Question about riding the express bus

VWM

No. The fare is just higher. It's $5.50 on regular Metrocards.

Yes and no... If you want to use an Unlimited Metrocard on the express bus, it must be the $50.00 Unlimited Express Bus Plus card which lasts for 7 days and is good on express buses, local buses and the subway. You CANNOT use the regular Unlimited Metrocard. Your other option is a pay-per-ride Metrocard, but you must have $5.50. You do get a free transfer to or from the local bus, subway or another express bus.

As for where to get them, if you want an Unlimited Express Bus Plus card it is best to go to vending machine in the subway this way you get a receipt if there is a problem. The stores tend to run out of them or don't have them for whatever reason depending on the area. The pay-per-ride card you can get just about anywhere.

There used to be a monthly Unlimited Express Bus Plus card but it was discontinued supposedly because they were too costly to lose. I think it was around $120.00 or something. Quite frankly I think it was discontinued because it was a steal of a deal, especially compared to what I pay now at $200.00 - $250.00 a month depending on how many weeks there are in the month.

Yes and no... If you want to use an Unlimited Metrocard on the express bus, it must be the $50.00 Unlimited Express Bus Plus card which lasts for 7 days and is good on express buses, local buses and the subway. You CANNOT use the regular Unlimited Metrocard. Your other option is a pay-per-ride Metrocard, but you must have $5.50. You do get a free transfer to or from the local bus, subway or another express bus.

If he transfers from the subway/local bus to the express he'll get charged an additional $3.25

There used to be a monthly Unlimited Express Bus Plus card but it was discontinued supposedly because they were too costly to lose. I think it was around $120.00 or something. Quite frankly I think it was discontinued because it was a steal of a deal, especially compared to what I pay now at $200.00 - $250.00 a month depending on how many weeks there are in the month.

The only reason was because it was a steep discount. LIRR & MNRR passes are generally more expensive than express bus passes (especially if you get one of those with the MetroCard on the back), and yet they kept them. (Since you can't use those things on the subway unless you pay extra for a MetroCard)

Uh huh... I believe they also accept them on the Bee Line express bus too (BxM4C), but that one is $7.50. I'm putting that out since I don't know which express bus you plan on using.

BxM4C is $7.50? Hell no...

The only one I can get to easily is the X63 (and even, that's a transfer from the N4)

Well, NICE express buses are $2.25! ;)

Yeah, so when you're riding, don't expect to get on and off in the same borough. Express routes are closed door at all times they run, so be aware of that.

The only one I can get to easily is the X63 (and even, that's a transfer from the N4)

It's actually not that bad when you consider the distance up in Westchester, plus they get a free transfer to the BxM18 if they need to go Downtown. I'm actually on a Pay-Per-Ride which carried over from last week because of the holiday (I'll be picking up an Unlimited Express Bus Plus card tonight on the way back to Riverdale) and such and I used MetroNorth this morning. It was $2.25 for the Hudson Rail Link shuttle, then $7.50 for the MetroNorth peak ticket from Spuyten Duyvil to Grand Central, so $9.75 total one way. Luckily for me I'm just a few blocks from Grand Central so no more transfers are needed, but if I worked Downtown or somewhere with a two fare zone... <_< I'm sure it costs a bit more in Westchester using MetroNorth, so at $7.50 it is actually a bargain. Then again most of Westchester is fairly affluent so they don't even blink at $7.50.

Here in Riverdale, you have the big wigs who use MetroNorth and to my surprise they also use the Hudson Rail Link Bus, probably because parking is so limited at the Spuyten Duyvil station, so it is more convenient to use the shuttle bus. I read about the income levels for MetroNorth riders somewhere. I'll post them when I find them. I have no idea what they are for express bus riders, but I'm sure they're decent too, especially in certain neighborhoods.

EDIT: This data is a bit old, but seems about right... It states that more than half of MetroNorth riders report incomes over $100,000.

http://www.pcac.org/...maller-file.pdf

Here in Riverdale, the average income is anywhere from $60,000 - over $70,000 and up in the most expensive parts and most of the express bus riders I see in Riverdale (especially on the BxM1 express bus in the mornings) are fairly well to do, so even if you pay say $5.50 five days a week, twice a day you'd be paying maybe $220.00 a month at the most, but you get a bonus anyway, so for those folks it is a drop in the bucket. For me, if I exclude my MetroNorth trips (usually about 2 - 3 times a week), I pay about $200.00 - $250.00 a month, but I don't drive and considering how much I use the express bus (about 7 days a week usually) it's a steal, even with the additional cost for MetroNorth.

Here's an example using Canarsie. As you can tell, people in the neighborhood are fairly "affluent"...

http://homes.point2....mographics.aspx

I don't know about that when looking at the median income level... I believe the median income level in NYC is about $50,000. Those are more like average IMO, but to each their own. It certainly isn't close to the folks in the wealthy parts of Westchester or areas like Fieldston.

http://www.homefinde...cal-real-estate

I don't know about that when looking at the median income level... I believe the median income level in NYC is about $50,000. Those are more like average IMO, but to each their own. It certainly isn't close to the folks in in the wealthy parts of Westchester or areas like Fieldston.

http://www.homefinde...cal-real-estate

That is generally high, but that's still techically middle class...

