X28 "Restoration" update

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here solution IMO for X27/28 weekend service with opearting hours and headways.

Saturdays

X27 605am-805pm Manhattan Bound

and 805am-1005pm Brooklyn Bound

X27 runs every 30 minutes on Saturdays since it gets higher ridership than the X28.

X28 Saturdays 705am-705pm Manhattan Bound

and 905am-905pm Brooklyn Bound

X28 runs every 60 minutes all times on weekends. If ridership picks up than restore 30-minute Saturday headways for the X28.

Sundays

X27 705am-705pm Manhattan Bound

and 905pm-905pm Bay Ridge Bound

X27 runs every 60 minutes on Sundays.

X28 Sundays (same service hours as Saturdays)

every 60 minutes all times weekends.

It's similar to the opearting hours the X27/28 had before weekend service was canned in June 2010. This is what 'fair" IMO. Knowing VG8 lol he suggest the X27/28 run till Midnight 7 days a week which is a bit much lol. Reactions?

Saturdays

X27 runs every 30 minutes on Saturdays since it gets higher ridership than the X28.

X28 runs every 60 minutes all times on weekends. If ridership picks up than restore 30-minute Saturday headways for the X28.

Sundays

It's similar to the opearting hours the X27/28 had before weekend service was canned in June 2010. This is what 'fair" IMO. Knowing VG8 lol he suggest the X27/28 run till Midnight 7 days a week which is a bit much lol. Reactions?

I am sure B35, VG8 and others also got something to say.

Saturdays

Sundays

No, that's not a bit much at all... The X27 should have 30 headways on Saturdays and Sundays, but from 06:00 until 22:00 on Saturdays and until 21:00 on Sundays to Manhattan and run until 01:00 on Saturdays and 24:00 on Sundays. X28 should have the same service, but hourly both Saturday and Sunday. That would be fair and would similar to express bus service given in the Bronx and also in Riverdale.

The X17's would have standees if that were to happen. The buses already come from SI packed to the gills...

On Saturdays I don't think the buses are that crowded, especially since they added the new service. The X28 really didn't have that much ridership on the weekends, so I think the buses could handle it.

No, that's not a bit much at all... The X27 should have 30 headways on Saturdays and Sundays, but from 06:00 until 22:00 on Saturdays and until 21:00 on Sundays to Manhattan and run until 01:00 on Saturdays and 24:00 on Sundays. X28 should have the same service, but hourly both Saturday and Sunday. That would be fair and would similar to express bus service given in the Bronx and also in Riverdale.

That's more service than they had before. Hell, even the X10 ends earlier than that.

Just to put things in perspective:

These are the statistics for weekend ridership for the entire weekend (Saturday and Sunday combined)

X27: 5.2 riders per bus, 90 buses, 467 riders

X28: 3.7 riders per bus, 86 buses, 316 riders

Compared to the weekend ridership for these express bus routes...

X1: 25.9 riders per bus, 189 buses, 4898 riders

X10: 23.7 riders per bus, 112 buses, 2654 riders

BxM7: 17.3 riders per bus, 159 buses, 2743 riders

BxM1: 12.5 riders per bus, 88 buses, 1103 riders

Just to put things in perspective:

These are the statistics for weekend ridership for the entire weekend (Saturday and Sunday combined)

X27: 5.2 riders per bus, 90 buses, 467 riders

X28: 3.7 riders per bus, 86 buses, 316 riders

Compared to the weekend ridership for these express bus routes...

X1: 25.9 riders per bus, 189 buses, 4898 riders

X10: 23.7 riders per bus, 112 buses, 2654 riders

BxM7: 17.3 riders per bus, 159 buses, 2743 riders

BxM1: 12.5 riders per bus, 88 buses, 1103 riders

Sorry but the service is needed for network coverage. To put things in perspective, the X27 and X28 have the highest ridership of all express buses in the MTA New York City Transit system after the X1, X17 and X10, coming in at 4th and 5th respectively. Many seniors rely on those buses and not having them created a hardship not only for them but for the entire community. Senator Golden and I along with the affected communities understand the importance of maintaining express bus service for Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst and Bath Beach and thus we've been vocal in keeping the service unlike your fellow express bus riders in Yorkville/Upper East Side.

