X28 "Restoration" update

Via Garibaldi 8

X28 weekend service has now been finalized. The X17 will serve Dyker Heights, with a stop being made at 7th & 86th street for anyone needing the X28. The X28 will run the regular route during the week along with the X38. The X27 has maintained all service on the weekends prior to the 2010 cuts.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad job by the (MTA). If the X27 was brought back so should the X28 even at 1-hour headways on weekends. Just a month ago or so i rode a X17 that was SRO on a Saturday afternoon.

Even if they just brought the X28 on Saturdays it's better issue than this. Not to mention you could have shortned the X28 Brooklyn terminal to Stillwell terminal or Cropsey/25th Avenue instead of running to Sea Gate. Just some thoughts.

I hope the X27 only runs hourly...if it runs half hourly it would cost too much. I do agree that the x17 is too crowded of a bus to reroute to Bay Ridge. Limited x28 service (Sat and Sun but restricted span hourly) would be a good idea too.

Bad job by the (MTA). If the X27 was brought back so should the X28 even at 1-hour headways on weekends. Just a month ago or so i rode a X17 that was SRO on a Saturday afternoon.

Even if they just brought the X28 on Saturdays it's better issue than this. Not to mention you could have shortned the X28 Brooklyn terminal to Stillwell terminal or Cropsey/25th Avenue instead of running to Sea Gate. Just some thoughts.

Well I think there were a number of things at play, particularly politics. The X27 runs through all of Senator Golden's district in Bay Ridge, which was the most vocal and it was completely restored, not only because of the push from the community and Golden's relentless efforts but also because the X27 has the ridership to justify the service. Golden mainly serves Dyker Heights & Bensonhurst for the X28 and that's the main reason why it was done this way. He does not represent Sea Gate nor Coney Island and Dyker Heights was the one that was the most vocal for the X28, so that's why this was done this way, this way folks in Dyker Heights and Bensonhurst still have express bus access, as most folks in that area are home owners and can use the local bus (B64) or drive over to the X28.

The X28 restoration will be an ongoing process, as I expressed my desire to see it restored fully with reduced frequencies if necessary. However, this is a decent compromise considering the financial situation of the (MTA) at the moment. The service will be utilized on the X17 and service is being expanded on the X17 and if the X28 weekend usage expands, more service can be added and the X28 can run on its own again. I am disappointed though because I used the X28 down to the Stillwell Av terminal on Sundays to get over to Sheepshead Bay sometimes. It was quicker to take the X28 down and then hop on the (Q) to get over to Sheepshead Bay, especially getting it Downtown at the next to last stop.

When 86th/BQE service road(around 7th Ave.) become a park ride area lol? Seriously it already hard to get parking in that area. Not to mention the "B1" is busy even on weekend. Not only those coming from Bay Ridge shopping, etc. but also transfering to the SI buses.

As far as the X17 stopping on weekends, it should be "limited" service like every other bus (assuming it has 30 minutes headways)to provide a faster alternative to Bay Ridge to/from the SI South Shore. Similar to say the BXM3 and BXm7 make a stop at 125th/Harlem on very few trips.

Watch in end, IMO the X28 will return on weekends. Even if only ran between Midtown and Cropsey/25th Ave or Stillwell hourly say saturdays 7am-8pm and sundays 8am-6pm. That what i would propose.

I

When 86th/BQE service road(around 7th Ave.) become a park ride area lol? Seriously it already hard to get parking in that area. Not to mention the "B1" is busy even on weekend. Not only those coming from Bay Ridge shopping, etc. but also transfering to the SI buses.

As far as the X17 stopping on weekends, it should be "limited" service like every other bus (assuming it has 30 minutes headways)to provide a faster alternative to Bay Ridge to/from the SI South Shore. Similar to say the BXM3 and BXm7 make a stop at 125th/Harlem on very few trips.

Watch in end, IMO the X28 will return on weekends. Even if only ran between Midtown and Cropsey/25th Ave or Stillwell hourly say saturdays 7am-8pm and sundays 8am-6pm. That what i would propose.

