Will NICE ever wrap the Orion V's?

Barring an unexpected fleet change by Veolia, NICE will be operating the 1633-1699 group of 2004 05.501's until at least 2016. I'm sure the priority is to cover over the MTA blue and white scheme on the 1700's and 1800's first, but it will be interesting to see if any of the older buses ever get the full NICE wrap treatment.

Personally, I'm not sure they would do this - I could see them being satisfied just to keep the older Orions in the LI Bus orange and blue stripes since that scheme has the new system's colors in it and looks nothing like an MTA bus.

Nope. The Orion VII buses will stay for at least 12 more years, compared to the four years left on the Orion V

You think the Orion V will last for another 4 years? HA! Not with the current maintenance levels.

You think the Orion V will last for another 4 years? HA! Not with the current maintenance levels.

Really the 2000 Orion V CNGs can only last another 2-3 years with the tanks...but since maintenance has fell through after the MTA left shop...they might not even make another year!

The oldest Orion Vs are all but dead. I'm surprised 1528 is still rolling around - that's no indicator that the rest of the 2000 fleet is doing any better. Unusually enough, I have seen a surge in NG activity - lines that rarely received NGs before 2011 are inundated with them.

The oldest Orion Vs are all but dead. I'm surprised 1528 is still rolling around - that's no indicator that the rest of the 2000 fleet is doing any better. Unusually enough, I have seen a surge in NG activity - lines that rarely received NGs before 2011 are inundated with them.

What are some routes that rarely received NGs before 2011?

Will NICE buy a new fleet of buses once all the Orion V's are retired?

Depends on whether or not, at the time the 1600s have to go, if Nassau County gets more funds from the state.

Maybe since Orion is leaving maybe they may have New Flyers out on Lon island to replace the other half of the 2000-2002 Orion V's and 2003-4 ones.

I would be so mad if they get the restyled front though.

You really are mad that Long Island is getting shiny new buses, aren't you?

We couldnt get the Restyled front and it's funny how the XD40's front is like the restyled ones.

We didn't get the LFR because:

A) The LFR model wasn't approved by the MTA at the time of order.

B) CTA (IIRC) placed an order that would have used up the last of the "LF" faces but it never came through so other TAs piggybacked, NYMTA being one of them.

If you look at it now, getting the LF model was better for parts and fleet commonality. That's money saved. And finally, the Xcelsior has some of its designs taken from the Restyled model.

It's not like we're getting 200 new buses at once like NYC, so kindly save the butthurt...

Only the oldest of the Orion Vs (and exactly how many buses LIB got in 2000 I'd have to ask a TTMG member) are even getting replaced. Last I saw of 1527, it was on a not-so-heavy line (N35) but a few of them still do have life in them. The heat is putting a strain on the entirety of the Orion Vs, however.

It's not like we're getting 200 new buses at once like NYC, so kindly save the butthurt...

Only the oldest of the Orion Vs (and exactly how many buses LIB got in 2000 I'd have to ask a TTMG member) are even getting replaced. Last I saw of 1527, it was on a not-so-heavy line (N35) but a few of them still do have life in them. The heat is putting a strain on the entirety of the Orion Vs, however.

And they never did that well in the heat to begin with. The original 288-356 batch is more or less shot, over 12 years old and the engines have lost alot of their power. Those things weren't that fast to begin with. I feel bad for any b/o that gets stuck driving one of those things in this weather. If I were Veolia I'd shift most of these older buses to the south shore and lighter use routes. Sadly I've seen the opposite, lots of 1500s on the N20, probably the hardest route on the bus in this weather! I'd prolly keep the a/c running till the bus overheats, so they could give me a newer one.. :lol:

Maybe since Orion is leaving maybe they may have New Flyers out on Lon island to replace the other half of the 2000-2002 Orion V's and 2003-4 ones.

I would be so mad if they get the restyled front though.

I'm sure with the money they have that the next order is going to a smaller builder like NABI or Gillig, maybe even Designline.

Archived