X28 "Restoration" update

Via Garibaldi 8

Network coverage only refer to basic public transit coverages and not express bus service which is special. If express buses were count as network coverage they must restore QM22 in my area of Astoria which wont happening.

Uh that is NOT true... You should look at network coverage on Staten Island and the X1 and X10 for example...

And this is why America is going downhill IMO. No compromise. NX says screw the ADA/Senor Community and is a hater of express buses. While VG8 is an express bus lover and wants every express bus to run 7 days a week if he could.

And on the Broadway point, even with the weekend cut on X27/28 service they had one of their best years ever in ticket sales. Plus much of the audience are from all over the US and beyond the local NYC residents saying a broadway show has gone down. So incorrect stat VG8 :D . I buy the point it helps Manhattan businesses if X27/28 weekend service ran but not on the Broadway show point.

Oh please... Broadway... Shopping... Dinner out... You get the point... It helps the economy in NYC overall... The whole Broadway show thing was just an example of what folks do when they go to the city... That's one reason why the BxM2 won't be killed on Sundays... It gets good usage because of the areas in the city it serves (Lincoln Center, Shopping by 34th street, Upper West Side shopping, Times Square, etc. etc.) Oh and I'm advocating for 24/7 express bus service, but yet I disagreed with you about running later BxM1 service... Yeah right... <_<

I'm sorry - is Bay Parkway (D) station not accessible anymore?

I'm sorry... Does the (D) serve the same areas in the city that the X28 does??

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to be clear, I know absolutely nothing about the area in question or ridership patterns. What I'm saying is solely based off of maps and statistics.

East of 18th Avenue, the distance between Cropsey Avenue and 86th Avenue is about 0.4 miles, so the X28 cannot be justified simply for "coverage" when the nearest subway is right nearby. West of 18th Avenue, the B8 provides service to the 18th Avenue (D) train stop. West of Bay Parkway, the B82 provides service to the Bay Parkway (D) stop and Coney Island, in addition to many other subway stations further in Brooklyn. The whole coverage argument is a load of bs when there's plenty of bus routes right nearby that provide adequate service to the nearest subway station.

With that argument buses such as the X90, QM22, and pretty much every single rush hour express bus should get weekend service because the nearest subway station is over 0.4 miles away.

A fully ADA accessible trip to Manhattan without the X28 isn't impossible, and it's possible by either taking the B1 to the X27, or the B82 to Coney Island and transfer for a (D)(F)(N)(Q) train to Manhattan. But really, out of those 3.7 riders per bus, how many of those were in wheelchairs or required the use of the lift because they were unable to climb stairs? It would be much cheaper and much more convenient to use Access-a-Ride to serve those people than bring back weekend service.

So based on the plenty of transit alternatives nearby as well as the fact that even with hourly service, buses only carried 3.7 passengers each, I don't think that X28 should get weekend service again.

Can't wait for VG8 reaction to this? :D

Just to be clear, I know absolutely nothing about the area in question or ridership patterns. What I'm saying is solely based off of maps and statistics.

East of 18th Avenue, the distance between Cropsey Avenue and 86th Avenue is about 0.4 miles, so the X28 cannot be justified simply for "coverage" when the nearest subway is right nearby. West of 18th Avenue, the B8 provides service to the 18th Avenue (D) train stop. West of Bay Parkway, the B82 provides service to the Bay Parkway (D) stop and Coney Island, in addition to many other subway stations further in Brooklyn. The whole coverage argument is a load of bs when there's plenty of bus routes right nearby that provide adequate service to the nearest subway station.

With that argument buses such as the X90, QM22, and pretty much every single rush hour express bus should get weekend service because the nearest subway station is over 0.4 miles away.

A fully ADA accessible trip to Manhattan without the X28 isn't impossible, and it's possible by either taking the B1 to the X27, or the B82 to Coney Island and transfer for a (D)(F)(N)(Q) train to Manhattan. But really, out of those 3.7 riders per bus, how many of those were in wheelchairs or required the use of the lift because they were unable to climb stairs? It would be much cheaper and much more convenient to use Access-a-Ride to serve those people than bring back weekend service.