I

lol... I have no doubt that it'll return eventually once the (MTA)'s finances get better. I just finished replying to Senator Golden's e-mail regarding the X27 and X28 and told him that I want to work with him to get the X28 fully restored on the weekends. Mind you I had been contacting him for over a year regarding the B2, B4, B31, B64 and the X27 and X28 and eventually he along with other representatives came together to get the job done. He was iffy on working on the B4 originally since it didn't run in his district entirely in Sheepshead Bay, but once Cymbrowitz got on board, the two of them worked together along with the community of Sheepshead Bay and he went on and focused on the B2 and then collaborated with other representatives on the B64. My next task is working on the BM3 to get some Saturday service restored back to the city and then if things get better we can revisit overnight service on the B31. Senator Golden and I both agree that the B31 needs to be restored or at least ran longer overnight to serve Gerritsen Beach. We feel that without it, it forces people to stay in that would otherwise be out and about spending money to stimulate the economy and generate tax revenues for the neighborhood and for the (MTA).

He does not represent Sea Gate nor Coney Island and Dyker Heights was the one that was the most vocal for the X28, so that's why this was done this way, this way folks in Dyker Heights and Bensonhurst still have express bus access, as most folks in that area are home owners and can use the local bus (B64) or drive over to the X28.

The B64 doesn't connect to 86th Street in Bay Ridge anymore.

This is pretty interesting having an SI route stop in Dyker Heights. I honestly thnk you're better off in the long run with having X28 weekends.

This is a short term solution due to the financial situation of the (MTA). Folks that live along Cropsey and further down can either drive to the X28, or walk over to Bath Av to the B64 and take that so far and either walk the rest of the way to the X28 or transfer at 86th for the B1. I will be using the route myself to see how it works here and there and will be in touch with Senator Golden to continue the push to restore the X28 fully on weekends. I will probably suggest having an open ongoing petition to Senator Golden, which was what we had before when we were trying to get weekend service restored on both lines.

Long term it will not work and I will stress to Senator Golden the importance of getting full service restored later on for the line. The X28 has a great deal of seniors that use the line along Cropsey Av that unless they drive, will more than likely have to take two local buses to reach the X28.

why not run a conbined 27/28 service on weekends

Well since you think it should be combined, explain how that would work and why folks in Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst, etc... would be willing to endure going through that...

well if they want the service they might have to .

That's the point: They want service, but if it's too indirect, they won't use it. It's a lot faster for them to make their way over to 7th Avenue & 86th Street and take the X17, which gets right onto the expressway, then it is to go around on local streets through Bay Ridge.

well if they want the service they might have to .

We'll see how the X17 works out stopping there. It is clear why this was done. The X17 will be well utilized, and there is simply not enough money to have the X17 run on Sundays AND restore the X28, nor is there enough ridership on the X28 to justify fully restoring it at this point. I was hopeful for restoration on a reduced frequency but for right now Golden has to focus on his district and that's what he did. He found a way to get Dyker Heights and Bensonhurst some sort of express bus service on the weekends and that's a start. This is also good for Staten Island, especially with the rapid growth on the South Shore, so having the X17 on Sundays was a no brainer in general. Having it stop in Dyker Heights will ensure that it'll get more usage and eventually they'll be forced to run the X28 back when the financial situation improves more. Quite frankly if I were an X17 rider I would not be thrilled about his even though it is one stop. I used to use the X17 and take car service over to the last stop before it got on the expressway to have a one stop ride to the city and now this has been taken away on the weekends, but a compromise had to be made. This is a win win for the South Shore which should've had Sunday service a long time ago and in addition to that expanded service via the X22 which is good as well.

I think that they'd rather shlepp it out to the (D) train or the new X17 stop than spend nearly an hour just driving around Brooklyn before going to Manhattan.

Now what are you going to do about the X90?? I think it should be restored with the frequencies cut back a bit to adhere to demand and am willing to get the gears started if you are?