1am? You realize you dont live in SW Brooklyn anymore right VG8? And why the same as the Bronx express (you live in Bronx VG8 not Riverdale and stop with your elist comments).

You also know the X28 (X27 has better ridership)often had zero riders. You want to waste gas and thus increased fares VG8? The x10 should run until 1am 7 days a week not the x27/28! Got a girlfriend in SW Brooklyn we dont know about?

I can see the X27 running until 11pm Saturdays and Sundays! However unlike the X10 and X17 riders, SW Brooklyn do have the subway as alternative!

Sorry to be blunt but you never compromise!

1am? You realize you dont live in SW Brooklyn anymore right VG8? And why the same as the Bronx express (you live in Bronx VG8 not Riverdale and stop with your elist comments).

You also know the X28 (X27 has better ridership)often had zero riders. You want to waste gas and thus increased fares VG8?

Sorry to be blunt but you never compromise!

First off I go back to South Brooklyn frequently so I'm well aware of the ridership that these buses see. Second, last I checked I live in Riverdale unless I moved again, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic at hand??? Third I did compromise. If you read what I wrote, I said that the X28 should have HOURLY service. Like I said the X27 and X28 are ranked 4th & 5th overall in terms of the highest ridership in the MTA New York City Transit Express Bus system and the service is needed for network coverage.

First off I go back to South Brooklyn frequently so I'm well aware of the ridership that these buses see. Second, last I checked I live in Riverdale unless I moved again, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic at hand??? Third I did compromise. If you read what I wrote, I said that the X28 should have HOURLY service. Like I said the X27 and X28 are ranked 4th & 5th overall in terms of the highest ridership in the MTA New York City Transit Express Bus system and the service is needed for network coverage.

I already agreed that the X27/28 should run until 10-11pm(last bus leaving 57th St)Saturdays. I just dont think it needs to run until 1am anytime on Sundays or any time.

Plus unlike SI the X27/28 have transit alternatives. I always agreed VG8 that the X27/28 should have at least on Saturday service. Just disagree on running the X27/28 that late in the evening on weekends since I have witnessed myself riding at least X28 buses with empty or zero riders on most trips Sundays.

FYI. That data Checkmate showing the X27/28 ridership is I am sure weekday since they have not run on weekends in over 2 years.

I already agreed that the X27/28 should run until 10-11pm(last bus leaving 57th St)Saturdays. I just dont think it needs to run until 1am anytime on Sundays or any time.

Plus unlike SI the X27/28 have transit alternatives. I always agreed VG8 that the X27/28 should have at least on Saturday service. Just disagree on running the X27/28 that late in the evening on weekends since I have witnessed myself riding at least X28 buses with empty or zero riders on most trips Sundays.

FYI. That data Checkmate showing the X27/28 ridership is I am sure weekday since they have not run on weekends in over 2 years.

Oh really? The X27 serves Shore Road and the X28 runs mainly along Cropsey Avenue and both areas don't have subway service, not to mention that both the X27 and X28 run to East Midtown serving areas where there is no subway nearby, or one would have to make several transfers to get to and from the subway, so I'm not sure what type of alternatives you call that?? For that matter, parts of Shore Road served by the X27 don't even have a local bus running down it, so like I said the service is needed for network coverage.

Furthermore, if riders need the service on Saturday why wouldn't they need it on Sunday? That's like your argument about canning the BxM2 on Sundays, which does get usage BTW and actually saw AN INCREASE in ridership last year in the middle of a recession. Just because every single bus isn't filled doesn't mean that you cut the service. That happens on MANY routes. Ridership will fluctuate and there is nothing you can do but to try to not go crazy with service, but you still have to provide coverage.

The X27's isolation is why it gets the ridership it does.

The X28 along Cropsey has the B3, B6, B8, or B82 to access the subway. On weekends that should suffice - an express bus is a luxury, and it shouldn't take priority over no-alternatives route restorations.

The X27's isolation is why it gets the ridership it does.

The X28 along Cropsey has the B3, B6, B8, or B82 to access the subway. On weekends that should suffice - an express bus is a luxury, and it shouldn't take priority over no-alternatives route restorations.