So based on the plenty of transit alternatives nearby as well as the fact that even with hourly service, buses only carried 3.7 passengers each, I don't think that X28 should get weekend service again.

And that's exactly why you don't understand the importance of the X28... With that said, don't get angry because your community and representatives don't do anything to bring back the X90. That's not our problem. That's what your real issue is more than anything. Regardless of any of these comments, the communities that use the X28 will continue to fight for restoration of the X28 and I will continue work with Senator Golden to see what we can do in the meantime to bring relief to these communities who need and rely on the X28.

And that's exactly why you don't understand the importance of the X28... With that said, don't get angry because your community and representatives don't do anything to bring back the X90. That's not our problem. That's what your real issue is more than anything. Regardless of any of these comments, the communities that use the X28 will continue to fight for restoration of the X28 and I will continue work with Senator Golden to see what we can do in the meantime to bring relief to these communities who need and rely on the X28.

I don't understand why you even quoted my post if you weren't going to address any of the points I made. I'm not turning this into an X90 discussion. I was simply stating that the whole argument for coverage has no merit because the X90, QM22, and almost every single rush hour express bus are all much further from any transportation alternatives than the X28 yet they never had weekend service.

You said that I don't understand the importance of the X28, which is true. I fail to see how serving 3.7 riders per hour is so important, so please enlighten me.

I don't understand why you even quoted my post if you weren't going to address any of the points I made. I'm not turning this into an X90 discussion. I was simply stating that the whole argument for coverage has no merit because the X90, QM22, and almost every single rush hour express bus are all much further from any transportation alternatives than the X28 yet they never had weekend service.

You said that I don't understand the importance of the X28, which is true. I fail to see how serving 3.7 riders per hour is so important, so please enlighten me.

Gorgor you raised some excellent questions on why need for weekend X28 service? And VG8 Gorgor has already agreed that the X27 should run on weekends so keep that in mind.

It's very simple... That is nothing more than an average, which means that some buses weren't used and that is also going off of 30 minute frequencies which I don't think are needed. However, SOME service is needed hence the compromise made to have the X17 serve one stop on weekends at 7th & 86th. DOWN THE ROAD, which I have repeated over and over again (but you apparently don't read), I stated that hourly service could be implemented when more monies become available.

Ugh. The damn quote function is messing up, so I'll do it like this (my replies in red)

Gorgor says:

Just to put things in perspective:

These are the statistics for weekend ridership for the entire weekend (Saturday and Sunday combined)

X27: 5.2 riders per bus, 90 buses, 467 riders

X28: 3.7 riders per bus, 86 buses, 316 riders

Compared to the weekend ridership for these express bus routes...

X1: 25.9 riders per bus, 189 buses, 4898 riders

X10: 23.7 riders per bus, 112 buses, 2654 riders

BxM7: 17.3 riders per bus, 159 buses, 2743 riders

BxM1: 12.5 riders per bus, 88 buses, 1103 riders

You didn't take into account that the X27/28 weren't running for half the year, so the ridership should be doubled (trust me on this). The actual numbers are 1,080 for the X27 & 760 for the X28. See here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aha-LfXMlWNBdGplTGJUVm9oZ25DT3JLRWRjbzZkT2c#gid=3

Not that it really disproves your point (though it kind of does for the X27), but I'm just giving you the accurate numbers.

Via Garibaldi 8 says:

Sorry but the service is needed for network coverage. To put things in perspective, the X27 and X28 have the highest ridership of all express buses in the MTA New York City Transit system after the X1, X17 and X10, coming in at 4th and 5th respectively. Many seniors rely on those buses and not having them created a hardship not only for them but for the entire community. Senator Golden and I along with the affected communities understand the importance of maintaining express bus service for Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst and Bath Beach and thus we've been vocal in keeping the service unlike your fellow express bus riders in Yorkville/Upper East Side.

I swear, if I had a penny every time seniors were mentioned....

Shortline Bus says:

FYI. That data Checkmate showing the X27/28 ridership is I am sure weekday since they have not run on weekends in over 2 years.