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into an affluence debate...

Yes, that was my point...

I don't know how old you are but yeah, I can see how you can think it's expensive because it is unless you earn well or have low expenses overall. I actually started using the express bus as an experiment when I was 24. I was earning decently at the time and figured I'd try it out. Once I found out about the Unlimited Express Bus Plus pass I was hooked.

If you plan to use Bee-Line BxM4C, which was increase $7.50 in order to save weekday service.

It only use Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard or in coins. Still no bills.

If you have $7.50 in your MetroCard, you get free transfer to Bee-Line local buses, NYC Buses, or subway or Roosevelt Island Tramway within 2-hour.

The EasyPay Express metrocard works on them as well, as long as its the auto-refill pay per ride one. My suggestion is take the X1 to Grasmere, you can ride around the local buses in staten island, take in the railroad down there as well and either go back via the ferry or back on the X1. I took the X1 when I went to the Staten Island Zoo last year.

If you want to get to the Bronx Zoo you can try the BxM11 (or is it the 10, I forget which one goes up there)

The EasyPay Express metrocard works on them as well, as long as its the auto-refill pay per ride one. My suggestion is take the X1 to Grasmere, you can ride around the local buses in staten island, take in the railroad down there as well and either go back via the ferry or back on the X1. I took the X1 when I went to the Staten Island Zoo last year.

If you want to get to the Bronx Zoo you can try the BxM11 (or is it the 10, I forget which one goes up there)

Yeah, but those refill cards are annoying. I considered it but I would only want it if they had it for the Unlimited Express Bus Plus card. Once the Pay-Per-Ride hits a certain "low" point, it triggers the system to charge your card on file and refill the card even if you may not need it. I believe some folks use them and they were really marketed to folks on Staten Island since there are no subways and the stores often run out of MetroCards.

For the Bronx Zoo it is the BxM11....

Yeah, but those refill cards are annoying. I considered it but I would only want it if they had it for the Unlimited Express Bus Plus card. Once the Pay-Per-Ride hits a certain "low" point, it triggers the system to charge your card on file and refill the card even if you may not need it. I believe some folks use them and they were really marketed to folks on Staten Island since there are no subways and the stores often run out of MetroCards.

For the Bronx Zoo it is the BxM11....

Or Nassau riders. The NICE fareboxes are having problems because the paper MetroCards sold at LIRR TVM's demagnetize easily and dirty read heads faster.

Yeah, so when you're riding, don't expect to get on and off in the same borough. Express routes are closed door at all times they run, so be aware of that.

How about riding the BxM1 from East Midtown to Inwood? Is that not within the same borough? ;) (I guess you could throw Marble Hill into the mix, since it's part of Manhattan while being geographically attached to The Bronx).

I'm sure it costs a bit more in Westchester using MetroNorth, so at $7.50 it is actually a bargain. Then again most of Westchester is fairly affluent so they don't even blink at $7.50.

Here in Riverdale, you have the big wigs who use MetroNorth and to my surprise they also use the Hudson Rail Link Bus, probably because parking is so limited at the Spuyten Duyvil station, so it is more convenient to use the shuttle bus. I read about the income levels for MetroNorth riders somewhere. I'll post them when I find them. I have no idea what they are for express bus riders, but I'm sure they're decent too, especially in certain neighborhoods.

EDIT: This data is a bit old, but seems about right... It states that more than half of MetroNorth riders report incomes over $100,000.

http://www.pcac.org/...maller-file.pdf

If you're a daily commuter, it's cheaper to take Metro-North instead of the BxM4C. A monthly pass is $178, and even if you need a monthly MetroCard, that brings it up to $282. Meanwhile, the BxM4C would be $7.50 * 40, which is $300 (I mean, you get a bonus with a PPR MetroCard, but whatever)

They say the median (or was it average?) income of the EasyPayXPress MetroCards was around $76,000. Most of them are likely express bus riders, so the median income is probably in that area.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into an affluence debate...

If you look at the neighborhood wholistically, it's a middle-class area. However, there are some pockets with higher median incomes. In Canarsie, you have a few pockets with median incomes over $80,000, but personally when I think of "affluent" areas, I think of areas like the UES and everything.

The thing is that for some of the areas, I think there has to be some kind of error. I mean, it has Starrett City listed with a median income of $22,000. To give you an idea, the non-project parts of Brownsville & East NY have median incomes around $30,000. I mean, there's got to be some kind of explanation. Those things are based off samples, so maybe they just happened to get a crappy sample (they get most of their stuff from the census bureau. It's just that some different websites use different numbers)

The BxM11 directly serves the zoo, but the BxM10 isn't too far away. I think it stops over by the East 180th Street station on the (2)(5).

If you're a daily commuter, it's cheaper to take Metro-North instead of the BxM4C. A monthly pass is $178, and even if you need a monthly MetroCard, that brings it up to $282. Meanwhile, the BxM4C would be $7.50 * 40, which is $300 (I mean, you get a bonus with a PPR MetroCard, but whatever)

So only PPR MetroCards can be used on the BxM4C and not Unlimited Express Bus Plus cards? If that is the case then yes, MetroNorth could be cheaper depending on your transportation needs.

Archived