Let me ask again, where exactly does the (D) run to in Manhattan and where does the X28 go to in Manhattan??? The express bus is NOT a luxury. It is a NEED for many residents and seniors of the area.

Let me ask again, where exactly does the (D) run to in Manhattan and where does the X28 go to in Manhattan??? The express bus is NOT a luxury. It is a NEED for many residents and seniors of the area.

The (D), in addition to the transfers it has, like the (6) and (F) (both ADA transfers IIRC), covers the East Side sufficiently. The (R) and IRT cover Downtown as well (ADA transfer at Atlantic).

The express bus is a premium service. On weekends especially, with all those alternatives they have, it's not a need - they can commute just fine without it. Sure, it may be convenient, but it's pretty low on the list of priorities.

The (D), in addition to the transfers it has, like the (6) and (F) (both ADA transfers IIRC), covers the East Side sufficiently. The (R) and IRT cover Downtown as well (ADA transfer at Atlantic).

The express bus is a premium service. On weekends especially, with all those alternatives they have, it's not a need - they can commute just fine without it. Sure, it may be convenient, but it's pretty low on the list of priorities.

Well that's easy for you to say, as you don't face the commute that they do. You're very good at telling people about what is easy for them and what isn't. Some nerve. Like I said, there are people that need that bus regardless of whether or not it is a premium service. The alternatives that you describe, whether you realize it or not requires several transfers and residents with easy access to the X28 should not have to make several transfers when they have an express bus nearby that can take them to their destination much quicker.

I wonder if you would be calling for a premium service like the LIRR or MetroNorth to be cut if they had that instead of the express bus? I highly doubt it.

Oh really? The X27 serves Shore Road and the X28 runs mainly along Cropsey Avenue and both areas don't have subway service, not to mention that both the X27 and X28 run to East Midtown serving areas where there is no subway nearby, or one would have to make several transfers to get to and from the subway, so I'm not sure what type of alternatives you call that?? For that matter, parts of Shore Road served by the X27 don't even have a local bus running down it, so like I said the service is needed for network coverage.

Furthermore, if riders need the service on Saturday why wouldn't they need it on Sunday? That's like your argument about canning the BxM2 on Sundays, which does get usage BTW and actually saw AN INCREASE in ridership last year in the middle of a recession. Just because every single bus isn't filled doesn't mean that you cut the service. That happens on MANY routes. Ridership will fluctuate and there is nothing you can do but to try to not go crazy with service, but you still have to provide coverage.

I use to live in SW Brooklyn so I know what i am talking about it. I occaional use the X28 up until weekend service was cut in '10. Not to mention when i still lived w/ my parents in Sea Gate between 2001-2004 i used it reguarly.

On your point Vg8. I suggested Saturday service as a compromise that all to have something or nothing. If that the case, then do we run the old Q79, Q74, B37, etc. 24 hours a day VG8? That what it sounds like what you want?

It it fluctuate that dramtic on a Sunday like the x27/28, then why not every bus route in NYC run 24/7? It takes more for gas and paying drivers.

The ()' /> is not an unlimit budget then you make adjustments and thus earlier running times for at least the X28 to end? Yes you want people of the cars but you need to spread the monies around too.

Then we should run the BM1, BM2 and BM3 on Sundays under your argument VG8. Many places in suburus of NYC and around dont run Sunday service. In that case off topic, I always felt that the MTA should private the express buses since they could run 7 days a week at less cost. Not to mention MTA could focus on the subways and local buses. MTA would still own the routes but have a private company run it.

FYI. Cropsey is about at most 1/2 mile from the (D) line stops between 18th Avenue and Stillwell Terminal. It's Shore Road that a sizable distance to the (R) line at 4th Avenue. Routes like the SI routes and in Bronx the BXM1/2 and BXM9 Throgs Neck are couple of miles from a nearby subway which is a big difference.

NX you and VG8 are extremes on both sides. I disagree NX in which some form of weekend X27/28 service is needed. It had too much service prior to June 2010 cuts. Saturday X27/28 service had good ridership, while sunday was very low. Plus most of the (D) and (R) line stations in SW Brooklyn are still not ADA accessible.

