X28 "Restoration" update

Via Garibaldi 8

Just STOP you know nothing about X1 UNLIKE BM& QM SI expresses especially the X1 are VERY WELL USED X1 needs 24/7 service the ferry is COMPLETE SHIT!!!!! DO NOT even bring up S79 to (R) then (N) ppl will curb stomp you for even bringing it up.

X17 will get RAPED with crowds badly it would be SMARTER to add off-peak service to X19 extend offpeak to tottenville then stop at bay ridge instead of X17. SI express buses run like city buses in terms of frequency for a reason.

Dude, shit ain't that serious

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just STOP you know nothing about X1 UNLIKE BM& QM SI expresses especially the X1 are VERY WELL USED X1 needs 24/7 service the ferry is COMPLETE SHIT!!!!! DO NOT even bring up S79 to (R) then (N) ppl will curb stomp you for even bringing it up.

X17 will get RAPED with crowds badly it would be SMARTER to add off-peak service to X19 extend offpeak to tottenville then stop at bay ridge instead of X17. SI express buses run like city buses in terms of frequency for a reason.

Well said buddy well said. How many ppl actually use BM3 on saturdays?? be realistic I bet not many The 1st BM that can use a restoration in sat service is BM1!!!!!!!!!!! Before boosting any BM route the BM1 should be the first to get any boost in service period.

I did not understand foam about that, but anyways

X19:You do notice thats a lower Manhattan Only bus and it goes via NJ Turnpike. Its bascially the lower Manhattan version of the X17C. The X17 would be most viable because it goes to Midtown, which is where people wanna go. Sure Lower Manhttan has some place, but the majority of people wanna go to Midtown, not downtown. Dont mention extending the X19 all the way to Midtown, because it would be better just to have one route to Midtown instead of two routes down the same exact thing paralleling each other. Besides, if the X17 will get raped with service,wouldnt it be easier if the MTA made it more frequent. And what does the BM1/3 have to do with this?

Umm... Was that necessary?

I did not understand foam about that, but anyways

X19:You do notice thats a lower Manhattan Only bus and it goes via NJ Turnpike. Its bascially the lower Manhattan version of the X17C. The X17 would be most viable because it goes to Midtown, which is where people wanna go. Sure Lower Manhttan has some place, but the majority of people wanna go to Midtown, not downtown. Dont mention extending the X19 all the way to Midtown, because it would be better just to have one route to Midtown instead of two routes down the same exact thing paralleling each other. Besides, if the X17 will get raped with service,wouldnt it be easier if the MTA made it more frequent. And what does the BM1/3 have to do with this?

The X19 doesn't go through Jersey. It takes the Staten Island Expressway to the Battery tunnel just like the X17C.

For what purpose?

To avoid the confusion of the different X17 branches. Even I get confused by it lol. If the X27/28 could have a express branch called the X37/38 why not the X17?

And Threxx have you been on the X1? It SRO as late as 1-2am in morning. Plus it going to be 1 hour-90 minute anyhow as it already runs until 2am anyhow. Might as well run all night.

The S79 to the (R) and (N) should be adequate. I can't imagine more than 10 people on the late night X1, the money is better spent elsewhere...

You clearly don't travel to or know Staten Island.

Taking the S79 from the (N) and (R) is already two transfers, not to mention more depending on where you're coming from and is easily a 2 hour commute ONE way for some people. Hell quite frankly, the commute for most of folks on Staten Island is an hour to an hour and a half each way, even for someone like myself who lived on the North Shore, hence the importance of the express buses. I've used the late X1s a lot and they are used and they get a lot of ridership from Midtown all the way down to Downtown. They don't give the X1 12 minute frequencies late at night just because. The X1 really serves all of Staten Island because folks on the North Shore use it to Staten Island when other express buses stop running (i.e. X10 and X17) and then they either drive home from there, take car service or transfer to the S53, so it is well used and NEEDED. In fact I spoke about the need of later service for the X1, X10 and X17 last year at an (MTA) hearing because there were too many SRO express buses late at night and the service was well overdue. I'm glad they heard my requests because I gave them the straight facts:

-They know the service will be used #1

-#2 Staten Island is seeing rapid population growth while the transportation serving the borough is still inadequate

-#3 The service improvements will decrease overcrowding on Staten Island bound express buses

-#4 The X1, X17 and X10 have the highest ridership numbers out of all express buses in the NYCT system

I even went so far in my speech to the board to suggest that they cut some Manhattan bound express buses later in the evening (which receive less ridership) so that those buses could be used for later service to Staten Island at night as something that could be cost neutral, but in reality, they're already running the bare minimum to Manhattan at those times as well, so there really wasn't much to cut... A bus or two if that, but it would still help, but in the end I'm glad they found the money to add the service.