C'mon, man. Everybody on this forum should know that they haven't run on weekends in over 2 years. That's why the data is 2 years old. What other data are we supposed to use?

In any case, I posted the correct data above.

Via Garibaldi 8 says:

Oh really? The X27 serves Shore Road and the X28 runs mainly along Cropsey Avenue and both areas don't have subway service, not to mention that both the X27 and X28 run to East Midtown serving areas where there is no subway nearby, or one would have to make several transfers to get to and from the subway, so I'm not sure what type of alternatives you call that?? For that matter, parts of Shore Road served by the X27 don't even have a local bus running down it, so like I said the service is needed for network coverage.

Furthermore, if riders need the service on Saturday why wouldn't they need it on Sunday? That's like your argument about canning the BxM2 on Sundays, which does get usage BTW and actually saw AN INCREASE in ridership last year in the middle of a recession. Just because every single bus isn't filled doesn't mean that you cut the service. That happens on MANY routes. Ridership will fluctuate and there is nothing you can do but to try to not go crazy with service, but you still have to provide coverage.

And on the weekends, it lost ridership. :lol: :lol: (slaps knee): http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busMTA_weekend.htm Weekend ridership (Which is what matters since we're talking about Sunday service) is down 1.7% from last year.

Oooooh, weekday ridership went up by a whopping 8 daily riders. Big deal. <_<

Shortline Bus says:

NX says screw the ADA/Senor Community and is a hater of express buses.

Are we talking about retirement homes filled with Hispanic men or something? Sorry, I had to. :D

I swear, this BS about "express bus haters" is a load of crap.

Via Garibaldi 8 says:

Uh that is NOT true... You should look at network coverage on Staten Island and the X1 and X10 for example...

Yeah, so let's go ahead and cut the S59, S78, and S79, because the X1 provides network coverage, right?

Via Garibaldi 8 says:

I'm sorry... Does the (D) serve the same areas in the city that the X28 does??

Does the (A) serve the same areas that the QM18 does? Didn't think so.

Gorgor says:

The X28 ran every 30 minutes, not every hour.

And just pointing it out, but the QM10/11 run right on top of the Queens Blvd Line.

But otherwise, I agree with you.

Instigating.

------------------

What I don't understand is what's being debated/argued in these past couple posts......

Bro! Basically VG8 wants the X27/28 to run 6am-1am 7 days a week and he got ticked when anyone suggested otherwise. I said the same hours as before the June '10 cuts and he got unhappy.

At same time guys like Gorgor suggested only the X27 return to NX saying there no need for weekend x27/28 service. That where it got intense but never out of control.

Bro! Basically VG8 wants the X27/28 to run 6am-1am 7 days a week and he got ticked when anyone suggested otherwise. I said the same hours as before the June '10 cuts and he got unhappy.

At same time guys like Gorgor suggested only the X27 return to NX saying there no need for weekend x27/28 service. That where it got intense but never out of control.

I did not say 06:00 - 01:00 seven days a week! We were talking about weekend service...

No, that's not a bit much at all... The X27 should have 30 headways on Saturdays and Sundays, but from 06:00 until 22:00 on Saturdays and until 21:00 on Sundays to Manhattan and run until 01:00 on Saturdays and 24:00 on Sundays. X28 should have the same service, but hourly both Saturday and Sunday. That would be fair and would similar to express bus service given in the Bronx and also in Riverdale.

wrong again VG8. This is your direct statement. You said 1:00 on Saturdays which is what the X27/28 already runs that close to late weekdays. Sundays until 11pm you might as well run it till 12 Midnight. Too much service. It should be the same as the BM1-2-3 which leaves 57th St at 11pm Saturdays. 10-11pm Saturdays and 8pm Sundays is the latest it should run.

wrong again VG8. This is your direct statement. You said 1:00 on Saturdays which is what the X27/28 already runs that close to late weekdays. Sundays until 11pm you might as well run it till 12 Midnight. Too much service. It should be the same as the BM1-2-3 which leaves 57th St at 11pm Saturdays. 10-11pm Saturdays and 8pm Sundays is the latest it should run.

