the 70s and 80s.

Talking how dead the neighborhood once was and now how crazy it is now.

Once the apt buildings goes up, will the have parking for non residents who visit the stadium?

A few businesses have been closing alot near Flatbush and 5th ave due to the staduim.

With the mall being there and traffic heavy in the area. I think if people drive in, it will be crazy.

Just think they told the Brooklyn Dodgers no when they wanted the spot.

Brooklyn has always been heavy with Brownstones, once litter the area, there are some as you move toward Washington Clinton area (even old farm houses) and heading to Park Slope.

Once Fulton St became residental to busimess, they torn down most or turn them to office buildings.

S/F,

CEYA!

Perhaps they can increase the frequency of Queens-bound and also 95th-St bound R trains on those days as well. Brooklyn-bound R trains are run LESS frequently than the D and N trains after 9pm. The service cut really shows.

Then the (R) should also have its "normal" hours extended for night events at Barclays as I would for the (B) on weeknight games.

Keystone,

Thanks for the link.

There are many public transportation options, and they are even better than the other stadiums in NYC. People have to remember these trains stop less than a couple blocks (distance) away: (2)(3)(4)(5)(B)(D)(N)(Q)(R) (LIRR) and a little further away (only a 5-6 minute walk) the (C) and (G). Trust me, the area is WELL SERVED by 11 train lines as well as the (LIRR). Once people realize the parking will be crap, the public transportation will be better utilized, and I do believe that.

Long Islanders have it good if they are along the LIRR--it really doesn't get more convenient than that. The station is LITERALLY across the street from the stadium.

You're very welcomed! Brownstone Brooklyn should be answered already. As for transportation, indeed there is a lot of options in the area, that is why they are promoting transit instead of driving to the Stadium. Indeed, it's convenient but people have to just use it, and I hope this increased service and what-not will help reducing automobile traffic. I might even take the LIRR from Forest Hills via Jamaica if they can make a City Ticket that does just that...

Archived