You really don't understand the difficulties Staten Islanders face in commuting and without the luxury of a MetroNorth like I have in Riverdale, the express bus becomes that much more needed on Staten Island. Even here in Riverdale we get late night express buses and we have MetroNorth and the reason is because the express bus after a certain time is much more convenient. MetroNorth is really only convenient for folks near Grand Central or near one of the MetroNorth stops and then after that you have to either drive home or catch a cab since the Shuttle buses stop running after a certain time, so the express bus eliminates the need for additional transfers and monies spent.

To avoid the confusion of the different X17 branches. Even I get confused by it lol. If the X27/28 could have a express branch called the X37/38 why not the X17?

I suppose, but everyone knows the X17 on Staten Island. Even I've used it on a regular basis and I lived in West Brighton... X17C, X17J...

And Threxx have you been on the X1? It SRO as late as 1-2am in morning. Plus it going to be 1 hour-90 minute anyhow as it already runs until 2am anyhow. Might as well run all night.

On Staten Island, the X1 serves MANY purposes... It serves folks who work at odd hours of the night, folks that go to the city to hang out and shop and so on and so forth and it runs the latest out of all of the express buses, so everyone basically packs on to the X1. Ferry service and the SIR are rather anemic late at night, not to mention the multiple transfers needed and folks on the South Shore are far more dependent on the express bus and can afford it more so than the folks on the North Shore. The South Shore is generally more affluent, where as the North Shore has some very affluent pockets, but with some parts of the North Shore being close to the ferry, fewer folks automatically think about the express bus like they do on the North Shore even if they live in an affluent area like Randall Manor. They would just drive to the ferry.

if there is a need for 24/7 x1 then why does city bound service drop 1 hour after the pm rush and stop running at 10. yes si bound needs to be expanded especial on weekends.

Just because it runs hourly until 22:00 doesn't mean that people don't use it. I've been on those buses too and they too are used. Of course they aren't packed all of the time, but they are well used. It's an issue of money more than anything. Quite frankly I've been on packed X10s running to the city at 21:00 but they run that hourly after a certain time and the last bus is 22:00. That doesn't mean more people don't need it. They just can't afford to add more service and it is considered reverse service which generally wouldn't have as much ridership. As a former Staten Islander, the SRO express buses coming back to Staten Island has been a problem for YEARS and the (MTA) has known it, but like I said, they didn't have the monies available to put in more service. I mean MetroNorth trains aren't all packed and they run those to the city until pretty late but that service is well established and overall MetroNorth ridership is at record highs, so when you have more people riding you look to add service where you can to accommodate those people and to encourage more people to use the service. Same thing with the subway. I don't understand what is so difficult about understanding that people have to get around in all 5 boroughs and if there is no subway in some places, it doesn't mean that people don't need public transportation. We have express bus service in Riverdale until 23:30 and they aren't packed, but I've needed to get to the city late so I used a late bus.

The X19 travels via the Gowanus, not NJ.

In any case, I think this plan is the best (though I still don't think it should be extended to Tottenville. If they really think there is that much demand for Tottenville service, I think they should just add off-peak X22 service once an hour).

I always thought the X17 NJ branch should be renamed to say the X18.

I don't really see the need. I mean, most people know that the "J" stands for "Jersey", and the "C" stands for "Combined". Just ask the driver if you're not sure, or look to see what the sign says.

The S79 to the (R) and (N) should be adequate. I can't imagine more than 10 people on the late night X1, the money is better spent elsewhere...

The S79 has no overnight service.

As for overnight service, it's actually not as costly as you think. The runtime should be shorter because there's less traffic, and you don't have a whole lot of deadheading.

if there is a need for 24/7 x1 then why does city bound service drop 1 hour after the pm rush and stop running at 10. yes si bound needs to be expanded especial on weekends.

If you're running it SI-bound, you might as well run it Manhattan-bound because you save on deadheading. In any case, I remember seeing a Manhattan-bound X1 at Battery Place & Greenwich Street around 11:45 at night on a Saturday, and most of the seats were full.

• 3 weeks later...

It would not seemed right on having the X17 exiting the Gowanus Expressway stopping at 86th St. Just restore the weekend X28 service and that solves everything.

Well that would be a huge ridership generator, don't see why not have it. Probably X28 riders will have to transfer to a local bus

Archived