Uh that says until 01:00 on Saturdays, but NOT 7 days a week...

Uh that says until 01:00 on Saturdays, but NOT 7 days a week...

That basically (other than the BXM1 and BXM7) the same hours as the Bronx express buses as what i am saying you proposed earlier. Do you not get it VG8 there a reason the X27/28 weekend service was cut. Yes a bad decision by the MTA but what i suggested earlier is what the X27/28 needed. VG8 just admit you love the express buses. Plus if the X27/28 could run until 1am 6 days a week under your plan so should the BM1 2 and 3 and also the X10 and X17..

The latest the X27/28 on Saturdays should be the last bus leaving 57th at 11pm not 1am.

That basically (other than the BXM1 and BXM7) the same hours as the Bronx express buses as what i am saying you proposed earlier. Do you not get it VG8 there a reason the X27/28 weekend service was cut. Yes a bad decision by the MTA but what i suggested earlier is what the X27/28 needed. VG8 just admit you love the express buses. Plus if the X27/28 could run until 1am 6 days under your plan so should the BM1 2 and 3 and also the X10 and X17..

The latest the X27/28 on Saturdays should be the last bus leaving 57th at 11pm not 1am.

This has nothing to do with loving express buses but a need that these communities have. Like I said the X27 and X28 are only behind the X1, X17 and X10 in terms of overall ridership in the NYCT Express bus system and weekend service is needed. Oh and the BxM1 never runs until 01:00... Maybe you're thinking about the BxM2 which runs until 01:15 on Saturdays to Riverdale?

As for the other routes, this thread is about the X28 not the BM1, BM2, BM3 or X10 or X17. FYI, I have spoken at MTA hearings for later service for the X1, X10 and X17, so that's another topic.

This has nothing to do with loving express buses but a need that these communities have. Like I said the X27 and X28 are only behind the X1, X17 and X10 in terms of overall ridership in the NYCT Express bus system and weekend service is needed. Oh and the BxM1 never runs until 01:00... Maybe you're thinking about the BxM2 which runs until 01:15 on Saturdays to Riverdale?

As for the other routes, this thread is about the X28 not the BM1, BM2, BM3 or X10 or X17. FYI, I have spoken at MTA hearings for later service for the X1, X10 and X17, so that's another topic.

I agree with running the X10 and X17 until 1am (on lack of network coverage) since SI is many miles from nearest subway station.And dont forget the X1 is running 24/7 starting early next year.

The X27/28 does have subway service alternatives unlike the X1 X10 X17 and even several of the Bronx express bus lines. Thus why IMO 11pm is latest the X27 should run Saturdays Nights and 8pm Sundays. Plus it is an increase in weekend service compared to before June '10.

And while this thread is about the x27/28 riders on the BM1 BM2 and BM3 will also get furious to demand saturday service return till at least Midnight. Mill Basin/Bergen Beach on BM1 is much farter away from a subway than the X27 is to the (R) line in Bay Ridge. That my point.

I agree with running the X10 and X17 until 1am (on lack of network coverage) since SI is many miles from nearest subway station.And dont forget the X1 is running 24/7 starting early next year.

The X27/28 does have subway service alternatives unlike the X1 X10 X17 and even several of the Bronx express bus lines. Thus why IMO 11pm is latest the X27 should run Saturdays Nights and 8pm Sundays. Plus it is an increase in weekend service compared to before June '10.

And while this thread is about the x27/28 riders on the BM1 BM2 and BM3 will also get furious to demand saturday service return till at least Midnight. Mill Basin/Bergen Beach on BM1 is much farter away from a subway than the X27 is to the (R) line in Bay Ridge. That my point.

lol... But the BM1, BM2 and BM3 riders still have service until 00:00 on Saturdays so that's a moot point. What I've been cranky about was the cut in Manhattan bound express bus service on Saturdays for the BM3. As for X27 riders, you can't be serious with that (R) comment. Folks along Shore Road would have to make several transfers, not to mention that the (R) runs like crap and is painfully slow. I know because I used to deal with it before I started using the express bus on Staten Island. As for the X28, as was said before, the X28 does not go where the (D) goes so that is a moot point.