--

Oh and to my other express bus riders, Bounad in particular, it is great what you are doing for the QM20. Don't give up. The (MTA) has admitted that having Downtown service is a good thing and the QM20 is well used. Now you have to keep on them to get it. You have my support as well, even though I have my own battles do deal with.

my question is why spend 1 milion ( note) on running 24 hrs service on the x1 that money could be used for servicee on other neededc routes.

note, i was told of this cost by a well inforned sorce last year.

You clearly know NOTHING about Staten Island OR the X1 for that matter. This is why I get so annoyed because people come up with these comments about express buses and DON'T use them. The X1 has the highest ridership out of all express buses in the entire system and the last buses of the night (which I've been on to Staten Island) are usually SRO, especially on the weekends, not to mention that folks that live on the South Shore have the highest commutes in the entire country. Some folks have a 2 1/2 hour commute at times one way, and for the most part most Staten Islanders have an hour to an hour and a half commute each way. I suppose you would say the same thing about money being "wasted" on MetroNorth too if you had people standing all over the place right? Express buses are COMMUTER buses just like MetroNorth and the LIRR. The only difference is that they are buses and not trains. If you've got such a problem with the X1, why don't you fork over the money to build a light rail or a subway, neither of which Staten Island has. I really don't get people at all. If the local buses and subways are overcrowded people say add service, but if express buses are overcrowded, why are we "wasting" money and adding more service... <_< In short these people pay taxes just like other New Yorkers, and they need transportation as well.

I used to use the X17 and take car service over to the last stop before it got on the expressway to have a one stop ride to the city and now this has been taken away on the weekends, but a compromise had to be made. This is a win win for the South Shore which should've had Sunday service a long time ago and in addition to that expanded service via the X22 which is good as well.

Having Sunday service with the extra stop is better than no Sunday service.

And notice how he keeps going nuts any time an extension is proposed, talking about how it'll delay the bus route, and here he is saying how an extension to Tottenville is oh-so-wonderful.

my question is why spend 1 milion ( note) on running 24 hrs service on the x1 that money could be used for servicee on other neededc routes.

Well, to be fair, it isn't like it's unneeded. I mean, I've seen a few X1s & X10s fairly late into the evening and they're reasonably full. (I remember taking the next-to-last X10 once coming back from Six Flags and most of the seats were taken). I could definitely see an overnight X1 being well-utilized, and with the ferry running every 60 minutes, it's not like it's unneeded.

note, i was told of this cost by a well inforned sorce last year.

Just STOP you know nothing about X1 UNLIKE BM& QM SI expresses especially the X1 are VERY WELL USED X1 needs 24/7 service the ferry is COMPLETE SHIT!!!!! DO NOT even bring up S79 to (R) then (N) ppl will curb stomp you for even bringing it up.

X17 will get RAPED with crowds badly it would be SMARTER to add off-peak service to X19 extend offpeak to tottenville then stop at bay ridge instead of X17. SI express buses run like city buses in terms of frequency for a reason.

You clearly know NOTHING about Staten Island OR the X1 for that matter. This is why I get so annoyed because people come up with these comments about express buses and DON'T use them. The X1 has the highest ridership out of all express buses in the entire system and the last buses of the night (which I've been on to Staten Island) are usually SRO, especially on the weekends, not to mention that folks that live on the South Shore have the highest commutes in the entire country. Some folks have a 2 1/2 hour commute at times one way, and for the most part most Staten Islanders have an hour to an hour and a half commute each way. I suppose you would say the same thing about money being "wasted" on MetroNorth too if you had people standing all over the place right? Express buses are COMMUTER buses just like MetroNorth and the LIRR. The only difference is that they are buses and not trains. If you've got such a problem with the X1, why don't you fork over the money to build a light rail or a subway, neither of which Staten Island has. I really don't get people at all. If the local buses and subways are overcrowded people say add service, but if express buses are overcrowded, why are we "wasting" money and adding more service... <_< In short these people pay taxes just like other New Yorkers, and they need transportation as well.

Well said buddy well said. How many ppl actually use BM3 on saturdays?? be realistic I bet not many The 1st BM that can use a restoration in sat service is BM1!!!!!!!!!!! Before boosting any BM route the BM1 should be the first to get any boost in service period.

Archived