Plus with a ton of seniors and some riders especially woman who wont use mass transit unless it's a express bus, the ()' /> should have recuced not totally end weekend X27/28 service.

Thus i believe my earlier proposal of X27/28 is fair compromise.

I use to live in SW Brooklyn so I know what i am talking about it. I occaional use the X28 up until weekend service was cut in '10. Not to mention when i still lived w/ my parents in Sea Gate between 2001-2004 i used it reguarly.

On your point Vg8. I suggested Saturday service as a compromise that all to have something or nothing. If that the case, then do we run the old Q79, Q74, B37, etc. 24 hours a day VG8? That what it sounds like what you want?

It it fluctuate that dramtic on a Sunday like the x27/28, then why not every bus route in NYC run 24/7? It takes more for gas and paying drivers.

The ()' /> is not an unlimit budget then you make adjustments and thus earlier running times for at least the X28 to end? Yes you want people of the cars but you need to spread the monies around too.

Then we should run the BM1, BM2 and BM3 on Sundays under your argument VG8. Many places in suburus of NYC and around dont run Sunday service. In that case off topic, I always felt that the MTA should private the express buses since they could run 7 days a week at less cost. Not to mention MTA could focus on the subways and local buses. MTA would still own the routes but have a private company run it.

FYI. Cropsey is about at most 1/2 mile from the (D) line stops between 18th Avenue and Stillwell Terminal. It's Shore Road that a sizable distance to the (R) line at 4th Avenue. Routes like the SI routes and in Bronx the BXM1/2 and BXM9 Throgs Neck are couple of miles from a nearby subway which is a big difference.

Actually we've already reached a compromise with the X17 making the stop at 7th & 86th on Saturdays and Sundays. I think the idea being tossed around was bringing the X28 back eventually when more monies were available. In any event, the (D) does NOT serve the areas served by the X28 in Manhattan, and also requires a transfer from the local bus and perhaps other transfers to the subway and or bus to get from the (D) to the city if one needs the East Side, so the X28 eliminates three or four transfers. It most certainly is not a luxury by any means.

NX you and VG8 are extremes on both sides. I disagree NX in which some form of weekend X27/28 service is needed. It had too much prior to June 2010 cuts. Saturday X27/28 service had good ridership while sunday was very low. Plus most of the (D) and (R) line stations in SW Brooklyn are still not ADA accessible.

Plus with a ton of seniors and some riders especially woman who wont use mass transit unless it's a express bus, the ()' /> should have recuced not totally end weekend X27/28 service.

Thus i believe my earlier proposal of X27/28 is fair compromise.

You also raise another point. Many seniors and females have complained because they feel safer on the express bus. Asking seniors especially to make three and four transfers is ridiculous, not to mention the amount of stairs they would have to climb. Senator Golden and I both agree that the X28 must be brought back so that seniors can also go to the city and not be captives in their own homes. The X28 restoration would provide jobs and help stimulate the economy in that folks could go to Broadway shows and dinner and such and spend more money.

And this is why America is going downhill IMO. No compromise. NX says screw the ADA/Senor Community and is a hater of express buses. While VG8 is an express bus lover and wants every express bus to run 7 days a week if he could.

And on the Broadway point, even with the weekend cut on X27/28 service they had one of their best years ever in ticket sales. Plus much of the audience are from all over the US and beyond the local NYC residents saying a broadway show has gone down. So incorrect stat VG8 :D . I buy the point it helps Manhattan businesses if X27/28 weekend service ran but not on the Broadway show point.

Sorry but the service is needed for network coverage. To put things in perspective, the X27 and X28 have the highest ridership of all express buses in the MTA New York City Transit system after the X1, X17 and X10, coming in at 4th and 5th respectively. Many seniors rely on those buses and not having them created a hardship not only for them but for the entire community. Senator Golden and I along with the affected communities understand the importance of maintaining express bus service for Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst and Bath Beach and thus we've been vocal in keeping the service unlike your fellow express bus riders in Yorkville/Upper East Side.

Network coverage only refer to basic public transit coverages and not express bus service which is special. If express buses were count as network coverage they must restore QM22 in my area of Astoria which wont happening.

Archived