You do realize that just because a route might have amazing usage during weekdays, it can still fail on weekends as is the case with the X28. Being a highly used weekday bus has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with weekend service. We have the statistics for how such low ridership the X28 got on weekends, and you're discrediting that simply because the route has high weekday usage.

You do realize that just because a route might have amazing usage during weekdays, it can still fail on weekends as is the case with the X28. Being a highly used weekday bus has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with weekend service. We have the statistics for how such low ridership the X28 got on weekends, and you're discrediting that simply because the route has high weekday usage.

Uh no... For starters, the affected communities would disagree with you. Furthermore the MTA agreed that cutting the X27 and X28 on weekends was a painful cut and that's one reason they brought back the X27 on weekends and have tried to accommodate the affected communities of Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst and Bath Beach by having the X17 stop at 7th & 86th street until more funding can be found to restore the X28 on weekends. As was stated before, whether you or anyone likes it, we will continue to fight to get the X28 restored. You just have a problem with us because unlike your community, folks fight to get their services back.

Just throwing it out there, but the X10 runs until 1:15AM on weekdays.

Uh no... For starters, the affected communities would disagree with you. Furthermore the MTA agreed that cutting the X27 and X28 on weekends was a painful cut and that's one reason they brought back the X27 on weekends and have tried to accommodate the affected communities of Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst and Bath Beach by having the X17 stop at 7th & 86th street until more funding can be found to restore the X28 on weekends. As was stated before, whether you or anyone likes it, we will continue to fight to get the X28 restored. You just have a problem with us because unlike your community, folks fight to get their services back.

How would they disagree with him? The ridership was low. That's a proven fact.

And we're not talking about the X27. We're talking about the X28. Yeah, they've tried to get the X17 to cover that area. That should be enough.

Are you still trying to pin this on me and the X90? I support bringing back the X27 on weekends and having the X17 make a stop in Brooklyn, so whatever you're thinking isn't right.

The X12/X42 have the 6th highest annual ridership for express buses, but they only run rush hour peak direction? You know why that is? Even though it's heavily used at a certain time period, it would have barely any ridership at any other time. Same thing goes for the X28 and statistics prove that the X28 had barely any ridership during weekends.

And I don't care if communities are fighting for something. They can fight all they want; but once again, statistics prove that hardly anyone used the service that they were fighting to get back.

And not only do you want to bring back such a failed service, but you want to increase service hours. I don't understand your reasoning at all.

Are you still trying to pin this on me and the X90? I support bringing back the X27 on weekends and having the X17 make a stop in Brooklyn, so whatever you're thinking isn't right.

The X12/X42 have the 6th highest annual ridership for express buses, but they only run rush hour peak direction? You know why that is? Even though it's heavily used at a certain time period, it would have barely any ridership at any other time. Same thing goes for the X28 and statistics prove that the X28 had barely any ridership during weekends.

And I don't care if communities are fighting for something. They can fight all they want; but once again, statistics prove that hardly anyone used the service that they were fighting to get back.

And not only do you want to bring back such a failed service, but you want to increase service hours. I don't understand your reasoning at all.

Well like I said, we won the fight because we have the X17 stopping there for now in the near future. Bringing the X28 back down the road on weekends is still the ultimate goal though and we feel that when the economy improves ridership will improve as well. As for the X12, I would tend to disagree with you. Many X12 riders use the X10 so if the X12 was extended it would see some usage. FYI, it runs outside of rush hours and the last bus is usually packed (20:00 bus). I know because it was my late bus when the X30 and X14 stopped running.

As for your claims of wanting the X27 back I don't buy it. In previous threads you complained about why Bay Ridge and other affluent areas of Southern Brooklyn like Dyker Heights needed express bus service all because your X90 was cut. Sorry but I didn't forget. As much as I support bringing back the X90, the if I can't have my express bus service no one else can attitude doesn't fly with me.

Sorry but the service is needed for network coverage. To put things in perspective, the X27 and X28 have the highest ridership of all express buses in the MTA New York City Transit system after the X1, X17 and X10, coming in at 4th and 5th respectively. Many seniors rely on those buses and not having them created a hardship not only for them but for the entire community. Senator Golden and I along with the affected communities understand the importance of maintaining express bus service for Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst and Bath Beach and thus we've been vocal in keeping the service unlike your fellow express bus riders in Yorkville/Upper East Side.

Network coverage is complete crap if no one is using it it doesn't need to run plain and simple. X27 is used X28 isn't get over it it's useless. If a bus only has on average 5 riders per bus it does not need to run get that through your head the women argument is utter CRAP.

Oh really? The X27 serves Shore Road and the X28 runs mainly along Cropsey Avenue and both areas don't have subway service, not to mention that both the X27 and X28 run to East Midtown serving areas where there is no subway nearby, or one would have to make several transfers to get to and from the subway, so I'm not sure what type of alternatives you call that?? For that matter, parts of Shore Road served by the X27 don't even have a local bus running down it, so like I said the service is needed for network coverage.

Furthermore, if riders need the service on Saturday why wouldn't they need it on Sunday? That's like your argument about canning the BxM2 on Sundays, which does get usage BTW and actually saw AN INCREASE in ridership last year in the middle of a recession. Just because every single bus isn't filled doesn't mean that you cut the service. That happens on MANY routes. Ridership will fluctuate and there is nothing you can do but to try to not go crazy with service, but you still have to provide coverage.

Unlike X28 on weekends ppl actually use BXM lines like BXM2. However before any change is made to express bus service all express lines that don't go to SI need to be shown on the subway map as thin lines to increase visibility. Then let the ridership speak for itself. However I might have a compromise extend X27 on weekends and off peak via the belt to make stops at cropsey canal then non stop to emmonds making some BM3 stops up on batchelder or knapp to back roads to garritsen beach ppl will be allowed to travel between sheepshead and bay ridge on it. but the (N) does that to an extent.

Actually we've already reached a compromise with the X17 making the stop at 7th & 86th on Saturdays and Sundays. I think the idea being tossed around was bringing the X28 back eventually when more monies were available. In any event, the (D) does NOT serve the areas served by the X28 in Manhattan, and also requires a transfer from the local bus and perhaps other transfers to the subway and or bus to get from the (D) to the city if one needs the East Side, so the X28 eliminates three or four transfers. It most certainly is not a luxury by any means.

You also raise another point. Many seniors and females have complained because they feel safer on the express bus. Asking seniors especially to make three and four transfers is ridiculous, not to mention the amount of stairs they would have to climb. Senator Golden and I both agree that the X28 must be brought back so that seniors can also go to the city and not be captives in their own homes. The X28 restoration would provide jobs and help stimulate the economy in that folks could go to Broadway shows and dinner and such and spend more money.

BULL I used to use X28 on weekends it's useless barely anybody on it get real women who refuse to use the subway are beyond PATHETIC I laugh in their face for such a stupid logic seniors I can understand women have no excuse the subway is safe However some lines like BM1 are nowhere near the subway and do in fact need more service even at the cost of services ppl do not use will not mention lines you know. In queens QM18 HA HA HA plz (E) is WAY FASTER QM18= useless I barely see ppl on it. Q10 LTD ain't exactly helping the QM18's case.

Honestly, they could have picked a better route for the job than the X17. Hell, you could expand the X12 on to weekends instead of overcrowding the X17.

Err no not the X12 because it mimics X10's Manhattan routing and is a bit close to X10. If you were to add weekend service to any route it should be X42 cause then midtown riders get a faster trip as for former X28 folk midtown service is better than no service reaching downtown has too many alternatives S79 to X1 yes some ppl do it. But I do think X17 can handle it but I would prefer the X42 those looking for downtown will transfer to X1 at fingerboard from X42. But I would let X17 and X42 serve bay ridge at the same time to allow transfers between the 2 lines. Prevosts are needed on X17 plz mta.

Archived